TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Imagining worst-case scenarios and coping

What type(s) would you associate with this:
    I sometimes find myself imaging horrible scenarios and picturing myself in them wondering how I would cope. For example, the house burns down- I lose everything. I become seriously ill and only have a few months to live. Everyone in my immediate family dies in a crash except for me.
    Iíve by no means have a death wish and Iím not exactly what you would call a morbid person. Most of my thoughts arenít this morbid but sometimes I will think these things. My motivation behind it is that by thinking through the most difficult situations and imagining how I would cope gives me some sense of peace of mind if I have a Ďplaní in case such events were to happen. I want to feel like no matter what comes my way in life I am equipped to handle it. Do other people do this? I could see it as Ni perhaps, enneagram 6 or SP instinct.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

It sounds like anxiety. I used to have an unhealthy fear of fire and I would constantly think of ways to make sure my family escaped in one. It was only anxiety and it went away when I dealt with the issues.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    What type(s) would you associate with this:
    I sometimes find myself imaging horrible scenarios and picturing myself in them wondering how I would cope. For example, the house burns down- I lose everything. I become seriously ill and only have a few months to live. Everyone in my immediate family dies in a crash except for me.
    I’ve by no means have a death wish and I’m not exactly what you would call a morbid person. Most of my thoughts aren’t this morbid but sometimes I will think these things. My motivation behind it is that by thinking through the most difficult situations and imagining how I would cope gives me some sense of peace of mind if I have a ‘plan’ in case such events were to happen. I want to feel like no matter what comes my way in life I am equipped to handle it. Do other people do this? I could see it as Ni perhaps, enneagram 6 or SP instinct.
    I do this, but more gruesome and anxiety reaction ridden, not to figure out what to do. things like, what if someone was torturing my family/loved ones in front me, what if i end up a raped punk in prison, etc..etc... I feel the anxiety than have to flee from the thought, but go back to it like a sore tooth.

TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do this, but mostly with scenarios that could plausibly happen to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I do this, but mostly with scenarios that could plausibly happen to me.
    These scenarios I would all consider plausible.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    These scenarios I would all consider plausible.
    Is it like a one time thing and you don't keep revisiting once you have a plan or do you revisit it? If it is not due to anxiety I will not obsess about it. That is how I knew something was off because I found myself thinking about it all the time and like BG I would try to push the thoughts away but I could not control them.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think what is described in the OP is being hyper-wary / worrisome etc. , and yes, it does sound like the mindset of someone who is anxious by nature, even if the scenarios are plausible. (I definitely relate to it!)

It reminds me of what Seneca once wrote about how if you are worried about something happening to you, you should intentionally allow yourself to endure it, so that you no longer fear it, and thus move on (probably a little related: I suppose other individuals try to keep such thoughts out of their heads altogether, either because it upsets them, or because they are proactive individuals).
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this when I was younger. For instance, I had a dream that my baby sister(at the time she was like 4) got hit by a car that my aunt was driving. She's sort of a crazy driver. And when I woke up I was panicked and shaken and what not. In my dream I froze up. And THAT scared me. After that I envisioned the scenario countless time, I think, to train my reaction if something like that happened. Really, just being honest with myself and exploring why would I freeze up and what could get me to act. Hopefully I convinced myself enough that should something like that happen, I make the right choice.

Even to this day, when I find myself not wanting to do something I fall back on that. What situation could be happening where I just have to man up and do what I don't want to do. And then Pretend. Jumping off a 50 ft rock into water? Well, what if someone fell and everyone else is too scared to go . SHIT NO TIME TO THINK (Jump you pussy they're going to die) and then I jump.

So yeah, not too much a sense of peace as much as it is me finding ways to manipulate myself. Probably the healthiest use of my Ni I've ever explored.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If itís a disease, itís nobodyís fault. Yay empiricism.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like what others said I think it is just anxiety, but you are completely my opposite since I like imaging the best case scenarios

my favorite imagination is to outsmart everyone else in whatever scenario that comes to my mind

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From my observations, introverted ethical types with a Normalizing subtype are probably the most prone to this.

My mother does this a lot and it drives me insane sometimes.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this all the time, like, multiple times a day. Usually involving close loved ones and home disasters.
    Ive generally attributed it, in my case, to a combo of e6 + sp + Ne base + bpd.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i frequently imagine worst case scenarios, and a host of bad scenarios (not necessarily "worst case"). it just pops up with a lot of my thoughts when i'm making a decision. most of it is amusing to me and i might actually joke about it, but some of it is legitimately bad consequences or things to be avoided. i derive a lot of amusement out of worst case stuff and i enjoy catastrophizing. disaster movies and end-of-the-world stories also entertain me.

this differs from my mom who's E6 and a lot of her worrying about bad things happening that would threaten her security. did she really turn off the oven? did she really lock the door? did she unplug everything, because there might be a fire. will her car break down? she can end up bringing extra stuff with her places to relieve her anxiety about all the bad things that could happen. i generally can't be bothered to go through the work of being prepared for terrible and unlikely scenarios (unless i begin to realize that it's actually *likely*), so if one ever *did* happen i might be in a worse boat... but i think my mom spends more time worrying than actually really getting prepared.

my E6 uncle otoh, he actually does prepare for everything, especially for the big earthquake and other possible breakdowns of society. the earthquake isn't a terrible idea. but i think there will be a series of smaller quakes preceding the big one likely. i will probably have at least a week of forewarning to get my shit together. and that's assuming it actually happens at this phase in my life. i do feel that not-so-great things could be coming down the pike, but actually the best things i could do to "prepare for them" would be getting in better physical shape and dealing with my financial situation.

i'm likely to feel more elated by bad scenarios/chaos than afraid. but this doesn't include people i care about... i try not to worry about people unless there is actually something i can *do* about it. it is pointless to worry myself over things out of my control - the worrying itself benefits no one. ime, worrying often actually makes things worse. i think watching my mom taught me that it's best to try to nip persistent worry in the bud. "fear is the mind killer," which it is for me in more of the E5 way of being afraid i can't get through situations, won't be able to be competent ("i don't know if i can do it, i don't feel prepared"), etc. and the confidence drain that comes from that. the more those fears build, the more it swirls into a black hole that sucks up my self-confidence and strength.

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Without going really far, worst case scenarios = Reinin negativism, fwiw of course.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Years ago I kept getting a vision of a family member dressed in an all white suit, surrounded by flowers, in a tiny white coffin. The imagery was pristine. I could not stop the image from clearly projecting itself onto my mind for months. He was only 4 at the time and it made me cry more than once. I thought for sure it was a premonition and I did not see any way to stop it since that was all I was getting. Then about a year later I went to his baptism and there he was dressed all in white surrounded by flowers. I knew it was my vision and I immediately saw an image of him as a healthy teen. Ten years later I looked at him and thought omg he looks just as I imagined him that day.

Sometimes things are not what they seem so I can't waste time worrying about "what ifs". I either see it coming or I don't. If I see it coming I am prepared emotionally more than anything. I may have a plan of action, in case, but I can shift it when necessary and respond differently than I had planned.

I did have severe OCD for a short time and it was exhausting.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ah worst case scenarios. I used to worry about them, but then something broke inside me and I started to find them hilarious. Now I laugh at things I probably shouldn't and which, if I told people, they'd probably become very worried and would seek to put me in the crazy house . What, it's not my fault that I find the prospect of you being sliced and diced into a million pieces entertaining. There's actually a bit of beauty in all the blood being splattered everywhere as the killer does it with a serene look on their face. Maybe I should... NO! Must not make the fantasy real! Bad brain! Why you have to be so fucked up?