Thread: Humanity

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Humanity

First Im gonna start off by saying, this thread is for discussion and not debate. Stay on topic, no personal attacks for what someone has said or what someone believes.

Humanity. How do you think that we, as a species, have progressed? In what ways have we regressed? Do you think we're headed for a downward spiral, or do you think things we will improve?

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://ourworldindata.org/

In the last 116 years, the average life expectancy worldwide has increased from 31 years (in 1900) to more than 71 years today (it was 71 in 2013). Even the worse country in the world has a significantly higher average life expectancy than the world did 116 years ago.

Extreme poverty worldwide (defined as "a condition characterized by severe deprivation of basic human needs, including food, safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information") has significantly decreased in recent times: from 84% in 1820, to 9.6% in 2015. The UN expects extreme poverty to be eradicated by 2030.

In Middle Age Europe, the chances of being murdered or being killed by someone in a war was around 1 in 1000: in Modern Europe, the figure is now less than 1 in 100,000. Worldwide, in terms of the numbers being murdered or being killed by someone in a war, the 20th century was the most peaceful century in history. The 21st century so far is on track to set a new record.

I think things will continue to improve, although I'm most worried about environmental damage (both at the local and global level), out of control population growth, religious fundamentalism, social inequality, the work/life balance, and satisfactorily caring for the ever-increasing numbers of elderly individuals.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progress is subjective. One could argue that everything we do is "progressive" as long as time itself progresses.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think AI will eventually surpass all human cognitive abilities and replace us at some point in the future. In the meantime, we will continue fighting and exploiting each other.

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is our duty as a species to pierce the heavens and overthrow the Anti-Spiral. That is my opinion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's progressing alright, though I think humanity has started to push too far past the level of knowledge it contains, like giving a monkey an assault rifle. Currently, the four horsemen of the apocalypse are playing: Famine, man cannot live by bread alone; Pestilence, most of what is going on with social issues and the psychologically negative trends of society are diseases that spread; Conquest, the assault of distant arrows that aren't known to be attacks until the targets are already conquered; War, the unseen war that wages between the light and the dark. These things all lead eventually to the reduction of mankind's presence in the world. People are dying left and right in ways unseen, and the future only holds traces of the lights today, with the darkness fading into the dust from which it was created. You walk, you live. You sit, you die.

TIM
    &*self
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Humanity has a lot of potential that we somehow use. I have no fucking idea how this thing keeps going in its current state, but it does, and largely, the ideators in the system are what have the most potential to push us forward and hold us back, and there continues to be positive pushes for emancipation technologically, but negative pushes socially overmine that. Overall, I believe we are headed towards a better state, due to the revelatory potential of the pace of technological possibilities for emancipation.

Or something.
    potential

potential

(potential)
    salmon

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

We will invent technology and change our systems to live better lives and work cooperatively (at least that's my dream)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Crime has been steadily decreasing in developed countries so we are pretty clearly moving forward in terms of that. The bigger question is, however, are we really living happier now then we did in past times? We can't really know for sure since most of us don't really know how it actually was like to live back then, although we can speculate.

The benefit of living in the modern day is the conveniences brought to us by modern technologies. Could you imagine going back before washing machines and having to manually wash clothes? Or getting surgery without any drugs to numb pain? That would really suck. Another benefit of modern day is the abolishment of inhumane practices like slavery and torture.

The main drawback of today however is the dependency many of us have on the system. Many people today couldn't survive a major collapse in the system. Where are you going to get food if the market shuts down? What if you have diabetes and can't get insulin? Another risk we face is stuff like biological weapons. What if some scientist somewhere gets the idea to engineer a virus the will inflict maximum casualties across the would? Another drawback of the modern world I want to mention is that it simply takes more to please people today then it did back then. We need 4k televisions just to get then same enjoyment we did when we played with rocks back then.

And the biggest issue of all we are going to have to face is the inevitable consquences of the damage we are doing to the planet. The ecosystem is getting fucked up by all these invasive species we introduce, fish are getting wiped out by overfishing, global warming wrecking the arctic, rain forest getting destroyed, etc. Sooner or later we are going to feel the pain from all this and it is not going to be pretty.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Kind of a complicated question....

Evil is primarily fought within, until it isn't- and then you need the balls and manliness to fight real external threats.

It would be nice if social change came more quickly in the moment while it was happening. I went to school decades before It Gets Better/gay bullying became a national headline. People tend to care about stuff 20 years too late... all that support those people dished out would have been wonderful and better felt had I still needed it and if they didn't give it from such a porcelain stand point, now its quite useless. The timing is all off.

If you see something immorally wrong or just something you know is wrong in your brain- instead of being sexually attracted to it in a petty way, maybe the best thing you could do is in the moment, in the fresh birth of NOW - stand up and say something. It does take a lot of bravery. But that is the sort of ripples people remember the most.

I still think that for the most part, most people care way way way WAY too much about being popular than doing the right thing. If you want to make the world a better place, don't do it for fame. Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Even if it makes you feel corny or that George RR Martin would laugh at you or something...

Also some quote I heard on Angel once, about how true heroes understand the world is cruel and gritty and harsh- but they don't just accept that like a victim. They try to make it better. Even if they fail, they keep on trying. They don't just lie there and let the darkness win and say 'well people are just cruel there's nothing we can do about it!' like I see people in my age group doing these days.