Thread: Share Your Makeup Routine

TIM
    sx/sp
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Share Your Makeup Routine

On the same vein as the last thread (show us your skincare/cosmetics collection), share the products and techniques you use to get ready - in the morning or evening, glam or understated, what are THE most wearable looks for you at the current moment? How long does it take you to get ready? Are you into skincare, hair, or sultry eyes? What palettes do you adore? Share any of these things and more

I can start..or chime in after I see where the thread is headed..

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

foundation + powder. it takes a few minutes. i used to apply eye liner, shadow and mascara, but i don't really bother these days as i feel my appearance is terrible and so i don't feel inspired.

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I don't wear as much makeup as I used to now that I'm not working a cosmetics based job. For a while the guy I was dating didn't allow me to wear any... when I do wear makeup it really depends on how I'm feeling that day.

Usual work makeup routine in order:
    - Biore watery essence SPF 50
    - Tarte Amazonian clay foundation in light-medium sand - or - a compact mineral foundation
    - Becca lowlight/highlight perfecting palette (for contouring)
    - translucent finishing powder
    - chapstick
    - anastasia brow pencil
    - eyeliner (optional) liquid cat eye or smoked pencil
    - mascara

I use a variety of brushes.

It seems like a lot, but I can do it very quickly. Sometimes, depending on if I have to wake up at 4 AM and on how lazy or depressed I am, I will just do sunscreen and mineral foundation, nothing on my brows or eyes (my current job doesn't require full face makeup like my other ones did).

If I'm going out to an event or want to impress people I will do the same steps, but I will also add eye shadow (I do a signature smokey eye), contour with concealer and wear lip liner, lipstick or lip gloss. If I'm having pictures taken I will buff powder onto my face to give photos an airbrushed quality (it is an amazing technique, but feels heavy). When I worked in cosmetics I would also add those steps, minus the buffing. It is a very made up look.

If I'm going to the gym I will just wear sunscreen or bb cream, nothing else.
    Last edited by fox; 11-24-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

regular primer > eyelid primer > dab on liquid foundation, then buff it in > dab on concealer, buff that in too > contour cheekbones > blush > highlight cheeks, browbone, chin and nose > brush in crease color > add darker crease color near outer corner > brush over with lid color (weird, I know) > play with other colors if I'm feeling fancy > setting spray, wait a few min > fill in eyebrows > mascara > lipstick

I should really start lining my lips.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

I probably spend more time on my hair than anything else. I just cut it but it is still long, like right at my hips, when I straighten it. In the shower I wash my hair first, leave conditioner on until the very end, exfoliate and smooth (everything) then moisturizer (in shower kind). I have very little body hair, fortunately, and what I have is very light and fine, probably from years of waxing some areas.I would like to have laser hair removal some day so I don't ever have to shave or wax again. Coconut or argan oil in my hair, while very wet, because it helps shape and smooth the curl. Sometimes I condition with pure virgin olive oil overnight then wash out in the morning. After my shower I keep my hair in a towel for an hour or two until I style it. It stays wet a long time, so I drink coffee and check forums while waiting. Sometimes I watch a whole movie with my hair in a towel. I call it multitasking.

If my color is fading I spend extra time using red color restoring shampoos and conditioners. I don't like to color often so I only do my roots, when needed, but try to limit full hair coloring to every 6 months. Color restoring keeps my hair color while limiting damage. I have been red for awhile and it is hard to maintain otherwise. I do not wash my hair every day but co-washes are ok for everyday, only if needed, but still strips the color. If it looks good, when I wake, I put a bit more oil in it, finger comb it, then use a turbie twist towel to keep it dry while I shower.

I put my contacts in after the humidity clears, moisturizer on my face, lip balm or coconut oil on lips, brow filler/color, then take my hair out of the towel to twist it. I usually let it continue to dry naturally but I have a ceramic, ionic dryer and ceramic tourmaline straightener when I want it smooth. On a typical day when I do not have to go anywhere I take my time. I do my nails a couple times a week but sometimes I leave my fingernails bare but not my toes. I do wear earrings and hair accessories most days, even when I am not going out. I like to play with different hairstyles but I usually end up pulling it up if I don't feel like dealing with it, even after an hour of straightening sometimes, since it starts to bug me when it is in my face while I am on the computer. I like slouchy caps lately and wear them often now that the weather has cooled. It also hides roots when I am slacking. Sometimes I wear a flower clip or dangling hair jewelry. I am a fan of the single side braid and will weave sparkly things into my braids.

https://www.etsy.com/market/slouchy_hat

If I have somewhere to go I can speed up the whole process by drying on cool setting with a diffuser and I spend some extra time on a brown/black mascara so it doesn't get on or under my contacts. I find rushing it leads to wiping it all off, removing contacts, rinsing and repeat. Oh and sometimes I use bronzer over powder if I am going to an appointment since I am a bit pale these days. I don't really mind looking pale though.

I will use a light, shimmery, full body bronzer, or even a light self tanner, if I am going out for a special occasion. Red or dark purple lipstick looks fine on me but only for dark places and only if I am wearing all black or something red. I also have black lipstick and nail polish for "dark places". I have worn white mascara and nail polish too, with violet/blueish lips and I liked the look. Don't ask where... If I do go out to a club or bar I will go with red, or shades of purple, lips (sometimes) but I skip bronzer and focus on making my lashes long and dark (blackest black). My cheekbones tend to look prominent even when I don't do anything to them. I don't do well with fake lashes but I like to pair two different mascaras (false fibers) that make people think I have false lashes on. But that is only for events and parties. I actually like nude shades of everything because it looks like I am not really wearing makeup so I would wear those for a day event. I am fortunate that I basically earn my money sitting at home so I do not have to do any of this to go to work in a professional environment anymore. I can spend my days makeup free so washing my face at night takes very little time or effort. I spend about 10 minutes on my teeth in the morning and again at night. I floss every day. I have electronic gadgets for my teeth. Sonic toothbrush and waterpik. I love them and recommend to everyone.

This all sounds long and complicated when I read over it but it really is all done at a relaxed pace and doesn't take a lot of effort really. At least not more than I feel comfortable putting into it. I do have to take a medication (off label) before I shower due to a water allergy but it is not the worst kind of water allergy one can have and I live a normal life with it. I take 30-40 minute showers after I numb myself. The meds make me a bit more spacy and imaginative so I start to commune with water. When I have somewhere to be I have to set a timer so I am not late. Even though the meds can make me lose track of time but the effect does not last all day only the first couple of hours.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    sx/sp
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyan View Post
    I probably spend more time on my hair than anything else. I just cut it but it is still long, like right at my hips, when I straighten it. In the shower I wash my hair first, leave conditioner on until the very end, exfoliate and smooth (everything) then moisturizer (in shower kind). I have very little body hair, fortunately, and what I have is very light and fine, probably from years of waxing some areas.I would like to have laser hair removal some day so I don't ever have to shave or wax again. Coconut or argan oil in my hair, while very wet, because it helps shape and smooth the curl. Sometimes I condition with pure virgin olive oil overnight then wash out in the morning. After my shower I keep my hair in a towel for an hour or two until I style it. It stays wet a long time, so I drink coffee and check forums while waiting. Sometimes I watch a whole movie with my hair in a towel. I call it multitasking.

If my color is fading I spend extra time using red color restoring shampoos and conditioners. I don't like to color often so I only do my roots, when needed, but try to limit full hair coloring to every 6 months. Color restoring keeps my hair color while limiting damage. I have been red for awhile and it is hard to maintain otherwise. I do not wash my hair every day but co-washes are ok for everyday, only if needed, but still strips the color. If it looks good, when I wake, I put a bit more oil in it, finger comb it, then use a turbie twist towel to keep it dry while I shower.

I put my contacts in after the humidity clears, moisturizer on my face, lip balm or coconut oil on lips, brow filler/color, then take my hair out of the towel to twist it. I usually let it continue to dry naturally but I have a ceramic, ionic dryer and ceramic tourmaline straightener when I want it smooth. On a typical day when I do not have to go anywhere I take my time. I do my nails a couple times a week but sometimes I leave my fingernails bare but not my toes. I do wear earrings and hair accessories most days, even when I am not going out. I like to play with different hairstyles but I usually end up pulling it up if I don't feel like dealing with it, even after an hour of straightening sometimes, since it starts to bug me when it is in my face while I am on the computer. I like slouchy caps lately and wear them often now that the weather has cooled. It also hides roots when I am slacking. Sometimes I wear a flower clip or dangling hair jewelry. I am a fan of the single side braid and will weave sparkly things into my braids.

https://www.etsy.com/market/slouchy_hat

If I have somewhere to go I can speed up the whole process by drying on cool setting with a diffuser and I spend some extra time on a brown/black mascara so it doesn't get on or under my contacts. I find rushing it leads to wiping it all off, removing contacts, rinsing and repeat. Oh and sometimes I use bronzer over powder if I am going to an appointment since I am a bit pale these days. I don't really mind looking pale though.

I will use a light, shimmery, full body bronzer, or even a light self tanner, if I am going out for a special occasion. Red or dark purple lipstick looks fine on me but only for dark places and only if I am wearing all black or something red. I also have black lipstick and nail polish for "dark places". I have worn white mascara and nail polish too, with violet/blueish lips and I liked the look. Don't ask where... If I do go out to a club or bar I will go with red, or shades of purple, lips (sometimes) but I skip bronzer and focus on making my lashes long and dark (blackest black). My cheekbones tend to look prominent even when I don't do anything to them. I don't do well with fake lashes but I like to pair two different mascaras (false fibers) that make people think I have false lashes on. But that is only for events and parties. I actually like nude shades of everything because it looks like I am not really wearing makeup so I would wear those for a day event. I am fortunate that I basically earn my money sitting at home so I do not have to do any of this to go to work in a professional environment anymore. I can spend my days makeup free so washing my face at night takes very little time or effort. I spend about 10 minutes on my teeth in the morning and again at night. I floss every day. I have electronic gadgets for my teeth. Sonic toothbrush and waterpik. I love them and recommend to everyone.

This all sounds long and complicated when I read over it but it really is all done at a relaxed pace and doesn't take a lot of effort really. At least not more than I feel comfortable putting into it. I do have to take a medication (off label) before I shower due to a water allergy but it is not the worst kind of water allergy one can have and I live a normal life with it. I take 30-40 minute showers after I numb myself. The meds make me a bit more spacy and imaginative so I start to commune with water. When I have somewhere to be I have to set a timer so I am not late. Even though the meds can make me lose track of time but the effect does not last all day only the first couple of hours.
    I loved reading about your routine. The minutae of this stuff can be fascinating. My routine might be as long overall but I wasn't sure I was going to recall *everything*. Your post makes me want to try though, thank you for sharing . Here's a funny vid I saw the other day, they have a lot less steps than you but it was still just stereotypically funny or something.

TIM
    IEI 4w3 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It changes occasionally, but for now my day-to-day routine (not every day but most days):
    Moisturize (Eucerin)
    Primer (Missha M Signature Real Complete)
    Foundation (Etude House Stay Up Foundation in Beige but when I was tanner I liked the Maybelline Fit Me Matte in Natural Beige 220 and I love Becca foundation)
    Undereye concealer (Maybelline Age Rewind in the palest one)
    Regular concealer (Makeup Forever Full Cover in Shade 6 now or 10 when tan)
    Mascara (Maybelline Full & Soft or Loreal Voluminous Million Lashes; Givenchy mascara for second coat)
    Blush/Bronzer (Some Rimmel or Physicians Formula bronzer/blush)
    Lip Balm (I like cocoa butter lip balms)
    Lipstick and Liner (I use Revlon for both but I want some MAC lip liners)

Oh, forgot hair:
    Scrunch clean wet hair with a towel after shampooing with It's a 10 Silk shampoo and Fekkai or Frizz-Ease conditioner, wait until it dries a little (still somewhat wet or damp) then put Bedhead curl cream in it and Frizz-Ease mousse scrunch it all in, pull in a high bun and sleep with it like that. Wake up and scrunch some gel or more mousse into the hair and put Argan oil on the ends and sometimes everywhere. Straighten bangs.

For nighttime skin-care, I have eye cream and some Korean snail cream (supposed to rejuvenate skin) but I often forget to use them, and I usually put on acne cream as well. I wash my face with Burt's Bees sensitive facial cleanser.

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Oh, for my skin & hair -

Night routine:
    - cleanse off makeup with baby oil (which is basically fragranced mineral oil)
    - cleanse skin with cerave foaming facial cleanser
    - tone skin with witch hazel
    - add benzoyl peroxide to any pimples or areas that I break out
    - Paulas choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment (this stuff is amazing) - or - cerave night renewal cream

Day routine:
    - lightly cleanse with cerave cleanser
    - tone with witch hazel
    - add benzoyl peroxide gel to areas that I break out
    - biore watery essence spf 50

I have super oily skin so I don't need a whole lot of moisturizer. I like to skip that step during the day...

Hair:
    - I'll sleep with coconut oil in my hair or let it sit in my hair for a few hours while I play videogames
    - shampoo with sulfate free shampoo only. I have several different ones right now.
    - ring out all the water from my hair then put in conditioner and let it sit for a few minutes
    - dump a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse all over my scalp and hair. Rinse it out with cold water.
    - towel dry then add heat protecting cream or spray. Right now I use Color Proof heat proof anti frizz blow-dry cream.
    - brush and blow-dry
    - add a tiny bit coconut oil to my ends every day (my ends are damaged from being bleached so much)

I don't wash my hair a lot, I only wash it twice a week. I have an oily scalp, so when it starts to get oily I'll add dry shampoo (I just use baby powder bc I'm cheap) to my roots before bed. I'll sleep with it rolled up in a clip to protect it from getting messy and that adds pretty waves the next day. Since I've been taking care of it better it's gotten really strong and healthy... despite the fact that I bleach and dye it so much (oops).
    Last edited by fox; 11-24-2015 at 09:05 PM.

TIM
    sx/sp
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Oh, for my skin & hair -

Night routine:
    - cleanse off makeup with baby oil (which is basically fragranced mineral oil)
    I use baby oil too
    - cleanse skin with cerave foaming facial cleanser
    Just ran out of this one, shows how much we love it
    - tone skin with witch hazel
    Love witch hazel in all of its incantations

- biore watery essence spf 50
    I want to try this one, think I had the Sofina milky UV one (or whatever its called) and was always impressed @ how light it was..

I have super oily skin so I don't need a whole lot of moisturizer. I like to skip that step during the day...
    My skin is super sensitive and turns red and inflamed at the drop of a hat so I'm always reapplying Cerave in the pump bottle whenever I can..

Reading your blurb about hair just makes me miss long hair...but at the same time I wanna get a mohawk or something. But my parents always start and sigh and make fun and call me a boy when my hair is really short....sigh

TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Same

TIM
    NF
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

foundation + corrector + powder + cheek colour + mascara + eyeliner + red lipstick

For cosmetics I can't use most of the creams from drugstores, because I am allergic to most of them. After all, I am too lazy to actually really take care of my skin, so I rarely use them anyway.
    I have Toleriane Ultra Fluide from La Roche-Posay as for my face cream and I use Lipobase cream I have from my dermatologist when my skin gets very dry.

For my hair I use schauma shampoo for dyed hair and Silver balm for bleached hair to get rid of the yellow colour. I also use Gliss Kur oil treatment for dyed hair. Sometimes when I am not in a hurry I apply olive oil in my hair.
    I usually use the hair iron to make my hair look smoother, though I straighten it far less than I used to.
    INFP
    4w3-5w6-1w9
    Hyper introverted extrovert
    Melancholic

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Same

LOL

My routine is basically the same everyday. Acne.org treatment gel > moisturizer > Smashbox 15 Hour Foundation > Powder > MAC Blush >Bronzer > Smashbox All Nighter makeup setting spray > Mac Blacktrack eyeliner with a cat eye and then mascara.

Even though it looks like a lot of makeup, I almost always end up looking like I'm not wearing anything, especially if I don't do the cat eye. I guess that's good but sometimes I wonder how women look so good with it on, sometimes you want some makeup to show, ya know?

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laughed so hard at the beauty guru video.

TIM
    sx/sp
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess I haven't posted my routine, so here it is if anyone is interested lol

Night:
    -Remove makeup /w African Black Soap (sometimes a double cleanse here, I like to get all my makeup off but I have for example a certain mascara that's really stubborn..and Revlon Colorstay adheres like a bitch as well) (Sometimes I'll use baby oil instead, but I prefer the black soap, here's my review of it awhile back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc4w2--It9g)
    -Cleanse with something gentle like Cerave Foaming Cleanser (it's PH balanced and I feel that helps as well after the black soap), I just ran out so am looking to get a gentle creamy cleanser like Cetaphil
    -Apply witch hazel on my face and armpits (still love da Rose Petal brand)
    -Wait till that dries, usually brush my teeth at this interval
    -I always apply Cerave in the pump bottle at this point, its ultra light and oil free yet hydrating, and my skin is so sensitive these days after taking Accutane that it needs the extra hydration
    -At this point if my skin is feeling overstimulated I'll stop - the african black soap tends to be a bit stripping so I only use it to take off makeup - it depends on if I need the exfoliation, so if I do, I'll use Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12% Glycolic Acid, or Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ. The acid tends to burn my skin if I add too large of an amount and I'll always put a layer of moisture to act as a buffer

Morning:
    -Wash face w/ a gentle cleanser
    -Witch Hazel
    -Cerave pump bottle
    -Sunscreen (I like a Shisiedo selection at the moment but its discontinued so will be looking at the Biore product re Starfall's recommendation)
    -Primer (depends how committed I am, usually the sunscreen works just fine as a primer)
    -Makeup (continued)

Makeup:
    -These days I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin enhancer which is a BB cream, I like using it as a primer for powder, it really makes the powder adhere well and gives you an extra layer of flawlessness, my skin problems show through the powder otherwise
    -I have a few different powders, one is Meow Cosmetics in a lighter formula, the other is more opaque and doubles as a concealer, I also have NYX as a cheap mattifier and I want to get this Rimmel Stay Matte Powder because I've had it before and its really buttery and the yellow tones help conceal, I use a flat top brush to apply the powder
    -Blush in a cheap WetnWild color, Pearlescent Pink (I have mostly Ecotools brushes)
    -Eyebrows (powder or Anastasia pencil)
    -Eye makeup (I usually don't mess w/ eyeliner unless its a special occasion, I'll just do some dark purple in the crease, then go back in with the Meow Flawless Feline for a buttery white/yellow color for the lid)
    -Brown mascara
    -Lipstick (I have a bunch of diff colors)