Thread: Extreme Builds

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Extreme Builds

Last edited by Shay; 04-25-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't work on my computer and the only full episodes I found on youtube charge $2 to watch... But I found this little clip:

She seems very likeable. A good communicator. Not feeling a strong IEE vibe though I am not ruling it out. Maybe LSE? But I have no strong guesses from just from that short video.

But I read a youtube description of one of the shows: "Newly engaged couple Mike and Laura get to work building an energy-efficient home; Laura butts heads with a foam wall contractor" and i am EXTREMELY CURIOUS! Because we have a long-awaited foam contractor coming have early next week and I know I stressed the foam guy out a LOT with my MANY questions about foam fumes....(I decide to go with it after MUCH deliberation). Did you see that episode?? What happened with the foam guy??
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Thanks @Eliza Thomason for letting me know that the video didn't work. I shall try and find another source.
    I also found Laura to be likeable and the episode was about constantly developing conflict between Laura and her building contractor Dwayne.
    Dwayne developed the styrofoam wall technology which Laura desired to use in her new home which she designed.
    Eventually Dwayne was removed from the job by Laura's new husband to be.

What are you yourself hoping to have made from foam by your foam contractor?
    My husband is creating a room from a 3-season porch - the old kind of porch with storm windows all around for windows, that really isn't a useful room, or attractive. We spent many hours designing and redesigning this new space. Before it was really just a cluttered messy ugly storage room (we have no garage or shed - shed comes next) that we had to walk all the way through - from the BACK YARD - to enter the house at the main entry towards the front of the house. So our house had no visible front door.

For the big transformation, besides extending the room to the back yard 5', we added a portico porch toward the front, so we now have a side-facing real front door, instead the old sad, backyard-facing door. Now, about six foot wide of that front end of the room is the short walk-through into the rest of the house, vs. before, where the entire length of the room was walk-through. Also one corner of the walk-through end, by the door, is for coats and boots, and the other corner will be the washer and dryer, side-by-side (before, the washer was in the kitchen & the dryer on that porch).

That leaves the rest of the space for a a little extra living space, which we really need downstairs. We have just a small living room now, as the other porch which my husband made into a nice den/library and powder room is now my Mom's bedroom quarters. So the one small living room feels a bit tight for the three sometimes. Especially in winter when we are out less. Add overnight guests here (which turns out to be frequent!) and you really do wish for just a little more space, which we will get with this room, and a better main floor layout. And a wee bit of style to a very plain house. The outside looks so much nicer now, and the neighbors tell us that, too. And except for the siding (its tar paper now), the outside is all done, and the plumbing and electric is almost done - all by my husband. (He's so smart. )

So - the foam. My dream is a room full of windows that is a winter sanctuary. In the winter, when in late January and February cabin fever sets in, you can go in there even barefoot and look out of plenty-windows all around, and enjoy winter's beauty, to the side yard with its big pines, and to the woods and wildlife out back, all blanketed in snow - and still be pleasantly warm and toasty even on the coldest winter days. No drafts! So I researched how to ensure this, quite a bit. I discovered that the nice heated floor I talked my dear husband into researching how to install won't completely do the job. What is really needed, also, is spray foam insulation all-around - walls, ceiling, and floor. Spray foam insulation eliminates all possible draft-leaks around the energy star windows and doors. And that makes the room as insulated as one's fridge/freezer. That's why you aren't cold standing next to your freezer. They all use this stuff to insulate it. So the same thing will go everywhere in that room, and that room, I have great hope, can be that dream winter sanctuary, with a nice view of the outdoors, yet warm and comfy even on bitter-cold winter days.

However after my initial excitement over this solution I began to read problems some homeowners had with off-gassing that basically never seemed to stop. So what followed was TONS of research, inquiries to the insulation guy, looking up everything he said, more inquiries to the insulation guy, locating and interviewing referenced satisfied contractors and homeowners, reading closely what the complainers said and looking for a pattern, trying to discern if everyone was telling the truth. I know the contractor got a little stressed out by my deluge of inquiries.

I fretted over this and went with my gut and we are going to go forward with it next week. It is supposed to stop off-gassing in a day or two. We are sealing off that side of the house, and not having my husbands 5-year old granddaughter here that week, to be sure she is safe (this is a 2nd home for her). And I sure hope that by week's end I am not smelling any off-gassing. I will feel a lot better then.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    @Eliza Thomason - sounds like your home is going through major transformation and I hope the end result is better than you dreamed.
    Thanks Shay! Its our passion, to work on this home, which not fancy, but it ours (well, its half the bank's!). We work together great and duality is certainly a part of that. We are the Duals into creative expression and we put a lot of that in this house. This room is not huge but we are making the very most of it. Yesterday was the long-anticipated spray foam installation. They certainly earned their pay (which we delayed work to save for). Suiting up and crawling under the VERY small crawl space under the floor to spray foam - wow. The guy that did that looked like a Ninja. They worked very hard. The smell is dissipating, and appears to be gone, yet we will keep the windows open all week in there. Next forced air intake and outtake vents, then comes wallboard, - ceiling first, then walls. Then the electric floor heating system, then the hardwood...

I am thinking of watching that episode. Paying for youtube on my TV would be new to me, so I am not sure when I will get to it. I am wondering if this is the spray-foam episode you posted?