Thread: Philosophies That Influenced Jung

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Philosophies That Influenced Jung

Psychological Types was not based on the Philosophy of Science. What philosophies/philosophers do you see influencing his cognitive function theory? I'm not well versed in philosophy, but from what I've read, he was influenced by Plato, Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, Schopenhauer. He seems to have heavily influenced by philosophical Idealism.
    Last edited by Chains; 08-31-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He definitely wasn't too concerned with Empiricism and the Philosophy of Science.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is typology essentially bunk because it is based on pseudoscience and pseudophilosophy? Anyone else agree?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jung said his work was empirical but he misunderstood the word. a big wig philosopher critic called him out on it and Jung ended up admitting fault.

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

I started a thread about the four temperaments a few months ago, after reading through this site. It was informative.
    Carl Jung was among many great personality theorists who drew inspiration and guidance from the ancient Greek Four Temperaments model and its various interpretations over the centuries. Carl Jung's key book in this regard, which extended and explained his theories about personality type, was Psychological Types, published in 1921. His theory of Psychological Types was part of a wider set of ideas relating to psychic energy, in which he developed important concepts for clinical psychological therapy and psycho-analysis (psychiatric diagnosis and therapy).

http://www.businessballs.com/persona...odels.htm#carl jung's personality types
    The Four Temperaments also provided much inspiration and historical reference for Carl Jung's work, which in turn provided the underpinning structures and theory for the development of Myers Briggs'® and David Keirsey's modern-day personality assessment systems, which correlate with the Four Temperaments thus:
    Isabel Myers 1950s Galen c.190AD David Keirsey 1998
    SP sensing-perceiving sangine artisan
    SJ sensing-judging melancholic guardian
    NF intuitive-feeling choleric idealist
    NT intuitive-thinking phlegmatic rationalist

http://www.businessballs.com/persona...ylesmodels.htm

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it aint Lao Tzu, it aint right
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If it aint Lao Tzu, it aint right
    and so it is... iow, amen.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't really argue with you, but I don't see how he was a Philosophical Idealist or how he followed pseudophilosophy; his definitions of subjective and objective don't suggest that he thought reality was a construct of the mind, rather that we have different ways of objectively interacting with reality and unique ways of subjectively relating it.

But how did you come to see it as pseudophilosophy?