Thread: ISTp-SLI Description by I/O

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default ISTp-SLI Description by I/O

ISTps have high-resolution, awareness of physical characteristics and phenomena relating to people, things and environments; thus, they easily comprehend the arena and any potential challenges. They're usually adept with tools or instruments, and are keen competitors. Not liking boredom, they prefer to live an active lifestyle and can spend inordinate amounts of time honing their physical skills such as dexterity, strength, endurance and or visual acuity. They develop expertise through experience more so than academic study. They'll adapt to the norms and expectations of society but only to the extent necessary for security and survival. They're very caring and considerate of friends but treat everyone else with reservation. Their needs are: health, sincerity, respect and clarity; and when anyone is in trouble, they're usually the first to step forward.

Most of the time, ISTps appear cool and self-absorbed but when stimulated, an excited, energetic persona can peek through. However, they consider emotional displays as indications of weakness, instability and or potential threat. Even though they can be sensitive, emotionally vulnerable, and easily wounded, they will only show resoluteness and strength to the world, oftentimes with foreboding looks. They find it difficult to peer into the souls of people to see what's truly behind the behaviour so they're not normally open to outsiders and really take offence when strangers try to get too close or personal. They try to avoid conflict, but if they feel slighted, unjustly treated or attacked, they can retaliate quickly and harshly without thinking. Their jumping-to-conclusions and knee-jerk reactions can be rather problematic, and sometimes embarrassing for them.

Deep down, ISTps tend to be optimistic toward their own abilities and usually won't panic or lose hope even in dire situations. Because they're such mediocre planners, ISTps are often faced with unforeseen circumstances, and some are of their own creation; however, they're so resourceful that they can usually extricate themselves from most situations. They're masters at winging it, partially because they don't seem burdened by past failures or future unknowns. They are most productive when goals are visible on the horizon because they hardly ever trust their own intuition to look beyond it.

ISTps will meet their obligations but only to the extent they consider reasonable; crossing the finish line as quickly as possible is their typical objective. They're very stubborn and if they're convinced that what they have provided is good enough, it would be virtually impossible to convince them otherwise; and their resolve to do no more will come across as pure defiance. Their assessments may be rather cold-blooded but their inner selves are reactionary and hot-blooded, which they struggle to keep under control. They do not like unreasonable bureaucracy or having their hands tied. They want specific objectives but also free-rein so they can adapt as they go; and achievement is not nearly as important as winning. Many things they deem unimportant are late or left incomplete.

With a minimalist view, ISTps are economical and prudent with resources - some may say “stingy”. They're more inclined to mend things than throw them away. They express sceptical sentiments such as they've been wronged or shortchanged, particularly when they're trying to excuse themselves or obtain something. To achieve desired effects with people, they're somewhat incompetent so their expectations often end in disappointment; they will sometimes develop very pessimistic views and think that many are out to subvert them. Conspiracy theories can be omnipresent.

ISTps have a natural aptitude for technology, tools and or instruments, and enjoy challenges using these things. They look at work like they would a sport, and the goal is to win; and they'll do anything to stand on the podium. They'll usually come up with the simplest solution or the most direct route. They're very apprehensive about fixed plans and tight schedules because this makes success more difficult, but they love it when they ace the job and others know about it. They become very annoyed with those who are not doing their part for whatever reason; however, they'll usually take the time to show people how to do their job properly. They constantly try to improve their own skill and are very open to new knowledge, and they think that others should do the same. Frequently, they instruct or lecture those who don't want to be educated.

ISTps like it when their abilities and achievements are admired and or appreciated; if not, they can become depressed and lose their desire to continue or even try. Health issues of even a minor nature can also derail them. They need to be 100% healthy, and have challenges or partners that can distract them from monotony. If they're uninspired, they will start multitasking, sometimes ignoring the tasks that they really should be doing. They seem to need constant encouragement to stay focused on routine or things considered unimportant, but they cannot be torn away from their challenges, sometimes becoming obsessive.

ISTps trust only relationships that have produced long-term, smooth, predictable behaviour. In dealing with others, they'll maintain psychological distance and a defensive posture. Their moods depend on how they'retreated by others so they're very intolerant of intrusive, imposing and or condescending people. They can be highly insulted or angered by inferences that they're deficient in any way. Despite their rather high personal standards and feelings of self-righteousness, they can be quite tolerant of human error. ISTps may sometimes try to stick with friends that don't deserve or want their loyalty.

They can easily discern bravado and boasting from actual capability because they can themselves show such behaviour. However, they won't create scenes or incite others because they're very critical of violence and coercion. Paradoxically, there always seems to be indignant rage simmering just below the surface of an ISTp, which can be detected by only the very perceptive. Friends would know that they only resort to violent action if cornered and given no other option; but when they do, they take out all the stops. ISTps are frequently misunderstood and underestimated.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, very perceptive. Much of this rings true with my SLI.

thanks for posting.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

applejacks,

Also I have found that ISTps frequently use the phrase: "I don't care", or a version of it. For the unimportant stuff, I tend to believe them. However, for the times that they really do care (and there are many), they'll still voice the same phrase; it's as if they're trying to convince themselves more than communicate a truth - a coping mechanism. On these occasions, they seem to need an intuitive friend that cares.

a.ka. I/O

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It startles me at how much I relate to this perspective of ISTps. Thank you for your perspective. I like how broken down and seemingly effortless it was to describe.

"They can be highly insulted or angered by inferences that they're deficient in any way. Despite their rather high personal standards and feelings of self-righteousness, they can be quite tolerant of human error. ISTps may sometimes try to stick with friends that don't deserve or want their loyalty."

"Most of the time, ISTps appear cool and self-absorbed but when stimulated, an excited, energetic persona can peek through. However, they consider emotional displays as indications of weakness, instability and or potential threat. Even though they can be sensitive, emotionally vulnerable, and easily wounded, they will only show resoluteness and strength to the world, oftentimes with foreboding looks. They find it difficult to peer into the souls of people to see what's truly behind the behaviour so they're not normally open to outsiders and really take offence when strangers try to get too close or personal. They try to avoid conflict, but if they feel slighted, unjustly treated or attacked, they can retaliate quickly and harshly without thinking. Their jumping-to-conclusions and knee-jerk reactions can be rather problematic, and sometimes embarrassing for them."

"ISTps will meet their obligations but only to the extent they consider reasonable; crossing the finish line as quickly as possible is their typical objective. They're very stubborn and if they're convinced that what they have provided is good enough, it would be virtually impossible to convince them otherwise; and their resolve to do no more will come across as pure defiance. Their assessments may be rather cold-blooded but their inner selves are reactionary and hot-blooded, which they struggle to keep under control. They do not like unreasonable bureaucracy or having their hands tied."

These were the highlights of the description I found particularly eye-opening and wholeheartedly truthful.

T

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE and EII seem to be the types of people who will naturally encourage or get enthusiastic towards someone if they see potential in them. I can see where SLI could need that energy from them to feel motivated to keep moving forward.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    IEE and EII seem to be the types of people who will naturally encourage or get enthusiastic towards someone if they see potential in them. I can see where SLI could need that energy from them to feel motivated to keep moving forward.
    Oh yeah I go all in or go home lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    Most of their attributes should have to do with the quadra they're in.
    Person,

I think that key attributes have to do with the processing configuration (Ip, Ij Ep and Ej), about which I wrote the below article. I treat the preferences (N, S, T and F) more like processing filters or emphasizers so quadra has less meaning for me except that it defines the limits of self-correcting mechanisms for stable control. Preferences simply colour processing, and there are only two functions within type structure: input and output.

http://www.socionics.com/articles/behavetemp.html

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Oh yeah I go all in or go home lol
    Same
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting description. Visual acuity, dexterity etc...
    How people do it? There are plenty of times when people have said that I'm drunk (I don't drink btw)... I should get consultation from an expert.

I have seen many ISTps being very good at mathematics. Is this true generally? I would imagine they would ace in some linear algebra matrix operations (pain in the ass when I studied it... you know one minuscule mistake and... ).
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 06-11-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@unsuccessfull Alphamale I have found that ENTps are not detail oriented and are so broadly focused on the objects of interest that they pay little attention to their own physical functioning so clumsiness is a possibility; ISTps can err due to a too-narrow focus or wanting the quick solution. ISTps seem to inherently understand a lot of physical phenomena that is represented in applied mathematics so they would have a feel for the subject; many ISTp may not want to study to find out this aptitude because formal school settings may not be their favorite places to be. However, I would think that NT-types may be better at understanding the more theoretical mathematics if they're so inclined.....

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you were on the right track when originally typing me as this @Rebelondeck. It's a good description and is more true to reality and doesn't force people into rigid quadra values boxes that don't really fly in the real world. This captures features of "traditional" SLE and SLI descs that I've noticed fitting me.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebelondeck came across like a very ordinary guy, but with exceptional intelligence. I think this allowed him to have great powers of observation of how each type behaved. He could identify patterns of behaviour which is very skilful but he also understood the basic motivations of each type. I think that’s because in his own way he was quite empathetic, so he could get to the heart of what each type needs and struggles with.

The best thing I’ve picked up off him..(people may already know this but I’m stating it anyway for people who don’t) is that EPs are detached/IPs are attached types. (Also EJs attached, IJs detached). A simple fact to remember and consider in one’s interactions. Some types generally need objectivity in their thought processes and some types generally need to be more subjective. Each need help with being more of the other..?

Quadras are more about stereotypes, or superficial similarities. Inter-quadra relations have their benefits..but also their limits.