Thread: Inappropriate job interview questions

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inappropriate job interview questions

So, basically, a while ago this job interviewer straight up asked if I was a pedophile.

Before the interview, she made me take a weird personality test which had this question ==> (Paraphrasing) "have you ever felt uncomfortable looking at a beautiful child?"

I put down "strongly disagree," but I'm still not sure how I should have answered. On the one hand, being uncomfortable could make me seem like I was secretly ashamed of being a pedophile. On the other hand, being too comfortable could have its own unflattering connotation.

I'm not making this up. You can't make this shit up and it still bugs the crap out of me after all these years.

Please help me, I'm PoLR: I don't have a strong sense of personal preferences, so everything I say about myself is either strategic or random. What should I have told her?
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

TIM
    &*self
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That she's a terrible interviewer and what the fuck.
    salmon

Jazz, Kisses, & Cigarettes Pink's Avatar
    TIM
    Between the Lines
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.. Is this a position that involves working with youth?

Fi polr or not, that interviewer sounds pretty fucked up

B e a u t i f u l S i l e n c e ・ 。☆・

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it was a blue collar job (construction) for students.

She also asked me if I had any covert intention to unionize the workers. I told her that I didn't know anything about class warfare and that I was just looking for a job. She smiled and said "good."

The whole thing felt scripted and mechanical. After the round of questions, we went over my personality test. Turns out I'm an enthusiastic leader.

Might or might not be related, but as I was getting up, I noticed a Scientology poster in her office.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, there actually isn't a single good way to answer that question.

Sounds super fucked up.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some questions which are actually illegal to ask, but there are exceptions. For instance, you can be asked if you have infectious diseases if you're applying as a cook. As you already said, there is no good way to handle such a question, either way. Just saying it's an illegal question you won't answer would actually be okay, but not too clever if you want the job.

I don't know how it is in the US, but when I read about the subject, I found out that you can tell them whatever they want to hear without being held legally accountable for your lies afterwards. So you could tell her that you don't know how to spell "union" and still organize with your coworkers when you start your job the next day. Of course, she won't be too happy about that.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    What should I have told her?
    you should have said, "Why? do you have kids?"

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post

Let me guess, there was no background check for the position, right? To me, it sounds like she was trying to save $30 from doing a proper background check, by asking some of the questions during the interview that would have showed up on a background check, in order to try to save her butt and also save a few bucks.
    This was my suspicion as well...maybe its questions they ask everyone who comes through the door. Alternatively, maybe they've had issues with those kinds of ppl before so they double check on those things

@xerx I think you did fine...the one thing i would change is just not to beat yourself up about it.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Might or might not be related, but as I was getting up, I noticed a Scientology poster in her office.
    lol the Scientology bit might explain everything! maybe that personality test was one used by Scientologists when trying to convert people. it has no real scientific validity, and it's rigged to always give you terrible results that show how mentally screwed up you are, and is evaluated by people who don't necessarily have proper training in psychology. maybe you took this crazy test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Capacity_Analysis
    The OCA is licensed to Scientologist-owned companies through the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE). It has been used for a variety of purposes, most commonly employee screening. ... It has often been used without alteration, but has also been issued in modified versions; for instance, MasterTech markets the OCA with minor changes and calls it the Personnel Potential Analysis Test.
    breakdown of the test: http://www.xenu.net/archive/oca/oca.html

also, Scientologists who run their own businesses likely use WISE, a business management system developed by L Ron Hubbard (and which they sell through consulting firms even to non-Scientologist businesses). i wouldn't be surprised if this scripted interview and this business' practices were following LRH's writings about how to run an organization.

definitely do not worry too much about this xerx, don't listen to the crazy Scientologists

Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, basically, a while ago this job interviewer straight up asked if I was a pedophile.

Before the interview, she made me take a weird personality test which had this question ==> (Paraphrasing) "have you ever felt uncomfortable looking at a beautiful child?"

I put down "strongly disagree," but I'm still not sure how I should have answered. On the one hand, being uncomfortable could make me seem like I was secretly ashamed of being a pedophile. On the other hand, being too comfortable could have its own unflattering connotation.

I'm not making this up. You can't make this shit up and it still bugs the crap out of me after all these years.

Please help me, I'm PoLR: I don't have a strong sense of personal preferences, so everything I say about myself is either strategic or random. What should I have told her?
    That's the very right answer you gave. A beautiful child should give one a sense of peace, about the goodness of creation. And some of that beauty comes from being loved and well taken care of. All good things. Nothing that should make any normal person feel uncomfortable in any way. You feel troubled by the question because it is a troubling one.

...She also asked me if I had any covert intention to unionize the workers. I told her that I didn't know anything about class warfare and that I was just looking for a job. She smiled and said "good."...
    Once I interviewed for a teaching position that traveled between two schools, so I was interviewed by two principals. The first went really well. The second principal's interview seemed to go well, too, until he asked me if I knew any teachers in his district in my field. I enthusiastically named the one I had been subbing for recently, who was always friendly to me when I was in his school, and told positive things about his program. The look on his face was not good. Later, the first principal called me, sounding regretful, to tell me I had been his top pick, but not the top pick of the other principal, and that they had discussed it, and I did not get the job. And later, I found out the teacher I had named was active in the teacher's union, and through the union was currently in some battle with the administration...
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Man, a thread about pedophiles, union organizers, Scientology and HR departments. It's all here, folks! No where else!

I've always thought it odd that employers think it is great that the workers have to bargain with one entity (themselves), but they don't think it is so great if they themselves have to do the same thing with the workers. Ah, unbridled capitalism. So refreshing, so clarifying, so right, if you're lucky enough to be born to the right parents. And if you're not, well, that's your fault.

I have also had some experience with HR departments, and it got so bad that if I had to go through one to get a job, I just moved on. It seemed to me that the meanest, craziest people accumulated there, and they saw their job as making sure that no one who threatened them intellectually, professionally or psychologically was ever going to get hired. This set a very low bar for those who did get hired. In the interviews, HR people would sometimes make an attempt at a smile, and you could clearly see the crazy inside. I used to think that the portals that Alien Zombies would use to gain a foothold on Earth would be the bombed cities after the apocalypse, but no, it turns out to be HR departments.
    Once a company gets an HR department, that company is lost to the human world.

And now this thread has Alien Zombies! But don't thank me. I was Xerx-inspired.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    snip
    hmm, thanks for all that info. That definitely puts an interesting spin on the whole experience.

The second part of the personality test was even more bizarre. It consisted of about 25-30 kindergarten-level questions. The catch, WHICH YOU WERE NEVER TOLD BEFOREHAND, was that you had to follow the instructions literally... and by literally, I mean with the same level of creativity as a lobotomized computer.

Questions like:
    - Write the fifth letter in this sentence, then write your name.
    - Which of the following pictures is an apple? Put a checkmark next to the correct answer.

If any part of the checkmark overlapped with the apple picture, the answer was wrong. It had to be fully next to (ie. isolated from) the picture. She related to me -- in all seriousness-- "horror stories" of people who put a checkmark directly on top of the picture.

Write meant write in cursive, contrary to the popular understanding of the word, which is as permissive as fuck in either direction.

I was in the ideal state of mind that morning and ended up getting them all except for the cursive question. But if there was any company that was straight-up looking for a lobotomized drone, it was that one. When I got up, I didn't even take the bus. I just walked home in disgust.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@everyone

I'm super busy with work, so I can't answer everyone, but I generally do read all your posts and the likes / constructive posts (I treat them 100% interchangeably) are all real. Every single one of you means more to me than my own family. (seriously though, it's hard to be less likable than my family)
    Last edited by xerx; 07-30-2015 at 05:09 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I was Xerx-inspired.
    aha! Xerxspired.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i probably would have told her the questions were inappropriate or possibly illegal and walked out. i wouldn't want to have to work with the likes of her.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would have told her that the only thing I feel like fondling is that childish questionnaire. Then apply elsewhere. Doesn't sound like a person I would like to work for.

stronger, faster, weirder
    TIM
    SLE 8w9-2-5 SX/sp
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    i probably would have told her the questions were inappropriate or possibly illegal and walked out. i wouldn't want to have to work with the likes of her.
    The famous last words of an SEI naively strolling out from the office of her dispassionate LIE warlord conflictor.

R.I.P.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    The famous last words of an SEI naively strolling out from the office of her dispassionate LIE warlord conflictor.

R.I.P.
    it's not really naive. asking those kinds of questions in an interview shows a lack of ethics and integrity on the part of the employer. if they are unethical in hiring practices, what else are they unethical in? and do you really want to soak in that pile of shit for a year or two when there are far more ethical employers out there?

even when i was terrified of becoming homeless i left a job for ethical reasons. i didn't have enough money for rent and i didn't have any other jobs lined up, but i left because i'd tried to to address the lack of ethics with my supervisor but she wouldn't fix it. my emotional upset at the matter got to the point i just couldn't stay there. so for me, it's not really even a matter of being stuck in an unethical situation for that long, because i know i won't be able to tolerate it for long anyway (so there's no point in starting). people might do things i disagree with and maybe i can't do anything about that, but i don't have to help them along the way. also having to work with people i despise reaches an unbearable pitch pretty quickly.
    Last edited by inumbra; 07-30-2015 at 06:17 PM.

stronger, faster, weirder
    TIM
    SLE 8w9-2-5 SX/sp
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    it's not really naive. asking those kinds of questions in an interview shows a lack of ethics and integrity on the part of the employer. if they are unethical in hiring practices, what else are they unethical in? and do you really want to soak in that pile of shit for a year or two when there are far more ethical employers out there?

even when i was terrified of becoming homeless i left a job for ethical reasons. i didn't have enough money for rent and i didn't have any other jobs lined up, but i left because i'd tried to to address the lack of ethics with my supervisor but she wouldn't fix it. my emotional upset at the matter got to the point i just couldn't stay there. so for me, it's not really even a matter of being stuck in an unethical situation for that long, because i know i won't be able to tolerate it for long anyway (so there's no point in starting). people might do things i disagree with and maybe i can't do anything about that, but i don't have to help them along the way. also having to work with people i despise reaches an unbearable pitch pretty quickly.
    It was supposed to be a joke, if it wasn't obvious.

Creepy-bg

have you gotten paranoid yet that maybe you are a pedophile? maybe just for a second?
    Last edited by bg; 07-31-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    have you gotten paranoid yet that maybe you are a pedophile? maybe just for a second?
    i feel uncomfortable looking at children

Creepy-bg

there could be a settlement in this.
    Last edited by bg; 07-31-2015 at 01:29 PM.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    It was supposed to be a joke, if it wasn't obvious.
    i know.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot that's funny, I probably would have nervous laughed about it. And said that's a really weird question, then a simple, indignant "No" to show annoyed and troubled surprise with a tone of disdain ( to further myself , in her eyes, of the possibilty). The question alone would feel like an accusation, so after playing it down with the laugh and the self convincing its not true, my heart rate would increase and I would "lean into" the interview more depending on how much I wanted the job. Best for me not to question the questions while I'm in the moment because that would trip me up for further questions. Each moment is take it as it comes. Afterwards would be time for reflection. I would probably also feel inferior or superior to her from that point on depending on how I precieved I had handled myself, how much the job and succeding the interview meant, and how little or how much I thought I "had her".

I would probably think it was a fucked up question from a crazy bitch.
    "If this to end in fire, then we should all burn together. Watch the flames climb higher into the night."

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"