Thread: Socionics and Holland's Career Code

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics and Holland's Career Code

Hello,

I remember reading somewhere that the inventor of socionics tried to improve her theory by studying the MBTI. This is a fine idea, but I wish she were still alive, because I could suggest an even better theory to study: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_Codes. Actually, it's not exactly the codes themselves that are good, but a book based on them - "CareerCode": http://www.amazon.com/CareerCode-Kno...ds=Career+Code. Why do I say this? First, when I opened the book, what did I see: a huge overlap with socionics. Take, for instance, the names of the types. Off the top of my head, here are some types that have not just similar, but exactly the same names:

- "Inspector"
    - "Critic"
    - "Director"
    - "Ambassador"
    - "Analyst"
    - "Idealist"
    - etc.

On top of this, if you read the descriptions, the information elements jump off the page - would it surprise you, for instance, that the "Analyst" is precise? (Which I am not, by the way - "Scholar"...) Further, even the other types that don't share exact names have similar names and descriptions (e.g., "Innovator" or "Sergeant" (i.e., "Inventor" and "Commander")). What does this mean? The fact that both theories share such similarities would be a sign that both are onto something - otherwise, why would the types they are describing be so close? (Are they both completely wrong?!)

Anyway, what did I learn from this book? First, have you noticed that there seem to be more than two logical functions? For instance, why are some "Ti-egos" scientific, while others are precise? Or some Te-egos precise instead, and some enterprising? The answer the book gives is that there are three logical functions: 1) "Investigative" - logical/scientific, 2) "Conventional" - i.e., precise, and 3) "Enterprising" - close to traditional notions of business logic. Therefore, this answered several questions I personally had about socionics. For instance, why am I "Ti", and yet not precise at all?.. On the other hand, if I'm not Ti, why do I show no interest in or talent for business? This book made it clear that precision, business skill, and logical aptitude are three different traits (sometimes they go together, but not all the time...)

Now, it's clear that the book is good, and I strongly recommend it for both expanding your understanding of personality and searching for a career (as career is the main focus of the book...). However, there are some gaps in it that socionics does a better job with. For instance, socionics has two emotional functions, while CareerCode only has one - "Social". Also, the sensing and intuitive traits seem to be left by the wayside. In any event, if you want to enrich your understanding of socionics, I strongly suggest reading this book (or, in the very least, studying Holland's Career Code...)

Jason

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downloaded the book.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm primarily an investigative type with some social, artistic, and conventional.

One of the Holland tests (don't remember which one) gave me ISA.

I'm a librarian by profession and it's said to be a career with Investigative, Social and Conventional. So it matches up with me pretty well. Occasionally, there's some artistic in there too- making signs and creative activities for the kids.

I love to explore new ideas and investigate and research topics of interest to me. Little surprise that investigative is on the top.

I often find myself attracted to careers where I can positively impact and help other people but yet I find them exhausting if I have too much interaction with others or if I have to spread myself too thin with others rather than more individualized 1-on-1 help.

I like jobs where I can be creative but I'm not really that creative in the artistic sense.

I like to organize ideas and data like conventional but I'm not into rigid procedures and I like to do things my own way.

Enterprising is pretty low for me. I'm not particularly interested in managing or climbing the career ladder.

Realistic is on the bottom. I tend to dislike more physically oriented jobs. I suck at working with my hands and fixing things.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

So AEI/AES - LIE/ENTj.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IAR. Seems like I would enjoy the listed careers.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

wheres the link for the test you guys took? whatever, i took a test here: http://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip

artistic 24
    conventional 22
    investigative 18
    social 17
    enterprising 15
    realistic 13

so ACI?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Took the test that @lungs shared.

Realistic 10
    Investigative 25
    Artistic 18
    Social 26
    Enterprising 20
    Conventional 14

I guess this makes me "SIE"?

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    wheres the link for the test you guys took?
    http://personality-testing.info/tests/RIASEC/

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That test gave me SAI, but I've usually been considered ASI or ASE.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careers for your Holland Code
    The United States Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration maintains a database of occupations sorted by Holland Code. The list of occupations for the IAC can be found at http://www.onetonline.org/explore/in.../Conventional/

i don't think i like the IAC jobs. i know i don't edit long documents well. i don't even notice half the errors. it's like an exercise in blindness, only the problem is my mind rather than my eyes. although i've been having to be in these "conventional" jobs for a while now and have developed ways of "getting through it" and prefer the tedium to interacting with or managing people. but this doesn't change that it's a soul-killing nightmare.

in any case, i know investigative and artistic are my strong areas. it's just difficult (i think) when these are your top two (while none of the others are really very good) to solve the career puzzle. i think maybe i need to pick one for my 3rd and try to cultivate whatever it is. the first two are "natural talents" while the rest is more "have to work on it."

it's annoying too because investigative and artistic often seem to cancel each other out.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Realistic 14
    Investigative 32
    Artistic 19
    Social 30
    Enterprising 19
    Conventional 21
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right.

Mine is A/S I C/E R. I guess some things do not change. So much about my Se lol. In fact Se things such as fixing things etc annoy me greatly. Unless I am doing it for someone else, but still there are other things I'd prefer to be doing. I like to help people and feeling needed is like an opium .

Edit: Those are actually TiSe drab chores, are they not?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image.jpg
    SIA
    The jobs look about right.

The other test gave me SAI:
    Realistic 16
    Investigative 19
    Artistic 26
    Social 28
    Enterprising 4
    Conventional 16
    Similar jobs.

Social:
    People with Social interests like working with others to help them learn and grow. They like working with people more than working with objects, machines, or information.
    They like:
    Teaching
    Giving advice
    Helping and being of service to people

Artistic:
    People with Artistic interests like work that deals with the artistic side of things, such as acting, music, art, and design.
    They like:
    Creativity in their work
    Work that can be done without following a set of rules

Investigative:
    People with Investigative interests like work that has to do with ideas and thinking rather than physical activity or leading people.
    They like:
    Searching for facts
    Figuring out problems
    Last edited by anndelise; 11-24-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asi apparently, think the jobs aren't bad advice

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a copy of the official test, I remember getting investigative, social, and something else.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downloaded the book. Of course I'd be Investigative-Artistic. The one where they give the least amount of advice. I will NOT be a museum director.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got RCI

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Downloaded the book. Of course I'd be Investigative-Artistic. The one where they give the least amount of advice. I will NOT be a museum director.
    I have the same combination, and noticed the same thing. In fact, I'm really struggling with the concept of career. However, I suggest you look at the careers for other types that are IX or AX (leading Investigative or Artistic). I've found some interesting careers doing that. Also, (EDIT) find a career is supposed to be hard for people with an 'A' in their code, but this book has suggestions: http://www.amazon.com/Career-Creativ...nconventional/.
    Last edited by jason_m; 12-08-2015 at 07:07 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I have the same combination, and noticed the same thing. In fact, I'm really struggling with the concept of career. However, I suggest you look at the careers for other types that are IX or AX (leading Investigative or Artistic). I've found some interesting careers doing that. Also, (EDIT) find a career is supposed to be hard for people with an 'A' in their code, but this book has suggestions: http://www.amazon.com/Career-Creativ...nconventional/.
    Ok, cool. I'll definitely look at that. I will take help on this stuff anyway I can get it. I'm struggling with the idea of what I want to do too. So yeah, I can relate.