Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Problems with self typing

  1. #1
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,892
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default Problems with self typing

    I read this article last night and it pretty much validated (for me) the problems I have run into with self-typing with tests. I enjoy taking them and when I understand the context of what is being asked I think I am pretty honest in my responses. I feel I am self aware enough to not let my ideal image, of self, get in the way but I do use my own little system of checks and balances. When I am serious about using a test, for self knowledge, I do them with a friend or family member who I feel knows me best and won't just go along with something that does not describe me, to stroke my ego, or because they fear some sort of conflict may be stirred if I disagree with them.

    There are periods of time (could be weeks or months) when I am very focused on logic and understanding systems. When I am in this mode I am far less emotional. I also have a tendency to withhold my feelings in certain situations because I feel expressing them will push others away but I still feel with deep intensity, sometimes to the point where it feel like it is eating me up inside.

    My friends see through this and will tell me the truth. They will tell me just because I can be a bookworm and get into nerdy stuff, like tech, that doesn't mean I am a logical type. Just because I can take in my surroundings and get an overview of the situation quickly, or feel inner sensation to the point that they manifest physically, (I know my Si is very good for informing Ni in certain situations and providing additional information I may be missing) this does not make me a sensing type.

    Anyway I think this article is useful for those just getting into test taking or any type of typology. I know some people will see MBTI and just dismiss it but it applies to any personality system, I would think. If it is helpful cool, if not, that's cool too. It is written by a self-typed ENFP (MBTI).

    You Cannot Use An Online Quiz To Properly Assess Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type: Here’s Why

    Heidi Priebe


    Almost every criticism that exists about Myers-Briggs psychology is based on the reliability of test scores. And I’m going to have to agree with the critics here: the test retest reliability of the instrument is not impressive. Many people get vastly different results every time they take the test: I myself have tested as an ENFP, ENFJ, INFJ, ISFJ and INFP over the years (the only thing I seem to consistently weigh in as is a feeler). And yet, I believe in Myers-Briggs psychology whole-heartedly. I believe that it is valid, accurate and representative of very real psychological processes that go on in our minds.

    What I do not believe in are the online quizzes that simplify the MBTI down to a four-letter type. These quizzes (most of which are not the official MBTI but free knock-offs) seem to give inaccurate results almost all of the time. They are wildly unreliable and hopelessly invalid. Before you affirmatively declare yourself an INFJ or ENTJ based on the online quiz you just took, I’d like to beg you to consider the following issues and consider learning about cognitive functions or seeing an MBTI practitioner instead.

    1. The quizzes test based on letter dichotomies, not cognitive functions.

    Online quizzes will tell you if you are an “E” or an “I,” an “S” or an “N,” an “F” or a “T,” and a “J” or a “P.” These dichotomies mean almost nothing and are merely placeholders for the cognitive functions that explain our underlying psychological processes. You cannot properly determine or understand your four-letter type without first understanding the cognitive functions you employ. Most online quizzes don’t touch on cognitive functions, though.

    It’s the equivalent of going to a doctor who diagnoses you solely on your outward appearance, without doing a single X-ray or test. You might look like you’re perfectly healthy when in actuality you have cancer. In the same way, you might seem like an INTJ but actually be an INFP. You have to test for what’s not immediately apparent – which the online quizzes don’t do.

    2. It gives polarized results.

    Here is the problem with dichotomies of any sort: They insist that you are one way or another. In reality, we are all sensors, intuitives, thinkers, feelers, judgers, perceivers, introverts and extroverts in different situations, at different times in our lives. Cognitive function theory explains that we all posses each trait that exits on the dichotomy. We simply use them in a specific order, and that order determines our type.

    Thinkers have feelings. Feelers have thoughts. Judgers are occasionally indecisive and personally, I’m a perceiver who sticks to the same daily schedule religiously. Fitting ourselves neatly into one group or the other is arbitrary and unrealistic – we all use each mental process in different ways.

    The polarized dichotomies that are doled out by online tests lead to a great deal of confusion about type. The deep-thinking sensor might assume themselves to be an intuitive, or the pragmatic feeler might market themselves as a thinker. In reality, we cannot simplify our entire personalities into neat little boxes labeled “N,” “S,” “T,” or “F.” None of us are all one way or another but the letter dichotomy tests (incorrectly) imply that we are solely emotional or entirely logical that’s the end of the story.

    3. Self-report bias is real and it skews results monstrously.

    If there’s one thing they drill into your brain when you take an undergraduate degree in psychology, it’s that we almost entirely lack the ability to objectively assess ourselves. Because we know ourselves so intricately, we can find back-up facts to support just about anything we’d like to believe about ourselves. When a test asks us if we’re logical, we think, “Last week I didn’t buy lunch out because I wanted to save money,” and we click, “Yes. Very logical.” We ignore the seventeen other times this month when we DID splurge.

    This bias is unbelievably present when it comes to Myers-Briggs questionnaires. Most of them use direct self-reports: Meaning there’s no deception involved in the analysis of the test – they just straight-up ask you if you’re loud or quiet, abstract or grounded, logical or emotional and structured or spontaneous and trust you to give accurate answers. We all like to think that we know ourselves well enough to answer the questions honestly – but the sad truth is that most of the time, we simply answer based on how we wish we were, rather than how we actually are.

    4. The language that online tests use is convoluted and often misleading.

    Because online tests assess type based on dichotomies, they often don’t pick up on the subtle inconsistencies in Myers-Briggs theory. For example, asking someone if they’re spontaneous or routine oriented only really determines their “J” or “P” preference if they’re a sensor. For intuitives, being a judger versus a perceiver has more to do with how you analyze new information and plan the future. However, the quizzes tend to assess everyone’s J or P preference based on spontaneity, which means we end up with a large amount of intuitive perceivers thinking they’re judgers. This isn’t a self-report bias problem – it’s an issue with the test itself.

    Additionally, the language used in online Myers-Briggs tests is often overly theoretical and ambiguous. Quiz-takers aren’t always completely sure of what they’re being asked, or they interpret a question one way when it’s meant to be taken another. The questions are largely based on theoretical constructs that are clear to the test creators but not to the test takers – this gives way to a breakdown in communication that can yield wildly inaccurate results.

    5. Your actual type is based on mental processes you employ, not on opinions you hold about yourself.

    At the end of the day, without a thorough understanding of the cognitive functions and how they manifest (and in some cases, even WITH that knowledge), it’s impossible to judge your own type. Your behavior is not indicative of the type that you are – your brain is.

    An ENTP may insist that they are a J, despite everything about their tangent-oriented speech pattern indicating extroverted intuition. An INFP may passionately argue that they feel like an INFJ, in the way that only someone with introverted feeling truly could. Licensed MBTI practitioners (if they are any good) can pick up on these patterns in speech and thought and identify them as the cognitive functions that they truly represent. Online quizzes simply give you the four-letter type that corresponds to the person you want to be. If you’re happy with the misrepresentation, take a free online assessment. If you want to know your true type, however, you’re going to have to see a professional or start doing some serious research.


    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  2. #2
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,892
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think that basically I am saying the same thing she is, but using different words, and applying it, to myself, in a broader way. I feel that if you are using this stuff, for self knowledge, then learn the basics of cognitive functions and build from there. I have been into this stuff for so many years and I am just now at the point where I can make real correlations between multiple personality theories and see how it all fits together. If your type in one systems highly conflicts with your type in another system then it might be a good idea to look for the missing link or start over. If this stuff is just for fun and entertainment then carry on.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    TIM
    ESI 684
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I read this article last night and it pretty much validated (for me) the problems I have run into with self-typing with tests. I enjoy taking them and when I understand the context of what is being asked I think I am pretty honest in my responses. I feel I am self aware enough to not let my ideal image, of self, get in the way but I do use my own little system of checks and balances. When I am serious about using a test, for self knowledge, I do them with a friend or family member who I feel knows me best and won't just go along with something that does not describe me, to stroke my ego, or because they fear some sort of conflict may be stirred if I disagree with them.

    There are periods of time (could be weeks or months) when I am very focused on logic and understanding systems. When I am in this mode I am far less emotional. I also have a tendency to withhold my feelings in certain situations because I feel expressing them will push others away but I still feel with deep intensity, sometimes to the point where it feel like it is eating me up inside.

    My friends see through this and will tell me the truth. They will tell me just because I can be a bookworm and get into nerdy stuff, like tech, that doesn't mean I am a logical type. Just because I can take in my surroundings and get an overview of the situation quickly, or feel inner sensation to the point that they manifest physically, (I know my Si is very good for informing Ni in certain situations and providing additional information I may be missing) this does not make me a sensing type.

    Anyway I think this article is useful for those just getting into test taking or any type of typology. I know some people will see MBTI and just dismiss it but it applies to any personality system, I would think. If it is helpful cool, if not, that's cool too. It is written by a self-typed ENFP (MBTI).
    Must I REALLY quote Jung? Eh...that is what he says in INTRODUCTION lol. That self typing is an arse!

  4. #4
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,892
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nondescript View Post
    Must I REALLY quote Jung? Eh...that is what he says in INTRODUCTION lol. That self typing is an arse!
    This idea of self typing has been floating around in my ether for awhile. While reading the article I was thinking of people I know who have problems self typing and would dismiss my impressions of them, without any consideration of what I am saying, only to later have them come back and tell me I was right. I do have fun with this stuff now because I take it less seriously than I did. I feel I have sufficient self knowledge that I do not struggle with it but I see others do.

    Some people are hard to read and usually (not always) it is because I got too close to them emotionally so I am projecting my desires, or fears, onto them. I think I am best at typing with my first impression but later can doubt myself. I do not like the idea of declaring a type for someone else then being wrong. I will offer an impression, if the mood strikes me, but do not like to state with too much confidence so I do not have to go back and eat my words.

    Edit: Maybe I should have put a "trigger warning" on this?

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  5. #5
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I found this to be true. When I conducted an mbti self test the results were all over the place but a few out of 30 college kids got their self type

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,085
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    so many words. so few videos. as a results so many chronic doubts about types and mistypings
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    TIM
    ESI 684
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    so many words. so few videos. as a results so many chronic doubts about types and mistypings
    Actually, I could be SLE / LSI. The notion keeps coming back to me. Why? Well, because when a problem arises, I shoot relations(Fi) down the shit hole and just want to fix the problem. Lately I've been having troubles with the net and my answer to my sister's resistance towards checking a site so I could eliminate the possiblity of local problems was to just say "come on do that stupid thing you stupid bitch. What does it cost you?" - naturally in severely raised voice.

    Plus my ongoing emotional hardiness(I feel practically nothing-can someone explain emotions please?) is what further pushes me down this line. Yet another example! Recently I received my first paycheck(my first EVER!) and my reaction...nothing. I merely purchased a subscription for SWTOR and went on with it(meanwhile, I know that several of my acquintances celebrated, literally, their first paycheck). Not to mention that my former classmates do say that I am "tactless". Look, I say the truth...because I don't understand anything else.

    So...maybe you are still right @Sol.

  8. #8
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,892
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    so many words. so few videos. as a results so many chronic doubts about types and mistypings
    I do not doubt my type, ftr. Most people who know me don't either. If they do they don't say it. I guess there is someone here who thinks I could be EIE-Ni and have not made up their mind yet (you know who you are )

    You sure do have a thing for videos. Have you actually typed someone with video and they agreed with you? Someone who is not a celebrity or youtube persona?

    I don't know much about the j/p switch. I just know I get INFJ on the MBTI and some of the function tests and IEI on socionics tests. I did not use tests to determine my type though. I used introspection and read everything I found that pertained to my functions. Then I got feedback from others.

    I think IEI is the correct order of function for me in socionics but it sounds like a mixture of INFP and INFJ descriptions in MBTI. I can easily relate to some parts of the MBTI INFP too but INFJ fits me better, even if I do not completely fit either. I usually score close on T/F and J/P but not always.

    I know when I first joined here some people were saying EII for me and it was so off from how I process information. I relate to some of the other self-typed IEI and @glam, in particular, writes in a way that I easily relate to even though we might be very different in enneagram stackings.

    I don't think you would be able to distinguish my type from a video. Not trying to dismiss your typing skills but my video will not give you access to how my mind works.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    One of the problems with self typing is that people don't give weight to certain traitsabout themselves and the same can be said with having others type you. There are specific determining factors

  10. #10
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,892
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    One of the problems with self typing is that people don't give weight to certain traitsabout themselves and the same can be said with having others type you. There are specific determining factors
    This is true. I showed you my video clip and pics only after we had interacted a bit on the forum. Plus I have like 6000 posts now. hahah I think your impression was very good actually.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  11. #11
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This is true. I showed you my video clip and pics only after we had interacted a bit on the forum. Plus I have like 6000 posts now. hahah I think your impression was very good actually.
    Thank you. And, I think that you are one knock out of an IEI.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    TIM
    ESI 684
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    One of the problems with self typing is that people don't give weight to certain traitsabout themselves and the same can be said with having others type you. There are specific determining factors
    "Certain traits" would be...which traits exactly?

    Also, which type do you see as mine now that more time has passed? I ask because I just do-I don't necessary analyse everything I do. Hell, I barely analyse anything I do-or what others do for that matter. Everyone's free to do as he likes AS LONG as he stays within boundaries of normal behaviour, of course!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •