Thread: Quiz: Do You (USA people) Live in a Bubble?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quiz: Do You (USA people) Live in a Bubble?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...bble-a-quiz-2/

Non-USA people, feel free as well, of course ...though you may not have an interest, and obviously the results will be skewed
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got 22.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess I live in a bubble if I couldn't even answer the first question.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
    0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

33: "A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents."

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-bg

You got 21 points.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Something is off with the scoring or something. The first time seemed too low since I checked hitchhiked and took a bus more than 50 miles. I order take-out from Chili's several times a year, lived in a poor neighborhood with exes and on the outskirts of them with my mom (before stepdad), had evangelical friends and other stuff that should have raised my score but got 32. The second time I got 11. I have lived near or in large cities and coastal towns on the east coast for most of my life so a lot of the stuff is geared toward different regions. I know people who drive pickup trucks, drink beer and fish from NYC. My youngest sister was a cheerleader.

I am first generation immigrant since I moved here very young. Technically not American but in most ways I am since I have lived here for so long. The test creator most definitely lives in a bubble. I think I should have scored higher. I lived in a shack in the middle of nowhere once until my mom found me. I will retake it after I see Mockingjay 2 and Age of Ultron. I feel cheated.

Scoring

You got 32 points.

The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.
    See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions.
    48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.
    42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.
    0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
    0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I felt embarrassed by my score when I took it earlier, even though I'm probably not American. I scored 14.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

\

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I felt embarrassed by my score when I took it earlier, even though I'm probably not American. I scored 14.
    I am sure I would be lost if quizzed on your country. I got caught up in reading the comments which led me to the original test and those comments were even better. People were very indignant for various reasons. I just wanted a higher score. I didn't want to be lumped in with cultural snobs of any kind.

Edit: I think I am finding most things irritating today. lol
    Last edited by Aylen; 03-26-2016 at 07:14 PM.

YWIMW

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

44. I think being in military effected that. It's kind of ironic though; the military has made me a little racist because I've had to deal with obnoxiously stupid people to the point that I wish I could just kill them all. Course maybe that's not racism, but hating people that act like animals. Or maybe that's the reason for my racism. I don't know, but it's genuinely increased my hate whereas some believe that becoming more immersed in cultured is supposed to reduce it. Go figure then...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree w you, @Aylen, that there's probably something off w the test. Some of the questions seem weird to me (like the one w Chili's etc -- I never eat at any of those places anymore, but I don't think that's a great indicator I'm in a bubble).

Full disclosure: I do kind of come from the background it described, but my dad is a first-generation immigrant, and I (like to?) think I'm not so out-of-touch due to experiences, both deliberately entered into and not, I've had. Who knows, though; maybe I do live in a bubble. Something to ponder....

I think this is a somewhat interesting quiz, but it doesn't tease out the whole story. I think most people live in a bubble of one kind or another.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This struck me more as market research hidden as a quiz.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

Yep
    Last edited by squark; 03-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

40, so perfectly average I guess.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@sapphire, @Aylen

btw, unless you're middle class you can't afford to eat at any of those places, or go to the movies. Certainly can't go to the movies multiple times a year. So, I think choosing more of those options is part of why you're scoring lower.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    @sapphire, @Aylen

btw, unless you're middle class you can't afford to eat at any of those places, or go to the movies. Certainly can't go to the movies multiple times a year. So, I think choosing more of those options is part of why you're scoring lower.
    I think so too. I actually took it again and got 38. I only changed one thing but I am not sure if it qualifies. When I was 18 I worked for IBM putting together some parts for something I don't even remember. I was only there three months though. It was sort of a factory, I think, but it didn't change my score much. I have been given avon products before by a friend who tried selling them and ended up with a ton of overstock before giving it away. I didn't buy them so couldn't check that. She blew a couple thousand buying their products to sell but being an IEI and very introverted (with agoraphobia) she could never get out there to sell them. She gave me so much that I kept most in the garage. I found it a couple years ago and tossed it because it was expired. Otherwise I would have donated it.

My mom was working class here (from an upper middle class family equivalent in her birth country) until she met an upper middle class man and married. I think taking on a family might have lowered him to middle class. I never asked how much he made but he worked for the defense dept and had high level clearance. He paid cash for everything including house and cars. Never carried a mortgage or credit card debt and had made some really good investments. As soon as I was old enough he made me get a job, pay my own taxes and all that stuff. He taught me a lot. I am embarrassed to admit I knew none of the military symbols.

It puts me in upper-class range but I still live in a mixed neighborhood of middle and working class. I am sure some make upper class incomes but they don't live like it. I have only talked to a couple neighbors in all the years I lived here and they are both elderly and reached out to me. The people next door had their vehicles repossessed a couple years ago after buying the lot next to mine and building a new house. They lived in a smaller house three lots down before that. I guess they over extended themselves but they are ok now. The only gossip is a sweet old man so it is never sounds mean or malicious.

The thing about this test is it asks limited questions. I have seen some of the shows like Dr Phil and Wendy Williams but never could get through a full episode but my sister could. That would have raised my score. I am not sure what the objective is really. It seems if it was really testing our bubbles it would have asked broader questions.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I think so too. I actually took it again and got 38. I only changed one thing but I am not sure if it qualifies. When I was 18 I worked for IBM putting together some parts for something I don't even remember. I was only there three months though. It was sort of a factory, I think, but it didn't change my score much. I have been given avon products before by a friend who tried selling them and ended up with a ton of overstock before giving it away. I didn't buy them so couldn't check that. She blew a couple thousand buying their products to sell but being an IEI and very introverted (with agoraphobia) she could never get out there to sell them. She gave me so much that I kept most in the garage. I found it a couple years ago and tossed it because it was expired. Otherwise I would have donated it.

My mom was working class here (from an upper middle class family equivalent in her birth country) until she met an upper middle class man and married. I think taking on a family might have lowered him to middle class. I never asked how much he made but he worked for the defense dept and had high level clearance. He paid cash for everything including house and cars. Never carried a mortgage or credit card debt and had made some really good investments. As soon as I was old enough he made me get a job, pay my own taxes and all that stuff. He taught me a lot. I am embarrassed to admit I knew none of the military symbols.

It puts me in upper-class range but I still live in a mixed neighborhood of middle and working class. I am sure some make upper class incomes but they don't live like it. I have only talked to a couple neighbors in all the years I lived here and they are both elderly and reached out to me. The people next door had their vehicles repossessed a couple years ago after buying the lot next to mine and building a new house. They lived in a smaller house three lots down before that. I guess they over extended themselves but they are ok now. The only gossip is a sweet old man so it is never sounds mean or malicious.

The thing about this test is it asks limited questions. I have seen some of the shows like Dr Phil and Wendy Williams but never could get through a full episode but my sister could. That would have raised my score. I am not sure what the objective is really. It seems if it was really testing our bubbles it would have asked broader questions.

I've never seen Wendy Williams or Dr Phil. I didn't check the boxes for any show except Once Upon a Time, and for one or two movies. Mockingjay was one, I can't remember if there was another, so I'm not sure how much difference those make. I also didn't know any of the military stuff.

I think it's more testing what kind of background you have, as in what was your experience growing up. For example, on the fishing question - there were times when I was a kid if we didn't fish, we didn't eat, and that's true for quite a lot of poor people, even in cities, but most people have no idea of that. The pickup question - if you're a carpenter, lawn care person, plumber, house painter, bricklayer etc etc you are going to have a pickup or work van - it's part of the tools of your job. A necessity. Most of the questions at the beginning were wealth, privilege and experience questions, and the wealthier you were the less likely you'd have experienced them. As an example, how many people would take a greyhound bus if they could afford a plane ticket (or owned a car they could drive?) I don't think the TV, movie or other pop culture stuff were weighted as heavily as those first questions, or it didn't seem so since I left most of those boxes blank and still scored pretty high but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by squark; 03-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I've never seen Wendy Williams or Dr Phil. I didn't check the boxes for any show except Once Upon a Time, and for one or two movies. Mockingjay was one, I can't remember if there was another, so I'm not sure how much difference those make. I also didn't know any of the military stuff.

I think it's more testing what kind of background you have, as in what was your experience growing up. For example, on the fishing question - there were times when I was a kid if we didn't fish, we didn't eat, and that's true for quite a lot of poor people, even in cities, but most people have no idea of that. The pickup question - if you're a carpenter, lawn care person, plumber, house painter, bricklayer etc etc you are going to have a pickup or work van - it's part of the tools of your job. A necessity. Most of the questions at the beginning were wealth, privilege and experience questions, and the wealthier you were the less likely you'd have experienced them. As an example, how many people would take a greyhound bus if they could afford a plane ticket (or owned a car they could drive?) I don't think the TV, movie or other pop culture stuff were weighted as heavily as those first questions, or it didn't seem so since I left most of those boxes blank and still scored pretty high but I could be wrong.
    I was on a Greyhound for 25-26 hours because my parents were teaching me a lesson. I ended up in a situation and needed to get home. Since I had been irresponsible they made me take a bus when they could have flown me home. I learned a lesson. I never took a greyhound again. I was like a deer in the headlights the whole time. I was so scared and confused that I latched onto a couple of guys, who were older than me, on their way to basic training. They could tell I was clueless and didn't take advantage of it. They watched out for me and made sure I got on the right buses, at transfers, and didn't miss them when I wasn't paying attention. I felt so grateful to them. I remember when I first got on the bus I was choking back tears and some guy was trying to talk to me. I think they noticed and felt bad for me so they stepped in and got rid of him for me. The younger of the two told the guy talking to me that he was in his seat.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a 30, but honestly I feel like my class level is a step down from my parents

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of their results were actually poor enough to match my upbringing.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I scored 32
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

55...... 'Merica!

48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22. I feel bad that I'm so privileged. All the things I've been through--it seems that compared to the rest of the world, my demons have really meant nothing. Am I really strong, or just spoiled?
    Dream again
    for I know the plans I have for you
    It's the road less traveled

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Can't even get past the first question.... I don't leave the house so how am I suppose to fucking know about my neighbors, let alone 50 of them!?