Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low Empathy problem

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Obviously the questions such as "Are you upset when you see an animal in pain?" and "Seeing people cry doesn’t really upset me" have to do with empathy. I don't lack empathy, and I cry at sad movies and even cry watching the news sometimes and I do care about people, but I don't always know when I'm upsetting someone, and I can't always tell what someone is feeling, and I do like to take risks and do things on the spur of the moment, and social situations can be confusing, and I do say insensitive things on accident quite often, I don't always know how to judge what is rude or polite. I like rollercoasters and I don't keep up with trends. In other words, it should be easy to see how someone could score low on this test without being a psychopath or autistic.
    Same here. The test is flawed if it claims to be a test for empathy alone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are y'all sure y'all are taking this right? Based upon some things I've heard people say, it seems like some of you are imposing additional things onto the questions and have a hard time with separating cause and effect, emotional control, and actions. For instance, with 9-11, people would be crying and ask why I wasn't and if I cared or not, to which I would reply that people die every day. Did it upset me? Yes, as does the state of the world in general, such that virtually all of my time is spent thinking and lamenting over people and society. What they were attributing to "caring" was lack of emotional control and dwelling on things beyond their control, which has no bearing on internal presence of emotions or not. The events of that year ultimately lead me pursue political science as a major, without once shedding a tear or showing outward concern.

Similarly, I can argue with everyone on here, but as I wrote earlier in the thread, it has no bearing on my own internal feelings to everyone on here, as I'd probably take a bullet for anyone on here, and anyone period.

Some of you may want to go back through the quiz and answer it without imposing conditions and stereotypes onto the questions that aren't actually there.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    You asking for my own personal reasons for looking at it? Someone I know is mentally ill, and this is one of the many rocks I've overturned looking for answers.
    I see but if you are trying to look for answers for that here, you are overstepping the limits of the theory as defined. It's pointless.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    I see but if you are trying to look for answers for that here, you are overstepping the limits of the theory as defined. It's pointless.
    Not really. It's a talking point. I could have, and do, turned over other stones. It's not the theory I'm looking at, it's the people that get wrapped up in weird things like the theory.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Not really. It's a talking point. I could have, and do, turned over other stones. It's not the theory I'm looking at, it's the people that get wrapped up in weird things like the theory.
    I don't think you'll find out that much here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you'll find out that much here.
    Well, most the people are weird and/or ill, which is better than annoying people I know IRL lol

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Well, most the people are weird and/or ill, which is better than annoying people I know IRL lol
    You really think people IRL are better than this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really think people IRL are better than this?
    Nope. That's why I don't feel bad when I put it up their butt.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You don't need empathy. All that's going to happen is that you're going to relive the feelings that cause you pain and sorrow and will cause you to reexperience the emotions of loss and sadness (speaking of myself when I recall someone I love)
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

37 out of 80. I'm not an insensitive person, and I mind insensitive people, (for instance, the notion of someone cutting up worms for fun repulses me) but I also find people who are really warm and feeling too 'mushy'... My guess is I supervise mushy...
    Last edited by jason_m; 02-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Nope. That's why I don't feel bad when I put it up their butt.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the original poster, from the little I've seen, this is who you remind me of: https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...MEfIBAuy3gURA= or https://www.google.ca/search?q=katy+...53YAJvmP53M%3A

Beta NF, I guess. (And I don't know if either of those two are empathic either...)

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    You don't need empathy. All that's going to happen is that you're going to relive the feelings that cause you pain and sorrow and will cause you to reexperience the emotions of loss and sadness (speaking of myself when I recall someone I love)
    Well I already do that a lot. I don't think that has to do with empathy

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    To the original poster, from the little I've seen, this is who you remind me of: https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...MEfIBAuy3gURA= or https://www.google.ca/search?q=katy+...53YAJvmP53M%3A

Beta NF, I guess. (And I don't know if either of those two are empathic either...)
    Haha thanks. I don't get those comparisons in real life though!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    Haha thanks. I don't get those comparisons in real life though!
    IRL, do people see you as younger or older than your real age?

Jason

EDIT: older could equal Zooey Deschanel, etc., younger might be someone else, e.g.: Drew Barrymore...
    Last edited by jason_m; 02-14-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact, I'm almost certain Drew Barrymore is IEI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuKLjTXxeo

(look at how badly she relates to LSE Martha Stewart. Or rather how badly Martha Stewart relates to her!)

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IRL, do people see you as younger or older than your real age?

Jason

EDIT: older could equal Zooey Deschanel, etc., younger might be someone else, e.g.: Drew Barrymore...
    I'm 19, almost 20 and people generally think I'm 18-19 years old
    When I was 15 and 16 I looked the same age as I do now. I definitely don't look like drew barrymore haha I have never gotten that but I do love her, she has always been one of my mom (EIE) and I's fav celebrities

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 19, almost 20 and people generally think I'm 18-19 years old
    When I was 15 and 16 I looked the same age as I do now. I definitely don't look like drew barrymore haha I have never gotten that but I do love her, she has always been one of my mom (EIE) and I's fav celebrities
    Yeah, I definitely think she's IEI. There are different subtypes - e.g., Zooey Deschanel, Drew Barrymore and Ozzy Osbourne - all the same type, but three very different people...

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zoey acts IEI'ish in ways, but isn't one. The other two are.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Drew Barrymore is IEE, imo.
    That's what I originally thought, until I saw how Martha Stewart reacted to her. If Martha Stewart is LSE, why would she mind Barrymore who is IEE? I guess there are other possibilities, but I thought that the simplest answer is that Barrymore is IEI and Stewart still LSE...

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yeah, I definitely think she's IEI. There are different subtypes - e.g., Zooey Deschanel, Drew Barrymore and Ozzy Osbourne - all the same type, but three very different people...
    Zooey and Drew are both not IEI, but IEE. And both obvious ones imo.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

That's what I originally thought, until I saw how Martha Stewart reacted to her. If Martha Stewart is LSE, why would she mind Barrymore who is IEE? I guess there are other possibilities, but I thought that the simplest answer is that Barrymore is IEI and Stewart still LSE...
    Not every LSE likes every IEE. Simple answer.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zooey and Drew are both not IEI, but IEE. And both obvious ones imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Not every LSE likes every IEE. Simple answer.
    Typing anyone is always highly subjective and open to interpretation for any number of reasons....

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Well I already do that a lot. I don't think that has to do with empathy
    How are you merry then?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Typing anyone is always highly subjective and open to interpretation for any number of reasons....
    I just don't want you to go around typing obvious IEE's as Drew Barrymore into IEI's, cause you will get the wrong idea what IEI's look like: P Zooey is also painfully obvious Ne and not Ni. But ofc it's your right to type how you want.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    I just don't want you to go around typing obvious IEE's as Drew Barrymore into IEI's, cause you will get the wrong idea what IEI's look like: P Zooey is also painfully obvious Ne and not Ni. But ofc it's your right to type how you want.
    Yeah, you're right. (I could be misleading other people as well...)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't get how these tests can ever be accurate or used to diagnose someone. Not saying that this test is a diagnosis tool (idk if it is or not), but so many factors come into play when choosing your answers. If you've had a bad day, I'm sure your score would be drastically different on a good day. At least it would change a lot for me.

I thought I would score at least a 40 but I got 19.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you're right. (I could be misleading other people as well...)
    Not any more so than other people misleading you. Type as you see fit.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50... lol

Ya cold fucks

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read books on emotional intelligence, take an intro course into sociology or anthropology, volunteer or work with people who are 'less fortunate' or disenfranchised.

consider The Pale Blue Dot.

understand the shell of your body and the limitations of your mind, and how everyone else is in the same situation of their limited mortality, even if they or you are relatively unconscious about it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen to other people and practice making decisions with their perspective or limitations.

...aka Listen to other people.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

read books on emotional intelligence, take an intro course into sociology or anthropology, volunteer or work with people who are 'less fortunate' or disenfranchised.

I agree with all of this except the last one. Helping the disenfranchised will just make you feel better than them or something.

I think empathy is cultivated the most when you take away authority. People have self-authority over themselves, but lack authority over others. That is the key to develop empathy. You conduct yourself in a way and try to subconsciously and consciously realize that you are no better or no worse than anybody else. This is noble but ultimately too ideal I mean the inner Oprah in all usl always comes out. And competition and wanting to be the best naturally pwns empathy.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Listen to other people and practice making decisions with their perspective or limitations.

...aka Listen to other people.
    oh em gee. UDP IS BACK IN DA GAME

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    oh em gee. UDP IS BACK IN DA GAME
    You know, just stopping by, trying hard to front about empathy and emotional literacy, all in order to pick up NF girls.

Also, I remember this news story about how people are using virtual reality simulators for very rich or "privileged" people, and how it worked in "enhancing empathy'. I only saw headlines so idk its worth anything.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post

consider The Pale Blue Dot.

understand the shell of your body and the limitations of your mind, and how everyone else is in the same situation of their limited mortality, even if they or you are relatively unconscious about it.
    Is this supposed to be advice? I read a lot of nonfiction in not specifically those areas but related ones and politically I support helping the poor and less fortunate; I have always been inclined to socialism and the far-left in politics; though that is changing, my empathy levels are the same as they were and thus don't really have anything to do with it ....looked up the Pale Blue Dot and it is a photo of earth, and I guess that's supposed to underline the insignificance of Earth? This isn't really a factor in the empathy I possess for other human beings, like I can't see how that even has anything to do with it.
    You say to understand the limitations of the body and mind, that just makes me more depressed than ever and I think makes me care less about others, because if my body and mind don't matter than the bodies and minds of others don't matter either.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your Empathy Quotient score was 23 out of a possible 80.
    Let's see: I care to a certain point.
    Do not know about this one Fe-Ti quadras are easy to deal with. Nice guy with twisted mind. Their perception of me can be totally different from Te-Fi quadras.
    I tend to focus on people's thinking patterns. This is totally removed from feeling world. I am observer.
    Coreish stuff makes me uncomfortable.
    Problems arises because I do not make relational efforts. I'm so detached from what I need, want etc.

Nice yes, empathetic no.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 03-18-2016 at 05:11 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Empathy is about the feelings you get from people and inanimate objects as well but for exercise you should look at people. I think an Empath can sit with the poor and take their hand and listen to their story as to validate them and make them feel heard x significant, and important even for a few minutes. You are essentially stepping in to that person's shoes and life and looking at what they do how they live. When it's not your story it's theirs and you picture the motions and feelings they become feelings of empathy. They are inside your mind but you are emphasizing, you are not offering sympathy of "oh, sorry this happened to you" it's "I feel your life"

What good is empathy? It helps you connect to people
    -

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Empathy:

http://<a href="http://www.theatlant...ource=SFFB</a>

The eventual advice: "If you really want to make the world better, spend less time trying to maximize your own altruistic joy, and in a more cold-blooded way think, 'How could I help other people?'"
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    Against Empathy:

http://<a href="http://www.theatlant...ource=SFFB</a>

The eventual advice: "If you really want to make the world better, spend less time trying to maximize your own altruistic joy, and in a more cold-blooded way think, 'How could I help other people?'"
    Another set of article from him.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...mpathy/407155/
    https://bostonreview.net/forum/paul-...gainst-empathy

Although I do agree with you on the dark side of empathy, it is a necessary component of human relations. In-group empathy as described above is only one part of the equation and imo a lot of in-group empathy is sort of collective unconscious that turns individuals into extensions. This social mechanism insulates individuals from empathizing with out-group individuals but at the same time make them vulnerable to control from in group authorities. This control also creates a barrier to romantic love, especially with out group individuals.

I think when he talks about the kind of boundary breaking empathy, he's actually talking of a extension mechanism that is there as a form of social control. It breaks down boundaries of in group individuals and projects a collective ego ideal upon these individuals.

I do think there is a empathy glut in the modern literature and writing and the social expectation of in-group empathy often creates barriers to openness.

I don't value empathy very much myself, but I see at it's very core, a necessary social instrument where lacking skill in it creates incredible personal problems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast