Member Questionnaire (rien)
What is beauty? What is love?
I consider something beautiful if I am moved, awed, or otherwise rendered speechless when looking at it. Love is more based on a deeper feeling of connection and attachment with something/someone.
What are your most important values?
I value respect for self and others, honesty, sincerity, compassion and empathy, loyalty, independence, practicality, and optimism.
Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
I do not believe in a higher order/power and do not consider myself to be very spiritual. Religion and spirituality never really appealed to me (and feels somewhat alien to me), but I see how it can be a great source of connection and meaning for a lot of people. Makes me feel a little envious, even.
Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
Wars and militaries are awful. I see them as desperate measures to get what you want when communication breaks down. Let's all just be adults and talk about this.. please?
Power is different because there are many different forms of power that can be used to achieve different ends. For example, parents are in a powerful position compared to their children. Their power can be used to care for the children and ensure their needs are met. However, power can also be used in abusive ways. I would say that understanding the context and use of power is important in determining whether or not it is being used as a force for good.
What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
I mostly chat with friends about recent/past events in their lives, hopes for the future, new hobbies and accomplishments, and problems they're struggling with. Why? I suppose these are just the most meaningful things for me to be talking about.
I am interested in current events, my hobbies, my career, and other people's opinions on things, because they are interesting to me or are practical to know.
Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
I'm considering a working in a health setting, but find the nitty gritty stuff about bio-chemistry horrifyingly boring.
I'm generally not focused on my body unless my reflection in the mirror begins to startle me.
What do you think of daily chores?
Also horrifyingly boring, but unfortunately necessary.
Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
I really like dystopian books like 1984 or Brave New World, because they get me thinking for a long time. Complicated movies are fine, but I prefer movies with relatively simple plots that make me feel something (like happy, sad, or excited). I hope this doesn't make me sound really immature, but I really like animated movies in particular. Inside Out was a recent favourite.
What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
Crying for me most of the time isn't personal. For example, I was trying to help a kid at my previous job who ran to me crying and I eventually began to tear up while I was listening to him because of how upset he looked. It's rare that I'll cry because of something that happened to me directly, but it does happen when I'm really frustrated with someone.
I smile when I see or remember pleasant things or when I get to greet or chat with people I know and respect. It's a lot easier for me to smile genuinely because I'm having fun or in a pleasant atmosphere than trying to fake it with strangers in a cold atmosphere.
Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
I feel "at one with the environment" when I'm at the park near my house. I've lived in the same place all my life and have many fond memories of that place and feel very safe there. I also like walking in rain. I feel a sense of belonging when I'm with my colleagues, friends, and family.
What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
I can be really shy, self-centred, and indecisive. Once in a while, I get really fed up with people and can be very harsh with them.
What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
I like that I'm often loyal, grounded, and patient with people most of the time.
In what areas of your life would you like help?
I need help being motivated to do mundane things. It would also be nice for others to challenge me to get out of my comfort zone sometimes as well.
Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
Yes I am constantly in a rut. Unless there is something new and exciting going on in my life, I get really bored. I react by trying to pick up new hobbies and learn about new things.
What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I like people who are honest, straightforward, sincere, caring, and fun.
I dislike arrogance, ignorance, constant pessimism (particularly people who take conspiracy theories as fact despite evidence to the contrary), people who are too high energy/continuously interrupt me, and space-invaders (people who get into my personal bubble).
I would like to think that I could along well with all 16 types! It would be significantly harder for me though, if the person had the qualities I listed above.
How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
I.. feel shy about romance/sex. Ayup, that is all.
Qualities I'd want in a partner would be qualities I generally like about people (above). It would also be amazing if my partner enjoyed cooking because I would feel really guilty if he were forced to eat my cooking for any extended period of time.
If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
My worst nightmare is that the child becomes a mass murderer or dictator/warlord when he or she grows up.
My approach to parenting would probably be pretty flexible. The child can explore the world how he or she likes but I would definitely jump in if the child might get hurt or get into a dangerous situation.
A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
My reaction would depend on what the claim is. If it was a claim based on ignorance (or worse, an "everyone is against me" type of conspiracy theory), my stomach would lurch and I would feel disgusted. I'd probably challenge my friend when it is a good time to do so.
If it were any other claim or just a disagreement, I would either be irritated or incredibly interested in their opinions. In the latter case, I probably would forget all about my own opinion of the matter and ask them more about theirs to indulge my curiosity.
Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
I like Anne Frank's quote - "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." I think people generally do not mean to do harm, but many are unaware of their true impact on others and the world. Behaviours that hurt others are learned, not inherent.
It would be difficult for me to name just one social problem. I think more generally, when people are uninformed and become ignorant, and when there is a lack of good communication between everyone, it leads to social problems.
How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
My friends are people I feel comfortable around, I have something in common with, and that I know that I'll be friends for a long time with. They are also people who would mind less that I'm often difficult to reach. I can often be preoccupied in my own personal bubble and forget to check my messages for hours, even days.
I can sometimes behave like a child around my friends; I can be very chatty and be super excited. Other times, I'm very quiet and contemplative.
How do you behave around strangers?
It depends on who the strangers are and what my role is in the situation. At worst (and more often), I would be polite and quiet. At best, I would be proactive in introducing myself to everyone and trying to make everyone feel welcome.

Thanks for reading my wall of text!