Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank the types in terms of IQ

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    Good answer, lol. I'm not actually questioning your intelligence, btw; I just felt irked by your response -- you strike me as awfully arrogant at times and I couldn't, or maybe just didn't, resist a bit of sarcasm here. But I was a bit like that when I was younger (no idea how old you are, and that's not my point anyway) so maybe it's the fact that you remind me of a version of myself I don't like. Anyway, that's my problem, not yours Carry on
    Anytime someone discusses their superiority in anything, it will come across as arrogant. Being able to discuss it, despite the known aggression, to answer questions regarding such is an act of maturity, not the other way around.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I suspect the I.Q., SAT, and school grades are tests designed by nerds so they can get high scores in order to call each other intelligent...Smart and wise people who score low on IQ tests, or patently intellectually defective ones, like the former U.S. president George
    W. Bush, who score high on them (130), are testing the test and not the reverse.”

― Nassim Nicholas Taleb, The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smart and wise based on what criteria? Low IQ 'wisdom' is typically comprised of frivolous truisms.

Think what you will about his egregious policies, but George Bush served two terms as the laser of the most powerful country in the world, so he's obviously reasonably intelligent. The average person with an IQ of 100-105 doesn't have the cognitive capacity to handle a job like that and would certainly fuck up harder than he did, if they even lasted a full term in office that is.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-03-2016 at 08:28 PM.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Smart and wise based on what criteria? Low IQ 'wisdom' is typically comprised of frivolous truisms.

Think what you will about his egregious policies, but George Bush served two terms as the laser of the most powerful country in the world, so he's obviously reasonably intelligent. The average person with an IQ of 100-105 doesn't have the cognitive capacity to handle a job like that and would certainly fuck up harder than he did, if they even last a full term in office that is.
    Yeah, but you can't really fuck up as President. You make decisions and as long as they are lawful and you don't get your country invaded or cause people to starve and die, it doesn't really matter how good or bad your decisions were. Though it does take some intelligence to make bad decisions and spin them so people think they were good decisions. I'd say Bush fucked up in that regard at least.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    At around 12:00 she talks about Myers Briggs types and IQ. Apparently INFP's tended to score the highest on IQ tests, but their peers tended to think that the INFP's were the ones with the lowest IQ's because of the INFP's tendency to put things in layman's terms rather than using a larger vocabulary, lol.

They change depending on who is doing the speaking/studying. You can find a variety of studies with widely varying conclusions.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strangeling View Post
    Yeah, but you can't really fuck up as President. You make decisions and as long as they are lawful and you don't get your country invaded or cause people to starve and die, it doesn't really matter how good or bad your decisions were. Though it does take some intelligence to make bad decisions and spin them so people think they were good decisions. I'd say Bush fucked up in that regard at least.
    Well he had 2 terms and put no effort into spinning things, so I'd say he won for rewards vs efforts lol

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took an IQ test as a kid, which I forgot I had done. I found the results in a box I was going through, and they said I was gifted or some such. I've probably gotten progressively dumber as time has gone on, not using my brain to its full capacity, but as far as success and such in life goes, here's an article that I really like about mental toughness or grit and its role in how much people accomplish:

http://jamesclear.com/mental-toughness

It's not IQ or talent that matters the most in the end, and its kind of a cop-out to believe that it is.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's a certain threshold of IQ do you have to reach in order to have succeed in certain fields. An IQ of 120 isn't an instant ticket to success, but they have more potential and a wider range of options. Most attractive, fulfilling and lucrative careers require an above average IQ - what good is tenacity and grit if your only option is to work some tedious blue collar job? High IQ people get to be lawyers, journalists, high-brow artists, writers, filmmakers, surgeons, politicians, maverick CEO's, etc. Mental toughness can be learned or achieved through an injection of testosterone, fluid intelligence is innate.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a certain threshold of IQ do you have to reach in order to have succeed in certain fields. An IQ of 120 isn't an instant ticket to success, but they have more potential and a wider range of options.
    Unless you want to become an astrophysicist or theoretical mathematician or something, I don't think you have much to worry about. Just like you have to have basic talent to become an elite professional athlete, but there's so so much a person can do with even average IQ that there really isn't any excuse not to pursue what you want to.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Unless you want to become an astrophysicist or theoretical mathematician or something, I don't think you have much to worry about. Just like you have to have basic talent to become an elite professional athlete, but there's so so much a person can do with even average IQ that there really isn't any excuse not to pursue what you want to.
    This. THIS.

Stephen Hawking once replied to being asked what his IQ was with, "I have no idea. Only losers brag about their IQ." And only losers obsess and let it limit them.

Go get 'em, for the love of god.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its easy for someone with an IQ above 110 to say something like that.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-04-2016 at 12:23 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its easy for someone with an IQ above 110 to say something like that.

It surely is.

And it's easy for someone with an IQ of x to craft a handy dandy excuse not to do anything in life.

...although I still think it's at least as likely that you are just trolling
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why do you think I'm trolling? I'm genuinely slow. My posts sound like trolling to you because you don't relate to the low IQ frame of reference.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah. Pretty sure it's just him being lazy, as your second paragraph suggests.

Exercise, save money, fix your supposedly F'd up face, and that's that. Or whine about it for infinity and blame your problems on things supposedly out of your own control.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think I'm trolling? I'm genuinely slow. My posts sound like trolling to you because you don't relate to the low IQ frame of reference.
    I think you're trolling bc, based on the admittedly limited evidence of your posts on this forum, you seem to be very clearly of at least, and likely above-, average intelligence.

But it really doesn't matter whether I'm right about that or not. To you, I'm just an internet stranger. What imo should matter to you is your own life, and your own actions are what have the power to affect that, whether you choose to keep bellyaching online or make something of yourself with whatever level of intelligence, street smarts, and gumption you choose to muster.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There are better ways to get attention.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    I think you're trolling bc, based on the admittedly limited evidence of your posts on this forum, you seem to be very clearly of at least, and likely above-, average intelligence.

But it really doesn't matter whether I'm right about that or not. To you, I'm just an internet stranger. What imo should matter to you is your own life, and your own actions are what have the power to affect that, whether you choose to keep bellyaching online or make something of yourself with whatever level of intelligence, street smarts, and gumption you choose to muster.
    Do you know what typically happens when I watch a mainstream tv drama? The character suddenly has an epiphany based on a seemingly benign piece of evidence and I'll have no idea how they arrived at it, and I'll have to rewind the scene and/or go through all the variables in my mind like it's some sort of math problem until I finally have a vague understanding of the character's thought process. The same thing happens with idioms, jokes, subtle power plays/gambits, etc. I'm slow when it comes to understanding implications and subtext, how one idea or event translates to or implies another. These shows are aimed at people with average IQs. That is not normal. I don't see how someone with a mind like mine can even function in the Western world.

Signs of low IQ:

http://www.ivillages.com/2015/02/08/...han-average/2/

4. You Have A Hard Time Understanding Things

This can apply to regular jokes, books, movie plots, documentaries and everything else. If you have a difficult time understanding things that other people understand in an instant (and if this does not happen only occasionally), then your IQ may be lower than the average.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-05-2016 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I might have Aspergers by the way, which is probably what's giving you the impression that I'm smarter than I actually am. An Aspie can have an IQ of 70 and seem vaguely intelligent because of their obscure interests. Some people assume that some nerdy interests like Socionics can only be appreciated by people with above average IQs, but an Aspie of any IQ range can easily gravitate towards those things.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-05-2016 at 07:03 AM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know what typically happens when I watch a mainstream tv drama? The character suddenly has an epiphany based on a seemingly benign piece of evidence and I'll have no idea how they arrived at it, and I'll have to rewind the scene and/or go through all the variables in my mind like it's some sort of math problem until I finally have a vague understanding of the character's thought process. The same thing happens with idioms, jokes, subtle power plays/gambits, etc. I'm slow when it comes to understanding implications and subtext, how one idea or event translates to or implies another. These shows are aimed at people with average IQs. That is not normal. I don't see how someone with a mind like mine can even function in the Western world.

Signs of low IQ:

http://www.ivillages.com/2015/02/08/...han-average/2/
    I might have Aspergers by the way, which is probably what's giving you the impression that I'm smarter than I actually am. An Aspie can have an IQ of 70 and seem vaguely intelligent because of their obscure interests. Some people assume that some nerdy interests like Socionics can only be appreciated by people with above average IQs, but an Aspie of any IQ range can easily gravitate towards those things.
    Maybe you do have a low IQ. Like I said I am judging based on 1-your writing ability, and 2-how often you post and bump threads about your low IQ, which seems like ironic trolling given your apparent communication abilities.

I could be wrong, of course, but I still say your life is up to you to do w as you choose, using whatever resources, abilities, and preferences you have.

Is there something in particular you believe a low IQ is keeping you from accomplishing? And have you tried your hand at it regardless? I really think perserverance trumps intelligence.

Fwiw, no one possesses all the skills and abilities they would if they were the ideal versions of themselves; everyone is "defective" in some way, just like everyone has something "special." Maybe, for the sake of your own (and even others') well-being, you could experiment w paying attention to the positive for a while -- seek out and cultivate wha you're good at. You could set out to do that for some finite time period, say 3 weeks, as a sort of experiment.
    Last edited by SongOfSapphire; 03-05-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perseverance only matters once you've passed a certain IQ threshold. What are you supposed to persevere at otherwise - head fry cook?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perseverance only matters once you've passed a certain IQ threshold.
    That's true.

I edited my post...give it a read and see what you think. Or don't.

Good luck

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

High IQ people are adept at most things that they attempt due to their high fluid intelligence, so I doubt they're capable of feeling as defective as I do.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-06-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High IQ people are adept at most things that they attempt due to their high fluid intelligence, so I doubt they're capable of feeling as defective as I do.
    A person's standards often increases with their abilities, so everyone is equally capable of feeling defective.

And btw, I also assumed you were trolling. Your language usage alone seems to demonstrate cognition above what you claim.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, but It's arguably empowering to be capable of aiming that high, and they're in a much better position to achieve their lofty aspirations than a low IQ person is.

I've seen people on the Internet with confirmed IQs as low as the high 70's who write coherently. It's not that impressive of a skill. The complexity and nuance of the ideas that a person expresses is more indicative of their intelligence than their grammar past a certain point.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-06-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing derpy about you is your lack of self-awareness.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Actually, if they are adept at most things they attempt wouldn't that include feeling more defective than you do if they choose to?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I was going to say of your last post on not understanding TV shows readily that it sounds more like autism spectrum than an IQ issue. You haven't had a real IQ test. There are parts of an IQ test that would show a poor grasp of contextual, wordly understanding consistent with being on the spectrum.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So someone on the spectrum who has an average or above average verbal IQ can still have that blindspot? The Autism forums I've browsed are replete with people in the 70-100 IQ range.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-07-2016 at 02:53 AM.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ doesn't matter. I scored 149 at one point in college. But I've been poor most my life, have an unfulfilling career, never been married, and was homeless for a period of time. I've got gender issues and I find eye contact in general awkward (so I'm probably on the spectrum).
    IQ just doesn't really matter. Human beings in general care more about how you make them feel and sharing emotions than they do about how much potential you have as an individual person. Success depends on how you tie in with other people; you could be the smartest person in the world, but if you can't get people to back you up, you only get so far. I'd say that's the biggest difference between someone on the spectrum and most everyone else is that I have to settle for being eternally socially uncomfortable in order to succeed in life. Sometimes I really hate the human race...

But yeah, it doesn't matter, god damn.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really don't want to be stuck doing dreary blue collar work for the rest of my life though. It's a matter of convenience and life flexibility for me.

TIM
    SEE! Type 7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my IQ tested officially, in college. It was 137. I also skipped third grade because I was a smart kid. I work in finance now.

ESFP knowledge in yo face. BAM.

My brain works very fast, in certain settings where Se/Te is valued. Just don't ask me to plan shit or come up with long term strategy. I am in my groove when working directly on something that will have an immediate impact.
    I'm just an effin ray of sunshine

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't want to be stuck doing dreary blue collar work for the rest of my life though. It's a matter of convenience and life flexibility for me.
    It's going to take effort, sometimes a great deal, to end up somewhere where you don't do hands on work. Unless you can find some kind of niche where you can produce something individually that's unique to yourself (like youtube videos or tech/software designs or good investment strategies), you're going to have to be really good at dealing with people and ordering them around or have a specialized skill that people let you do on your own.

Unless I'm missing something...

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So someone on the spectrum who has an average or above average verbal IQ can still have that blindspot? The Autism forums I've browsed are replete with people in the 70-100 IQ range.
    I think that's likely to be the case. I have a friend who directs a program for people on the spectrum who are high-functioning enough to hold jobs but need various kinds of support, and she thinks so.

I think the social-context blindspot is the very definition of the problem, and there may be people who are on the spectrum who are hurting in that area but okay in others and therefore simply aren't dx'd. Case in point is someone I know of (now deceased) who had a graduate degree from Harvard and whose family members think today may have been mildly autistic. There's a chapter in the book Shadow Syndromes on what a shadow (i.e., very mild) version of autism would look like. Might be worth a look.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1.Me
    2.God

Further distinction is meaningless.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    1.Me
    2.God

Further distinction is meaningless.
    I once knew an ILE neurologist with this opinion of himself, lol. (It's common among neurologists, though, from what I hear.)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's put this to rest already. My Critical Reading + Math score on the 2011 SAT was 1160. If I had studied arduously, then it would be a mediocre score. If I hadn't studied at all, it would be an okay score, objectively, although certainly mediocre in the eyes of someone who attends a private university (it was below average for my highschool in fact; a latent chasm which likely exacerbated my sense of alienation during those years), which puts me at an IQ of 105-110 tops.

My CR score was higher than my math score, even though my spatial skills are clearly superior to my verbal scores, which lends credence to my suspicion that I had studied for the test and hence the score it cannot be considered an accurate reflection of my natural acumen.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    You're both incorrect.

People who have 6-figure salaries are those who want 6-figure salaries, know the steps to achieve such, and work to achieve such. Oh, and drug dealers.
    10000xYes. Too much work and requires selling your children as slaves to the third world in the process and if you are hindu then make it 3 life times.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The bold describes me to a T, especially the second quote: when I sparred with my 250 pound boxing coach for the first time and he was pressuring me into corners, I kept trying to push back at a guy who was twice my size instead of finding a way to circumvent him. I'm a chronically helpless, overgrown chimp. I'm surprised that I can even recognize my own reflection.

Speaking as someone that has spent time around people of actual low-IQ and not figurative, and remembering that I myself am not a professional in this, I can describe low-IQ people.

They generally wander around. They are very interested in doing things everyone else is doing, and don't like it if they can't. When they get frustrated, they get angry. They end up doing simple things that don't require much thought, such as going to the store and buying candy or a soda. Generally, they're in some sort of supportive housing arrangement, like a nursing home, assisted living, or case manager.
    Typically people with low IQ give up trying to find solutions to problems fairly quickly. You will also see multiple attempts to use the same failed approach to a problem may times without variation. They tend to get frustrated quickly and lack persistence. They tend to reason in very concrete terms and find it difficult to come up with and use abstractions and analogous models. This means they often have difficulty seeing things from perspectives other than their own. Low IQ people have a small working memory so have difficulty with multi-step tasks, instructions, procedures and recalling events. This also means they are typically not able to delay gratification as they are not good at planning and executing toward extended goals.
    They probably have and/or make and/or are --

1. Sub-optimal life choices.
    2. A greater belief in the unproven and/or unproveable, including conspiracy theories.
    3. A tendency towards blinder (non-skeptical) belief in general.
    4. Jobs many others would consider menial.
    5. A lesser degree of intellectual curiosity.
    6. Less appreciation of fine arts.
    7. Less well-informed in general.
    8. Inferior medical (including preventative) care and less knowledge of nutrtition.

... And they're probably not on Quora ...
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-12-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember asking a question during a biology class during my senior year of highschool and this Korean ENTp said that he felt sorry for me. He also ended up going out with this 120's IQ Ti-ILE or Fe-ESE that I had a crush on, undoubtedly because of his high IQ repartee skills.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-18-2016 at 12:59 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I remember asking a question during a biology class during my senior year of highschool and this Korean ENTp said that he felt sorry for me. He also ended up going out with this 120's IQ Ti-ILE that I had a crush on, undoubtedly because of his high IQ repartee skills.
    Are you sure it wasn't a joke.
    You gotta shake off issues from your childhood that created buttons.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast