Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maladaptive Covert Narcissism Scale (MCNS)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Maladaptive Covert Narcissism Scale (MCNS)

Taken from http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ive-introvert/

Below the text is a test to see how much of a "covert" narcissist you are. the difference between the two faces of narcissism ("grandiose" narcissists vs "covert" narcissists) is explained here:
    Have you ever met someone who constantly tells you how "sensitive" and "introverted" they are, but all you actually see is selfishness and egocentricity? I'm sure you have, because these people exist in spades.

When most people think of narcissism, they think of the public face of narcissism: extraversion, aggression, self-assuredness, grandiosity, vanity, and the need to be admired by others (see "How to Spot a Narcissist"). But as far back as 1938, Harvard psychologist Henry Murray noticed another breed of narcissist among his undergraduates: the covert narcissist. While the "overt" narcissists tended to be aggressive, self-aggrandizing, exploitative, and have extreme delusions of grandeur and a need for attention, "covert" narcissists were more prone to feelings of neglect or belittlement, hypersensitivity, anxiety, and delusions of persecution.

In the 90s, psychologist Paul Wink analyzed a variety of narcissism scales and confirmed that there are indeed two distinct faces of narcissism, which they labeled "Grandiosity-Exhibitionism" and "Vulnerability-Sensitivity". He found that both shades of narcissism shared a common core of conceit, arrogance, and the tendency to give in to one's own needs and disregard others. But that's where the similarities ended.

While Grandiosity-Exhibitionism was associated with extraversion, aggressiveness, self-assuredness, and the need to be admired by others, Vulnerability-Sensitivity was associated with introversion, hypersensitivity, defensiveness, anxiety, and vulnerability. Further research by Jonathan Cheek and Jennifer Odessa Grimes at Wellesley College found a moderate correlation between covert narcissism and the Highly Sensitive Person Scale developed by Elaine Aron.

In other words, while introversion, sensitivity, and narcissism are all partially separate traits, hypersensitive covert narcissists are more likely to report that they are introverted and sensitive.
    23-QUESTION TEST (add up the points for your score)

1 = very uncharacteristic or untrue, strongly disagree
    2 = uncharacteristic
    3 = neutral
    4 = characteristic
    5 = very characteristic or true, strongly agree

1. ___ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. ___ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. ___ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. ___ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. ___ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. ___ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. ___ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. ___ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. ___ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. ___ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. ___ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. ___ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. ___ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. ___ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. ___ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. ___ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. ___ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. ___ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. ___ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. ___ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. ___ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. ___ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. ___ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

RESULTS (keep in mind that there is "some overlap between this scale and other tests that measure introversion and sensitivity")

Below 40: Very low in covert narcissism
    Mid-upper 60s: Average in covert narcissism
    82 and higher: High in covert narcissism
    97 and higher: Very high in covert narcissism - "you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist, instead of constantly telling people to stop criticizing you because your sensitive, introverted soul can't handle it."

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 = uncharacteristic
    3 = neutral
    4 = characteristic

1. 5__ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. 4__ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. 2__ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. 3__ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. 4__ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. 4__ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. 3__ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. 5__ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. 1__ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. 3__ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. 4__ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. 3__ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. 1__ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. 1__ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. 1__ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. 3__ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. 4__ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. 3__ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. 3__ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. 1__ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. 2__ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. 3__ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. 1__ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

total = 64

RESULTS (keep in mind that there is "some overlap between this scale and other tests that measure introversion and sensitivity")

Below 40: Very low in covert narcissism
    Mid-upper 60s: Average in covert narcissism
    82 and higher: High in covert narcissism
    97 and higher: Very high in covert narcissism - "you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist, instead of constantly telling people to stop criticizing you because your sensitive, introverted soul can't handle it."

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i score in the low-mid 50's. honestly i thought i'd score a little higher - maybe some of my "2" answers should be "3"s? but i guess it makes sense, because while i'm sensitive and worry about what others think of me, etc., i don't think i'm super defensive, i don't have delusions of persecution, and i'm not so self-absorbed that i forget about/dismiss other people.

(5) I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    (4) My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    (4) When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    (1) I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    (2) I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    (1) I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    (5) I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    (1) I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    (3) I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    (2) I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    (4) I am jealous of good-looking people.
    (3) I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    (1) I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    (1) I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    (3) I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    (4) I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    (1) I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    (4) I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    (1) My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    (1) I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    (2) Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    (1) I resent others who have what I lack.
    (1) Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I want to make love to all the good looking people by hyper cloning myself. I think I'm super narcissistic.

And I have various strange fetishes @leckysupport would agree.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

52, but the numbers could go up or down depending on how I felt that day. I figured out what the test was getting at pretty quickly and probably subconsciously gamed it to look better. Or maybe worse. Narcissists are proud of their narcissism and don't hide it.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even have to take this test to know that I am one but covert narcissism isn't even a 'thing' clinically.. probably most depressed/anxious/borderline people will test highly in it. Just because I do, does that mean I meet any type of clinical standard for NPD? Hardly.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    52, but the numbers could go up or down depending on how I felt that day. I figured out what the test was getting at pretty quickly and probably subconsciously gamed it to look better. Or maybe worse. Narcissists are proud of their narcissism and don't hide it.
    I was up all night and slept sort of strangely so I feel too drained today to even notice what the test was getting at. I was like woohoo another test. It only reflects my current state which may change by the end of this song.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    I don't even have to take this test to know that I am one but covert narcissism isn't even a 'thing' clinically.. probably most depressed/anxious/borderline people will test highly in it. Just because I do, does that mean I meet any type of clinical standard for NPD? Hardly.
    i don't think it's claiming to be clinical, but I do think it's describing a real phenomenon. even if it isn't clinically official, I think it's a useful categorization to use when recognizing a certain type of narcissist. besides, each new version of the DSM has modified its categorizations of personality disorders - it's not as if these ways of understanding PDs remains static over time.

and yes, i agree that a lot of the people you mentioned might have narcissistic traits (whether they know it or not), even if they aren't full-blown NPD. however, I'd also point out that some traits I have probably fall into some kind of Cluster C/Anxious spectrum, but I didn't score highly on this. i think there's a certain kind of self-absorption and victimized mentality that sets "covert narcissists" apart from others.

Creepy-bg

71 (not as bad as i assumed it could be)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35 - guess I'm just a better person than y'all. Incidentally, I score 100 on overt, queen-bitch narcissism.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you empathize with other people, and do things for others when it isn't preferable? If the answer is yes, you're healthy.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    i don't think it's claiming to be clinical, but I do think it's describing a real phenomenon. even if it isn't clinically official, I think it's a useful categorization to use when recognizing a certain type of narcissist. besides, each new version of the DSM has modified its categorizations of personality disorders - it's not as if these ways of understanding PDs remains static over time.

and yes, i agree that a lot of the people you mentioned might have narcissistic traits (whether they know it or not), even if they aren't full-blown NPD. however, I'd also point out that some traits I have probably fall into some kind of Cluster C/Anxious spectrum, but I didn't score highly on this. i think there's a certain kind of self-absorption and victimized mentality that sets "covert narcissists" apart from others.
    I see what you mean; I just read all the questions and it honestly seems like a test of BPD traits/Cluster B (explains why you would not score highly!)..and not all people with BPD are narcissists at all... I''m not a 'narcissist' and as someone with BPD traits (subclinical however) I resent being called one on the basis of this test.. I want people to be happy and I'm trying to make the world a better place; just bc these questions happen to characterize me sometimes doesn't mean I'm an evil manipulative person, cus I'm not.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Narcissism been around a bit longer than "clinical psychology". I mean Narcissus and Echo are classic Greek literature.

Echo would be the borderline side of this greek tragedy.

It's funny you take this particular topic rather personally and defensively, it's not about you.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I see what you mean; I just read all the questions and it honestly seems like a test of BPD traits/Cluster B (explains why you would not score highly!)..and not all people with BPD are narcissists at all... I''m not a 'narcissist' and as someone with BPD traits (subclinical however) I resent being called one on the basis of this test.. I want people to be happy and I'm trying to make the world a better place; just bc these questions happen to characterize me sometimes doesn't mean I'm an evil manipulative person, cus I'm not.
    Why are narcissist evil? They're just narcissists. Are BPD evil too? Or Antisocial/histrionic? Do we need to stigmatize them, put them in a cage?

There's plenty of monsters in the world and they might not even fall into narcissism or borderline or any cluster B disorder, and there's a lot of people who are subclinical who are just people with relationship problems and a damaged self-image.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. 1__ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. 3__ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. 5__ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. 2__ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. 5__ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. 4__ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. 2__ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. 5__ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. 2__ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. 3__ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. 3__ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. 4__ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. 2__ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. 2__ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. 5__ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. 3__ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. 3__ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. 3__ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. 4__ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. 2__ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. 3__ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. 2__ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. 4__ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.
    Last edited by Muddy; 10-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    3 My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    2 When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    2 I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    3 I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    4 I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    2 I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    4 I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    5 I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    1 I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    1 I am jealous of good-looking people.
    2 I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    2 I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    2 I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    4 I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    3 I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    2 I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    2 I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    2 My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    1 I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    2 Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    4 I resent others who have what I lack.
    3 Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Total 60. I was probably much higher as a kid.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2 = uncharacteristic
    3 = neutral
    4 = characteristic

5___ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    5___ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    4___ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    3___ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    4___ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    4___ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    5___ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    4___ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    5___ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    4___ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    4___ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    4___ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    4___ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    2___ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    2___ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    5___ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    4___ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    5___ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    4___ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    2___ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    1___ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    4___ I resent others who have what I lack.
    4___ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Total: 88, very high in covert naricissism.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu4 View Post
    Narcissism been around a bit longer than "clinical psychology". I mean Narcissus and Echo are classic Greek literature.

Echo would be the borderline side of this greek tragedy.

It's funny you take this particular topic rather personally and defensively, it's not about you.
    Yeah narcissism has been around but in its modern form not since Greek times..the word may originate from that myth but the diagnosis and psychoanalysis of narcissism is def not that old. 'Covert' narcissism in my opinion doesn't really exist. Also narcissists are often sociopaths and are pretty evil to me; they are the reason why BPD gets such a bad reputation, because a significant percentage of people with BPD are also narcissists and ruin lives, families, and spouses.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah narcissism has been around but in its modern form not since Greek times..the word may originate from that myth but the diagnosis and psychoanalysis of narcissism is def not that old. 'Covert' narcissism in my opinion doesn't really exist. Also narcissists are often sociopaths and are pretty evil to me; they are the reason why BPD gets such a bad reputation, because a significant percentage of people with BPD are also narcissists and ruin lives, families, and spouses.
    The clinical definition is DSM but that doesn't mean narcissism is something we can only discuss in clinical terms.

Covert narcissism may not be clinical but is it psychological? Psychology <> pathology, it encompasses far more. Yet what is the harm covert narcissism can cause to others as well as to themselves?

Stigmatizing narcissism prevent people from properly identifying their weaknesses as does stigmatizing borderline traits.

Are you trying to control the discussion of narcissism because you think somehow this analysis of the topic disturbs your sensitivities? Who are you determine what is valid psychology? And for what? Because narcissists are often sociopaths and pretty evil to you? What if most narcissist is just petty vanity, often not monsters or demons but self absorbed children who perhaps need the world to teach them a lesson in humility?

The pathology of narcissism is perhaps recently constructed in psychiatry, but the human condition, perhaps it's more universal then we think, perhaps it is something merely rooted in petty delusions and vanity, which we sometimes necessarily maintain and other times catches us in it's reflection, distracting us from the real. And sometimes it is monstrous.

Perhaps with something real, some can snap out of this mode of self-absorption.

Anyways so what if this is true or false, if you fall into this category, does it stop you from being good and decent. Is the label more important than the real, and if you are just as bad as the label suggest, what can you do to change it.

And this isn't about you, but if it is, why?

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    1. __2_ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. __2_ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. __5_ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. __1_ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. __2_ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. __3_ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. __3_ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. __3_ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. _5__ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. _3__ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. _2__ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. ___3 I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. ___1 I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. ___1 I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. __1_ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. __1_ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. __3_ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. __4_ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. __4_ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. _2__ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. __3_ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. __1_ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. __1_ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.
    56, supposedly, unless I lied to myself, possible
    good bye

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I scored 49 in this test.

I do score high on egocentrism in big5 tests and that fits me, though I do not meet the criteria for overt narcissism because I don't care for unrealistic notions of grandiosity and don't rely on admiration by others. Also like to help people just fine if it doesn't involve too much submissive self-sacrificing. As for covert narcissism, this test did give me a realistic score as I do not see myself as sensitive at all. It would be silly to call myself sensitive and then go on crying about how I'm victimized and be envious of people instead of going out and doing things that have a point. If you want self esteem this is what you need to do instead of sitting on your ass crying all day about how people suck for not admiring you.

Btw! There is a one-question test to test how narcissistic you are: https://iupui.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/...ufhcONa8r4VlUV

I scored slightly above average by agreeing that I'm more egocentric than selfless though being vain is not something I relate to much.

Why do you relate to covert narcissism? If you are just anxious and sensitive but you do genuinely care for other people too and you don't care to get jealous over silly shit and don't rely on other people's validation overall for self-serving purposes then I don't think you'd score that crazy high in this test. If you do answer those other items with "yes" then yes you have more going on than just anxiety and depression.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

67, average

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

__5_ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    __3_ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    _5__ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    _1__ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    _4__ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    __3_ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    __2_ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    _5__ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    _4__ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    __3_ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    __2_ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    _3__ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    __1_ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    __1_ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    _1__ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    _5__ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    _3__ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    _5__ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    __1_ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    _1__ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    __3_ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    _1__ I resent others who have what I lack.
    __1_ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

__4 I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    __4 My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    __4 When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    __3 I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    __3 I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    __2 I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    __3 I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    __4 I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    __4 I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    __3 I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    __2 I am jealous of good-looking people.
    __3 I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    __2 I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    __2 I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    __2 I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    __4 I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    __2 I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    __5 I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    __2 My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    __2 I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    __4 Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    __3 I resent others who have what I lack.
    __2 Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did it for real... got between 65 - 75.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing that doesn't make sense to me about this test is, if a quality being presented is "uncharacteristic and very untrue, strongly disagree", why does that still earn you a point? shouldn't that subtract points?
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps the +1 is because everyone is assumed to be a little like that anyway. but then we ask, why not just do a 1-4 scale instead.

higher numbers are more dramatic. higher numbers are h i g h e r .

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 = uncharacteristic
    3 = neutral
    4 = characteristic

1. _3__ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. _3__ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. _2__ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. _1__ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. _1__ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. _1__ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. _4__ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. _1__ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. _1__ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. _1__ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. _1__ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. _1__ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. _3__ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. _1__ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. _1__ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. _2__ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. _1__ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. _1__ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. _1__ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. _1__ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. _1__ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. _1__ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. _1__ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

Total: 34

But scoring is suspect. imo neutral should be 0, uncharacteristic should be -1, and very uncharacteristic should be -2.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

60 pts. +/-12 for the questions I could've answer differently

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. _5_ I can become entirely absorbed in thinking about my personal affairs, my health, my cares or my relations to others.
    2. _5_ My feelings are easily hurt by ridicule or the slighting remarks of others.
    3. _4_ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.
    4. _2_ I dislike sharing the credit of an achievement with others.
    5. _4_ I feel that I have enough on my hand without worrying about other people's troubles.
    6. _4_ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.
    7. _5_ I often interpret the remarks of others in a personal way.
    8. _5_ I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others.
    9. _4_ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.
    10. _4_ I am secretly "put out" or annoyed when other people come to me with their troubles, asking me for their time and sympathy.
    11. _5_ I am jealous of good-looking people.
    12. _5_ I tend to feel humiliated when criticized.
    13. _3_ I wonder why other people aren't more appreciative of my good qualities.
    14. _2_ I tend to see other people as being either great or terrible.
    15. _2_ I sometimes have fantasies about being violent without knowing why.
    16. _5_ I am especially sensitive to success and failure.
    17. _3_ I have problems that nobody else seems to understand.
    18. _5_ I try to avoid rejection at all costs.
    19. _4_ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.
    20. _2_ I tend to become involved in relationships in which I alternately adore and despise the other person.
    21. _4_ Even when I am in a group of friends, I often feel very alone and uneasy.
    22. _5_ I resent others who have what I lack.
    23. _5_ Defeat or disappointment usually shame or anger me, but I try not to show it.

92, but I don't believe in covert narcissism. I'm a burger.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu4 View Post
    The clinical definition is DSM but that doesn't mean narcissism is something we can only discuss in clinical terms.

Covert narcissism may not be clinical but is it psychological? Psychology <> pathology, it encompasses far more. Yet what is the harm covert narcissism can cause to others as well as to themselves?

Stigmatizing narcissism prevent people from properly identifying their weaknesses as does stigmatizing borderline traits.

Are you trying to control the discussion of narcissism because you think somehow this analysis of the topic disturbs your sensitivities? Who are you determine what is valid psychology? And for what? Because narcissists are often sociopaths and pretty evil to you? What if most narcissist is just petty vanity, often not monsters or demons but self absorbed children who perhaps need the world to teach them a lesson in humility?

The pathology of narcissism is perhaps recently constructed in psychiatry, but the human condition, perhaps it's more universal then we think, perhaps it is something merely rooted in petty delusions and vanity, which we sometimes necessarily maintain and other times catches us in it's reflection, distracting us from the real. And sometimes it is monstrous.

Perhaps with something real, some can snap out of this mode of self-absorption.

Anyways so what if this is true or false, if you fall into this category, does it stop you from being good and decent. Is the label more important than the real, and if you are just as bad as the label suggest, what can you do to change it.

And this isn't about you, but if it is, why?
    >Narcissist
    >Schizoid-esque solipsism and hermitry

Pick one.

Most of these supposed covert npd's that you bandy on about are just autists whom you're projecting malicious intent onto.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55. Kind of in self-centered phase right now 'cause working on some stuff.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Kim is 100%ESE
    -

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Kim is 100%ESE
    Yup : )

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Covert Narcissism at it's finest.

Another example of Covert Narcissism: Kim Kardashian's reaction to her sisters pregnancy bluff.

ER: Aspergers with some Narc traits and Psychosis

KK: The real deal

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Yup : )
    So much like my sister... "I'm busy. If you want to know how it feels like come take the baby" and doesn't notice until she hears emotions being displayed then she gets in a joking mood to lighten the mood or said "come over I got pie yesterday" wants to feed you and change your mood. Nothing like me. I say "calm down for now, I love you and well talk about it after my work. I'll be over or you can come over. No drastic measures need to be taken right now and well talk about it"
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast