Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Law of Attraction/

The following is an interview with a woman who once was attracted to the Law of Attraction, followed its precepts, and then found it "not attractive". From what she says, I would also call it the "Law of Whatever Pleases You".
    http://catholicexchange.com/new-age-...gerus-part-two

I agree with the interviewer, that believing you are in charge of everything that comes into your life because you have drawn it to yourself is "an almost overwhelming burden for a person to carry". Yes.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    The following is an interview with a woman who once was attracted to the Law of Attraction, followed its precepts, and then found it "not attractive". From what she says, I would also call it the "Law of Whatever Pleases You".
    http://catholicexchange.com/new-age-...gerus-part-two

I agree with the interviewer, that believing you are in charge of everything that comes into your life because you have drawn it to yourself is "an almost overwhelming burden for a person to carry". Yes.
    It's true though, which is why humanity invented things like religion to deal with it. The modern age has broken most people, crushed them under the weight of materialism and a trillion lies about how the world works and what makes you "happy" and shit. Things are fucked up behind the veil presented to you by the Mainstream Media and the Public School System in the west. All is not as it seems, look real good and hard at yourself and the lives of others. They ain't happy. They may have millions of bucks or a harem of hot babes at their beck and call, but they ain't happy. Everyone else says they're happy, but deep down you know in your gut that they're full of shit.

In the end, only you can make you happy. It's a decision, you must decide for yourself that yes, you are happy. Once you do that things will start falling into place. It ain't because of vibrations and shit though, it's because after you do that you'll stop inflicting bullshit on other people as often as you were. The less you give a fuck (up to a point mind you, don't wanna go full retard and become a psychopath/narcissist), the happier you'll be. Insults? They roll off your back. Bad relationships? They'll stop happening because the halo effect will cease to affect you. Working a crap job you hate? Eh, you'll work it for as long as necessary to pay off the debts, then you'll give that toxic boss the finger because you don't need a shit job to buy a bunch of shit you don't need to make you happy, for you are already happy.

If you're religious you can thank God that yes, he wants his creations to be happy and made it rather easy in the end. This makes sense, he's God after all, he's ultimately a pretty cool dude who gave you a wonderful opportunity by creating this universe. You matter, you serve a purpose, get to serving it. You'll be much happier once you do, and happier still, once you've made the decision.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought those philosophies that teach that you have complete control over your life are a bit fruity. External reality tends to bite hard and does throw up roadblocks that just can't be overcome. Magical, overly optimistic thinking can just cause things to get worse if not tempered with realism.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, like obviously she didn't use it right. you can't be all literal with these things. (sorry, i didn't actually read it)

my thoughts on the law of attraction: when you imagine your future and the things you might want, you do tend to point yourself towards it... you take advantage of things that would help you create it unconsciously. other than that, i've not really seen much to be convinced that you can use your powerz to do direct things, like get the universe to give you a free cup of coffee every day, although this really does depend (i mean if someone at work regularly brews coffee and shares it with everyone, of course you can manage this...). although if you are going in a direction you like, naturally it may seem the universe is "working for you" or whatever.

i do feel there are "things" in the universe to connect to. i just don't know that it works in the literal way 'the secret' seemed to suggest. also i could poke holes in most of the stories in 'the secret' rather easily. i think the danger of desire, of course, is getting lost in it. maybe "light magic" is like buddhism (do not desire, do not attach) and 'the secret' is *dark magic.* one should always be careful when using "dark magic." it can reel you in more easily than you can "wield" it.

going on to state the obvious, light magic is generally dull... you don't get your heart's desires, you don't get ultimate power or wealth, you don't get any of the big attractions. instead you find behind the scenes a greater inner peace and happiness than you ever would have dreamed, if you can give up your grasping. (pretty depressing really)

the allure of dark magic is it promises you can have it all. you want money? a swimming pool? the perfect mate? a mansion? fame? well, you can have it all. ask the dark power and ye shall receive. but the dark power doesn't grant everyone these things... most simply get lost in their own desires and delusions (which the dark power wants, because it feeds off that shit). but if you are clever enough, you may be able to gain more than you would lose.

dark magic is also more deceptive and shadowy. it doesn't necessarily mean evil at all. if those who were drawn to it were all evil, there would be little in it for "the dark powerz." most of the "practitioners" are mostly "good" and so they may believe that it is light they are dabbling in. and it doesn't somehow "damn their souls," not really. its effects are more subtle. dark magic is also easier to practice. light magic, on the other hand, most of the practitioners spend all their time meditating... light magic comes with extreme difficulty.

dark magic offers a fast solution out of the problems of reality and suffering. it is, by nature, more tempting.
    Last edited by marooned; 08-21-2015 at 02:03 AM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm highly scornful and wary of New Age things, but to have the attitude of subjecting key areas of your life as being ultimately out of your own personal control is not helpful. It is best to be as informed as you reasonable can, and take responsibility for your own actions as far as possible.

I've cited before (I think) on this forum the case of the organisation "Alcoholics Anonymous", where one of the 12 steps that members are expected to accept being "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.". Research has shown that members of the AA are actually more likely to increase binge drinking compared to a similar control group that had not received help from an organisation, psychologists etc.: the reason being that adopted such beliefs makes AA members far less inclined to take responsibility for their own actions, thinking that "god will sort it out, I cannot help myself".

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    I always thought those philosophies that teach that you have complete control over your life are a bit fruity. External reality tends to bite hard and does throw up roadblocks that just can't be overcome. Magical, overly optimistic thinking can just cause things to get worse if not tempered with realism.
    Gotta love that Stockdale Paradox, the most "optimistic" POWs are, tragically, the first to die. They give up once that magical "release" date in their heads turns out to be, well, not the case. Survival is 90 percent mental, you must want it more than anything, but not too much as well. Yeah, you must desire survival, yet you can't be too optimistic. It's gonna take awhile, get real nice and comfortable with that fact. Those that do stand a chance, those that don't, well, we never found the bodies.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I agree,
    I tend towards thinking we are in charge of our actions or what we choose to do, given our constantly changing circumstances. Emotions can be part of that too because sometimes being negative isn't helpful or being positive is needed in order to continue through frustration and suffering, but it seems silly to believe that being positive all the time will somehow make everything positive. There are forces outside our control, even if we have some influence on them.
    good bye

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another day, another sucker, another dollar.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.