View Poll Results: Would You Enjoy Designing Weapons?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would very much enjoy designing instruments of death and maiming such as cluster bombs.

7 31.82%
  • Yes, but such work could cause some conflicting feelings.

6 27.27%
  • No, it would bother my conscience knowing how my work would ultimately be used.

9 40.91%

Thread: Would You Enjoy a Job as a Weapons Designer?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would You Enjoy a Job as a Weapons Designer?

I sometimes wonder if I could enjoy a job designing weapons since I like to read about the latest technology
    being used in militaries around the world. Such thoughts always send a bolt of pain through my conscience though,
    which makes me think that perhaps I wouldn't enjoy a job that entails finding creative ways to kill people. End will probably demand I turn in my Gamma/ILI card, or be switched over to the ESI tent. If that's the case, send me to the ESFp camp instead because ESFps rule.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. The world doesn't need more weapons, plus having them would ultimately cause more issues.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    I sometimes wonder if I could enjoy a job designing weapons since I like to read about the latest technology
    being used in militaries around the world. Such thoughts always send a bolt of pain through my conscience though,
    which makes me think that perhaps I wouldn't enjoy a job that entails finding creative ways to kill people. End will probably demand I turn in my Gamma/ILI card, or be switched over to the ESI tent. If that's the case, send me to the ESFp camp instead because ESFps rule.
    My stepdad (ILI) was a quality control inspector for the defense department. He also liked firearms and had a few of his own, was all about teaching us about the great responsibility that came with owning a weapon.

I would not. I don't even want to hold a gun and he never made me or made a big deal out of my uneasiness with them. Not for moral reasons specifically. I just do not want to hold one. I am afraid it will go off and kill someone by accident.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Creepy-bg

i would love the engineering side of figuring how to effectively destroy shit. but no, the knowing about all the people killed would make me feel horrible if there wasn't personal immediate survival need (and even then, past the situation where it was immediate, any deaths attributed to my designs would haunt me i imagine).

but i do like making stuff.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If it wasn't already obvious, hell yes I love guns and blowing stuff up. In fact I often watch videos about historical weapons and new developments in military technology.

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I would probably detach myself emotionally... it's kind of like when you eat meat. You don't stop and think about how that chicken lived a life of pain & suffering and was unfairly murdered in a gruesome way... besides, you didn't know that chicken personally, so you just tune it out & enjoy that fried chicken wing.

Btw, I wouldn't enjoy such a job because things like weapons bore me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll need a masters degree. Those companies make lots of money and so the job opportunities are dwarfed by the amount of applicants.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would feed a part of me that would delight in the destruction of a human race that doesn't seem able to love one another.
    But I'm sure sometimes it would bother me also.
    Which one should eat more?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

no

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a trick question, right?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

its not the kind of skillset i'm strong in but i don't think it would affect my conscience. i don't like war but i'd just be replaced with someone else.

edit: i was thinking of doing the legwork of engineering something that somebody else came up with, but if it was actually a matter of INVENTING and thinking up new ways of killing people...no, i don't think i could do that. i guess it really doesn't matter either way, but i couldn't see it as "just a job" in that case.

TIM
    &*self
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I couldn't do it. Maybe I should just to display incompetence.
    salmon

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's like watching Iron Man again

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, almost anybody could be motivated to use weapons against a group of people they think deserves it. It used to be the Jews, but for me- you could get me to kill all SMASHes and their str8 female supporters maybe? (@n0ki)

It's always funny how we all do the most demonic of things wearing the whitest of hats on our heads... so yeah, I would- under the right circumstance, actually enjoy seeing other people hurt- just like all those bullies in school liked seeing me hurt. People suck...

Guilt is a horrible feeling though. Forgiveness is hard, cuz it feels like letting people get away with it, but forgiveness is the key to everybody's happiness. Me being a gay male loser goodie, and showing forgiveness/compassion to even those that hurt me is the sign of the highest strength. Cruelty is more powerful than love, but forgiveness is more powerful than cruelty.

A wise drag queen once said, the only reason why people shoot each other is they want to conform them how they think they should be in their own head. When they see everybody just following their own way, following their 'jewish narcissism' so to speak- it drives the nazi in us crazy.

Also like Starfall says, it just bores me. I don't have the brain to enjoy most typical 'str8 male things' like sports and weapons. I do notice I have that natural male rush of anderlain when I watch a fight scene in a movie and I'm like 'get him get him' but yeah other than that I'm not very manly lmao.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd enjoy the intellectual challenge, but I'd end up becoming an alcoholic.

Still beats drone operator tho'.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    This is a trick question, right?
    Genuinely laughed

TIM
    9w1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why should we apply ethical judgement in the activity of designing weapons?that's an easy target imo, and poor man's dilemma. a well designed weapon is better than a badly designed one anyway.plus, they are not used only to kill. plus we design weapons even by not designing weapons... every...single...day...by being that kind of salt of the earth

(i h8 weapons btw and wish there was no related industry)
    unholy water sanguine addiction

Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depends on kind of weapon. I feel aversion to biological, chemical. As probably most men I like normal weapons and hence would be interesting to develop them.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would do it, think it would be fun to come up with creative new ideas.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Still beats drone operator tho'.
    Damn near anything beats drone operator, the collateral damage caused by drone strikes, and you're the one doing it. Never sure if that group of people was a bunch of "terrorists" or if it was just a wedding party... yeesh, instant issues, I think they have a high suicide rate as well. Yeah, couldn't pay me enough, not doin' it.

However, I would still enjoy the hell out of making weapons. On the bucket list of any good nerd is "Construct your very own Iron Man suit" and go Tony Stark on some assholes. Blowing shit up is also very cathartic, really gets the frustration out of a man. Plus I'd see each weapon as kind of a work of art, they can be very aesthetically pleasing to look at (a Damascus pattern-welded sword for instance, sharp, deadly, and very pretty after etching). Weapons should be both deadly and beautiful, like good women. Just sayin' there's probably a reason men tend to give em' girls names when asked to do so . I'd draw the line at "human" weapons and autonomous killbots though, because once you're building those you know things have taken a turn towards a veeeery nasty future you don't want to be a part of. Wars fought by child-soldier cyborgs or Terminator, take ya pick!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'd enjoy the creative challenge but I'd be probably sleeping very very badly.

Are we talking designer sabers or chemical weapons? Anyhow, the "design" of weapons is kinda moot nowadays with the existance of nukes. Nothing beats damocles' sword of mutual self destruction.

Also "the pen is mightier then the sword" -> a lot of the "no" voters probably use their words as weapons sometimes, and by design.

----

The above is my design for a weapon to destroy the thread.

(should've used modtools, but alas, those weapons were already designed and copyrighted by a certain "mu4" -_-)

Washington delenda est totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    no type (!)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes I have a deep interest in weapons systems and have many books about them etc etc. quite knowledgeable on this subject and have many ideas/opinions of my own.

better weapons save the lives of our troops and make our country's position in the world stronger so that's good.

TIM
    IEI 4w3 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, that sounds like a terrible job that should make people feel guilty.