Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leaky Sensory Filters!

This is seriously my problem. Dh has gotten used to it! I keep ear plugs on each floor, so I know I can protect my peace when the need arises. And I HATE fluorescent lights. Hate them.

http://news.yahoo.com/between-leaky-...080000422.html

Now I have a wonderful excuse. I could be a genius!

I am a creative thinker, no doubt, and this goes with that, anyway.

Who else has this issue?
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'll mark this so that I can read it
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I have photosensitive epilepsy, so light has always been a problem with me. Even though I supposedly have PSE, unwelcome sounds, temperature, ...pressure etc. seems to have an effect also (my doctor didn't seem to consider this important when I pointed it out to him): it's bad because I've had other condition/s for most of life that I had assumed were to do with the epilepsy, but later turned out not to be.

Unwelcome sounds from distant motorways & main roads, and from computers, and from neighbours and/or lager louts is certainly an issue to me. By it's nature, it's generally constant background noise, and makes my inner state feel cheapened and polluted. So yes, not nice.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Flourescent lights don't bother me but certain random sounds can drive me off the wall. People coughing, sniffling, clearing their throat, even tapping their pencil. With certain bodily things like coughing, I know they can't help it, it's an involuntary body reaction but I still find it distracting and breaking my concentration. I wear earplugs every night when I go to bed. I'm not married but if I was, my husband and I would probably need to sleep in separate rooms because if someone else is snoring, I can't sleep.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I have photosensitive epilepsy, so light has always been a problem with me. Even though I supposedly have PSE, unwelcome sounds, temperature, ...pressure etc. seems to have an effect also (my doctor didn't seem to consider this important when I pointed it out to him): it's bad because I've had other condition/s for most of life that I had assumed were to do with the epilepsy, but later turned out not to be.

Unwelcome sounds from distant motorways & main roads, and from computers, and from neighbours and/or lager louts is certainly an issue to me. By it's nature, it's generally constant background noise, and makes my inner state feel cheapened and polluted. So yes, not nice.
    Funny so does my bf

I don't have any particular sensitivity. I just get tired easily
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This thread reminds me of the HSP thread.

Now I have a wonderful excuse. I could be a genius!
    http://myscienceacademy.org/2015/11/...have-more-sex/

I have always been a night person. I won't comment on the rest.

Correlation does not imply causation. This does not mean that staying up late, doing drugs, and experimenting with sex toys makes you more intelligent. But it seems to be the case that people who naturally have a higher degree of intelligence partake in these activities naturally because they are drawn to them. Maybe it is because of their openmindedness, their desire to expand their mind and their experience, or a biological urge to experiment with something novel.

Chances are, a lot of people reading this tend to stay up late and indulge in life’s pleasures. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and it may even be a natural consequence of having an above average IQ. These three studies completely shatter everything we would expect to be true about people of high intelligence. It seems to be the intellectuals that are having the most fun. I think it’s time we let go of old stereotypes

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i definitely relate to this. noise and interruptions are the bane of my existence. i don't know if fluorescent lights bother me... it can get annoying when they strobe. what's more annoying though is ten people in a row commenting on the blinking light. it's like fuck i know i'm sitting right here, please just go away.

i'm thinking of work for most of this. but the persistent noisy thing that can happen when i'm alone at home without all the interruptions is the leaf blower. gradually i'll become aware that it's hard to think, which i usually just respond to by intensifying my thinking/focus. but then i start becoming aware of how not only is there some sort of outside interference but i'm feeling increasingly irritated. that's usually when i register that a) there's an awful noise and b) it's once again a fucking leaf blower (or other annoying landscaping machinery - i call them all leaf blowers), at which point i may yell "ugh, do you fucking mind?!" in the general direction of the window to vent some of my annoyance. head phones solve it after that.

there are a lot of traffic noises outside and when I first moved in it was like a roaring ocean sometimes, but i don't really notice it much anymore. i just have this feeling instead that this place has "bad energy" as there's just this mentally muddled feel in the very back of my mind when i'm here. or it feels somehow like something is muddled. it doesn't facilitate clarity.

i don't think the traffic noise is the sole contributor to the "bad energy" vibe. there really is just something wrong with this place. i don't feel like it's impacting me directly though?
    Last edited by marooned; 11-25-2015 at 01:25 AM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to take silent retreats at an Trappist Abbey. You would like it. You might want to try one some time.

These are some:
    http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/
    http://www.mountsaintbernard.org/9.html
    www.nunraw.org.uk/

(The other name is Cistercian). Its very peaceful, and you don't have to be Catholic, or even Christian. No one will try to convert you. Because sometimes, you just need peace, and these re wonderful places for peaceful retreats.

I have not heard of the term photosensitive epilepsy, however, I met a Mom who told me her son's epilepsy was brought on by her turning on the light in his room while he was sleeping. She felt very bad about that, and seemed a little traumatized just telling me. I had never heard of such a happening.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I used to take silent retreats at an Trappist Abbey. You would like it. You might want to try one some time.

These are some:
    http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/
    http://www.mountsaintbernard.org/9.html
    www.nunraw.org.uk/

(The other name is Cistercian). Its very peaceful, and you don't have to be Catholic, or even Christian. No one will try to convert you. Because sometimes, you just need peace, and these re wonderful places for peaceful retreats.
    That looks like a good idea for the future. It would at the very least get me out into the country, and possibly at some building of historical interest.

I have not heard of the term photosensitive epilepsy, however, I met a Mom who told me her son's epilepsy was brought on by her turning on the light in his room while he was sleeping. She felt very bad about that, and seemed a little traumatized just telling me. I had never heard of such a happening.
    PSE is probably what most people imagine epilepsy being like (being caused by flashing lights): I certainly don't think I realised when I was diagnosed that it makes up a minority of epilepsy cases. it typically seems to be attributed to historical religious figures, e.g. Paul, Muhammad, Joan of Arc (basically anyone who had 'visions', and often in conjunction with diagnoses of some mental illness or other).

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSE is probably what most people imagine epilepsy being like (being caused by flashing lights): I certainly don't think I realised when I was diagnosed that it makes up a minority of epilepsy cases. it typically seems to be attributed to historical religious figures, e.g. Paul, Muhammad, Joan of Arc (basically anyone who had 'visions', and often in conjunction with diagnoses of some mental illness or other).
    Well you are in interesting company!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Well you are in interesting company!
    Perhaps...such appropriations are highly contentious, and I'd rather choose to be in a group of interesting people rather than be associated by some form of deficiency

I wonder if the software (which is free!) mentioned in this article would be of use/interest to you (in regards the OP)?: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34744859