Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: this is how Te works

  1. #1
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default this is how Te works

    I went to the art store to get watercolor paper years ago and there are a ton of choices. I got confused between quality and price. I can be both practice and frugal yet I appreciate quality very much. I called up my cousin and asked which one should I get because too many choices confuse me and dead lock me into not choosing anything and just giving up and walking away. She said "get one of each [paper and cotton] and try them out. See which you like best."
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 08-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain AFTER it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this".

    as its social/ethico-emotional counterpart, Fe has much in common with it.

  3. #3
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    This approach works really well when buying a car or a home too. Just buy two and see which one I like best. Was the Te coming from the person telling you what to buy? I am not sure how that is specifically Te.

    I usually quickly filter out what is ugly or cheap looking when there are a lot of choices then choose the best quality for the lowest price, unless it is something I really really want then I will ignore price, or whether it is practical, if I can afford it, and sometimes even if I can't.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    seems to me Maritsa's thing about possibilities referred to Ne, and putting things to the test seemed to correspond to Te (in her mind)

    I guess the way I see duality is it's targetting the kind of information you don't essentially absorb into your ego perspective/try to address with it, more or less because they'd be exactly opposite paths, so it doesn't feel so much like an opposition so much as it feels like exactly the things the ego least considers but in theory could benefit from.

    So e.g. paying extra attention to feeling states/moods doesn't make much sense, since usually to decide the stable ethical relation between two entities (as one's main agenda), one is reasonably aware of this sort of thing, and is trying to reframe any such data in a more Fi sense. Introverted logic is something that should check out were the ego perspective successfully attained (there should be no contradiction between the ethical relation and the logical relation between things, even if one emphasizes the ethical one).
    It might seem irrelevant to someone seeking one's static relation to a body of objects (including which one is most relevant to oneself) to test out the object's objective functionality.
    But doing so can expose stuff one might've been blind to, and even semi-bolster that Fe-ignoring (by seeing new functionalities, one might uncover affects it has on one's emotional state one was as yet unaware of -- and wouldn't have explored, since a priori most Fe perspective gets channeled in a more Fi direction).

  5. #5
    DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alps
    TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This approach works really well when buying a car or a home too. Just buy two and see which one I like best. Was the Te coming from the person telling you what to buy? I am not sure how that is specifically Te.

    I usually quickly filter out what is ugly or cheap looking when there are a lot of choices then choose the best quality for the lowest price, unless it is something I really really want then I will ignore price, or whether it is practical, if I can afford it, and sometimes even if I can't.
    Water colour papers = pretty low expanses = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's used you have almost the same reselleing price = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's not used = you loose a lot of money by reselling = trial and error is bad option
    Home you have a lot of expanses plus a lot of time to invest = trial and error is a bad option

    Conclusion: Very bad comparison

    Note: This is about trial and error and not necessarily buying to of a kind

    You're welcome

  6. #6
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain AFTER it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this".

    as its social/ethico-emotional counterpart, Fe has much in common with it.
    Yeah...and this is logic. I get "I'm logical" every day as in I just do what needs to be done now.

  7. #7
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This approach works really well when buying a car or a home too. Just buy two and see which one I like best. Was the Te coming from the person telling you what to buy? I am not sure how that is specifically Te.

    I usually quickly filter out what is ugly or cheap looking when there are a lot of choices then choose the best quality for the lowest price, unless it is something I really really want then I will ignore price, or whether it is practical, if I can afford it, and sometimes even if I can't.
    It's logic. In the case of a home it's observation of the time. A buyer's market or a seller's.

  8. #8
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Water colour papers = pretty low expanses = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's used you have almost the same reselleing price = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's not used = you loose a lot of money by reselling = trial and error is bad option
    Home you have a lot of expanses plus a lot of time to invest = trial and error is a bad option

    Conclusion: Very bad comparison

    Note: This is about trial and error and not necessarily buying to of a kind

    You're welcome
    Te yummy

  9. #9
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,290
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain BEFORE it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this" if I plan it this way, then this, then this, then this......

    as its social/ethico-emotional counterpart, Fe has much in common with it.
    Great point I very much agree, but I edited it to better follow Te in obsessive form from what I have seen...mostly in ESTjs. The endless pre planning, when also mixed with polr Ni is just irritating to no end.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  10. #10
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I question your logic of things maritsa. (it's not on attack on your person though or anything like that) It just seems you view anybody you like that shows genuine consideration for you as being a Te person or something, its like socionics give ppl the ability to 'fanwank' into traits they like about other people into functions they value or something. allows you to twist logic to suit your perception of the relationship.

  11. #11
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,290
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I question your logic of things maritsa. (it's not on attack on your person though or anything like that) It just seems you view anybody you like that shows genuine consideration for you as being a Te person or something, its like socionics give ppl the ability to 'fanwank' into traits they like about other people into functions they value or something. allows you to twist logic to suit your perception of the relationship.
    Maritsa's story in this particular thread is spot on, what's your issue?
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  12. #12
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Maritsa's story in this particular thread is spot on, what's your issue?
    He just wants to make me out to be someone that I'm not. ..that's his problem

  13. #13
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,290
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hes got a good point does it apply to you?
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  14. #14
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Water colour papers = pretty low expanses = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's used you have almost the same reselleing price = trial and error is a good option
    Car if it's not used = you loose a lot of money by reselling = trial and error is bad option
    Home you have a lot of expanses plus a lot of time to invest = trial and error is a bad option

    Conclusion: Very bad comparison

    Note: This is about trial and error and not necessarily buying to of a kind

    You're welcome
    The comparison was me being facetious since I was curious about how she saw the Te in her friends advice. Was the person LSE or were they SEI...would it make a difference if it was an SEI who gave her the same advice or does she only see it as Te because it came directly from a Te valuer?

    I would also suggest the same (trial and error) to a friend for something inexpensive. I do it myself. Incense as an example. I like certain brands because of quality, and how long they last, but sometimes I will be in a novelty store with a friend and they ask me about it like I am an expert. I tell them what I like but then I suggest they buy a few of each and see what they like since we are different.

    I learn by trial and error all the time. I read product reviews before shopping and like Marista I can get overwhelmed by too many choices so I try to research things on my own before I buy them. I will also ask other people for their input but only people I trust and I don't always follow their advice. It surprises me when I go into stores and people walk up to me and ask me about a product I am looking at just because I am using my phone as a barcode scanner. I probably would not ask a stranger for advice like that in public.

    There was not enough information in the op for someone unfamiliar with socionics to understand so maybe some additional information on how this is an example of Te might have been helpful to someone new. I understood what she was aiming to convey from the beginning. I was just trying to pull more information out of her. She is a teacher of socionics after all.

    Thanks.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  15. #15
    strangeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    in the proverb of the man who moved a mountain by carrying away stones one by one, Te is what carries the stones. there is rarely extensive designing or premeditation to what it does, it just contributes to a goal a piece of effort that it can muster here and now, acting on something right in front of it. in its most obsessive form, it may decide to move the mountain AFTER it moved stones as in "hey neat, i can do this".

    as its social/ethico-emotional counterpart, Fe has much in common with it.
    I agree, but I'd also add that Te is much better suited to multi-tasking and adaptibility because it's on the fly. It may not premeditate as much, but it does know the process of things and has no problem doing things differently in order to complete a process, to deal with unexpected problems, or to do multiple things at once. The Ti leading types I've known generally get frustrated by this, as if everyone is ignoring what they think is a best way to do something. And granted, they are often right, but not always.

  16. #16
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Maritsa's story in this particular thread is spot on, what's your issue?
    If I give an example but I say mine is about Se but don't give any details other than I am in bed and my friend calls me and tells me I want you to get out of bed and meet me. I tell them I am tired and want to sleep longer but they say "no, now, I want to talk now, so come over". I get up and go meet them.

    What functions are we using? Some people might know how that could be interpreted as Se and others might be scratching their heads. I probably would add in a few details like our types and why I chose to get out of bed for them specifically but if it was someone else making the same request I might have gone back to sleep. I am not questioning why she sees it as Te to annoy her although I am sure she sees it like that from past experience. I just prefer if someone is going to make a thread stating this is how something works that they make it clear as to why this is how it works. I think anyone who puts themselves in a teaching position should be able to answer a few questions about their subject and not get defensive about it. If I want clarity I am going to ask but from my experience with her she does not want to answer. Maybe if I paid her she would share more of her knowledge.

    This just reminds me how thorough others have been when starting threads about how something works. @Ananke comes to mind and she does not get defensive when asked for clarity.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  17. #17
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,290
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    If I give an example but I say mine is about Se but don't give any details other than I am in bed and my friend calls me and tells me I want you to get out of bed and meet me. I tell them I am tired and want to sleep longer but they say "no, now, I want to talk now, so come over". I get up and go meet them.

    What functions are we using? Some people might know how that could be interpreted as Se and others might be scratching their heads. I probably would add in a few details like our types and why I chose to get out of bed for them specifically but if it was someone else making the same request I might have gone back to sleep. I am not questioning why she sees it as Te to annoy her although I am sure she sees it like that from past experience. I just prefer if someone is going to make a thread stating this is how something works that they make it clear as to why this is how it works. I think anyone who puts themselves in a teaching position should be able to answer a few questions about their subject and not get defensive about it. If I want clarity I am going to ask but from my experience with her she does not want to answer. Maybe if I paid her she would share more of her knowledge.

    This just reminds me how thorough others have been when starting threads about how something works. @Ananke comes to mind and she does not get defensive when asked for clarity.
    Come on aylen does your point really matter? if you can remember I've pressed you for better more substantiated answers in the past as well. I think bnd was flaming maritsa which is fine whatever she's been taking shit for years.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  18. #18
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Come on aylen does your point really matter? if you can remember I've pressed you for better more substantiated answers in the past as well. I think bnd was flaming maritsa which is fine whatever she's been taking shit for years.
    Apparently it matters enough to me to make it. If you pressed me for something in the past I don't remember but I will attempt to clarify better in the future. I know some things can't be clarified to the satisfaction of everyone but I do not claim to be a teacher.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  19. #19
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I would also suggest the same (trial and error) to a friend for something inexpensive. I do it myself. Incense as an example. I like certain brands because of quality, and how long they last, but sometimes I will be in a novelty store with a friend and they ask me about it like I am an expert. I tell them what I like but then I suggest they buy a few of each and see what they like since we are different.

    I learn by trial and error all the time. I read product reviews before shopping and like Marista I can get overwhelmed by too many choices so I try to research things on my own before I buy them. I will also ask other people for their input but only people I trust and I don't always follow their advice. It surprises me when I go into stores and people walk up to me and ask me about a product I am looking at just because I am using my phone as a barcode scanner. I probably would not ask a stranger for advice like that in public.
    I resonate a lot.

    This goes for other things too, not just product shopping -- i will often not even bother asking certain people a certain question because i wont necessarily take their answer seriously, and might even get further misguided by their answer. So i try to be judicious about who i ask what (sometimes i do misjudge though).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  20. #20
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Come on aylen does your point really matter? if you can remember I've pressed you for better more substantiated answers in the past as well. I think bnd was flaming maritsa which is fine whatever she's been taking shit for years.
    you know i like you wacey but I have to point out that just because maritsa's been taking shit for years doesn't make it "fine, whatever" to just keep on doing it indiscriminately and undeservedly.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  21. #21
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,290
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    you know i like you wacey but I have to point out that just because maritsa's been taking shit for years doesn't make it "fine, whatever" to just keep on doing it indiscriminately and undeservedly.
    sweet heart I was standing up for her.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  22. #22
    Breaking stereotypes Suz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a chatbox diet
    TIM
    IDK
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    sweet heart I was standing up for her.
    OK as long as you were...it wasn't clear to me from that post...but if you were.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

  23. #23
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't like it when people pick on Maritsa either. Disagreeing with her in a discussion =/= picking on her.

    I just think Nyx explained Te better, that's all.

  24. #24
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default


    i thought I'd give an example of my Te seeking. soooo....we were at taco bell and i hear my bf shuffeling me around. he says "come stand here, move here, don't stand there..." we eat and as we were walking out i head to the door where we entered from and have no notice of his location or actions. He calls out to me "Maritsa! this way!" He was exiting through another door. i became so confused and embarrased. he said "you don't notice things around you. you're walking right past me" I said "well that's how we entered and I figured that's how we would exit" He said "but you have to look anound you, you were walking with your head down" I said "I was in my thoughts and following a certAin logic that we would exit where we entered BESIDES IT IS YOUR JOB TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND US SO DON'T start a criticizing mode" naturally when I say things in such a way LSE become embarrased of their harsh statements and unethical comments and he thought that made sense so he appologized.

    Nailed that!

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^admit that this is y u guyz keep coming back to this forum
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  26. #26
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalinoches View Post
    ^admit that this is y u guyz keep coming back to this forum
    we love each other

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    TIM
    ESI 684
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post

    i thought I'd give an example of my Te seeking. soooo....we were at taco bell and i hear my bf shuffeling me around. he says "come stand here, move here, don't stand there..." we eat and as we were walking out i head to the door where we entered from and have no notice of his location or actions. He calls out to me "Maritsa! this way!" He was exiting through another door. i became so confused and embarrased. he said "you don't notice things around you. you're walking right past me" I said "well that's how we entered and I figured that's how we would exit" He said "but you have to look anound you, you were walking with your head down" I said "I was in my thoughts and following a certAin logic that we would exit where we entered BESIDES IT IS YOUR JOB TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND US SO DON'T start a criticizing mode" naturally when I say things in such a way LSE become embarrased of their harsh statements and unethical comments and he thought that made sense so he appologized.

    Nailed that!
    How about you look at your surroundings? Really...was there an exit sign present as well perchance? Or that evac sign whatever.

    ...really, how about looking at environment? It's a wondrous thing you know .

    Those were my first thoughts, so sorry if they were harsh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •