701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default t.s. eliot

Some kind of a T
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

First impression was ILI, awhile back. Haven't thought about it since, until now.

"T.S. Eliot on the auditory imagination:

“What I call the ‘auditory imagination’ is the feeling for syllable and rhythm, penetrating far below the conscious levels of thought and feeling, invigorating every word; sinking to the most primitive and forgotten, returning to the origin and bringing something back, seeking the beginning and the end. It works through meanings, certainly, or not without meanings in the ordinary sense, and fuses the old and obliterated and the trite, the current, and the new and surprising, the most ancient and most civilized mentality.”"

T.S. ELIOT QUOTES
    All dash to and fro in motor cars,Familiar with the roads and settled nowhere.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Waste Land
    Death has a hundred hands and walks by a thousand ways.
    T.S. ELIOT, Murder in the Cathedral
    History has many cunning passages, contrived corridors and issues.
    T.S. ELIOT, Gerontion
    I journeyed to London, to the time kept City,Where the River flows, with foreign flotations.There I was told: we have too many churches,And too few chop-houses.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The Church must be forever building, for it is forever decaying within and attacked from without.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The True Church can never fail For it is based upon a rock.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Hippopotamus
    Endless invention, endless experiment,Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
    The lawn Is pressed by unseen feet, and ghosts return Gently at twilight, gently go at dawn,The sad intangible who grieve and yearn....
    T.S. ELIOT, To Walter de la Mare
    This is the way the world ends Not with a bang but a whimper.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Hollow Men
    In my beginning is my end.
    T.S. ELIOT, "East Coker," Four Quartets
    War is not a life: it is a situation,One which may neither be ignored nor accepted.
    T.S. ELIOT, A Note on War Poetry
    I have given you the power of choice, and you only alternate Between futile speculation and unconsidered action.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    It is a test (a positive test, I do not assert that it is always valid negatively), that genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood.
    T. S. ELIOT, "Dante"
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
    T. S. ELIOT, preface, Transit of Venus
    Destiny waits in the hand of God, not in the hands of statesmen.
    T. S. ELIOT, Murder in the Cathedral
    The soul of Man must quicken to creation.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Sacred Wood
    There will be time, there will be time To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;There will be time to murder and create,And time for all the works and days of hands,That lift and drop a question on your plate;Time for you and time for me,And time yet for a hundred indecisions, And for a hundred visions and revisions,Before the taking of a toast and tea.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
    The lot of man is ceaseless labor,Or ceaseless idleness, which is still harder.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    Ambition fortifies the will of man to become ruler over other men: it operates with deception, cajolery, and violence, it is the action of impurity upon impurity.
    The bad poet is usually unconscious where he ought to be conscious, and conscious where he ought to be unconscious.
    T. S. ELIOT, Tradition and the Individual Talent
    One thing you cannot know:The sudden extinction of every alternative,The unexpected crash of the iron cataract.You do not know what hope is, until you have lost it.You only know what it is not to hope:You do not know what it is to have hope taken from you.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Family Reunion
    The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do more, and you are not yet decrepit enough to turn them down.
    T. S. ELIOT, Time Magazine, Oct. 23, 1950
    No verse is free for the man who wants to do a good job.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Music of Poetry
    When the Stranger says: "What is the meaning of this city?Do you huddle close together because you love each other?"What will you answer? "We all dwell together To make money from each other"? or "This is a community"?
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The awful daring of a moment's surrender Which an age of prudence can never retract By this, and this only, we have existed.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Waste Land
    Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
    If the lost word is lost, if the spent word is spent If the unheard, unspoken Word is unspoken, unheard;Still is the unspoken word, the Word unheard,The Word without a word, the Word withinThe world and for the world;And the light shone in darkness and Against the Word the unstilled world still whirled About the centre of the silent Word.
    T. S. ELIOT, Ash-Wednesday
    Men have left GOD not for other gods, they say, but for no God; and this has never happened before.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I grow old ... I grow old ...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
    In life there is not time to grieve long.
    Men tighten the knot of confusion Into perfect misunderstanding.
    Unreal City,Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,I had not thought death had undone so many.Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.Flowed up the hill and down King William Street,To where St Mary Woolnoth kept the hours With a dead sound on the final stock of nine.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think that they will sing to me.
    All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    For last year's words belong to last year's language And next year's words await another voice.
    T. S. ELIOT, Four Quartets
    Browse T. S. Eliot Quotes II
    T.S. Eliot Poems - a collection of his poetry.
    T.S. Eliot Bibliography - a bibliography, including list of critical resources.

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/e/elio...tUycAPAEPxu.99

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    First impression was ILI, awhile back. Haven't thought about it since, until now.

T.S. ELIOT QUOTES
    All dash to and fro in motor cars,Familiar with the roads and settled nowhere.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Waste Land
    Death has a hundred hands and walks by a thousand ways.
    T.S. ELIOT, Murder in the Cathedral
    History has many cunning passages, contrived corridors and issues.
    T.S. ELIOT, Gerontion
    I journeyed to London, to the time kept City,Where the River flows, with foreign flotations.There I was told: we have too many churches,And too few chop-houses.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The Church must be forever building, for it is forever decaying within and attacked from without.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The True Church can never fail For it is based upon a rock.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Hippopotamus
    Endless invention, endless experiment,Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
    The lawn Is pressed by unseen feet, and ghosts return Gently at twilight, gently go at dawn,The sad intangible who grieve and yearn....
    T.S. ELIOT, To Walter de la Mare
    This is the way the world ends Not with a bang but a whimper.
    T.S. ELIOT, The Hollow Men
    In my beginning is my end.
    T.S. ELIOT, "East Coker," Four Quartets
    War is not a life: it is a situation,One which may neither be ignored nor accepted.
    T.S. ELIOT, A Note on War Poetry
    I have given you the power of choice, and you only alternate Between futile speculation and unconsidered action.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    It is a test (a positive test, I do not assert that it is always valid negatively), that genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood.
    T. S. ELIOT, "Dante"
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
    T. S. ELIOT, preface, Transit of Venus
    Destiny waits in the hand of God, not in the hands of statesmen.
    The soul of Man must quicken to creation.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Sacred Wood
    There will be time, there will be time To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;There will be time to murder and create,And time for all the works and days of hands,That lift and drop a question on your plate;Time for you and time for me,And time yet for a hundred indecisions, And for a hundred visions and revisions,Before the taking of a toast and tea.
    The lot of man is ceaseless labor,Or ceaseless idleness, which is still harder.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    Ambition fortifies the will of man to become ruler over other men: it operates with deception, cajolery, and violence, it is the action of impurity upon impurity.
    The bad poet is usually unconscious where he ought to be conscious, and conscious where he ought to be unconscious.
    T. S. ELIOT, Tradition and the Individual Talent
    One thing you cannot know:The sudden extinction of every alternative,The unexpected crash of the iron cataract.You do not know what hope is, until you have lost it.You only know what it is not to hope:You do not know what it is to have hope taken from you.
    The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do more, and you are not yet decrepit enough to turn them down.
    T. S. ELIOT, Time Magazine, Oct. 23, 1950
    No verse is free for the man who wants to do a good job.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Music of Poetry
    When the Stranger says: "What is the meaning of this city?Do you huddle close together because you love each other?"What will you answer? "We all dwell together To make money from each other"? or "This is a community"?
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    The awful daring of a moment's surrender Which an age of prudence can never retract By this, and this only, we have existed.
    Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
    If the lost word is lost, if the spent word is spent If the unheard, unspoken Word is unspoken, unheard;Still is the unspoken word, the Word unheard,The Word without a word, the Word withinThe world and for the world;And the light shone in darkness and Against the Word the unstilled world still whirled About the centre of the silent Word.
    T. S. ELIOT, Ash-Wednesday
    Men have left GOD not for other gods, they say, but for no God; and this has never happened before.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    I grow old ... I grow old ...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
    In life there is not time to grieve long.
    Men tighten the knot of confusion Into perfect misunderstanding.
    Unreal City,Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,I had not thought death had undone so many.Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.Flowed up the hill and down King William Street,To where St Mary Woolnoth kept the hours With a dead sound on the final stock of nine.
    I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think that they will sing to me.
    All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance.
    T. S. ELIOT, The Rock
    For last year's words belong to last year's language And next year's words await another voice.
    T. S. ELIOT, Four Quartets
    Browse T. S. Eliot Quotes II
    T.S. Eliot Poems - a collection of his poetry.
    T.S. Eliot Bibliography - a bibliography, including list of critical resources.

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/e/elio...tUycAPAEPxu.99
    my SEE friend's favourite poet
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I agree Aylen.
    -