Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Age of Catastrophizing Microaggressions

  1. #1
    Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    eastern U.S.
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Posts
    2,520
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The Age of Catastrophizing Microaggressions

    Also Zero Tolerance, Fortune-telling, Magnification, Trigger Warnings, Negative Filtering, Disinvitation Season, and more. This article, "The Coddling of the American Mind" in Atlantic Monthly is interesting, and it helps me understand a lot of what I see today - a threat to free speech, a policing of the mind.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........


    "Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

    .
    .
    .


  2. #2
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,225
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Smells like Ne polr manifesting in society.

  3. #3
    End's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Also Zero Tolerance, Fortune-telling, Magnification, Trigger Warnings, Negative Filtering, Disinvitation Season, and more. This article, "The Coddling of the American Mind" in Atlantic Monthly is interesting, and it helps me understand a lot of what I see today - a threat to free speech, a policing of the mind.
    Oh it gets worse than that my friend, much worse. The end goal of the powers that be is straight out of a dystopia, they don't just wanna police your mind, they wanna control it. Turn us all into their servile, groveling, gracious slaves who do even the most vile things gladly upon their every transient whim. Our lives only meant to fulfill their arrogance as they delude themselves into believing they have achieved apotheosis and supplanted the throne once thought to be occupied by God.

    It's a good thing the world and things like the laws of economics give zero fucks about your station in society and whether or not Satan loves you. The puppet masters will fall, they can't not. My only fear is that, in their final fits of delusion and rage, they take us all down with them. They got the nukes, they could do it. I just pray they won't be able to, that their minions say "fuck you" at the critical moment. Then, after a good Zombie Apocalypse (for we already have them, just need to not feed them for 3 days for it to become manifest), we'll probably have a good society going. Several of them, the trend is towards decentralization and I couldn't be happier for it.

    Still though, zombies, get ready for them. They may not be undead, but they'll essentially be zombies. Be prepared to bash a few heads if ya wanna come out the other end of this alive.

  4. #4
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,888
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't stop fortune telling. I use tarot frequently. I consult the ghost radar. I talk to the elements. I read minds (indirectly) and emotions. I have cast spells. Does this mean I am going straight to hell. Do not pass purgatory.

    I am still an optimist.

    Exodus 22:18Verse Concepts

    "You shall not allow a sorceress to live.


    Leviticus 20:27Verse Concepts

    'Now a man or a woman who is a medium or a spiritist shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.'"


    Deuteronomy 18:10-11Verse Concepts

    "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.


    - See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topic....6o8qi63a.dpuf
    I don't want to be stoned, hanged or burned, again.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  5. #5
    Pookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Posts
    2,127
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thread is confusing due to what is described in Poe's Law:
    "without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will, to some readers, be indistinguishable from sincere expressions of the parodied views"

    I have no idea who is being serious and who is being Tongue in Cheek. But I do think that people finding things to be mad about and then dropping attention from them to something new, continually in a faux outrage over the next novel travesty, is a sign of an image-based self esteem. Those people do not care about the topic. But they do care about people seeing them as someone who would care about that topic.

    On one hand, we've never had a more tolerant and accepting world to live in. But on the other, it's making us soft, narcissistic, and unprepared for real tragedy. Cant have good without bad, right?
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

    Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

  6. #6
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    This outrage over outrage is outrageous.

  7. #7
    Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    eastern U.S.
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Posts
    2,520
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I can't stop fortune telling. I use tarot frequently. I consult the ghost radar. I talk to the elements. I read minds (indirectly) and emotions. I have cast spells. Does this mean I am going straight to hell. Do not pass purgatory.

    I am still an optimist.



    I don't want to be stoned, hanged or burned, again.
    Not at all what the article is about! Tarot, spells - maybe later and in another thread I will comment on that if you want, though.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........


    "Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

    .
    .
    .


  8. #8
    Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    eastern U.S.
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Posts
    2,520
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Oh it gets worse than that my friend, much worse. The end goal of the powers that be is straight out of a dystopia, they don't just wanna police your mind, they wanna control it. Turn us all into their servile, groveling, gracious slaves who do even the most vile things gladly upon their every transient whim. Our lives only meant to fulfill their arrogance as they delude themselves into believing they have achieved apotheosis and supplanted the throne once thought to be occupied by God...
    Actually this is the only part of your post I can sort of follow, and less as you go. Like I do not understand the zombie obsession of our time; I don't believe they exist, in their theatrical form. But I agree with your general statement that people in power do want the rest of us to be ignorant non-thinkers. It's the reason for the dumbing down of education, confusing required education like Common Core -- to make us into non-thinkers and people who think they are dumb and need to be told what to do. And they are happy to tell us!

    ...We need spiritual protection to live in this world, that's for sure.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........


    "Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

    .
    .
    .


  9. #9
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,888
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Not at all what the article is about! Tarot, spells - maybe later and in another thread I will comment on that if you want, though.
    I know. I skimmed it. Might be too "so" for me because it is not something I relate to and does not have much impact on my experience of the world.

    I skipped to the end. These things seem to be innate in some people.

    Common Cognitive Distortions


    A partial list from Robert L. Leahy, Stephen J. F. Holland, and Lata K. McGinn’s Treatment Plans and Interventions for Depression and Anxiety Disorders (2012).


    1. Mind reading. You assume that you know what people think without having sufficient evidence of their thoughts. “He thinks I’m a loser.”


    2. Fortune-telling. You predict the future negatively: things will get worse, or there is danger ahead. “I’ll fail that exam,” or “I won’t get the job.”


    3. Catastrophizing.You believe that what has happened or will happen will be so awful and unbearable that you won’t be able to stand it. “It would be terrible if I failed.”


    4. Labeling. You assign global negative traits to yourself and others. “I’m undesirable,” or “He’s a rotten person.”


    5. Discounting positives. You claim that the positive things you or others do are trivial. “That’s what wives are supposed to do—so it doesn’t count when she’s nice to me,” or “Those successes were easy, so they don’t matter.”


    6. Negative filtering. You focus almost exclusively on the negatives and seldom notice the positives. “Look at all of the people who don’t like me.”


    7. Overgeneralizing. You perceive a global pattern of negatives on the basis of a single incident. “This generally happens to me. I seem to fail at a lot of things.”


    8. Dichotomous thinking. You view events or people in all-or-nothing terms. “I get rejected by everyone,” or “It was a complete waste of time.”


    9. Blaming. You focus on the other person as the source of your negative feelings, and you refuse to take responsibility for changing yourself. “She’s to blame for the way I feel now,” or “My parents caused all my problems.”


    10. What if? You keep asking a series of questions about “what if” something happens, and you fail to be satisfied with any of the answers. “Yeah, but what if I get anxious?,” or “What if I can’t catch my breath?”


    11. Emotional reasoning. You let your feelings guide your interpretation of reality. “I feel depressed; therefore, my marriage is not working out.”


    12. Inability to disconfirm. You reject any evidence or arguments that might contradict your negative thoughts. For example, when you have the thought I’m unlovable, you reject as irrelevant any evidence that people like you. Consequently, your thought cannot be refuted. “That’s not the real issue. There are deeper problems. There are other factors.”

    I am usually an optimist and I am not sure if I am ready to hear the religious implications of my cognitive style or beliefs, yet.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  10. #10
    End's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Actually this is the only part of your post I can sort of follow, and less as you go. Like I do not understand the zombie obsession of our time; I don't believe they exist, in their theatrical form. But I agree with your general statement that people in power do want the rest of us to be ignorant non-thinkers. It's the reason for the dumbing down of education, confusing required education like Common Core -- to make us into non-thinkers and people who think they are dumb and need to be told what to do. And they are happy to tell us!

    ...We need spiritual protection to live in this world, that's for sure.
    Just go to Wal-Mart after midnight, you'll see em', the zombies I mean. There are people walking among us who don't even know, for certain, where they actually live! Once they hit 3 days without food they'll kill you for a pack of Top Ramen. Hell, they'll kill you just because you, yourself, are a walking sack of meat. That liver you got is looking mighty tasty once it all goes to hell. Brain too, I wouldn't eat it because I don't wanna get a Prion infection but yeah, its got all kinds of things that'll keep ya alive when the food disappears from the shelf of your grocery store. Sorry fools don't even know how to grow your own veggies...

    The agenda has already advanced to that point, it's already that bad. All we need is that last little push, just one little False Flag attack, that's all it's gonna take. Get ready, the hordes of the quasi-undead are coming.

  11. #11
    End's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Posts
    536
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I can't stop fortune telling. I use tarot frequently. I consult the ghost radar. I talk to the elements. I read minds (indirectly) and emotions. I have cast spells. Does this mean I am going straight to hell. Do not pass purgatory.

    I am still an optimist.



    I don't want to be stoned, hanged or burned, again.
    Well there's only way to find out for sure, and that's by actually dying yourself. I don't recommend that, stave it off for as long as ethically possible. Some dudes are looking into "head" transplants, I solemnly swear to annihilate anyone who resorts to that option. Your life is not so important and so vital that another life has to end in its prime to postpone your date with the Grim Reaper. Hell, it probably wouldn't even be for that, they'd switch bodies on every whim because hey, why not? I hope the victim in that situation had a chance to fight it. If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back. If you must resort to "wetwork" at least have the balls to undertake the duty yourself. Team up with the hitman you hired, 2 is better than one. You can even hire a 3-sniper kill team for 800k U.S dollars. Tag along! Learn the trade, that way you'll save the 800k next time this issue pops up, you'll only need about 5k for a good spotter the next time someone has to die.

    But I digress, I'd gladly defend you from the stoners. So long as the spells don't involve forcibly extracting human blood or other such blatantly immoral practices you have every right to cast whatever spell you wish. I don't think it'll do anything but hey, I could be wrong. For all I know mages and vampires are real, I just haven't found sufficient proof for that yet. You can bet I'll be casting like a mofo if I get confirmation on how to properly cast a verifiably working spell. Probably won't be able to tell of my success though, for I got a sneaking suspicion that shit is guarded with lives if it exists.

    You know how to into magic? Keep that shit to yourself novice, or else. Signed, the Magus Association and their merry band of Enforcers. Oh, and don't piss off the Holy Church, they got dudes trained specifically on how to kill mages. Holy relics ain't nothing to fuck with and neither are the Vatican's secret kill teams .
    Last edited by End; 08-21-2015 at 05:27 PM.

  12. #12
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i notice trigger warnings a lot in fan fiction summaries and i generally find it strange/kind of annoying. i usually have an idea of what subject matter i'm getting into with a book, or story, or film... and i have a good idea about anything i might find "traumatic," so it seems excessive to add a "trigger warning." i avoid watching some movies because i suspect i might find them traumatizing (a lot of movies in the horror genre. just reading about 'the human centipede' disturbed me a lot and it takes me a second or two to realize i've never watched the movie because i see all the images in my head...)

    it's important imo to know one's own psyche and to be able to anticipate how different things will affect you before getting into them so you can take measures to protect yourself or simply avoid certain things until ready, and i wonder if relying on others to provide "trigger warnings" encourages laziness? it's asking someone else to do that work for you, basically. and i like being able to anticipate and estimate and steer myself, mainly because it works well for me and i feel good about myself when i can function independently in an area.

    it's kind of shocking that it would be thought necessary to give "trigger warnings" for reading material in college courses. i'd agree that it's a disturbing trend to shut out anything potentially upsetting or offensive. however, i also don't think that the concept of micro-aggressions is bs, even though some (most?) of the examples in the article were.

    i operate heavily under cognitive distortions, especially emotional reasoning, mind-reading, fortune telling, discounting positives, negative filtering, and the "what if" thinking.
    Last edited by inumbra; 08-21-2015 at 06:57 PM.

  13. #13
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,888
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Well there's only way to find out for sure, and that's by actually dying yourself. I don't recommend that, stave it off for as long as ethically possible. Some dudes are looking into "head" transplants, I solemnly swear to annihilate anyone who resorts to that option. Your life is not so important and so vital that another life has to end in its prime to postpone your date with the Grim Reaper. Hell, it probably wouldn't even be for that, they'd switch bodies on every whim because hey, why not? I hope the victim in that situation had a chance to fight it. If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back. If you must resort to "wetwork" at least have the balls to undertake the duty yourself. Team up with the hitman you hired, 2 is better than one. You can even hire a 3-sniper kill team for 800k U.S dollars. Tag along! Learn the trade, that way you'll save the 800k next time this issue pops up, you'll only need about 5k for a good spotter the next time someone has to die.

    But I digress, I'd gladly defend you from the stoners. So long as the spells don't involve forcibly extracting human blood or other such blatantly immoral practices you have every right to cast whatever spell you wish. I don't think it'll do anything but hey, I could be wrong. For all I know mages and vampires are real, I just haven't found sufficient proof for that yet. You can bet I'll be casting like a mofo if I get confirmation on how to properly cast a verifiably working spell. Probably won't be able to tell of my success though, for I got a sneaking suspicion that shit is guarded with lives if it exists.

    You know how to into magic? Keep that shit to yourself novice, or else. Signed, the Magus Association and their merry band of Enforcers. Oh, and don't piss off the Holy Church, they got dudes trained specifically on how to kill mages. Holy relics ain't nothing to fuck with and neither are the Vatican's secret kill teams .


     





    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  14. #14
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,936
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I read recently about how at Duke University, some students are pushing for these "trigger warnings" and are objecting to one book being assigned on their course because it "compromises" their religious beliefs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34047150

    Apparently university courses are expected to compromise themselves because a student has social or political views that run contrary to one element of the course.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •