Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Work aversion

  1. #1
    Anglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Work aversion

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_aversion
    Have you experienced this?
    How you dealt with it?

  2. #2
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,239
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    An LIE would be the one to make a thread like this. Sounds like you need ESI's Se creative to whip you into shape and get you mobilized through the mobilizing function .


    I had this problem last year after having a bad first couple of jobs that made me hesistant to go to work again. My self-esteem started gradually declining but eventually I just found a job I felt was suitable for me and my skills and went with it.

  3. #3
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, I don't think I have experienced this. I consider myself an underachiever for other reasons.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  4. #4
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,809
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I didn't work I feel like I'd be 10× more depressed and bored with life. It fills the gaps and keeps you focused on other things. Oh, and money.
    Last edited by fox; 01-07-2016 at 12:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you hate all work? Is there another way u can put this into words? Could it be that you want to be independent wwith self-defined tasks etcetcetc
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  6. #6
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,624
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    i can't relate to having an aversion to productivity in general but i think having an aversion to spending eight hours a day doing uninteresting shit without relevance to your life in service to a bureaucratic institution is completely natural and healthy.

  7. #7
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i can't relate to having an aversion to productivity in general but i think having an aversion to spending eight hours a day doing uninteresting shit without relevance to your life in service to a bureaucratic institution is completely natural and healthy.
    Move to Sweden.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,230
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Work aversion" sounds like "depressed welfare case."

  9. #9
    jaein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    USA,Midwest
    TIM
    Eii
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    "Work aversion" sounds like "depressed welfare case."
    Or just depressed.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,230
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaein View Post
    Or just depressed.
    That sounds like Id. @Starfall 's post sounds like Ego.

  11. #11
    jaein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    USA,Midwest
    TIM
    Eii
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    That sounds like Id. @Starfall 's post sounds like Ego.
    Sorry, care to elaborate?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,230
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaein View Post
    Sorry, care to elaborate?
    Id is strong automation, and causes malaise and boredom. Super-id is pleasure and weak. Super-id can lead to Id for a depressed state, to super-ego for a guarded and stressed state, or to Ego for a heightened state of awareness and enjoyment. "Effort" rests in the Mental, and lack of such in the Vital. If someone has "work aversion," they must necessarily be in the Id. They require pleasing stimuli to bring them into the Mental, preferably the Ego.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, I don't really have aversion to work. But sometimes I don't have a good state of mind, and the mind wanders. There's something more interesting that grabs my attention. Or I just don't take care of myself well enough, and overburden myself. When I remember to take enough breaks, spend some time cooling down, looking out the window, then my productivity stays acceptable. Sometimes the work of the day is particularly repetitive or impossibly hard, and then I do feel aversion. Sooner or later I can push through, though.

    I don't really have a problem with work, I just have a problem with ever-increasing requirements. I will only ever do things at my own pace. If it's not enough, then it's not enough.

  14. #14
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I´m very tired and my efforts don´t show any tangible results I get like that, especially if the lack of results is due to some very long bureucratic procedure I need to follow - that can make me lose most of my motivation.

    But usually after 2 days of good rest I get out of that state of mind.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  15. #15
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i deal with work aversion by going to work each day because i must. although i kind of feel like a parrot pulling all its feathers out all the time. when i get bored i seem to damage myself or do something self-destructive. i've also been told before that i'm highly adaptable and my ability to find ways to do things acceptably that i suck at has probably been a curse. the work gets done according to acceptable standards, but i am highly stressed and dead afterwards. but mainly i have to find a way to get into things that give energy rather than take it away. so i think that being in the wrong job is relevant here.

    i would cite depression, low self-esteem, low energy, poor sense of what i want (without changing my mind), and most importantly, social ineptitude as the causes of my issue. and burn out at this point. i'm at another sink or swim point right now and seem to have successfully avoided a full mental breakdown, so things are looking up in the extreme short term.

    i've also recently been realizing that i don't know how to manage my stress and that maybe i'm not addressing my needs as they arise because i don't know what they are.

    i can do a lot if i have a quiet work space and am free of interruptions and having to deal with people. so obviously i need to get a valuable skill. (i always knew that, but, um... i feel like an idiot trying to talk about it.)
    Last edited by inumbra; 01-15-2016 at 08:21 PM.

  16. #16
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    The root cause of this is probably some sort of social anxiety problem.... but it's like the more you do for other people, the more they expect that. It's a downward spiral of people pleasing. And being a normal well adjusted self confident faux-independent person for society is actually a form of people people because you are just behaving in a way you know they like.

    I'm kinda fine with having a shitty job , and then using my off hours to do the stuff I wanna do. I could ideally get my dream hollywood job but that would take the "dream" and fun out of it or something you know...

  17. #17
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nah, never have made a great worker bee. I don't have the self-punishing superego for it. I have a horrible work ethic and am highly undependable. The first job I got fired from was for hooking up with this girl. I didn't even bother to call in. I just gave myself a day off so I could continue to make out with her and play with her boobs and go for third base. Big deal at the time. My second job I worked at a day camp as a counselor. I got fired for punching out another camp counselor. I had a dishwasher job. I left everybody high and dry in their busiest moment. In fact, I can’t think of anything more depressing in the world than your typical stable, risk-free work job. I can see all the dead-ends. You make your measly paycheck each week and you are back to square 1. Its bullshit. There has to be opportunity for risk and expansion.

    I have dealt with it by spicing things up. I had a summer job at a golf course. I caused all sorts of mayhem there. I pissed in the lemonade jug. I ran over the flower bed with a golf cart. I fucked the lines up on the green. I worked at a strip club. I was a parking lot attendant. My job was to make sure cars didn’t get broken into. Nobody checked on me. I would punch in, stay for a half hour, and then leave, and then come back at the end of the night. The valet didn’t give a fuck. I had them turning a blind eye. If I stayed, I would BS in the valet box. I worked at a retail clothing store. I caused all sorts of mayhem there. I vandalized the manager’s book about cats. I stole hundred dollar shirts out of the back room.
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 01-20-2016 at 06:36 PM.

  18. #18
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    The root cause of this is probably some sort of social anxiety problem.... but it's like the more you do for other people, the more they expect that. It's a downward spiral of people pleasing. And being a normal well adjusted self confident faux-independent person for society is actually a form of people [pleasing] because you are just behaving in a way you know they like.
    i think this applies in my case because i think i haven't been *socially* adaptable enough in that i see people as like coming at me all the time and i have to figure out how to deal with it but can't do so in my normal ways when i get overwhelmed (escape, or saying what i actually think). at work, most of these people also happen to have way more power than me and have a lot of standards about acceptable ways to interact, and i follow suit because i don't understand this game so it's kind of the only thing i feel i can do. *but* i haven't really been taking risks with this because i really just am scared of people throwing me out on the street and being incapable of getting someone else to hire me. and although it is true that work places are conformist - conform or get fired is how it feels - there may be risks i can take to feel more like how i am lines up with my own standards (i disagree with many of theirs), i don't know. really, though i need to move out of this type of job and it's down to my larger cowardice in feeling like i can't do it.

    i wouldn't call it totally social anxiety though. i really do need a lot of solitude, although i can share solitude with someone close.

  19. #19
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had a job at a race track. I kept that one for awhile. I would walk a dog out onto the track and then get the dog afterward. They called it a lead-out. I was there for awhile. Nobody told you what to do. You just did the same thing. So everything kind of just clicked. After each race, you got a break, while the other lead out team did their race. In the break room, guys would play cards. BS. Your girl could come by and hang out. Some lead outs got drunk. They kept a liquor stash in their locker. This one guy was in his fifties. He was a genuine fully functioning drunk, like night and day. I also knew a lot of the other lead outs, they were kids that had been a few grades up than me in high school. The job was sorta fun and it also paid well. It had a diversity of workers, from old to young. i was the second youngest. the youngest was a friend of mine. he was like my shadow. he would get jobs pretty much wherever I got a job. You walked the dogs out onto the track and into the box. There would be two older dudes there, union guys. They were funny. He always talked about pussy and fucking. He would make fun of the other guy. he was hilarious. i saw one greyhound break its neck. that was pretty cool. I saw another greyhound escape. It ran right off the track and through an open gate. Run, forest, run. He ended up getting ran over. I got into a fight there too. I beat up one of the lead outs. He had beer muscles. I didn’t get fired for that, though. Then I realized something. I knew that I was a great arm wrestler. like the best. a freak of nature when it comes to right handed arm wrestling. have been since i was a kid. i beat everybody in high school. I’d go up to the biggest kid during lunch and say let's go. Then beat him. I could let most people use two hands and still beat them. I beat big jacked up dudes too. My friend’s older brother arm wrestled me once in his kitchen. he was a roid head. I beat him, and he flipped out and started to yell. Then he arm wrestled me again and i beat him again. This time he kicked the trash can and start banging on the kitchen cabinets, yelling, swearing. He was a pussy, though. Then I beat him again. Tortured him. I beat a 40 something year old guy fresh out of jail. He had man strength. Guys bet on the match and I won. I beat a middle weight arm wrestling champion one night at a pool hall. So at the race track job, I am looking at the table and considering it perfect to arm wrestle on. I got the sense that I could beat all these guys. It would certainly be the biggest triumph for myself to date given the sheer excessiveness of it. So I made a move. And before you know it I got what I wanted. I arm wrestled every lead out. I did this and not one of them could beat me. It had been my biggest victory yet. Back to back, I just beat every one of them. My arm was super sore for a week such that I couldn’t straighten it out without experiencing a huge pain right in the meaty tendon spot between bicep and forearm. Still, my favorite job, by far.
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 01-20-2016 at 09:54 PM.

  20. #20
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    did you just move half your post above mine so it would be at the top again?

    well, i recently worked as a masseuse's aid because it gives me rights to people's backs and i like bruising people's flesh by mistake because then i am marking as many people as possible. i did all sorts of outrageous stuff at that job. i managed to trample a man when i was coming out of the restroom. yeah, i saw him there. but i just kept going. then i noticed the fire extinguisher on the wall, so i just bludgeoned him a few times with it. hehe. no reason, i just don't like how he shuffles his feet when he walks. he knew not to report me because there'd be hell to pay. he was too scared to look me in the eye after that and he quit because he couldn't face me.

    i also screwed the manager of the establishment at least once a week. i got her to give me little pay raises and bonuses and buy me dinner and so on. and it would have been the perfect job, until she found out i was also fucking in broom closets with women masseuses. that was when i had to get out of there. so what did i do? i made off with half the cabinet of body oil. the manager couldn't do anything about that because i'd recorded us having sex on her desk and she knew i could bring that footage forward at any time.

    i also peed in the pool every morning. i feel confined when i can't jizz wherever.

    Last edited by inumbra; 01-20-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: my jobs are more outrageous

  21. #21
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    lmao @ "he had man strength."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •