it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Subversion in the West

Subversion is a serious problem in Western societies. What methods can we use to defeat subversion while still guaranteeing legitimate freedom of expression and speech?

Discuss.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subversion refers to an attempt to transform the established social order and its structures of power, authority, and hierarchy. - Definition.

Your opening post is an incomplete statement.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empower people to build the type of society they themselves want to live in, locally. Teach people how to create intentional communities. That way people who believe the world should be different will be able to live in the kind of world they want, even if everybody in the society doesn't agree. Make political units smaller, not bigger, so there will be more variety and power will be more local. I imagine there would actually be lots of different subversive forces going on at the same time, and in many different directions. But there are many possible types of governments people could want to live with. The whole entire world doesn't need to be unified under one single government that is the same everywhere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't sure what I thought of this at first, but then I started reading Wikipedia's definition of 'subversion,' and it turned out to be a deep topic. My first instinct was to jokingly say, 'Yay! I want more subversion!' because I don't like a lot of things about society nowadays.

But it's not that simple. Some of the things that I hate about society are actually the result of the subversion going on, and some of the things that I would have loved about society are gone, because of the subversion of values. I could use the word 'corruption' to mean something similar, except it's not merely a passive process happening by accident, but rather a deliberate process that various people are doing on purpose.

Like the media. People's values are being changed by what they see on television. 'Moral depravity' on television.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subversion is practically synonymous with having an opinion. Is there a particular focus you wanted to discuss then?

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strangeling View Post
    Subversion is practically synonymous with having an opinion.
    No it isn't.

It is not an issue of 'some people want to disagree with me'. Subversion is politics minus the discourse.

Subversive movements generally have a few, interlocking aims:
    The replacement of a country's societal structure with a new structure, thought up by them, without discussion,
    Weakening or if possible, total annihilation of a country's moral and social fibre
    Total degradation of public morale and trust in important national institutions like the legal system and state security

There is plenty of subversion in the democratic world. The current US social justice movement is highly subversive and extremely dangerous. Britain has a huge problem with internal subversion vis a vis the European Union. Not to mention the ever present corporate subversion in the political process of all western democracies. There are plenty of other examples.

During the cold war western intelligence agencies kept internal subversion checked. With the threat of the Soviet Union gone, these measures were all but disbanded. And yet subversion remains. The question is what should be done about it.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is subverting us, and why? You could say a Taiwanese nationalist is subverting China if they do not want to negotiate. I think some forms of subversion are welcome.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalize View Post
    No it isn't.

It is not an issue of 'some people want to disagree with me'. Subversion is politics minus the discourse.

Subversive movements generally have a few, interlocking aims:
    The replacement of a country's societal structure with a new structure, thought up by them, without discussion,
    Weakening or if possible, total annihilation of a country's moral and social fibre
    Total degradation of public morale and trust in important national institutions like the legal system and state security

There is plenty of subversion in the democratic world. The current US social justice movement is highly subversive and extremely dangerous. Britain has a huge problem with internal subversion vis a vis the European Union. Not to mention the ever present corporate subversion in the political process of all western democracies. There are plenty of other examples.

During the cold war western intelligence agencies kept internal subversion checked. With the threat of the Soviet Union gone, these measures were all but disbanded. And yet subversion remains. The question is what should be done about it.
    yes, well, I could call this subversion against my post not because I want to disagree, but because I do disagree. But it's boring; and you seem to follow the textbook definition. Fair enough, I guess.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I don't care.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think in the long term (the next 15 years or more), decreasing absolute poverty and increasing the standard of living for everybody will be of primary significance.