Thread: Motivation

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Motivation

My bf got a sport cam which he wanted to affix to the side of his motorcycle helmet. I was shopping on the phone for watercolor brush laying on the bed and watching or listening to him talk about this gizmo and what he can do with it. He was working on that while I was on about my bizz. When he finished he said "Thans babe. You gave me the motivation to get this done." I stopped. Lifted my head out of my phone and thought. .."what? How did I do that?" Seriously all I did was listen to his plans and shop for brushes. Is motivation communicated subconsciously?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

People like when other people take an interest in what they're doing. Hell, sometimes you can even just get motivation by having an audience whether they care or not.

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    My bf got a sport cam which he wanted to affix to the side of his motorcycle helmet. I was shopping on the phone for watercolor brush laying on the bed and watching or listening to him talk about this gizmo and what he can do with it. He was working on that while I was on about my bizz. When he finished he said "Thans babe. You gave me the motivation to get this done." I stopped. Lifted my head out of my phone and thought. .."what? How did I do that?" Seriously all I did was listen to his plans and shop for brushes. Is motivation communicated subconsciously?
    Time for a reality check:

Is listening not a part of communication or have I got it all wrong?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably his way of saying all the things you have done prior in which he never mentioned before, but is doing so now.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    People like when other people take an interest in what they're doing. Hell, sometimes you can even just get motivation by having an audience whether they care or not.
    Oh. An audience....seems like such an extravert concept. I usually tell things not to get an audience but because they are interesting info...so I talk to inform.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it's because you were being a typical compassionate female listener to his str8 male motorcycleness or something. So it felt complementary to him?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

also: He gave himself motivation, but you as a typical passive straight female™ reflected his own motivation back to him and made him feel it in a reverberated way.

Funnily enough, Ashton (and also a Fi-vauler and also a heterosexual) used the same type of explanation to explain what he enjoyed in relationships once...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Oh. An audience....seems like such an extravert concept. I usually tell things not to get an audience but because they are interesting info...so I talk to inform.
    Is that exclusive to extroverts do you think or just a social thing?

I'm beginning to realize that my main source of motivation sprouts having an audience. Whenever I'm alone I think who cares... My motivation when I'm alone solely comes from my idea that I will eventually show someone else.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

i don't understand why people even talk about motivation as if it matters. all that matters are actions.

inspiration i get.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    i don't understand why people even talk about motivation as if it matters. all that matters are actions.

inspiration i get.
    Hmm, the old what vs why?

I think they're pretty similar. I guess inspiration connotes a more primal level of reasoning, something natural that arises in a moment of insight. While motivation is more artificial and created by your ego.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoka14 View Post
    Hmm, the old what vs why?

I think they're pretty similar. I guess inspiration connotes a more primal level of reasoning, something natural that arises in a moment of insight. While motivation is more artificial and created by your ego.
    motivation
    məʊtɪˈveɪʃ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    a reason or reasons for acting or behaving in a particular way.
    "escape can be a strong motivation for travel"

Games Word of the Day Video Blog: Words at Play My Faves
    POPULARITY

SAVE
    Dictionary
    inspiration
    noun in·spi·ra·tion \ˌin(t)-spə-ˈrā-shən, -(ˌ)spi-\
    : something that makes someone want to do something or that gives someone an idea about what to do or create : a force or influence that inspires someone

: a person, place, experience, etc., that makes someone want to do or create something

: a good idea

it seems that motivation is about someone else controlling you, having an external locus of control, and inspiration is just ideas.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoka14 View Post
    Is that exclusive to extroverts do you think or just a social thing?

I'm beginning to realize that my main source of motivation sprouts having an audience. Whenever I'm alone I think who cares... My motivation when I'm alone solely comes from my idea that I will eventually show someone else.
    You are LSE?
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm on a super motivational high
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was about to start a thread about motivation but decided to do a search of the forums first and came up with this. It is strange but talking to an EII friend in the fall I too got motivated to make some plans for next year and it wasn't anything specific that she said, yet just talking it out (she was mostly listening) i got motivated by it. It is interesting but maybe motivation (which is usually associated with FE, as in a motivational speech etc) occurs very differently in Fi/Te quadra. I'd be interested in reading any other experiences with this.