you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 80 Questions To Eat Up An Hour

I’m not really looking for typing, I just feel like answering questions

Ti:

1. General to specific, specific to general – what does it mean?
    Inductive to deductive? Vice versa? This is awfully open-ended.

2. What does "logical" mean? What is your understanding? Do you think that it correlates with the common view?
    Cohesive, consistent with the world and within itself. I don’t know what the common view of logic is supposed to be.

3. How do you explain fractions on the dial of the clock?
    Convenient separations of time for the sake of measurement.

4. What is a rule? What rules do you have to follow?
    A rule is a boundary set in place in order to control the environment. Nobody “has” to do anything, so that question’s kind of moot.

5. What is hierarchy? Do you need to follow it? Why or why not?
    Hierarchy is any system of prioritizing one item or group of items over another. Nobody “needs” to do anything, see above.

6. What do you think of instructions? Do you use them? Could you write an instruction manual? If so, what type of instruction manual would you most likely write?
    I’m pretty good at following instructions. Cookbooks, Lego building sets, installing and setting up computer systems, etc.

7. Please explain: "Freedom is in complying with the laws, but not in ignoring the laws"? Do you agree with the statement? Why?
    I don’t see how one can be free while constantly trying to uphold themselves to external standards outside of their control. Laws come and go, and if all you’re concerned with is some external metric then you end up lacking in self-direction.

8. Tell us how consistent you are.
    Depends. Guess that’s a good enough answer.

9. What is a "standard"? Why do people need it?
    A standard is a metric by which behavior or output is deemed acceptable or otherwise. You’d need standards to determine how one can improve, thereby raising standards and propelling further growth.

10. You need to put your home library in order. How do you feel about this activity? How will you approach this task?
    Depends on what sort of mood I’m in. On the off-chance I do get into a rousing organization-flow, I’d organize things by level of either relative importance, date, function, etc etc. Also depends on what the thing I’m organizing is.

Te:

1. What is work in your opinion? Why do people go to work? Are there any parameters where you can distinguish whether you can do this work or not?
    Work is exerting effort towards a skill or service that (should) ultimately reward in physical compensation, a la money. People work either to get money or to fulfill their utmost potential doing what they love to do. I guess it requires a certain level of attention and focus for something to be called “work” and not just idle hand-fuckery.

2. Is there any correlation between quality and quantity? Tell us if or how the price depends on quality?
    I’ve often heard an anecdote about a woodshop that was divided into two group: one’s project was to create the single best chair they could come up with; the other had to create as many chairs as they possibly could. At the end of it all, the second group not only produced more, but had better quality than the single chair that everybody poured so much attention to. Whether or not this is actually true I can’t say, but I guess there’s some marginally objective metric for ya.

3. How do people determine the quality of work? How do you determine such quality? How well you can determine the quality of any purchase, do you pay any attention to it?
    Depends on the work? If it’s artistic then I judge it on its aesthetic merit as it impacts me personally. For physical goods I’m usually pretty observant of craftsmanship and longevity.

4. How do you feel if you didn't finish some work? Does it ever happen? What are the reasons?
    Usually pretty bad, considering how I’d be letting other people down if I fall through with my responsibilities. Doesn’t happen that often, I’m usually too filled with anxiety about upcoming deadlines to be so careless about them.

5. What is "interesting work" for you? Please explain in detail.
    Anything where I can explore the creative aspects. Constructing new and exciting ideas with a key for aesthetic.

6. You go to the store and see something you're interested in buying; there is a price tag on it. What parameters are you going to use to understand if it's overpriced, underpriced, or priced correctly?
    Comparing it to prices at other venues. If there’s a price aggregate then I’ll almost always just reference that.

7. When you work and someone tells you: "You don't do it right." What is your reaction?
    If they tell me how to improve the thing I’m doing then I have no problem. If they’re just complaining without proposing any changes then I’ll probably just end up resenting them.

8. There is a professional right next to you. You always see that you can't perform the way they do. Your feelings, thoughts and actions?
    Impressed, usually. Anybody who develops themselves enough to be extremely good at something is always a plus in my book.

9. When you have to ask someone else to help you with the task, how do you feel?
    Depends on the nature of the task and if I think the person can actually help me out. Usually I’m alright with it I guess?

10. You need to build a pyramid exactly like in Egypt. Your thoughts, feelings and actions?
    This probably means I’m a slave somewhere and I’m just fucked anyway.

Si

1. What is beauty? Do you change your opinion about beauty? Does your understanding correlate with the generally accepted notion? What goes beyond the generally accepted notion?
    Beauty is anything that resonates with one’s inner conception about the world on an aesthetic level. I again do not know what the “generally accepted notion” of this incredibly broad concept is supposed to be.

2. Please describe your understanding of a beautifully dressed person. What is the core of beauty? How do you explain what is beautiful to a person who has never heard about beauty before?
    I don’t often pay attention to a person’s dress, but I guess it’d be something that fits well with a cohesive color palate and fits the social context they’re in. You can’t explain beauty to anybody because it’s an entirely subjective experience.

3. Is there a template of understanding what beautiful means for everyone to use? Is there such a term as "classical beauty"? If so, what is it?
    No, everybody will have their own tastes and styles. Trying to construct a generalized template for defining ‘beauty’ will go nowhere.

4. What is comfort? What is coziness? How do you create your comfort and coziness? How do others evaluate your skill in doing so? Do you agree with them?
    Comfort is a physical state of low stress, low energy with elevated pleasure. I don’t really actively seek out comfort, too much stimulation-seeking to prioritize it really.

5. How do you pick your own clothes? Do you follow fashion? Why? Do you know how to select clothes for different types of figures?
    If I do follow fashion then it’s purely by coincidence. I have a good sense for what looks good on me, so it’s a mix of gut instinct + budget.

6. How do you cook? Do you follow recipes? What do others think of your skill?
    I can follow a recipe pretty damn well. Others would tend to agree.

7. Are you good at color patterns and mixing them and matching?
    I guess, if I put my mind to it. It’s not a skill I highly value myself on, but I generally have a good aesthetic sensibility so I make it work.

8. If someone is telling you what is beautiful and what is not, what goes with what color and what is not, do you agree with this person?
    It Depends On What They Say. Come on, we know better than to ask ridiculously interpretable questions like this.

9. Tell us how you'd design any room, house or an office. Do you do it yourself or trust someone else to do it? Why?
    Something simple but functional? I can certainly throw down a hammer and table saw if it comes to that.

10.How do you know if a person has bad taste? Could you give us an example? Do you always trust your own taste or do you seek opinions from others?
    A person has bad taste if they don’t care about their taste at all. So long as they come up with some internal aesthetic that jives with them then I really can’t fault them.
    I have a very strong sense of what I like and don’t, and I usually trust it very heavily.

Se

1. Can you line up human resources and make them do things? What methods do you use? Can you press people? If so, how does it happen?
    Sure I guess. Historically I’ve often been the one who acts as team leader since nobody else seems to want to fill that void themselves. I basically just set an overall guideline, let them do what they want, and if they have suggestions I’m always open to some thing better. If I ever have to press someone to get a job done right, then it usually means that the person takes direction poorly and I shouldn’t be using them again.

2. What is incursion? How do you deal with this? Can you repulse? How easy can you do it?
    Not really sure what you’re asking here. You mean if someone invades on my space? If I don’t care for the person or if they feel particularly invasive then yeah I can push them away with tact.

3. What does "my people" and "strangers" mean? When do "my people" become "strangers" and why?
    ???? You mean delineating between friends and strangers? It depends on how well how respect and synergize with the person and their lifestyle/philosophies/opinions.

4. Are there strategies of attack? Can you use them? When is it justified?
    Yes????????? I can if I need to????????????????? These questions are getting worse

5. Do you think it's ok to occupy someone else's territory? In what situations?
    Yes???????????????????????? I try not to be invasive on other people’s space though, and I usually expect the same of others. I get way too insular sometimes, and I wrongly expect others to be the same way.

6. What are the methods of volitional force? When is it most effective and in what situations?
    “The” Methods? Take any martial arts class I guess if you want that answer.

7. How do you protect yourself and your interests?
    I usually protect my interests by not divulging them to other people.

8. Describe your behavior in the situations of opposition and if you have to use some force?
    Depends on what’s being opposed. I usually try to maintain rational clarity when explaining any opposed positions I hold, but it doesn’t always call for forcing my perspectives onto another person. You’d just be an asshole if you did that.

9. Do others think of you as a strong person? Do you think you are a strong person?
    People seem to think I’m much more strong-willed than I think of myself. My friends have told me I come off as blunt and direct, perhaps callous and aggressive at times, which is weird because in those situations I’m usually just joking and having fun.

10. How do you understand if a person is strong? Are there any signs of a strong person? What is the core of any force? Why do people listen to one person, but not the other?
    Strength comes from knowing where to draw the line between your will and those of other people’s, and how willing you are to defend that line. People listen to people who speak with conviction, which is why Donald Trump is currently our president. See also: Milgram Experiment

Fi

1. What is boorishness? Does your understanding of it correlate with the generally accepted notion? How would you explain what boorishness mean to a 10 year old child? How would you explain the same to an adult who does not behave ethically?
    Again with this “generally accepted” crap. Who cares about if my understanding of a word fits with other people’s, especially a word that nobody’s used in the last 15 years?

Also I’m a pretty staunch moral nihilist, so this section’s going to run by pretty quickly.

2. How would you improve the moral of the society?
    Moral nihilist.

3. Can you justify somebody's bad behavior by thinking that he/she wasn't taught how to do so?
    No, bad and good are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.

4. Give us your understanding of love. Can you love and punish at the same time?
    Love is strong attraction + respect for another person. Yes, I suppose you can.

5. Have you heard about the Southern hospitality? Everything is for the guest. There is also a German hospitality – the master of the house is always right. What method is the right one? Try to evaluate without the weight of any cultural aspects, traditions, nations etc.
    Neither, because right and wrong are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.

6. What is sympathy? When do you need to express it? When is it advised not to?
    Sympathy is an expression of concern that the other person’s feelings and experiences create a strong impact on your inner emotional state. In most cases I’d rather express the shared experiences I’ve had that resemble the person’s situation in order to best express my sympathy. I guess I wouldn’t express sympathy when it won’t do anything to help the other person out.

7. Are there any norms of behavior in the society? Do you follow them? Do people always have to follow them? Why?
    Probably, but they hold little impact on me. Nobody “has” to do anything.

8. How do you know what attitude among people is right or wrong?
    Right and wrong are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.

9. What does moral mean? What is immoral? Does your understanding correlate with the others? How can you evaluate the correctness of your own understanding?
    Morality is an illusion that certain self-righteous people use to project their own internal ideals as objective metrics for how the world “ought” to be. Apparently this is the one definition question where I can definitively say that my understanding is pretty drastically different from other people’s

10. Somebody is giving you a negative attitude – what is your reaction? Could you show your own negative attitude toward someone else? If so, how? Could you give a person the silent treatment? How easily do you forgive people?
    Depends on my mood. If I feel particularly charitable I’ll try the old “kill them with kindness,” or if I actually care about the person’s opinion I’d try to talk it out with them about what’s really wrong in our relationship. I’ve given one very specific person the silent treatment for years, and I never forgave him until we actually had the conversation about what was wrong.

Fe

1. "Whole world does not cost one tear of child" – how do you understand this phrase? Do you agree with this opinion?
    I haven’t understood this phrase, it’s not one I’ve ever heard before. I guess it’s supposed to mean “the world doesn’t stop just because you feel bad?” That’s certainly true.

2. Is it acceptable to express emotions? Give examples of inappropriate expression of emotions.
    Depends on what the emotion is and under what context. Laughing when a friend is genuinely upset and needs someone to talk it out with?

3. Can you use negative emotions? In what situations?
    uhm, yes? In situations that call for it I guess.

4. How do you express negative emotions? What does it look like? What do others think about it?
    Sometimes through biting sarcasm, other times through more direct means. Others think I’m a dick for it, understandably. But it doesn’t happen often unless I’m very frustrated or upset.

5. Shallow emotions – what does it mean? Are there any other emotions?
    I mean, not really? Feelings are feeling, and they’ll each have their particular strong moments. Affect can come off as particularly weak if I don’t detect some deeper inner sentiment behind it.

6. What are right or wrong emotions?
    Right and wrong are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.

7. Can you change the emotional state of yourself? Of others? To what side – positive or negative?
    Not easily, I tend to verge towards neuroticism and rile myself up too easily.

8. What does it mean to "pour out your emotions"? How does it happen?
    It means exactly as it says? You do it by expressing your emotions all at once. The End.

9. Does your internal emotional state correlate with what you show externally?
    Pretty much. I usually find it difficult to contain my inner emotionality, and in the right zone of psychological stimulation I can go overboard with it.

10. Do you track what mood you are in throughout the day? Do you notice the mood of others?
    Yes and yes. I’m pretty sensitive to other people’s states.

Ni

1. Do you like surprises?
    If it physically startles me, no. If it’s a random important email that comes out of nowhere, then sure I’ll be down with it.

2. How people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?
    Not easily. I usually see people changing in rapid bursts at a time, like suddenly someone gets a new job and has to fly across the country.

3. Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?
    Good and bad are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.

4. What do you think of horoscopes, fortune telling etc.? Do you believe in luck, lucky fortuity?
    Trash and garbage, no no and no.

5. Can you forecast events? Is it even real?
    Depends on what kind of event it is. When you observe enough patterns in some subsections of the world you can usually intuit what the probable outcome will be, but of course things are always prone to surprising you.

6. What is time? How do you feel time? Can you "kill" time? How?
    Time is a measurement that tracks fluid changes between different states. I’ve never known time to be a thing that’s felt, only objectively monitored.

7. Is it easy for you to wait for some important event? What if you don’t know when it is supposed to happen?
    I can, but if I devote so much energy waiting for that One Great Thing to happen I’ll end up feeling like the rest of my time has been wasted. If I don’t know when it will happen, I’ll usually just keep my head focused on it until I start telling myself that it’s not gonna happen.

8. Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?
    I guess, although I’ve never felt a need to create a “forecast.”

9. Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?
    Nope, I’m usually pretty early to things. I will usually expect the same of other people, and if they don’t match up with those expectations they get knocked down in my book.

10. Imagine the situation where you agreed to meet with someone. Your feelings and actions: a) 20 minutes before the meeting starts, b) 5 minutes before the meeting starts, c) it is time for the meeting to start, but the person is not here, d) 20 minutes after the meeting start time and the person is not here, e) more time and the person is still not here…
    a) Anticipating how the meeting is gonna go down
    b) More of that, but with greater anxiety
    c) ugh come dude don’t do this shit to me
    d) yeah I’m already gone to lunch
    e) man this panini is great

Ne

1. Is there a meaning of life? In what? Is it the same for everybody?
    No

2. What should be done so people can be happy?
    Whatever they want to do

3. In the situations with a lot of potential and volatility will you trust your own guts, logically calculating everything or will you ask people you trust what should be done?
    I’m pretty good at assessing situations instinctively, and if something shows active potential I’ll jump into it pretty quickly.

4. When you meet a stranger, what can you say about them right away? How do you know what this person is all about?
    Depends on how they present themselves. I like to imagine I can pick up on people very easily, but in many cases I can be proven wrong. It’s a matter of affect, presentation, overall energy levels and orientations, etc.

5. Does it take long to understand someone's talents?
    Nah, I’m pretty good at spotting potential for growth.

6. Remember an interesting person and call out 5-6 qualities you think are interesting in them. What makes an interesting person? Are you an interesting person? Why? What if someone calls you "boring" and "not interesting"?
    1) makes shitty puns constantly
    2) has apparently played the piano for a decade but I’ve never heard him play
    3) is a massive god damn nerd
    4) somehow gets my sense of humor, despite all odds
    5) is growing a beard now
    6) also interested in japanese

“Interesting” is tough to quantify. It’s probably another one of those entirely subjective things that you can’t create an overall template for. I don’t really consider myself “interesting,” but I know a lot of random obscure shit and I don’t mind sharing it with people. If someone calls me boring, then I don’t have to be their friend either.

7. What opinions, from people who know you, seem: a) fair; b) not fair; c) hurtful; d) strange.
    a) I’m a massive god damn nerd
    b) I’m a social butterfly
    c) I can be callous and aggressive in a very off-putting way
    d) I’m intellectual

8. Do you fantasize? What kind of fantasies do you have?
    Sometimes I get locked in pretty tight mental scenarios where I’m having very emotionally heavy conversations with people I know.

9. What qualities should a person have to be successful and why? What qualities can stop a person from being successful and why?
    An internal drive to succeed, talent, grace, sociability. Not having those things can stop a person from being successful. Semantic property, motherfuckers.

10. What is more important in life – to be a good person or be a successful one? Why? Is a good person always successful? If not, then why?
    Good and bad are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality. But don’t be an asshole, please.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    So Fi is about clarifying right from wrong? And Te, all I read is "work." It looks as I am not yet cultured by such knowledge.

If I had to qualify Fi as something stereotypically accepted, my choice would lean toward facets of individual resonance, discerning these facets in others, discerning explicit feelings of exclusivity, perhaps thoughts of inherent relational idealism by the outranking of negotiable differences, if at all, discerning in some form the context by which provisionally variable measures of resolving right from wrong are made, like a good religious history--with maybe a little Ne in there, but not at all discerning right from wrong by distinct objective measure and behavioral standards of acceptance. This just seems to be a nonsense denomination to replace what Fi and the introverted function really stand for: a clear acknowledgement of the self and the boundaries of subjectivity. Maybe I don't understand the questions at hand, but I personally don't relate to these questions whatsoever.
    Iunno man, I'm just copying the questions that everybody else is answering. As you should be able to tell, I take umbrage with most of the questions being asked.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you didn't like many of the questions (understandably), but I found this to be an interesting read. I especially liked (chuckled at) your responses about good/bad, right/wrong, and morality. And for some reason I was surprised by the hammer and table saw comment, even though there was no real reason to be surprised. One of my 'duh, why not?' moments, lol.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Good and bad are imaginary delineations that have no basis or impact on reality.
    QFT

I'm down with that. lol

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an extraverted type - there is anchoring in external knowledge and ambiguity towards internal standards