Thread: how many churches are in your area?

Creepy-bg

Default how many churches are in your area?

I thought this might make an interesting thread, but not sure if other people would be as willing to go ahead and post a google map, but here's my area. (i just put my area code + churches in the search thing)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!3m1!4b1

i guess it's strange to me to hear about areas of the united states where one religion seriously dominates over others in a way that that's all there is, that happens right? we have everything here, although prodominantly christian I suppose. within just my neighborhood there is a ba'hi place, some muslim places, several different christian denomonations, jews, and stuff that i have no idea even about, hah.

I would guess that most major US cities are something like this, at this point?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

About 3 churches, 5 synagogues, 0 mosques or temples. But none within about a mile from my house. The synagogues are all to the north of me and the churches are to the south. This was interesting.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason when I think of arizona, I don't think of it being a religious place at all. Idk why. Btw bg, how is arizona? We're really looking into moving there soon because the housing situation there is ideal.

But anyway, there is almost literally a church on every street corner here in charleston sc. I mean you can't go more than a mile without seeing one. Downtown there's probably one every other building. That is the south for you though.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    For some reason when I think of arizona, I don't think of it being a religious place at all. Idk why. Btw bg, how is arizona? We're really looking into moving there soon because the housing situation there is ideal.
    maybe i'm used to it but i didn't think of it being particularly religious either. then again, there are churches all over the f'n place here, like several per block. i guess, yeah, there are religious people everywhere, but it isn't overbearing or oppressive.

err... you remember i'm not a responsible adult, right? lol. I mean, from my basement dweller viewpoint of Az (we don't actually do basements in Az ), I love it. I see it as a bit Cali-vibe but missing some high level of douchyness that cali people can have? lol. Phoenix has the layed backedness of the southwest but along with all the convenience and money of a modern tech hub city. If our housing thing is coming back, that's kind of the main engine of phoenix's economy, is growth, so that's probably a good time to get here.

Idk, i don't think of Phoenix as an oppressive city or anything, l like pretty much all of it. we have major city issues, areas, problems, diversity, and vibrancy, but nothing that stands out particularly to me as a horror story.

the climate is tolerable once you learn how to live with it (and if you aren't poor you really barely deal with it besides between your car and the air conditioning).

idk what else to say... lol.
    Last edited by bg; 10-20-2015 at 05:59 PM.

TIM
    &*self
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Within about 2 blocks of me there are 3 churches. There are a fuck ton of churches, I wouldn't be able to count them all.
    salmon

Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4 truechristian/orthodoxy (+ several minor), 2 protestant, 1 latin/catholic. these are in 10 km radius
    maybe there are more as I may know not about every
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Within a one mile radius of where I live, there is 1 mosque (although slightly beyond this limit, there is another three, including at least one converted church, spire and all). In terms of churches, there are two Church of England / Anglican ones, a Methodist one...an United Methodist one (splitters! ...presumably Methodist), an Evangelical one (which I suppose may be Methodist), an United Reformed one, and a Catholic one. The hospital also probably still has a chapel, although I'm not sure if this counts.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I've never really thought about this. There's quite a few I see while driving around my area, but I've never counted them or thought much about what kind of churches they are.

A lot of people around here are either Southern Baptist or Catholic. We also have quite a few Jehovah's Witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

109 organized religious establishments just in my town, which isn't that big. No strip clubs or adult stores but if I walk across the town border there is probably an equal amount of churches and adult entertainment.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    IEE-Ne 792 so/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 : )

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are 11 churches in a 0.5 mile radius from me. And I live in a predominantly gay neighborhood. There are also 4 sex shops within 0.5 radius of me. One of the sex shops is directly behind a church, lol.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@bg, too many, like there is even KKK guys walking around the area sometimes