Thread: Vengeful attitude relation to type

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Vengeful attitude relation to type

So an SEE friend posted on Facebook "if you tailgate me I will slow down to piss you off." In the many times that I have driven as a passenger in a car with LSE drivers I have noticed that they like to drive fast and sometimes tailgate as a way of giving a visual hint "I dive faster than you, move over" or will honk as a means of pushing the slow driver over to a slower lane. I noticed that the SEE post was directly opposed to the LSE behavior requirements to be courteous to other drivers and the LSE would not like this at all. I've know more than one who will ride right up on the ass of a driver who purposely does this honking and cursing. i just remain quiet because you can't reason with an angry person. You just have to remain calm and mention it later. I'm writing this post because I don't like the SEE post. It seems vengeful and mean even though the LSE reaction to it can just as well be too. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-21-2016 at 05:47 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see both sides but I find myself sympathizing with the SEE behavior more. It just depends on how the LSE acts. There is a polite way to signal to the driver to get over.

Funny, because i've actually seen this as well i.e. LSE tailgating and SEE slowing down.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm myself are more frustrated by people who write long-winded sentences than people who drive slowly or tailgate....

PLEASE WOMAN, LEARN TO WRITE DECENTLY FIRST! A self acclaimed EII, such as yourself, should be able to do better!

And stop being so defensive about LSEs...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tailgating is aggressive and potentially dangerous, and I find it the ruder behavior here. Tailgating is actually a moving violation in California.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gah. Tailgaiting is such a pet peeve of mine. If I'm in the right lane (aka the slow lane) and someone is tailgating me, I'm likely to slow down further because it pisses me off: just move to the left if you want to speed. I typically go ~5 miles over the speed limit. If I'm in the left lane (aka the passing lane) and I see that someone behind me is speeding up, I try to move to the right or middle lane fairly quickly to get out of the way.

I also hate when people go 5-10 miles below the speed limit without reason (ie weather); however, I also try not to tailgate either because I try to stay clear should the person slam on breaks.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

If someone tailgates me and I am doing the speed limit ( or just over) I will speed up enough to match the speed of the closest car to my right so the car tailgating me will have no other options. It is annoying to be in traffic, driving the speed limit, and having someone ride my ass like there is something I can do about it. I won't slam on brakes to slow down since that is dangerous but I might take my time getting over to let them pass. If they take the clue and back off I will speed up and change lanes to let them pass.

I am usually driving in the right lane (as I was taught) unless I have to pass on the left but often I can't due to heavy traffic .I don't know what a tailgater expects me to do in those cases. It is like they can't imagine what is happening past their own car. If I am on a one lane road and doing the speed limit it is even worse since the person should know I can't just let them pass in most cases. I will slow down to let them pass on the side of oncoming traffic if I see it is safe to let them pass me. If they don't ride my ass.

I like to drive fast too. Slow drivers can be just as frustrating to me some days. I still leave enough room to stop between cars based on my speed. I will just look for a break where I can safely pass them on the right if they are a left lane slow driver or on the left if it is a single lane road (if visual distance permits).

My ESE sister used to ride people's asses but not maliciously or out of frustration, usually. It's because she was talking too much and not paying attention. I am pretty vocal about her not tailgating when I am in the car with her even now due to her past behavior. She did this more in her teens but after a couple of accidents, she is more careful now.

If you are in the car with someone who drives fast while tailgating it would be wise to speak up or you might not get a chance to tell them gently later that this was unacceptable. Your life, and the lives of people driving around you, is more important than not hurting some aggressive driver's ego. Keep in mind you can't predict if the person in front of you is going to be like the SEE and slow down or even slam on their brakes but you can tell the person you are with to chill the hell out. If you have to, start insisting on driving if you drive. They should get the hint then.

I don't begrudge anyone's need for speed but if they are doing it out of frustration they are probably not very clearheaded. I used to race people when I was young but I have grown out of it. It was stupid and dangerous but I never felt I was putting people's lives in danger doing it because I was confident in my driving. I was not taking into account the unpredictability of other drivers so I was putting us all in danger. The LSE driving you must not take into account the unpredictable nature of other drivers or they don't care. Road rage is real and you might find yourself in trouble with some maniac, who does not like to be tailgated, shooting at you or following you home. That is what real vengeance looks like. :/ What you describe is spitefulness.

If your LSE, or anyone else, needs help leaving on time take the lead and give yourselves plenty of time to get where you are going safely. Take them to a racing track if it is just because they like to drive fast and need a release for that.

Not gonna lie, I have tailgated before when I felt rushed. I am more cautious now. Horn blowing is obnoxious and should be limited to signaling danger. There are laws against blowing your horn out of frustration in many places. Tailgating is considered reckless driving just about everywhere.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I'm myself are more frustrated by people who write long-winded sentences than people who drive slowly or tailgate....

PLEASE WOMAN, LEARN TO WRITE DECENTLY FIRST! A self acclaimed EII, such as yourself, should be able to do better!

And stop being so defensive about LSEs...
    it's not me. I have no computer and iPad is more like iPain and I'm writing on the phone I'm sorry
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    If someone tailgates me and I am doing the speed limit ( or just over) I will speed up enough to match the speed of the closest car to my right so the car tailgating me will have no other options. It is annoying to be in traffic, driving the speed limit, and having someone ride my ass like there is something I can do about it. I won't slam on brakes to slow down since that is dangerous but I might take my time getting over to let them pass. If they take the clue and back off I will speed up and change lanes to let them pass.

I am usually driving in the right lane (as I was taught) unless I have to pass on the left but often I can't due to heavy traffic .I don't know what a tailgater expects me to do in those cases. It is like they can't imagine what is happening past their own car. If I am on a one lane road and doing the speed limit it is even worse since the person should know I can't just let them pass in most cases. I will slow down to let them pass on the side of oncoming traffic if I see it is safe to let them pass me. If they don't ride my ass.

I like to drive fast too. Slow drivers can be just as frustrating to me some days. I still leave enough room to stop between cars based on my speed. I will just look for a break where I can safely pass them on the right if they are a left lane slow driver or on the left if it is a single lane road (if visual distance permits).

My ESE sister used to ride people's asses but not maliciously or out of frustration, usually. It's because she was talking too much and not paying attention. I am pretty vocal about her not tailgating when I am in the car with her even now due to her past behavior. She did this more in her teens but after a couple of accidents, she is more careful now.

If you are in the car with someone who drives fast while tailgating it would be wise to speak up or you might not get a chance to tell them gently later that this was unacceptable. Your life, and the lives of people driving around you, is more important than not hurting some aggressive driver's ego. Keep in mind you can't predict if the person in front of you is going to be like the SEE and slow down or even slam on their brakes but you can tell the person you are with to chill the hell out. If you have to, start insisting on driving if you drive. They should get the hint then.

I don't begrudge anyone's need for speed but if they are doing it out of frustration they are probably not very clearheaded. I used to race people when I was young but I have grown out of it. It was stupid and dangerous but I never felt I was putting people's lives in danger doing it because I was confident in my driving. I was not taking into account the unpredictability of other drivers so I was putting us all in danger. The LSE driving you must not take into account the unpredictable nature of other drivers or they don't care. Road rage is real and you might find yourself in trouble with some maniac, who does not like to be tailgated, shooting at you or following you home. That is what real vengeance looks like. :/ What you describe is spitefulness.

If your LSE, or anyone else, needs help leaving on time take the lead and give yourselves plenty of time to get where you are going safely. Take them to a racing track if it is just because they like to drive fast and need a release for that.

Not gonna lie, I have tailgated before when I felt rushed. I am more cautious now. Horn blowing is obnoxious and should be limited to signaling danger. There are laws against blowing your horn out of frustration in many places. Tailgating is considered reckless driving just about everywhere.
    Wow, you will upset an LSE by matching the speed to the vehicle next to you and thereby blocking the road and yes sometimes LSE get into a rush because they never have time.

I've had an LSE in a white truck tailgate me, honking and cursing at a stop sign. I couldn't go because of odd traffic that was blocking the road ahead. Once the LSE u-turned around me and got a glimps of me shaking my head in disapproval he smiled and thus I saw that he didn't mean any harm by it. I too smiled back and he went on his way.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

But slowing down is making an already difficult situation so much worse. Why would you prompt such a reaction?
    -

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    But slowing down is making an already difficult situation so much worse. Why would you prompt such a reaction?
    Nah I agree with the others so far. I'm not going to let you be king of the road just because you're rude. AND if every time someone tailgates, the person in front slows down, then eventually people will learn not to tailgate!

I will either feel pressured and speed up so that at the speed the person behind me wants to go, or, if I can't speed up and the person behind is just being rude because I can't speed up, I will slow down to punish them.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    Tailgating is aggressive and potentially dangerous, and I find it the ruder behavior here. Tailgating is actually a moving violation in California.
    Fe

So an SEE friend posted on Facebook "if you tailgate me I will slow down to piss you off." In the many times that I have driven as a passenger in a car with LSE drivers I have noticed that they like to drive fast and sometimes tailgate as a way of giving a visual hint "I dive faster than you, move over" or will honk as a means of pushing the slow driver over to a slower lane. I noticed that the SEE post was directly opposed to the LSE behavior requirements to be courteous to other drivers and the LSE would not like this at all. I've know more than one who will ride right up on the ass of a driver who purposely does this honking and cursing. i just remain quiet because you can't reason with an angry person. You just have to remain calm and mention it later. I'm writing this post because I don't like the SEE post.
    Fi

Also, these types convey emotions in terms of how they were affected by something (such as "I did not like that"), rather than an extroverted ethics Fe approach that would describe the object itself without clear reference to the subject involved (such as "That sucked"). Much of their decisions are based on how they themselves, or others in relation to them personally, feel in contrast to considering how "the big picture" is affected (such as groups of people.)

@Sol

READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Subteigh what are your thoughts on this?
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Subteigh what are your thoughts on this?
    The attitude of the alleged SEE is idiotic and a danger to life and limb, if practiced.

The attitude of the alleged LSEs is idiotic and also a danger to life and limb. Tailgating and the use of horns in such instances are also illegal according to UK law, for reasons that I think are perfectly justified.

I would certainly not engage in such practices myself, even if I could drive. Not only do I consider it dangerous and disharmonious, I would fear combat in such duels. That is actually part of the reason I do not drive.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

If someone is rude to me like that i would definitely behave/think like the SEE. if youre rude to me youre going to get it back in yur face
    When im driving and someones like "slow down theres someone walking in the middle of the street" im like so? its not my fault if i hit them, its not against the law since theyre not walking on a crossing. They'll have to pay for the damages on the car not me, and i wont owe them anything cause i didnt broke the law. ^^
    ps ive never hit someone lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msnobody View Post
    If someone is rude to me like that i would definitely behave/think like the SEE. if youre rude to me youre going to get it back in yur face
    When im driving and someones like "slow down theres someone walking in the middle of the street" im like so? its not my fault if i hit them, its not against the law since theyre not walking on a crossing. They'll have to pay for the damages on the car not me, and i wont owe them anything cause i didnt broke the law. ^^
    ps ive never hit someone lol
    Interesting thank you for sharing
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Interesting thank you for sharing
    Idk what type i am though lol so its not that helpful

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msnobody View Post
    Idk what type i am though lol so its not that helpful
    What's more important is that you be yourself and express your honest opinion, which you have. You'll see your values and things will fall into place
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Park @darya @Suz

Anyone else. I'm very interested in your thoughts on this
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-21-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my state both behaviors you describe, @Maritsa, are illegal, which is fine w me as I hate them both.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Fi

Also, these types convey emotions in terms of how they were affected by something (such as "I did not like that"), rather than an extroverted ethics Fe approach that would describe the object itself without clear reference to the subject involved (such as "That sucked"). Much of their decisions are based on how they themselves, or others in relation to them personally, feel in contrast to considering how "the big picture" is affected (such as groups of people.)

@Sol

READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most people reading your post who are familiar with you will conclude that you only put "I don't like the SEE post." so that you could later "prove" you are a -type.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Most people reading your post who are familiar with you will conclude that you only put "I don't like the SEE post." so that you could later "prove" you are a -type.
    I don't want to have a type discussion please. I really want people's opinion on this.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I already know Kim's @Penny answer. It's "no"

No I won't marry you
    No I don't like it
    No no no

-

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Wow, you will upset an LSE by matching the speed to the vehicle next to you and thereby blocking the road and yes sometimes LSE get into a rush because they never have time.
    If they are doing that to me then why should I care that they are upset that they can't pass for a few moments. I think it is rude to ride someone's tail like that and especially rude when they honk while doing it. Like I said I drive in the right lane except to pass so if someone is doing that to me they are obviously ignoring the traffic and outer conditions that might have me driving the way I am. It just seems to me that any person doing it lacks awareness and/or consideration of the situation.

If I am spacing out a bit, and someone comes up on me fast, I will realize it is my fault for spacing and I will move over the first chance I get. Most people do not tailgate or blow their horn when this happens but I sense I am annoying them so I move. I can see it from their side of things since I have the option to get over. I am aware and considerate of other people on the road for the most part. I am especially careful with bikers because I have been on the back of a bike many times and people have come very close to hitting us for various reasons.

I've had an LSE in a white truck tailgate me, honking and cursing at a stop sign. I couldn't go because of odd traffic that was blocking the road ahead. Once the LSE u-turned around me and got a glimps of me shaking my head in disapproval he smiled and thus I saw that he didn't mean any harm by it. I too smiled back and he went on his way.
    Did you explain to him later why this was not your fault and why he should be more considerate though?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I am trying to remember, but I feel like I HAVE done a bit of what Aylen does, slowing down. I remember tapping my brake lights to hold people back, becaseu I had seen my Dad(SLI) do it. However, viewing my own behavior I was not proud of it, and maybe becoming a Mom changed me. I just want to drive safe. So most of the time, almost all the time, if it is safe to do so, I signal, then brake, then I actually pull over - or drive slowly on the shoulder - so the speeder can pass. Usually I do this before they tailgate, I just sense they are impatient. If they are reckless and dangerous in their speeding I always say a prayer for them and all other drivers in their path. Sometimes if I am very annoyed, I say, Lord, please let them learn, and scare them if they need it, but don't let them get hurt.

Highway driving - if a speeder tailgates and I cannot change to a slower lane (like a car is BESIDE me), I will signal that I am going to change lanes even though obviously I can't yet. (Then I change lanes as soon as safely possible). If they don't back off, maybe i will slow down to get behind the car in the slow lane sooner, and with my signal on, its easy to see why I am slowing. At any rate, I act if I can, and if I cannot act at all - the road is crowded, i.e., I do an exaggerated "shrug" with my hands up and that works pretty much every time to make them back off till I can move over. Which tells me they are so fixed on going fast they did not even see that I could not move over.

So basically I yield to rude drivers, and feel sorry for their choice to drive aggressively and put their lives in danger.

My LSE brother used to drive too close for comfort. I have never seen him be an angry driver though. l do not remember him ever yelling at drivers like my ESE-ex sometimes did (which could have been his anger issues and not his type). Instead LSE brother would focus on driving efficiently and FAST. Yes, once we were driving to Pennsylvania to visit colleges that we had both been to for a year, sort of near each other but Pennsylvania is a huge state, covered with woods, its a long drive on the highways. And we were on college-student budgets. He was driving a tiny cheap old car, and we rode there and back tailgating one tractor-trailer trucks after another, in order get in the wind stream pocket behind them and save on gas. That did not feel entirely safe. However, I felt a certain safety with him. Like, he was in no way a distracted driver. I remember on the way home we were both broke, but on his suggestion we pooled our bits of change and we stopped at a rest area - the one that was about 90 min. from home, last leg of the trip, so, just when we'd be tired - and he knew we had just enough money for a small cup of coffee to split.

This same brother that year used to drive me to my local community college (that I went to that next year), on his way to his college. For efficiently, he would shower in the morning and not dry his longish thick hair. Nope, after folding his 6'+ frame in the tiny car he get on the highway and roll down the window and drive with his tall head stuck out the window to dry his hair...
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A) People shouldn't need "hints" to know when to change to the right lane.

B) When someone tailgates me, I view it as aggressive, unnecessary, and reckless. i know how to drive, and it's usually because they're impatient and wanting me to go beyond 5 miles over the speed limit while they wait for the left lane to clear.

C) dramatically slowing down when someone tailgates is passive aggressive and only escalates the situation, which reflects even more so on you than the tailgater. I've seen this make tailgate situations worse and view it as "egging on" the tailgater, which I find even more reckless. It's like you're stooping to an even lower level of immaturity.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    A) People shouldn't need "hints" to know when to change to the right lane.

B) When someone tailgates me, I view it as aggressive, unnecessary, and reckless. i know how to drive, and it's usually because they're impatient and wanting me to go beyond 5 miles over the speed limit while they wait for the left lane to clear.

C) dramatically slowing down when someone tailgates is passive aggressive and only escalates the situation, which reflects even more so on you than the tailgater. I've seen this make tailgate situations worse and view it as "egging on" the tailgater, which I find even more reckless. It's like you're stooping to an even lower level of immaturity.
    Who woulda thunk that you could actually be proactive when driving?!?! Like driving the speed of traffic and always keeping a lane open to whatever is to the side of you. And here is a pro tip: Semi drivers know when there is going to be a cop coming up so if you see a semi truck speeding 5 + over the speed limit chances are good you don't have to worry... cuz you know at that moment some asshole is going to cut you off nearly running you off the road.
    I struggle with motivation, apathy and sticking to goals.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't want to have a type discussion please. I really want people's opinion on this.
    I suggest if you are especially keen on not wanting a type discussion, that you don't bring up other people's types.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

How did you type the alleged LSE as LSE?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How did you type the alleged LSE as LSE?
    As he passed me he turned his head a full 45 degrees to look at me and look into my eyes directly. When he saw me his mood changed to the flirting gentlemen and he smiled this smile like he adored me Really he was observing me and my reaction. I smil ed back at the observation.
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

As he passed me he turned his head a full 45 degrees to look at me and look into my eyes directly. When he saw me his mood changed to the flirting gentlemen and he smiled this smile like he adored me Really he was observing me and my reaction. I smil ed back at the observation.
    I see, but how did you type the alleged LSE as LSE?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I see, but how did you type the alleged LSE as LSE?
    Behavior patterns and their look, features, the intensity of their reaction. I live in LA and observe a lot of people while driving. SEI tend to me more internal absorbing and zoned out kind of. You can pick up on general tendencies after so long.
    -

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm tailgated, I do the same: slow down. In part it is to piss the other driver off in a "fuck you" kind of way, but there's a more pragmatic purpose behind that: get him/her to move over. I don't want this fuckhead on my tail, especially if I'm on the road where I'm about to turn into my neighborhood because, let's face it, I don't want to risk getting rear-ended.

I'm usually driving 5+ over the speed limit, anyway. So if I'm being tailgated, it's not because I'm an especially slow driver. Well, when I'm not half asleep at 5:30am heading out to work. As a rule, though, I despise slow drivers for the reason that they create accidents, but tailgating never made sense to me and seems idiotic at best. You might be a very confident driver, but why take the risk that someone suddenly halts on their brakes and you get into a rear end collision?

And fwiw, my LSE father would always tailgate slow-pokes. He's a very confident driver, but I still felt he was always way too aggressive driving. Ironically, he taught me everything I know about driving and taught me to always keep my distance in a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of way (and his advice has saved my ass on a number of occasions). There's never a reason, I feel, not to keep a good distance, unless stuck in a traffic jam and y'all are crawling.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    If I'm tailgated, I do the same: slow down. In part it is to piss the other driver off in a "fuck you" kind of way, but there's a more pragmatic purpose behind that: get him/her to move over. I don't want this fuckhead on my tail, especially if I'm on the road where I'm about to turn into my neighborhood because, let's face it, I don't want to risk getting rear-ended.

I'm usually driving 5+ over the speed limit, anyway. So if I'm being tailgated, it's not because I'm an especially slow driver. Well, when I'm not half asleep at 5:30am heading out to work. As a rule, though, I despise slow drivers for the reason that they create accidents, but tailgating never made sense to me and seems idiotic at best. You might be a very confident driver, but why take the risk that someone suddenly halts on their brakes and you get into a rear end collision?

And fwiw, my LSE father would always tailgate slow-pokes. He's a very confident driver, but I still felt he was always way too aggressive driving. There's never a reason, I feel, not to keep a good distance, unless stuck in a traffic jam and y'all are crawling.
    Thank you. Love your posts
    -

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone tailgates me I just try to move over so they can get around me. I only get annoyed if they're being really over the top stupid and dangerous and even then I just try to stay out of their way. Then I hope that they get stopped / don't hurt anyone.

The vast majority of my interactions with other drivers are either communicative or defensive (like avoiding getting into a crash). If I want to go faster and someone is blocking me I inch closer enough so they get the idea but far enough away to stay as polite as I can about it. Usually that works fine, but if it doesn't and they stay where they are I just deal with it by either being patient or passing on the other side if I get a chance / if it's safe. No use getting needlessly upset about something I can't control.

Interestingly, I've found myself using my horn in the last couple of years. For me, the horn is a communication device, and almost always a "Hey! Watch out, I'm right here! Don't hit me!" signal. More people have been moving to my city and it feels, from my perspective, like the quality of driving is deteriorating. I can hardly drive across town anymore without someone nearly hitting me... Thankfully I haven't ever been in an accident (while I'm the driver, anyway). But I am finding I have to stay quite alert.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    LII-H
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When people tailgate me, I tap my brakes (just enough to make the lights go on) a few times, and look for a place to pull right to let them pass. If they don't take the brake light hint, and I can't pull right at the moment, I leave more space in front of me to compensate for their stopping distance as well as my own, until I can get out of their way. I don't let them pass in order to be accommodating though, I do it because being near someone who drives that way is less safe.
    Valued | Devalued
    < | < | Conscious
    < | < | Unconscious

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm usually on the overcautious side of driving. I don't turn unless I feel safe to do so, I avoid left turns onto heavy traffic, I avoid unfamiliar roads when I can, I slow down if the weather's making me nervous, I put plenty of space between me and the vehicle in front of me (I prefer to see two cars ahead of me so I have more time to react if speed is changing), etc. This is mostly because I'm afraid to damage my only form of transportation, trying to avoid what stresses I can avoid, as well as due to my tendency to unsafely space out when driving.

When someone would ride up on my butt, I'd first check my speed. If I'm going too slow (spaced out and relaxing foot off pedal) I'll get to the appropriate speed range. If I'm going at an appropriate speed, then I may look for a straight way in the road in which I slow down and hug the right side....signaling that they can pass me. I used to pull over to let these people pass me, but that stopped after I wiped out on my scooter for doing just that. And, most tailgaters don't give enough room to find a spot to turn into, slow down for it, and make the turn. They actually do themselves a disservice by tailgating so closely.

Now, the only time I turn off the road to let them pass is if there's a line of cars behind me.
    Mostly I just make sure that I'm going at about the posted (or weather adapted) speed limit, give or take 5 mph. If they don't like it, too bad. I'm not going to live my life to appease strangers.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if someone is driving slow I will tailgate them. I hate it when people drive slow.

if I'm tailgating someone and they brake check me I will get even closer. I hate it when people brake check me.

if someone is tailgating me I will brake check them. I hate it when people tailgate me.

basically, I'm an asshole.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's frustrating when someone tailgates me whether I'm going at the speed limit or when I'm going 10-20 km over the speed limit, which happens way too often. I usually deal with it in two ways depending on the speed I'm going at.

1. If I'm driving 10-20 km above the speed limit, I change lanes and I continue on the same speed as if nothing happened.

2. If I'm driving at the speed limit, I change lanes and I go as fast as them to spite them.

Basically anything that doesn't involve staying in the same lane as them.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My thoughts? Well my thought is:

Most people are selfish assholes without your Fi empathy Maritsa. Just the cold harsh fact in life. They are child raping bully sadists and deserve to be killed via Dexter.

Drivers don't let you over, are impatient about mistakes/elderly.... also its weird how I ppl see hurry to their destination with no meaning- thinking that this will make them happy no this, no this no this no this no this. and it never does. The only thing that would make them happy is genuine human connection with another person but... that's a quality not valued in the Illuminati world.

but I think its a bit extreme to kill them/hold a grudge so what can you do but forgive them? and cherish the very few ppl who are genuinely considerate and nice. <3