Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lettuce

Let us speak of lettuce. I have been eating mixed baby greens or chopped baby romaine so long for salads. I wash them by soaking them in water 2x and then spinning them dry.

Recently I missed crunchy iceburg, so long pushed to the side because of its minimal nutritional content, and have been eating iceberg a couple weeks. I have been slicing of chunks and breaking them up into a salad bowl. I am normally fastidious about cleaning lettuce, but, i noticed restaurants serve iceberg wedges all the time, and so i assume there is not need to clean so thoroughly because when growing the bugs cannot get in. So I take the outer leaves off, and chop up for my salad.

Am I making a wrong assumption here?
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I like iceberg with microgreens I get the ones from trader Joe's. Triple washed and ready to eat. As long as bad things aren't in soil like flat worms, lead, pesticides, and salmonella lettuce doesn't need to be washed a trillion times and bugs are or can be protein

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I like iceberg with microgreens I get the ones from trader Joe's. Triple washed and ready to eat. As long as bad things aren't in soil like flat worms, lead, pesticides, and salmonella lettuce doesn't need to be washed a trillion times and bugs are or can be protein
    I would think so. But once a woman told me her husband had tapeworm or some awful worm from lettuce SHE did not wash. She felt so guilty for his ordeal. So I started with the thorough-washing thing, and that was long ago. So I rinse the leaves individually quickly before I cut them, then cut and they sit soaking in water (I use the basket that fits in the bowl of my spinner); I pick up the basket and dump and refill with new water for a 2nd sit, then dump the water and spin it. Clean lettuce. That probably seems a lot, but I just do it and accept that's what I go through for lettuce. And don't forget cleaning up all the bits of lettuce mess and water mess over a large swath of counter, too. And also I clean the salad spinner right afterward ... but the reward is clean, fresh-tasting lettuce, and its "dry", to hold the dressing...

I do this because with the triple-washed bagged greens I can always taste the potato-white extender they wash them in to keep them from wilting. When I get a bag of those, I go to the trouble to soak and rinse and soak and rinse and dry them, to get that taste out. So generally it makes more sense to buy heads of romaine and/or fill a bag with loose baby greens which haven't been processed like that.

Now I am getting curious as I write this, because I don't hear anyone else complain about this. When I worked in a restaurant long ago we soaked the lettuce in a sink full of water with "potato white" (what they called it) and that kept cut lettuce looking fresh-cut all day (and the next and next?) instead of the edges turning brown. So I know that taste, and I taste it in the bagged lettuce; that's why I call it the "potato white taste".

I'm looking for an article but didn't find anything informative except for some of the comments here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...agged-lettuces

I sure miss Trader Joe's here. We had one close back in NYS, and I shopped there regularly, but now its a whole 45 min. away ... which is too decadent of gas and time to drive for groceries... so, I think twice annually is okay, so that's what I do. I am actually due for a trip but I can't drive with my ankle, and anyway we are trimming the budget to save money. But last time I went I bought Quince Paste which we liked - a nice addition to our wine and cheese sit-downs, and at that time I also discovered their uncured bacon packaged in a lump of "ends and pieces" so it was a GREAT price for uncured bacon - the healthy way to eat bacon - so I will stock up on that next time. And the cheeses, what a great, interesting selection at great prices. I like these little tiny soy rice crackers I get there too. I like the sound they make in a bowl. Also great prices on organic butter, organic sour cream, kefir, and free-range eggs. (Though I have a farm close by here for that so I don't by them from Trader Joes any more). Oh! And their green salsa! I stock up on a LOT of that every time. Also their organic yellow corn tortilla chips my husband loves. Fun stuff for special-occasion easy treats are in the frozen section, like super-thin crust pizzas, and a spinach-kale pie (I love this, and my son when he visits and also Dh's vegan son when he visits) and since Dh does not like that, I get him their steak n'ale pie which is a treat for him and the closest he gets to what he remembers fondly from England days. I know there are other things but I can't remember since its been several months... Frozen stuff like appetizers Dh and I enjoy for a treat.. I do usually always spend TOO MUCH, though. Another reason to limit it to 2x a year - it is saving me money! Temptation is at a safe distance...
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i was a kid i loved iceberg lettuce but now i cant stand it. it has this empty, slightly bitter tasting flavor. If i eat salad i want the very green or purple romaine lettuce leaves and/or baby greens and/or baby spinach otherwise it doesn't feel like a real salad. Often i prefer cooked veggies though, over lettuce which can only be eaten raw.

I always wash lettuce thoroughly, except bagged; idk i never knew they used an additive to make to stay fresher longer... i haven't perceived it. But could perhaps explain why i have not been in the mood for salads at home (i only buy bagged in recent years) and they just sit and sit and sit in my fridge and go bad
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favorite things is blue cheese, sweetened pecans and bacon on an iceberg lettuce wedge. Omg.

And gosh...maybe I should start washing my lettuce from now on. I never do...

TIM
    IEI 4w3 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think arugula and spinach are the only lettuce like things I find to be worth eating. Just seems like iceberg is boring and the other ones taste weird

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    I think arugula and spinach are the only lettuce like things I find to be worth eating. Just seems like iceberg is boring and the other ones taste weird
    Worth? Food is a matter of personal preference. One is not more worth than another.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I would think so. But once a woman told me her husband had tapeworm or some awful worm from lettuce SHE did not wash. She felt so guilty for his ordeal. So I started with the thorough-washing thing, and that was long ago. So I rinse the leaves individually quickly before I cut them, then cut and they sit soaking in water (I use the basket that fits in the bowl of my spinner); I pick up the basket and dump and refill with new water for a 2nd sit, then dump the water and spin it. Clean lettuce. That probably seems a lot, but I just do it and accept that's what I go through for lettuce. And don't forget cleaning up all the bits of lettuce mess and water mess over a large swath of counter, too. And also I clean the salad spinner right afterward ... but the reward is clean, fresh-tasting lettuce, and its "dry", to hold the dressing...

I do this because with the triple-washed bagged greens I can always taste the potato-white extender they wash them in to keep them from wilting. When I get a bag of those, I go to the trouble to soak and rinse and soak and rinse and dry them, to get that taste out. So generally it makes more sense to buy heads of romaine and/or fill a bag with loose baby greens which haven't been processed like that.

Now I am getting curious as I write this, because I don't hear anyone else complain about this. When I worked in a restaurant long ago we soaked the lettuce in a sink full of water with "potato white" (what they called it) and that kept cut lettuce looking fresh-cut all day (and the next and next?) instead of the edges turning brown. So I know that taste, and I taste it in the bagged lettuce; that's why I call it the "potato white taste".

I'm looking for an article but didn't find anything informative except for some of the comments here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...agged-lettuces

I sure miss Trader Joe's here. We had one close back in NYS, and I shopped there regularly, but now its a whole 45 min. away ... which is too decadent of gas and time to drive for groceries... so, I think twice annually is okay, so that's what I do. I am actually due for a trip but I can't drive with my ankle, and anyway we are trimming the budget to save money. But last time I went I bought Quince Paste which we liked - a nice addition to our wine and cheese sit-downs, and at that time I also discovered their uncured bacon packaged in a lump of "ends and pieces" so it was a GREAT price for uncured bacon - the healthy way to eat bacon - so I will stock up on that next time. And the cheeses, what a great, interesting selection at great prices. I like these little tiny soy rice crackers I get there too. I like the sound they make in a bowl. Also great prices on organic butter, organic sour cream, kefir, and free-range eggs. (Though I have a farm close by here for that so I don't by them from Trader Joes any more). Oh! And their green salsa! I stock up on a LOT of that every time. Also their organic yellow corn tortilla chips my husband loves. Fun stuff for special-occasion easy treats are in the frozen section, like super-thin crust pizzas, and a spinach-kale pie (I love this, and my son when he visits and also Dh's vegan son when he visits) and since Dh does not like that, I get him their steak n'ale pie which is a treat for him and the closest he gets to what he remembers fondly from England days. I know there are other things but I can't remember since its been several months... Frozen stuff like appetizers Dh and I enjoy for a treat.. I do usually always spend TOO MUCH, though. Another reason to limit it to 2x a year - it is saving me money! Temptation is at a safe distance...
    Honestly I find that if something has tapeworm any amount of washing may not be fully affective.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    One of my favorite things is blue cheese, sweetened pecans and bacon on an iceberg lettuce wedge. Omg.

And gosh...maybe I should start washing my lettuce from now on. I never do...
    That sounds like a winning combination. I am definitely going to try this sometimes. Maybe even Dh will try it (ONCE in a while he will eat a green veggie.).

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Honestly I find that if something has tapeworm any amount of washing may not be fully affective.
    I don't even know which foods to watch out for for tapeworm. I don't know where it hangs out or if/how you can identify it. I just wash my lettuce and produce very carefully...
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 11-06-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    That sounds like a winning combination. I am definitely going to try this sometimes. Maybe even Dh will try it (ONCE in a while he will eat a green veggie.).
    They have a really good wedge salad at Applebees that's only like 550 calories, think it's called the Green Goddess Wedge from the appetizers menu. Great, now I'm craving it again lol

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    They have a really good wedge salad at Applebees that's only like 550 calories, think it's called the Green Goddess Wedge from the appetizers menu. Great, now I'm craving it again lol
    Oo! That looks nice!

6fe3bb4e687187f8333d8990c7614afc.jpg

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yummy yummy yummy

netflix and don't touch me Emmym's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Always clean the lettuce. Bugs can still wiggle in, especially flies.

Instead of lettuce, I usually eat kale. I find it takes longer to go bad so I don't have to rush to eat it all.
    someday the grapes will be wine
    and someday you will be mine

EII-Ne 2w3 - 9w1 - 7w8 so/sx

stronger, faster, weirder
    TIM
    SLE 8w9-2-5 SX/sp
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am so amused and happy that this forum has a serious thread about lettuce. Thank you Eliza.