Thread: (Gamma) Republic of Venice

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default (Gamma) Republic of Venice

Here is the source of my blogpost: http://socionicsdatabase.blogspot.co...of-venice.html

The Most Serene Republic of Venice was an Italian state that created foundational ideas of innovative advancement that prompted where current Venice is presently. It existed for around one thousand one hundred years, from the late seventh century until the late eighteenth century It was an essential monetary and exchanging power which was ruled by a pioneer called a Doge. The city was established by individuals from the more prominent Veneto area as an asylum from the Barbarian attacks, when the Roman Empire fell. Amid the Middle Ages, Venice gradually developed to be a vital business city. Around the year 1000 AD the Republic of Venice began to make a realm in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It kept going until 1797, when it was added by Napoleon's France, it then changed hands a couple times, turning into a piece of Austria two unique times, before turning out to be a piece of Italy amid the Italian unification. Venice profoundly affected the Venetian, Istria and Dalmatian coasts for one thousand years. Venice began to lose populace after its success by Napoleon, however with the unification of Italy the city came back to be an essential city.

The Republic of Venice is a Gamma culture, they had a weak state and the Constitution of Venice created a complex system of government in which the people in charge of the city-state were limited. Essentially, the Republic of Venice was a mixed government model that had elements of a oligarchy, monarchy, and aristocracy; but was a democratic city-state in that it was economically driven by the majority, which was the wealthy upper-class. The purpose of this government in the Republic of Venice had a free market economy and it gave individual liberty to those who wanted to get wealthy have a chance to become wealthy. This was a purely trading civilization that invented the business developments of insurance and patent protection that were tecniques of trade that bolstered companies and methods of finance. It is very clear that the Republic of Venice emphasized individuality and economic freedom that gave the citizens an opportunity to get out of debt and become rich.

By the early fourteenth century, the Republic of Venice implemented practical and financial innovations that included the following. The appearance of limited liability joint stock companies, secondary markets for a wide variety of debt, equity and mortgage instruments, bankruptcy laws that distinguished illiquidity from insolvency, business education, deposit banking and a reliable medium of exchange that created the foundational idea of P+T pragmatic enrichment and a sense of individual destiny. Additionally, this was motivated by great ambition towards amassing wealth and power, along with building diplomatic relationships between nations through trade; which was a R+F approach to diplomacy by selecting specific individuals to trade with that would lead to generating the largest profit.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not agree. Venice in itself is not Gamma. However, I see your description as a metaphor for what a state run by Gammas from 1000-1800 would look like.

It seems that one main point is that Venice is a democracy, which is a Gamma trait. Another point is that Venice had a free market. That is VERY much false. The Venitians often went to war over trade with their competing neighbors. The goal was to gain control of access to the east, and make it so nobody else had access so you could gouge people with your monopoly. That was the plan. It didn't work. The Portugese had discovered a route around the Mediterranean and thus cut Venice out of the market.

I do believe that you are correct in describing Gamma, as gamma is described on this site. I am not sure of whether the description of gamma is true, but that is a matter to sort out. I did not know Venice had more modern banking. I am not going to look that up. I am skeptical, as certain banking practices would make the Pope mad. I do know they had a thriving brothel business, however. I am not sure whether this is unique to Venice or if it is shared with all the Italian Republics.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mercantilism-fueled war (i.e. imperialism) has been a constant trench of modernity. It is a Gamma phenomenon.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Mercantilism-fueled war (i.e. imperialism) has been a constant trench of modernity. It is a Gamma phenomenon.
    That is a questionable statement.

Edit: I shall clarify why the statement is questionable. The article says Gamma likes free trade. You say Gamma likes mercantilism. As such there exists a contradiction. I don't have the answer to that contradiction, but I do have an answer as to whether I prefer free trade or protectionism.

Protectionism is best used as a temporary measure to artificially favor an industry. It can be used to break up monopolies and build up industry at home. The most well known use of protectionism is through a tariff. Tariffs are taxes on goods brought in from other nations.

An example of protectionism is in the 1800s. The French and British kept impressing US shipping, so Thomas Jefferson passed the Embargo Act of 1807. At this time, a lot of American revenue was from trade. As such, this caused a shift from import and export goods to home made industry. This act essentially kickstarted the US industry. Now my interpretation is probably exaggerated, but this is protectionism, as seen by myself.

Free trade, on the other hand, is what caused a big shipping industry to flourish, although part of that was because to trade with the colonies, you needed an English boat. Honestly, free trade is the normal. Protectionism is handy for building industry to levels needed to compete, but it isn't good for the economy to have useless industry. As such, free trade is an attempt to make things fair. As such, under free trade, prices are cheaper because of competition. Honestly, you can look in a supermarket and see all the goods shipped from different places. In this environment, whatever makes a profit wins, even if it isn't the most profitable answer. As such, newer companies are more vulnerable, as they need to make it to a certain size to become profitable, based on profit and demand. In this environment, there are many companies vying for power, and thus it is, for our purpose, random what people pick. There are rules for that, I just don't know them. Probability that the newer brand gets picked is low, because they get less market share.
    Last edited by Alomoes; 04-30-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: why I said the statement was questionable.