Thread: Relationship between contact functions and how a type persuades others

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Relationship between contact functions and how a type persuades others

It is my understanding that contact functions are used when run into unfamiliar external problems, such as when we have a disagreement with someone or need to convince someone to do something. Constructivist types have contact Logic while Emotivist have contact ethics, and Tacticians have contact sensing while strategic types have contact intuition. Therefore I'm going to hypothesize that we get the following styles of persuasion in the types:

Tactical Constructivist- ST style persuasion (ESE, ILE, ESI, ILI): These types can be direct, stubborn and unyielding when disagreeing with others. They insist heavily on their point of view and try to get others to give in to their excessive force.

Strategic Emotivist- NF style persuasion (LII, SEI, LIE, SEE): Able to skillfully manipulate the emotions of others into doing what they want. Can consciously or unconsciously play the role of a victim in order to gather support in conflict scenarios.

Strategic Constructivist- NT style persuasion (EIE, SLE, EII, SLI): Prefer to appeal to other's rationality and sense of logic. Often bring up ideas for alternative courses of action in order to improve situations. Solve problems through well thought plans.

Tactical Emotivist- SF style persuasion (LSI, IEI, LSE, IEE): Try to persuade others by offering or threatening to withhold some sort of physical object or action, such as offering money to do something. Reward others for agreeing with them and try to punish them for not agreeing.
    Last edited by Muddy; 03-03-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    It is my understanding that contact functions are used when run into unfamiliar external problems, such as when we have a disagreement with someone or need to convince someone to do something. Constructivist types have contact Logic while Emotivist have contact ethics, and Tacticians have contact sensing while strategic types have contact intuition. Therefore I'm going to hypothesize that we get the following styles of persuasion in the types:

ST style persuasion (ESE, ILE, ESI, ILI): These types can be forceful, stubborn and unyielding when disagreeing with others. They insist heavily on their point of view and try to get others to give in through their excessive force.

NF style persuasion (LII, SEI, LIE, SEE): Able to skillfully manipulate the emotions of others into doing what they want. Can consciously or unconsciously play the role of a victim in order to gather support in conflict scenarios.

NT style persuasion (EIE, SLE, EII, SLI): Prefer to appeal to other's rationality and sense of logic. Often bring up ideas for alternative courses of action in order to improve situations.

SF style persuasion (LSI, IEI, LSE, IEE): Try to persuade others with sort of physical object or action, such as offering money to do something. Reward good behavior and punish bad behavior.

Interesting! I think I'd understand more if you first define what ST/NF/NT/SF persuasion entails, when used normally.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post

ST style persuasion (ESE, ILE, ESI, ILI): These types can be forceful, stubborn and unyielding when disagreeing with others. They insist heavily on their point of view and try to get others to give in through their excessive force.

NF style persuasion (LII, SEI, LIE, SEE): Able to skillfully manipulate the emotions of others into doing what they want. Can consciously or unconsciously play the role of a victim in order to gather support in conflict scenarios.

NT style persuasion (EIE, SLE, EII, SLI): Prefer to appeal to other's rationality and sense of logic. Often bring up ideas for alternative courses of action in order to improve situations.

SF style persuasion (LSI, IEI, LSE, IEE): Try to persuade others with sort of physical object or action, such as offering money to do something. Reward good behavior and punish bad behavior.
    Lol I just did that with sol in "your typing of forum members"
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These actually kind of hold water ime.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"when run into unfamiliar external problems"

That's actually just for contact Mental, as Vital is automation.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maithili View Post
    Interesting! I think I'd understand more if you first define what ST/NF/NT/SF persuasion entails, when used normally.
    I just sort of cooked this up on the spot so I still formulating this myself. By persuading I mean trying to get someone to accept your request or judgments. What exactly they are persuading to do depends on the situation and specific type in question. It can be trying to get someone to perform a task, convincing someone to apologize for unethical actions, getting someone to leave you alone, etc. A type's ego functions still needs to be taken in account regarding this, ESE for example has contact ST but has Fe- as the base function with devalued Se and will try avoid unnecessary roughness when possible and save their stubborn, forceful nature for individuals they see acting mean or rude, whereas ESI won't restrain themselves this way. LII will be much better at emotionally manipulating people then ILI, but will still try to convince others through logic more so then SEI.
    Last edited by Muddy; 03-02-2016 at 12:28 AM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

weird

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think this might potentially be a really good way to differentiate between one's quasi-identical and mirror types when typing due to the clear contrast in these strategies, which seem to the types a lot of people have a hard time choosing between.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to the Tactical Constructivist approach the most!

And then Strategic Constructivist > Strategic Emotivist > Tactical Emotivist
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy