View Poll Results: What do you think about plus size modeling?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worse than anorexic modeling

1 7.69%
  • As bad as anorexic modeling

3 23.08%
  • Better than anorexic modeling, but worse than regular modeling

2 15.38%
  • Same as regular modeling

7 53.85%
  • All modeling is wrong / objectifying / whatever to the women in principle

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus-size models

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Plus size models

See poll ^ ?

Just curious about your thoughts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...dels-1.3358377

SFU research suggests plus-size models may lead to obesity

Research conducted at Simon Fraser University suggests the inclusion of plus-size models in advertising results in less motivation to have a healthy lifestyle, but critics say the results are overly-simplistic.

The study, The (Ironic) Dove Effect, claims one of the reasons why being larger-bodied appears to be "contagious" when seen in advertising is because it's seen as more socially permissible, especially when it's coupled with certain types of messaging.

The research suggests after having seen plus-size models along with those types of statements, the study's subjects made poor food choices, had lower intentions to exercise, and had lower support for programs that serve to curb obesity.
    Brent McFerran

SFU assistant professor Brent McFerran says it's probably best to use a variety of body types in advertising and not make judgement calls on their sizes. (CBC)

"There's some downside to using larger models and then coupling that with statements like, 'these people are real' or normal,' making some value judgements saying that it's ok to be overweight or obese," says study co-author Brent McFerran, assistant professor of marketing at SFU's Beedie School of Business.

McFerran said research has shown that under-sized models in advertising also have negative effects, as has using larger models and "fat-shaming" them.

"Swinging the pendulum too far in either direction ... is probably problematic," said McFerran.

"The usage of a range of body types is probably a good thing, so long as we're not holding up either one of those bodies, be it large or be it small, and saying this is what you should strive to, or this is good."

Study 'overly simplistic'

Plus-size model Ruby Roxx decried the research, saying it's "overly simplistic."

"I don't watch these ad campaigns and go, 'There's my excuse not to go to the gym that day,'" she said. "It doesn't work that way."

She says regardless of the results, a person's size has nothing to do with how healthy they may or may not be.

"Only a doctor can tell you that," she said.

"You just need to think, the weight I'm at: Am I healthy? Am I happy? If I'm not, what can I do to change that? It's not about being something unrealistic."

The models used in the research were women who met the medical requirements for obesity, meaning they had a BMI of over 30. The series of five studies included in the research had about 800 subjects all together. The research was published in the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing.
    Last edited by xerx; 12-31-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't personally care for it, and think obesity is nasty, but to each their own.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I mean, as long as they're healthy.

Not all thin models are anorexic, btw. A lot of them are just naturally thin.
    "Plus size" usually means obese, so none of them are "healthy."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not all thin models are anorexic, btw. A lot of them are just naturally thin.
    Healthy weight has limits. Unhealthy weight is the pathology.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think obese models in abundance make obese people feel more comfortable with themselves. whether this does or doesn't contribute to those obese people trying to lose weight is an interesting question. i could see a way for it to go either way. i suppose i don't think plus size models are a significant enough factor in all of this to care about. if there are plus sized clothes it makes sense to have plus sized models.

i suppose by creating clothing for fat people we accept that they are here among us, and then by having fat people model the fat clothing we are expressing this acceptance; and with greater acceptance more people might feel free to also "just let themselves go," but yes, i think that's just too simplistic a way to look at it. it fails to acknowledge all the factors, and is already based on judging the obese as lazy gluttons (that stereotype)... so the question they really want to ask is "why can't we just condemn them?"
    Last edited by marooned; 01-01-2016 at 03:16 AM.

Creepy-bg

i wonder if widening the body image in advertising has effected sales either way. (didn't really read anything in this thread besides glancing over it, if that got answered)

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on where they store weight. If they have a larger midsection then yes, they are at a risk for health issues. If they store fat mostly in their hips, butt and thighs, they will be healthier. This is largely due to genetics though.
    Don't those people run risks of limb diseases and joint damage? I've seen people with big lower bodies have their limbs basically rot off, but don't remember what causes it, other than obesity.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is a weird topic, but generally I would not support plus size models, because in situations where they are a little more than plus size, they make people think being unhealthy is ok.

There is a fat acceptance tied to this that I think is so much liberal permissive gobbledy****.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm still surprised that people are so intent on actively condemning obese people. Afaik a lot of the acceptance movement starts from wanting to not be essentially harassed for appearing in public and not be instantly prejudged by health professionals based on size for any single health problem an obese person may have, even hereditary problems for eg, which would occur regardless of size.

Secondly, since when has shaming something socially ever made that thing disappear? (Hint: drugs, child abuse, kinky sex.) Thirdly, if someone's shape is of such dire importance to you, don't you need a hobby? Fourthly, if you care SO MUCH about people's HEALTH then at least have some consistency and become a health practician.

Besides, by the tenets of social darwinism it'll be more space on earth for your future offsprings.
    Reason is a whore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is, that you should not condone obesity, but at the same time, you should not condemn the obese. Obesity is a state, an object. The obese are people, that which is destined to overcome the negative. That said, if you uplift and make comfortable an obese person, it is harmful, if it is not followed by the positive reinforcement of behaviors that will lead to a healthy weight.

You: Hey!
    Fatty: Hi!
    You: Those clothes look great on you!
    Fatty: Really?! Thanks!
    You: Yeah! Come on, let's go!
    Fatty: Where?
    You: I wanna take you to see this thing on the other side of the park!
    Fatty: The other side of the park? Way over there?
    You: Yeah! Come on! Everyone will get to see how great you look in your outfit too!
    Fatty: Well, I don't know...
    You: It's going to be great! Let's go! You have to see this!
    *Fatty gets some exercise, and enjoys doing it*

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally someone! I can't believe it took them so long... Both obesity and underweight are dangerous and presenting both might cause harm to the healthy perception of human's body. Overweight people who say "I am just happy with my self" have no idea what harm they actually cause to their bodies and how can they suffer with different chronic diseases in the future.It's a paradox that it's usually perceived right to tell an underweight person to gain some weight, but telling an overweight person to lose is generally seen as an insult.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    Finally someone! I can't believe it took them so long... Both obesity and underweight are dangerous and presenting both might cause harm to the healthy perception of human's body. Overweight people who say "I am just happy with my self" have no idea what harm they actually cause to their bodies and how can they suffer with different chronic diseases in the future.It's a paradox that it's usually perceived right to tell an underweight person to gain some weight, but telling an overweight person to lose is generally seen as an insult.
    That's slightly obvious isn't it? Most the U.S. is overweight lol. If most were underweight, it would be like the little old Chinese ladies that tell their grandsons to eat some more lol.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion on this topic confuses even myself. On one hand, it's nice to see real looking women because it makes me feel less guilty for being chubby myself. On the other hand, I think it sends people the wrong message. For example, on this one entertainment website that I follow, they are all about showcasing this one model who is 300lbs. I get that they want to promote body positivity, but I mean come on...that is not the right way to do it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    My opinion on this topic confuses even myself. On one hand, it's nice to see real looking women because it makes me feel less guilty for being chubby myself. On the other hand, I think it sends people the wrong message. For example, on this one entertainment website that I follow, they are all about showcasing this one model who is 300lbs. I get that they want to promote body positivity, but I mean come on...that is not the right way to do it.
    That's what that is. They get money for people viewing it. It's not "glamorizing" that girl, it's making her into a zoo attraction. No one looks at it (as opposed to like Victorias Secret) and thinks... Man... If only I could be THAT fat...

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling an underweight person that they are too skinny when they struggle to put on weight can be just as hurtful.
    I'm almost underweight, simply because I don't deal well with the hassle of feeding myself lol

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    I'm almost underweight, simply because I don't deal well with the hassle of feeding myself lol
    You are probably what some people would call an "ectomorph", whereas most of those plus size models are "endomorphs".
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post
    You are probably what some people would call an "ectomorph", whereas most of those plus size models are "endomorphs".
    Hmmmm.... Seems possibly correct. Guess I wouldn't know without a good supply of food lol

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

every model should have a healthy bmi, avoid nicotine and drugs, be free of disease, and engage in regular public service, so as to prevent sending the wrong message. silly as fuck. OR some models can be underweight, some average, some overweight, and they can just do their jobs?? like, who fucking cares??

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's kind of unfair when bigger size clothing gets modeled by a slim model. It's misleading. So I think plus-size models are just like regular models, for the respective-sized clothing. After all, that is the role of a model -- to model clothing for the consumer.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    every model should have a healthy bmi, avoid nicotine and drugs, be free of disease, and engage in regular public service, so as to prevent sending the wrong message. silly as fuck. OR some models can be underweight, some average, some overweight, and they can just do their jobs?? like, who fucking cares??
    Because body shaming is all the rage.

I know that if there had been plus-size models when I was in my teens, I would have never hated my body the way I did. Diversity is about giving everyone something or somebody to relate to and not feel like a freak.

And I really like to see what clothes look like on my body type before I buy them.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

its also worth noting that this is a plus-size model.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

but tess holiday is someone the term 'plus-size' actually seems to apply to. the fact that perfectly normal looking women are considered 'plus-size' shows how skewed the modeling industry has been to begin with.

(not that I necessarily think this is evidence the industry 'needed' plus size models for better representation or whatever - I really don't care because its about profit and if skinny sells or fat sells is up to the consumer and I don't see the modeling industry as providing a public service that needs to send the right message to the kids or whatever. but the fight against plus-size models seems like really misdirected energy, especially from people who never seemed to care about kids emulating kate moss)

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF ... her BMI must be like 20.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs to lose 10 lbs.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

WTF ... her BMI must be like 20.
    No, around 22-23. Average models have it around 18.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's all post our BMI's and preferred BMI's of potential mates.

Me: 21. Mates: 19.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    No, around 22-23. Average models have it around 18.
    She looks slim to me. My BMI is around 19 I think I look similar to her. But I guess the fact she's wearing the black sweater on the top makes he look skinnier and the way she stands must also play its role in it.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

BMI is bullshit oftentimes...

She looks slim to me. My BMI is around 19 I think I look similar to her. But I guess the fact she's wearing the black sweater on the top makes he look skinnier and the way she stands must also play its role in it.
    Also our friend photoshop visited her quite a bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    BMI is bullshit oftentimes....
    Oh. Sorry. Females can post their bra-size too, so we can take that into weight considerations.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another yearly reminder that BMI is merely your height to weight ratio, and not representative of bone density, tissue density, water retention, volume of fat vs volume of muscle, fat and muscle distribution leading to body shape, height of hair on your head, preferred brand of sunglasses and colour of last fireworks watched.
    Reason is a whore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Starfall nooooooooooooooo

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? If I gained only 10 pounds I'd have a less than 19 BMI, which is still slim. Plus, I lift weights and eat clean so it'd be extra muscle.
    Oh lol. Well I dunno what you look like, so no idea if that would make things better or worse imo lol

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok.

Me: 21 Mates: 18-- but there is wiggle room.

Not sure why people are bashing BMI. It's still the most trusted indicator. It's the one they teach in medical school and doctors still use it. It's just not useful in very specific situations.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    ok.

Me: 21 Mates: 18-- but there is wiggle room.

Not sure why people are bashing BMI. It's still the most trusted indicator. It's the one they teach in medical school and doctors still use it. It's just not useful in very specific situations.
    Ah. Yeah. That's like me lol. Didn't want to say 18 though lol. It's weird being a skinny guy and having a girl thicker than you lol. Not to mention, that just simply doesn't work in bed lol.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it doesn't measure body fat percentage. For instance, you could have two people of the same height who are both 125, one skinny fat and one fit and muscular with less body fat. They will look quite different from each other.

http://paleozonenutrition.com/2012/0...-lift-weights/
    Im well aware. It's actually preferred to body fat percentage though because BMI tells you more about the person's overall health/their risk for certain diseases.... and, more than that, you can tell if someone's BMI is null based on what the person looks like.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it doesn't measure body fat percentage. For instance, you could have two people of the same height who are both 125, one skinny fat and one fit and muscular with less body fat percentage. They will look quite different from each other.

http://paleozonenutrition.com/2012/0...-lift-weights/

I like the one on the right.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. Yeah. That's like me lol. Didn't want to say 18 though lol. It's weird being a skinny guy and having a girl thicker than you lol. Not to mention, that just simply doesn't work in bed lol.
    hah i was pretty much just being antagonistic to this thread. Plus, I think it's funny. In the healthy range, I'd have no idea how to guess the BMIs of the bodies that are attractive to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    hah i was pretty much just being antagonistic to this thread. Plus, I think it's funny. In the healthy range, I'd have no idea how to guess the BMIs of the bodies that are attractive to me.
    Well, doesn't mean you can't give it the good ol college try and guess anyways lol. I just wanted to see if anyone jumped down my throat, so I would know who the secret internet fatties are lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet she has a higher BMI than the one on the left.
    I meant the liver looking thing lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast