Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Properly fitting yourself for a bra.

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Properly fitting yourself for a bra.

This just blew my mind. Not gonna lie, I stayed to see her boobs in a bra, but now I wanna go fit myself. Has anyone else been successfully fitted for a bra before?
    Last edited by Emmym; 11-16-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

no, and i really should. i keep putting it off. i know i'm wearing the wrong size.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I can't listen to 15 minutes of this person when the first thing they say is "you're wearing the wrong size bra." No I'm not and you're an ass for assuming that (not you personally). It's really not that hard unless they don't have your size or something. Try going down a band size or two and up a cup size or two if your current bra isn't fitting. You want something where your bewbs aren't spilling out absurdly, you want the cup to cup your breasts adequately. You want zero wires or pokey shit if you're me (who wants to wear itchy lingerie) and never put them in the dryer. If you know the generalities of your size, you can narrow it down. And get your bras at Victoria's Secret (unless you're not a mainstream size) because they're really well made and the slightly more expensive ones are the most comfortable and no horrible pokey shit.

I love Victoria's Secret bras. I was a little weirded out the first time I went into their store, with my sister, and they actually fitted me, I had been buying the size that one of my friends had fitted me as forever (34 c). Almost everyone I know was wearing that size and it was usually sold out in local stores. At Victoria's Secret they told me to go down a band and up a cup. I was skeptical, and didn't want to, because I thought it was going to be so huge on me.I felt embarrassed to try that size but it actually fit so much better. I would never have thought to try that cup size on my own. Now I buy the right size from their online store. I have other brands but rarely wear them and some brands of 34 c still fit fine but when I wear them I feel like I am secretly wearing the wrong size (no pun intended). I never handwash but I use a lingerie bra bag on gentle cycle and I always dry them by reshaping the cups and laying them on a towel. Some I will hang but never in the dryer. Most store bras would fall apart starting with the underwire, even with precautions, but their bras seem to last forever. I tell some people (not my friends) I wear a C when asked. I don't know why I get so freaked out about it. :/ I even spoiler this because I know a lot of people skip spoilers. hahah

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

does victorias secret size you for free? this thread keeps weighing on my mind because i pass by there everyday. but i'm nervous about being roped into spending a bunch of money.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    does victorias secret size you for free? this thread keeps weighing on my mind because i pass by there everyday. but i'm nervous about being roped into spending a bunch of money.
    It was free. I ended up spending a lot of money when they fit me but I was expecting to since my sister told me to bring a credit card. I think you could research the style you are interested in on the website to get the prices and style ideas. Then when you get there tell them you know exactly what you want but you need to be fitted. I am not sure about their other stores but the ones near me are priced pretty much the same as the website. I am a sucker for a sales pitch sometimes so I have even called stores beforehand to ask the price and to see if it is in stock. That way my mind is set before I get there and I cut their sales pitch off before it starts by saying I know what I want and don't have much time.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyan View Post
    It was free. I ended up spending a lot of money when they fit me but I was expecting to since my sister told me to bring a credit card. I think you could research the style you are interested in on the website to get the prices and style ideas. Then when you get there tell them you know exactly what you want but you need to be fitted. I am not sure about their other stores but the ones near me are priced pretty much the same as the website. I am a sucker for a sales pitch sometimes so I have even called stores beforehand to ask the price and to see if it is in stock. That way my mind is set before I get there and I cut their sales pitch off before it starts by saying I know what I want and don't have much time.
    this is really helpful, thank you!

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can't listen to 15 minutes of this person when the first thing they say is "you're wearing the wrong size bra." No I'm not and you're an ass for assuming that (not you personally). It's really not that hard unless they don't have your size or something. Try going down a band size or two and up a cup size or two if your current bra isn't fitting. You want something where your bewbs aren't spilling out absurdly, you want the cup to cup your breasts adequately. You want zero wires or pokey shit if you're me (who wants to wear itchy lingerie) and never put them in the dryer. If you know the generalities of your size, you can narrow it down. And get your bras at Victoria's Secret (unless you're not a mainstream size) because they're really well made and the slightly more expensive ones are the most comfortable and no horrible pokey shit.
    I think the point she was making is that if you've been fitted for a bra, you're most likely wearing an incorrect size because many places don't size women accurately. This wouldn't surprise me at all--it's the same as getting a makeover at Sephora, where the make up artists aren't required to have any make-up training, just to "like" make-up.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emmym View Post
    I think the point she was making is that if you've been fitted for a bra, you're most likely wearing an incorrect size because many places don't size women accurately. This wouldn't surprise me at all--it's the same as getting a makeover at Sephora, where the make up artists aren't required to have any make-up training, just to "like" make-up.
    Every time I tried to get a makeover, I was looking like a clown.
    For the rest, we don't have VS here, but my size depends on brands so I can't buy a bra with closed eyes... even within the same brand (I love Princess Tam.Tam for instance).

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kore View Post
    Every time I tried to get a makeover, I was looking like a clown.
    Get one at MAC. There, the artists have to have a certain amount of experience or schooling. I know this because one of my good friends is a makeup artist and I follow /r/makeupaddiction, lol. Used to follow religiously, now I own enough makeup so I don't feel compelled to, since it'll make me want to shop.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emmym View Post
    Get one at MAC. There, the artists have to have a certain amount of experience or schooling. I know this because one of my good friends is a makeup artist and I follow /r/makeupaddiction, lol. Used to follow religiously, now I own enough makeup so I don't feel compelled to, since it'll make me want to shop.
    Tried that one too (there was time in my life when I was buying a lot of limited edition products from them). Too artsy for me. I like timeless looks which mostly do not go well with their concepts. Usually I am better than any of those boutiquecraftartists.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know that I don't wear the right size bra, but the right size is a "specialty" size that involves lots of trial and error through companies like Brastop. I got tired of it and wanted to just walk into VS for a cute bra.

There's a subreddit devoted to this topic for those interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes at Victoria Secret. However no one makes my size 32C or D .I have to wear 34B but it's loose .
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Victoria's Secret properly sizes you, great, but I wouldn't assume that the expertise is up to snuff. Also, their bras are not all that great imo. There are a lot of people out there who discuss the problems with Victoria's Secret. You can read online posts from bra fitting experts to understand the basics, measure yourself, and go into the fitting room with an understanding of how your bra should fit to make sure that your fit was determined correctly.

@Maritsa, I also wear a 32C (or 32D) and I find a lot of bras in that size on Amazon.com. 34B isn't right, though, like you, I can technically wear it -- the band rides up.
    Last edited by golden; 11-16-2015 at 11:12 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I think it's D. I wear a sports bra a lot because then they don't show and move lol. I also am stoopish and don't often walk upright with good posture so they don't show. I'll look into Amazon.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I think it's D. I wear a sports bra a lot because then they don't show and move lol. I also am stoopish and don't often walk upright with good posture so they don't show. I'll look into Amazon.
    It's tricky ordering online, but at least there *are* some bras in these sizes there. I think a D fits me better too, but of course there's some variation among these manufacturers. The Maidenform 32D works very well for me -- it's perfect. The Calvin Klein 32 band is just a little bit snug but the D cups fit.

This one is pretty -- so I ordered it just now and will see how it works.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where in that article does it say there are problems with the Victoria's Secret quality of the product? I couldn't find any, I could only find dissatisfaction with their service, so please point to where the disputes of quality are.

If size is the issue, I covered that in my post.
    I'm not going to spend a long time right now looking it up, but I've read more than one article about quality issues. If my posts are somehow not up to your standards, too fucking bad.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Why argue about it? It's mostly made in China
    -

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I said had nothing to do with you - so kindly refrain from your judgmental attitude about my post or fuck off me.
    Here: http://frysauceandgrits.com/2014/08/...cret-bras.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retai...ia_secret.html

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm just not seeing a ton of consensus on the quality of the bra, and since you're suggesting do-it-yourself ness, I think it would be alright to just skip their people and size them yourself, and I'm talking the specific demi bras that are soft, not some of the cheap t-shirt bras, or the brand as a whole, I can't speak for that, or for size concerns, which I hope I clarified before. Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just share my experience and was a bit annoyed with the original vid. I'll go away now..
    No worries. Over the years I've gone into VS with moderate hopes and been very displeased with the bras. They never fit me right, they never feel good, they feel like fifteen-dollar bras to me. I wondered, when a VS opened near me recently, if it would be any better, and it was worse. I have never tried on such a poorly thought-out bra, it was crazy how bad it was. I was also put out with the brand image, the loud music, the pukey smells. So after this bad experience, in which I simply could not manage to buy a bra, to find a buyable bra, in a storeful of bras, I came home and I googled around and did some reading, and got better information at that time than I'm going to get today.

I think with DIY and trial-and-error you can get into a bra that fits properly. There are good people in my area who do serious measurements, but I came to the right conclusions about bra fit before I found the time to go to any of them.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my chest is basically nonexistent but it makes buying bras easy

i guess if you actually need support it's a much more important thing...

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    my chest is basically nonexistent but it makes buying bras easy

i guess if you actually need support it's a much more important thing...
    Come and give me a hug... Finally I am not alone in the middle of all those over bewbed ladies..

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

She has nice jugs. Bras should also be easily removable.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wearing the right size, and know how to fit myself, but different bras do fit differently, and size varies slightly throughout month, so my bras are in several sizes. All either 30F/FF, or 32 DD/DDD, which is smaller than it sounds. I buy online.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kore View Post
    Come and give me a hug... Finally I am not alone in the middle of all those over bewbed ladies..
    itty bitty titty committee represent

A lot of bras I like seem to start at a B cup so I stopped bothering with that stuff and spend the extra money on fancy pants instead.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^this woman. Amen.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Lmao
    -

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VS sucks at sizing do not go there for sizing. Also they do not offer a lot of bra sizes and most of their bras are ridiculously padded. Tip: you should probably be wearing a band size or two smaller and cup sizes higher than you are wearing. However mainstream brands aren't necessarily going to carry your real size, ex. you are a petite girl and you think you are a 34B. Turns out you are a 30D. You can really only find that size online. I'm a 32E but I was wearing a 34DD and the bands ride up and tend to be too big. Luckily I can find 32E in a lot of bra stores but cute cheap bras are out of the limits for me

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everytime I get a makeover at a makeup salon, I end up looking like a hooker. BUT ANYWAY...

I can't believe that girl ended up being an F. If she's an F, I have to be like a K or something. Even after getting implants, I still have little boob mentality. I still think i have little ones when I clearly don't so I end up still buying C's and it's just a big mess because there's bunching and squeezing and all that. I finally gave up on normal bras and just wear sports bras everyday because it's like being wrapped in a cloud. I suppose I should try a bigger cup.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I wear a 32D and sometimes 34D, depending on the day of the month. I can fit into some 34C. I tried the ABTF app and I am a bit confused by the suggestions. I shared this with @Lily because honestly I was a little bit embarrassed at the suggestions but now I see I am not the only one, I don't feel so bad. I just know that I try them on and if they fit, I buy them. Then I buy that size and style online.

I have a small frame so I probably look bigger than I am.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-20-47-36.jpg

The couple times someone took me to have my makeup done professionally I looked like a hooker clown when they were done with me. I ended up wiping half off in the car.

Edit: I measured 30 on the band size.
    Last edited by Aylen; 11-19-2015 at 08:56 PM.

YWIMW

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't fit bras to save my life; I always end up with too-wide wires and too-shallow cups. My current compromise cost me $84, and after six months, it's on the tightest hook already. (;_; )

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    VS sucks at sizing do not go there for sizing. Also they do not offer a lot of bra sizes and most of their bras are ridiculously padded. Tip: you should probably be wearing a band size or two smaller and cup sizes higher than you are wearing. However mainstream brands aren't necessarily going to carry your real size, ex. you are a petite girl and you think you are a 34B. Turns out you are a 30D. You can really only find that size online. I'm a 32E but I was wearing a 34DD and the bands ride up and tend to be too big. Luckily I can find 32E in a lot of bra stores but cute cheap bras are out of the limits for me
    Have you tried Ebay, Amazon, or Bratabase? You can find some really cute bras there without paying an arm and a leg for them.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly McFluffles View Post
    I can't fit bras to save my life; I always end up with too-wide wires and too-shallow cups. My current compromise cost me $84, and after six months, it's on the tightest hook already. (;_; )

Have you tried Ebay, Amazon, or Bratabase? You can find some really cute bras there without paying an arm and a leg for them.
    I just don't trust Ebay for bras lol, Amazon hmm I mostly only buy a few types of things there and I've never heard of Bratabase but I may try it thanks! I think part of what makes it hard for me is I mostly prefer to buy sports bras because they minimize everything and they tend to be expensive :/

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

this thread needs pictures

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else despise bra shopping? IDK. I've never liked the way I look in underwear and especially now since I've gained about 10 lbs in the last year...so maybe that's why I'm so opposed to it and that's why I just get plain sports bras. Even if I do find a pretty bra, I feel like it will almost always be uncomfortable and I won't want to be seen half naked anyway so what's the point getting it.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    I just don't trust Ebay for bras lol, Amazon hmm I mostly only buy a few types of things there and I've never heard of Bratabase but I may try it thanks! I think part of what makes it hard for me is I mostly prefer to buy sports bras because they minimize everything and they tend to be expensive :/
    You don't tend to get returns with Ebay, so it's much trickier for bras. Amazon's particularly good if you shell out for Prime; you get 2-day shipping and free returns on a number of bras. I've not tried Bratabase yet, but people actually list the bra's measurements on there, which you can compare to your own.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually thinking of posting something very similar... I feel like finding the right size bra is just a matter of trial and error, but I could be wrong. (I do prefer underwires, but i know that IS just me )
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Everytime I get a makeover at a makeup salon, I end up looking like a hooker. BUT ANYWAY...

I can't believe that girl ended up being an F. If she's an F, I have to be like a K or something. Even after getting implants, I still have little boob mentality. I still think i have little ones when I clearly don't so I end up still buying C's and it's just a big mess because there's bunching and squeezing and all that. I finally gave up on normal bras and just wear sports bras everyday because it's like being wrapped in a cloud. I suppose I should try a bigger cup.
    Jessica u have a great sense of humor

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I was actually thinking of posting something very similar... I feel like finding the right size bra is just a matter of trial and error, but I could be wrong. (I do prefer underwires, but i know that IS just me )
    I like the look of underwire but I wear a sports minimizing bra for exercising. It starts to hurt otherwise.

YWIMW

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyan View Post
    I like the look of underwire but I wear a sports minimizing bra for exercising. It starts to hurt otherwise.
    i totally know what you mean, i do too... underwire bras still dont prevent mega-bounce when doing something like running or jumping and if doing 30 min to 1 hours' worth, you feel it!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when I had B's and when I wore a sports bra, my boobs would basically disappear. I looked like I had a little boys chest. Now when I wear them, they still look like D's, I can't even run without them flopping around everywhere, causing a scene. I have to wear a really big t-shirt just to minimized the graphicness. I kind of love it though, I love having big boobs it's so funnnn

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbane View Post
    If Victoria's Secret properly sizes you, great, but I wouldn't assume that the expertise is up to snuff. Also, their bras are not all that great imo. There are a lot of people out there who discuss the problems with Victoria's Secret. You can read online posts from bra fitting experts to understand the basics, measure yourself, and go into the fitting room with an understanding of how your bra should fit to make sure that your fit was determined correctly.

@Maritsa, I also wear a 32C (or 32D) and I find a lot of bras in that size on Amazon.com. 34B isn't right, though, like you, I can technically wear it -- the band rides up.
    I had myself fitted for one and it's 32D. Victoria secret now carries 32D and I just purchased one. So comfortable. I used to wear 34B for the extra room but that was very uncomfortable
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast