View Poll Results: Value?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Socionics and typology are troll sciences to me

1 5.26%
  • Socionics is a fun theory that I apply mainly in jest

3 15.79%
  • Socionics aids slightly with self exploration than it has to do with intertype relations

5 26.32%
  • No comment

2 10.53%
  • Socionics is a moderate factor in how I view myself and has nothing to do with others

1 5.26%
  • Socionics is a major factor in how I view myself and to a lesser degree others

4 21.05%
  • Socionics is inextricably a part of myself and a moderate to strong predictor in others

3 15.79%
  • Socionics forms the basis by which I view myself and humanity

0 0%

Thread: How much value do you place on socionics (and typology in general) in your life?

TIM
    void
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much value do you place on socionics (and typology in general) in your life?

Self explanatory w/ poll.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is a moderate factor in how I view myself,
    And to a lesser degree others.
    Mostly its handy when trying to figure out if differing types of information focus might be interfering or causing a problem.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

it did it's job at a time, helped for self exploration. but i know who i am now, and no longer care how that fits within "types" or "relationships", beyond some drifting pondering from time to time.
    Last edited by bg; 07-16-2015 at 09:38 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It serves as a basis for self (and others) exploration and nothing in and of itself. It's also a good basis for getting to know more about other people.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rule of thumb is Jung/socionics seem to be better for understanding some high level differences in how people are built/where they're coming from. But to get high level insights, you need to think high level -- one can't feed more or less arbitrary trait-theoretic observations into such a system and get much out.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

on average, i find socionics to be at least moderately influential when i'm dealing with understanding myself and others. it's one of the many factors i end up taking into account in evaluating personal interactions & relationships. unlike other typologies, socionics probably isn't something i'll "forget" anytime soon.

(p.s. @ "troll sciences")

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chemical View Post
    Rule of thumb is Jung/socionics seem to be better for understanding some high level differences in how people are built/where they're coming from. But to get high level insights, you need to think high level -- one can't feed more or less arbitrary trait-theoretic observations into such a system and get much out.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment I am spending a lot of time with socionics trying to understand the Functions.

When it comes to real life application for myself I find it interesting to look a things via a socionics lense. On the other hand I am old enough to know where my strenghts and weaknesses lie. For me to know is easier than knowing how to deal with it. And socionics won't help you deal with it. @Suz you switched your type from IEE to ESE did it somehow affect you?

Concerning relationships I think it helped me to accept that different people have different values (keyword quadra). I think before I got to know socionics I was more often frustrated with people.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can use socionics a lot (and I do) as long as when reality comes into conflict with your application of socionics, you throw out the socionics and go with reality. For instance, socnioncs is always in the background when I decide to actively think about a person or relationship, or even sometimes during interactions vague notions of it will pop up. But I use it primarily to generate hypotheses, and then from those hypotheses I slightly shift my behavior and expectations (which is at least partially something I would do "naturally" anyway) and then if that gets me good results, great! And if it doesn't, just go with it. But when I was like 18 I used to think that I needed to really think about socionics in terms of building a friend group and like... no. I just don't. I have a lot of very close friends that I can't fit into a "positive intertype relation" and I care about that precisely none. So I would say I use it a lot but I don't place a whole lot of importance on the information I generate by applying this theory/set of concepts/set of terms to my experience.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't value it. That's not the word I'd use. I think there's something to it though, people will always use generalizations that are mostly true/size relationships up in archetypes, look at people once and instantly stereotype them and mostly be right.

I don't value it, because on an emotional level socionics feels like this: a black person walks in a bar. And you go up to him, and you keep saying "Hi there, I notice you are a black guy." And that's all you talk about all night long, the fact that the dude is black. Yeah you are right, but you're also being an ass. I don't think socionics people have learned this lesson, that's why it makes me groan. (like the people who take it too seriously or something)

Another way to look at it: Your embarrassing little brother/sister that says true yet embarrassing things about you constantly, going on and on and analyzing you. And ur like 'shut up. Now.' lol
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 07-19-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to emphasize here that Jung's typology more or less was modeling the ego, and that there are a LOT of other factors to someone's brain structure in relation to the 4 functions/8 IE, in terms of how precisely it shows up in a tangible way.

For instance, an overall creative person like Jung naturally forayed a lot into what he considered his nonpreferred function processes, exploring them, and so forth.
    He was often better at most things than a lot of people around him -- even in areas of lesser preference like sensation. His core attitude to sensation by his own admission was inferior. Perhaps while he could theoretically process various truths of the sensory side, simply because he was a curious many sided individual, the core ego attitude would seek constantly to frame their significance in a different way.

In fact, a lot of the onesidedness of type could occur not because the ego was really that one-sided but because the person identified with a persona role, which happened to be the easiest source of cheap psychological rewards, which of course were often most easily won through the preferred/dominant.

Anyway, that's the important thing to keep in mind when looking at portraits and so forth. The ego is a very internal thing being measured -- it's a kind of core attitude based on the preferred function-attitudes. I emphasize that one's actual raw strengths and weaknesses may be very hard to predict from the ego type, but often these are just things we feel are given to us, that just happen to be a part of us -- not our core/main attitude.
    Again emphasizing, as strongly intuitive as Jung was, which shows in how he approached some of his theories, it is not true that he didn't foray quite a bit into sensation.

Things like predicting how good someone is at basketball based on whether they're Ni or Se base for instance will turn out horribly wrong often enough that one might as well not bother.

Type occurs somewhere between your core experience of consciousness and the attitude you form towards it (which is why it's both cognitive and psychological).

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    At the moment I am spending a lot of time with socionics trying to understand the Functions.

When it comes to real life application for myself I find it interesting to look a things via a socionics lense. On the other hand I am old enough to know where my strenghts and weaknesses lie. For me to know is easier than knowing how to deal with it. And socionics won't help you deal with it. @Suz you switched your type from IEE to ESE did it somehow affect you?

Concerning relationships I think it helped me to accept that different people have different values (keyword quadra). I think before I got to know socionics I was more often frustrated with people.
    I'm not sure i'm understanding your question... did the type change somehow affect me? Not at all. I am me, was, am, always will be. Did studying socionics over time affect me to make the switch? yes.

The type change didn't affect my IRL intertypes either, if anything, it made them make more sense. I haven't been one to place set types on everyone in my life, if only because i have low confidence about selecting the correct one.

Please clarify your question if i did not interpret correctly.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it can be useful in understanding some extreme types of people. But for the others, not so much. Maybe it's better as an exploratory aid, rather than a sociological theory; but not sure and don't really give a shit to argue that either way.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    Yeah I find Socionics to be really important. I don't naturally relate to people, so when I do I usually let them know.
    That seems confusing to me, considering that you self-type Fi-dom. How do you reconcile this?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi is all about feeling relationships, how we relate to things, people, and what we feel about them. Therefore we're not spending so much time wondering what our and peoples' emotions mean and how we can connect with them in such a way, but on the more empirical content (Te) of their words and how to understand what those mean to them, and what those mean to us on a deeper level. It is Subjective Feeling. Basically as an Fi type it is easy for me to notice how different I am from others because focusing on a relationship has oftentimes nothing to do with conduct, but on recognizing how unique individuals are, their special power, and staying true to oneself in the realm of this empirical content (Te.) Fi is very much about authenticity and relating to the overall humanistic feeling process, more of a process of understanding natural feelings of people, imo, not so much about relating to people in a deep way. Half of the time Fi is about not relating to people, but observing our differences ("Distance" Aushra called it) and for some ExIs that's very much the case I've observed.
    Thanks this was very helpful!

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I don't value it. That's not the word I'd use. I think there's something to it though, people will always use generalizations that are mostly true/size relationships up in archetypes, look at people once and instantly stereotype them and mostly be right.

I don't value it, because on an emotional level socionics feels like this: a black person walks in a bar. And you go up to him, and you keep saying "Hi there, I notice you are a black guy." And that's all you talk about all night long, the fact that the dude is black. Yeah you are right, but you're also being an ass. I don't think socionics people have learned this lesson, that's why it makes me groan. (like the people who take it too seriously or something)

Another way to look at it: Your embarrassing little brother/sister that says true yet embarrassing things about you constantly, going on and on and analyzing you. And ur like 'shut up. Now.' lol
    I sorta disagree. It's NOT like that, but it should be. One person sees a black guy where another person sees a pink clown out of the corner of their eye.

Fi is all about feeling relationships, how we relate to things, people, and what we feel about them. Therefore we're not spending so much time wondering what our and peoples' emotions mean and how we can connect with them in such a way, but on the more empirical content (Te) of their words and how to understand what those mean to them, and what those mean to us on a deeper level. It is Subjective Feeling. Basically as an Fi type it is easy for me to notice how different I am from others because focusing on a relationship has oftentimes nothing to do with conduct, but on recognizing how unique individuals are, their special power, and staying true to oneself in the realm of this empirical content (Te.) Fi is very much about authenticity and relating to the overall humanistic feeling process, more of a process of understanding natural feelings of people, imo, not so much about relating to people in a deep way. Half of the time Fi is about not relating to people, but observing our differences ("Distance" Aushra called it) or just staying true to our inner image or ideal and what we truly love in life, while, unfortunately ignoring people, and for some ExIs that's very much the case I've observed. Sometimes we spend most of our lives trying to figure out our own feelings that we lose track of people.
    what.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mainly have a technical interest in socionics, and while I don't think it a great theory/model, it's nice to observe the ontology of a quadra from a few expressions after some beers with a friend. over time my interest in it has shifted from collating every interpersonal nuance that ties back to x function to just vibing with the trends implicit/embedded in my experience, and going fluidly from there.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ouronis sorry I couldn't clearly type out what I meant on this phone but I am speaking in the context of being in a relationship with somebody and in the context of relating to them.that Fi is not so much about the conduct of the relationship nor about vibing and connecting, which I find Fi-PolRs to be great at, but most importantly understanding where the both of you come from and staying true to that, therefore we see Fi supersede the boundaries of communication in its own authenticity and due to the subjective nature of Fi, understanding and respecting one another on a deeper level
    I guess what I don't understand is "where the both of you come from," and why you're saying Te has something to do with staying true to a perception(in the sense of why this perception).

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I guess what I don't understand is "where the both of you come from," and why you're saying Te has something to do with staying true to a perception(in the sense of why this perception).
    in fact, i was just going to ask @Person to explain further what he means by "where one comes from"...

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I'm not sure i'm understanding your question... did the type change somehow affect me? Not at all. I am me, was, am, always will be. Did studying socionics over time affect me to make the switch? yes.

The type change didn't affect my IRL intertypes either, if anything, it made them make more sense. I haven't been one to place set types on everyone in my life, if only because i have low confidence about selecting the correct one.

Please clarify your question if i did not interpret correctly.
    You understood it excactly how I ment it.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Socionics doesn't help fix people neither does it change their life experiences. It helps people realize what they offer their immediate social construction which is their relationship with their SO and then outer circle. What it also does is make it okay for a person to be a certain way. What they accept from their relationships in terms of information helps establish harmony but also creates a damn nice environment for boyh.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the day, it helped quite a bit; realising that I'm an Ni dom was a huge boon, because suddenly I 'got it'.

I've been fortunate enough to work with some eminent figures within the field of type, and so have learned a great deal. However, I now find myself moving further and further away, because I have everything I need. It'll probably be there ticking away in the background for a long while to come, but eventually it'll fizzle out. Surprising, because up until recently I was actually planning to make a career out of it. Or, at the very least, bolt it on to a career in coaching, or similar. I find myself moving in an entirely new direction, though.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

i can't for the life of me put too much value in it... it all seems so disjointed and i can't really fit it into normal interactions.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

How much value do you place on socionics (and typology in general) in your life?
    Zero.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw CPig donating monies to Socionica for "research".

DONT believe his LIES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it nice for understanding others' motives (think HA and PoLR) and generalized preferences (serious-merry indicates what kind of environment people prefer, process-result indicates what kind of work some people would prefer, etc.), and helping others understand themselves so that they can make better choices. So, I can tailor my responses or actions with regards to certain people or places. For example, my dad is a process type and serious type and he greatly enjoys cleaning our apartment and making sure that it is aesthetically pleasing for him; on the other hand, I'm a result type and I couldn't give a shit about what it looks like as long as it doesn't get in the way of my interests or makes it harder for me to get my work done. I know that we have to make a compromise because both of us can't have our way, even though we both think we have the best way, without making the other very upset which will cause one of us psychological stress and thus reduce productivity in other areas of life, and that is something we both don't desire. I've learned to let him show me the way because once he gets caught up in the process of cleaning, he follows through all the way and will be focused entirely on cleaning. This is easier for me because rather than expending time and energy through arguing with him about which way is best--I know I'll never convince him of any other way haha--I just let him have this victory. However, he concedes at times because he realizes that we both have to win sometimes. Of course, these realizations can be made without Socionics, and I'm sure that I made this one before learning about Socionics; however, Socionics can make it easier to have these realizations, thus making it easier to communicate and act with others.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Socionics to me in interesting in that some people I've run into PERFECTLY match socionics descriptions word for word, while others seem to made up of bits and pieces of a whole range of different types. It would be foolish to fully judge everything based on socionics as would any science without hard proof. However, at the same time too much matches up too real life to completely discard it. Typology is a work in progress. I believe with time socionics or something similar has the chance to explode. As of now we just have filter the good and the bad info ourselves and use common sense.