User Tag List

Thread: Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie

Hello everyone.
    I am an almost 18-year-old who likes martial arts, Tv shows, drawing and occasionally writing (even though I am not very good at it).
    I usually test as SLE-Ti in socionics tests and I relate to it quite well, even though I relate to LIE-Ni as well (even though not as much); I don't think I am an ESTP in mbti though (but I know that socionics and mbti do not always correspond perfectly).
    I haven't been seriously into socionics for a lot of time yet but I'm slowly beginning to understand it, and I like it better than mbti because it takes into consideration all the eight functions instead of just four of them, and to me that makes more sense.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

o/ Cool, what kind of martial arts?
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    o/ Cool, what kind of martial arts?
    I myself do karate, but I am also interested in MMA and jujtsu (I started with it).

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You may make the video and we'll guess about your type.

but I know that socionics and mbti do not always correspond perfectly
    They totally correspond if types are identified and described correctly, as they are same Jung's typology and have compatible preferences. If your type is SLE - it is ESTP in Socionics and in MBT.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How do you find the kicking techniques compare? I hear MMA hits 'hardest.'
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you find the kicking techniques compare? I hear MMA hits 'hardest.'
    Compared to karate, yeah; same goes for jujutsu, it can be rather "violent", with much physical contact.
    Karate, on the other hand, is all about control and discipline, and too much physical contact is not allowed.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noyo View Post
    Compared to karate, yeah; same goes for jujutsu, it can be rather "violent", with much physical contact.
    Karate, on the other hand, is all about control and discipline, and too much physical contact is not allowed.
    Right, I hear the control required varies between schools of karate as well. What do you like about martial arts?
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I was tagged here.

Taking Kung Fu was the only thing that kept me from completely spiraling out of control as a teen. I was forced to go, in the beginning, but then I realized I loved everything about it. I wish I had kept up with it but life got in the way. I highly recommend starting kids young.

Welcome to the forum.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, I hear the control required varies between schools of karate as well. What do you like about martial arts?
    Yes, it does; my style (Shito-Ryu) requires a lot of control, I think mostly because it has a lot of katas and rapidity (rather than strenght) is the most valued quality in kumites.
    I like the fact that they teach you to defend yourself and to have confidence in yourself. I also like the idea of the constant betterment of oneself. They also teach you to have a new, calmer perspective on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Taking Kung Fu was the only thing that kept me from completely spiraling out of control as a teen. I was forced to go, in the beginning, but then I realized I loved everything about it. I wish I had kept up with it but life got in the way. I highly recommend starting kids young.
    Similar story here.
    I started karate when I was 14 because my parents had heard it was good for kids with ADHD (I have ADHD-PI), and it has helped me a lot since then. I recommend them as well

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thirded @ martial arts for kids, due to attitude of betterment and channeling various feelings into something ultimately non-destructive.

Right, I did Shotokan and they used really low and wide stances, counter-productive for highly valuing speed. They preferred some form of strong rootedness I think.
    Reason is a whore.