200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Verbal Intelligence Test (#2)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sir Francis Galton, the cousin of Charles Darwin, first popularized the notion of measurable intelligence in the late 1800s. Charles Spearman later discovered that all mental abilities tend to correlate together when statistically analyzed. He called this G. Modern researchers tend to agree that there are two kinds of intelligence, crystallized intelligence (learned knowledge) and fluid intelligence (abstract processing ability). Verbal tests tend to measure crystallized intelligence more. While fluid intelligence peaks between the ages of 18-21, dropping after that, crystallized intelligence can increase as you get older and does not degrade (usually) until fairly late in life. According to a number of studies, the correlation between vocabulary and general iq is around .8 (a very high correlation).

Your overall percentile is 61% which means you scored higher than 61% of the people who have taken this test. The internet population tends to be more intelligent so your percentile might be higher if the test taking sample was perfectly random. Keep in mind, taking this test more than once will render your percentile score inaccurate because the percentile scoring assumes these questions were fresh to the test taker.

The point of this test is to challenge you and show you how you compare to other test takers on a set of novel questions. Consequently, the answers need to be kept secret to protect the integrity of the test.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

68%.

weird. I recognized like, 5 words lmao.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Your overall percentile is 61% which means you scored higher than 61% of the people who have taken this test. The internet population tends to be more intelligent so your percentile might be higher if the test taking sample was perfectly random. Keep in mind, taking this test more than once will render your percentile score inaccurate because the percentile scoring assumes these questions were fresh to the test taker.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't take it but browsed it. This isn't verbal intelligence. I've taken verbal intelligence tests before and it has nothing to do with this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    I didn't take it but browsed it. This isn't verbal intelligence. I've taken verbal intelligence tests before and it has nothing to do with this.
    A number of tests on that site are questionable. Questions like, "I am my experiments", or "I enjoy being wrong", on the MBTI section are either too open to interpretation or seem absurd. Just out of curiosity, which type would enjoy being wrong? Is this meant as a validity item?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68%

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    This isn't verbal intelligence. I've taken verbal intelligence tests before and it has nothing to do with this.
    I agree.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89% but i didn't know a lot of those words - i was best-guessing a lot

i tend to have always favored a layman style of communication as i'm trying not to be confusing - so i think i may pass over words that most people don't know because not like i'm going to use them in common speech.

but since i need an intellectual bump up, maybe it's time for a change.

honestly, if TV shows like upped the vocab level, the whole nation's vocab would probably go up. we use words when we *need* to.

eta: maybe i took it before at a different time on the forum?
    Last edited by marooned; 03-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, this isn't verbal intelligence. Honestly, i don't even think it's a well formulated test for estimation of vocabulary.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, it's a test of if we know those words - except it isn't because it's multiple choice. lol.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I use a dictionary "word of the day" app and still mostly guessed on everything I didn't know. I also have the urban dictionary "word of the day" but it has never worked right.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suede, short answer... You can't test verbal intelligence via text. It's verbal, literally.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

89%. I thought I was going to get closer to 30% while taking it.

"Congratulations, you obtained a very high score and you love indie rock." Oh sweet, I love indie rock now.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

err. call this a verbal knowledge test.
    68% a lot of guessing and etymologies i had never heard before.

68%. I guessed everything (ok maybe except for 2?).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your overall percentile is 27% which means you scored higher than 27% of the people who have taken this test.
    I dislike verbal crystallized intelligence tests. I much prefer fluid, mathematical, or visuospatial tests of any kind...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one that is much more fun and interesting that I enjoy:

http://www.wordsmart.com/wsc_d/index.html
    Last edited by jason_m; 03-15-2016 at 10:06 AM.