Thread: Dreams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is something I have been wondering myself.

I ask alot of people about their dreams. I find that types tend to have dreams that involve alot of . My old boss(ISFp) told me about how he has alot of dreams about really gross things, or really weird things, but they always involve vivid details. He told me about how he had a dream about this really fat guy, and talked vividly about the fatness. I notice alot of ISFp types dream about similar things. Alot of death seems to be in their dreams as well... alot of blood and gore. And ISTp I work with has alot of dreams that involve things like this, but there is usually alot of conceptual stuff about them, deep metaphors and almost "archetypal" themes about mothers and flowing dresses. weird stuff.

My sister, and ESTp, had a dream where she was riding on a horse and she only had one leg.

My mother, and ENFj, has alot of dreams involving symbolism. Like a man made of gold that grabbed her arm and "left a bruise" when she woke up. ENFj's tend to start to believe really irrational things like that. Did it really leave a bruise? judging by my experiences with my mom, probably not, but who knows, those ENFj types are very spiritual. It's true in her universe.

My father, an ESTj(i used to think him an ESFj) had a dream that the U.S., Canada, and mexico were united into "the united states of America Canada and mexico." very delta.

INTj types I have met tell me about dreams that involve alot of structure. people placed strategically. One I know had a dream about a sort of slip and slide, and when you go down the slip and slide to a certain point you win $128.33 or some really specific number like that. She also told me I was the only one in the dream which got to the end of the slip n' slide thing, which was filled with mud. I didn't know wether to be flattered or not, but I sure could use the money. :wink:

My INTj ex, as I have said before, had a dream where she was hanging around with the characters from looney toons. I rarely, if ever, meet cartoons in my dreams.

Now an ENFp I know has alot of really creative dreams. i think types have some very large scale, random dreams because they involve alot of associations. He tells me how he will be in a river washing piles of hair, or he will be in a sewer with weird little animals made out of lard or something. Alot of gross stuff, but amazing emotion to it all, from my impression.

Most of my dreams, to me anyway, read like stories. I had one where I travelled to a city called "New Danbury" which was sort of like the real Danbury, but it was all fake and everything had generic names. In the buildings everything was second hand, like some sort of flea market, and all of the people were unusual. My brother and sister and I went into a small cabin that was really well decorated. It started to move, so we opened the curtain and realized it was a train car, and lining the tracks were barbed wire fences. We wound up at a different part of danbury, where manlike monkeys were constructing some sort of palace, which is in real life an Ethan Allen Inn or something. It was flat out weird. In the end I wound up entering the center of this megastructure, which I had a map of to guide me. IT was sort of like a video game, all of these saws and people would come out of these gigantic circuit board walls and try to kill me and my family, so we had to shoot at them, sounds lame but it was pretty intense while it lasted. At the center was a giant red rock, called "Sulfur Rock", which was somehow very important.

But I definitely think that dreams are type oriented. The ego becomes unconscious, and in Freuds theory it has to fend off the invasions of the id into the subconscious and conscious mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant the ego remains conscious, the body ego falls asleep. sorry about the contradiction. Should have logged in.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily trivia:
    Along with food and diseases, dreams are the most common topic for small talk.

I dream about catastrophies, emergency situations, crime, murder, war. They are basically nightmares except that there is no fear of the situation. I feel I am in constant control despite all the dangerous elements.

My real nightmares involve domestic situations involving food and / or disease. How neat is that?
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I learned how to ski, I would constantly dream of skiing. It felt so real. A blast!

Anybody ever have flying dreams? I used to always have these. I would get to a point where in the dream I could actually will myself to fly and I would experience the physical sensation of flying.

or ??
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES!!! I have them often. I just go, "wow, this is easy, I can fly!" its an amazing feeling. I usually run out of momentum though, and I start to coast towards the ground. Sometimes I can pick myself back up, sometimes I can't. Its always sort of like pumping yourself on a swing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    When I learned how to ski, I would constantly dream of skiing. It felt so real. A blast!

Anybody ever have flying dreams? I used to always have these. I would get to a point where in the dream I could actually will myself to fly and I would experience the physical sensation of flying.

or ??
    I too used to be able to have lucid dreams but it got boring so I decided to stop doing it.
    I don't think the skill of lucid dreaming is related to type, though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes

or ??
    I too used to be able to have lucid dreams but it got boring so I decided to stop doing it.
    I don't think the skill of lucid dreaming is related to type, though
    Boring?
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waddles W
    YES!!! I have them often. I just go, "wow, this is easy, I can fly!" its an amazing feeling. I usually run out of momentum though, and I start to coast towards the ground. Sometimes I can pick myself back up, sometimes I can't. Its always sort of like pumping yourself on a swing.
    Exactly! Although I haven't had one of these in years.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm an INTj. I find that my dreams involve a lot more acting on than I would do in real life. Sometimes I dream about people attacking me at my PoLR and then having to defend myself. There's also a lot more in my dreams than in real life. It seems like dreams are a subconcious way of bringing out some of my weaker functions.

Like Waddlesworth said, my dreams also involve a lot of random associations. Lots of .

My dreams involve lots of vivid images but unfortunately, I remember very little of my dreams when I wake up. The most common themes that occur in my dreams:

*Searching for something or someone

*Forgetting to go to a class or an exam or not being to find out where its located. Or discovering that I overslept and I'm late for an important exam, appointment, etc. I'm normally a very conscientious person in real life.

*Rushing to get somewhere or finish something but find out that I'm falling further and further behind.

*Getting the answers to questions I find important. Sounds very INTj. Unfortunately, I almost always wake up before the answer comes.

*Discovering new room(s) in a house. Not sure why this is such a common theme in my dreams but it is. Maybe because I like to explore and discover things? ?

*People telling me I can't do something. Could be something like singing or sports. Then either proving them wrong or getting really angry. PoLR?

And some of the stranger things in my dreams:

*There was this soup that someone was making and it looked good but taking a closer look at it, it had things like hairs, insects, and dirt.

*All the clocks in my apartment were a different time and I had no idea what time it was.

I also had a debate with my mother about dreams. I believe that dreams are an important part of what goes on in our subconscious mind and there is a reason why we have the dreams we do, even if we aren't fully aware of it or can't articulate it well. My mother on the other hand, thinks dreams are just completely random with no rhyme or reason and inherently have no meaning. I believe dreams may seem random but there is some rationale in there. I think my mother is an ESFj or ISFp

Does anyone here experience lucid dreams? Once in a great while I might experience this but almost always when I'm dreaming, I'm not aware that I'm doing so. The exception is when I'm first falling asleep, I get these snippets of random images- some quite cool and psychedelic by the way- and I know I'm drifting off to sleep when this happens. Does anyone else experience this when drifting off to sleep?

Laura, INTj

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes
    Boring?
    Te-Ni wants to mainly observe systems, be a watcher. Once a phenomenon is understood and mastered you can move on to another system. I _do_ have an ENTJ friend who does lucid dreams constantly, but he uses it to test ideas he has for fantasy fiction. My line of work is a bit more practical so I can use my dreams for fun, not work. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, you know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my dreams lately involves with school(probably worried about my grades so much) and being in like super hero world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never am watching myself in a dream. I am always inside myself.

Often I can't remember visual details, I remember more like impressions and emotions.

Some dream threads I've been having for years. It's like another chapter on a dream thread gets opened and there's this whole history of the dream scene that I can only remember when I'm in that dream thread.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herzblut, that is an awesome dream, i wish i could have a dream like that! freakin' epic.

I notice I have alot of emotion in my dream and it is usually attached to a past romance. I usually find peace in alot of dreams, or agony. But yeah, like blaze said, its sorta the memory, or the "mood" if you will, that tends to stick.

I do tend to have dreams that attach to one another, like a certain part of my mind, like a "thread", as blaze was saying. Some cool stuff happens. the world is always dominated by a mood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waddles w
    Herzblut, that is an awesome dream, i wish i could have a dream like that! freakin' epic.

I notice I have alot of emotion in my dream and it is usually attached to a past romance. I usually find peace in alot of dreams, or agony. But yeah, like blaze said, its sorta the memory, or the "mood" if you will, that tends to stick.

I do tend to have dreams that attach to one another, like a certain part of my mind, like a "thread", as blaze was saying. Some cool stuff happens. the world is always dominated by a mood.
    We sleep quite a bit of time. I began dreaming more a half year after my father passed away. In a way not like before after that type of depression faded out. I tried to save it but it was too much for me to deal with. There is a page http://www.angelfire.com/space/wisdom/dreams.html where I tried to write in english to an american person I knew.

*I dream in color but colors are often quite pale. Not always. May be very clear colors too.

There are different contents. As most people people think, there is some dreaming composed by todays happenings although not so much for me. Then, there are the metaphors.
    *Trains, airplanes
    *Being late to a lesson in school and not finding the classroom, quite stressing.
    *I dream of people who I know but just a few.
    *Dreamt of people who I have never seen irl or elsewhere (unless there is a photographic memory) whos faces I see all clearly. That can be frustrating, to dream about talking with such a person and then waking up with feelings still there and the person is gone.
    *Dreamt of airplane crashes for many years. I feel a very huge sadness as I watch them crash. Last evening I was walking outside and I saw a real airplane and I had a weak weak memory of last nights dreams, that I was in a plane, trying to control it. Not sure though. The only dream inside a plane was last year and I supposed it was about a friend of mine. Her mother was the pilot and she missed a bumpy hill and crashed into it but me and this girl-friend survived. In reality, there are complex problems in her family.
    *Dreaming of being "light-footed". My feEt donīt really touch the ground. Feeling light and I want to take big jumps.
    *Dreaming of flying. Many times Iīm in a room where my old classmates are. I fly in the room and I want them to see me but they donīt.
    Or Iīve been flying higher, in free air. Not often but gradually higher and higher. It took over 20 years to get above the roofs.
    A while ago I dreamt, or thought I was awake because I "saw" the room I was sleeoing in, it was bright, and yet my eyes were closed, and I was rotating to the left. Something pulled me. I felt fear and rotated back. Then I thought of visiting a friend whos voice I heard and I felt being pulled again. Then I heard a faint but very clear roaring, sounded demonic. It scared me so I woke me up. I walked up and felt for reading in a book. I thought maybe I will find an advice. I grabbed one that was around me which I had never read. I opened it randomly with closed eyes and put my left index finger on a page. I read beneath my finger "You can never travel that far away that you still arenīt near yourself".
    Isnīt space to put it all down. But it seems to make sense. Dreamt of steps, ladders and even the "old wise woman" who once stopped me from using a ladder. She said look you cantīuse it. The lower steps of the ladder was ok but I noticed they were just fakedly fixed steps higher up, and the old woman told me I just couldnīt step on them so I had to take another long way.
    *Being in a room which has been locked. But there is a window. Or in a corridor with closed doors.

Here comes a very interesting example of trying to get into the subconscious mind?
    One day I thought this myself. The subconscious communicates metaphorically so if I try to give a message to it with a
    metaphor, I may dream something new. I focused on having keys, on the image of keys.
    In the following night I dreamt of a talent award where I was suppose participate. (In reality composing and making music is a "dream" since a long long time. I have al the gear but something else has stopped me sofar). My song was a Genesis or Phil Collins song. Then I walked away with someone to a corridor, and I went into a room. There was a little child, probably a boy 2 or 3 years old. I know that child was someone but who? Not me bc the hair was different than mine. He looked at me. then nomore.

*A few years back I dreamt several times of being an undercover in the ww II Germany. Always a fear for being revealed. One dream then was taking a bath with my irl wife. A woman with a jewish look sat between us, sitting at me. Later in the dream I saw her again, standing in a doorway, with her hair cut and naked. She was leaving and I saw her lips whisper something.

*What has seemed to be telepathy dreaming. Same as someone else at the same time. Very special dream with a clear metaphorical content.
    Iīve "heard" that persons voice several times in slumber, being tired or after waking up. And other persons. Iīve got images too, that I have later had confirmed. It all appears to be either weird or strange. And there is more.
    Iīve been meditating more lately. It seems as if facts or simple metaphors come up quite easily. As words, feelings or images.
    Wonder why and if I have to be an INTJ or how to do the best of it.

Creepy-

That's quite interesting. As an INFJ, I find most of my dreams involve myself, but usually as a bystander. For instance, last night I had a dream that I went to an abandoned K-Mart, where my mother purchased five dolls at three dollars each. I went to the books section (typical of an INFJ) and opened up the cover of a book, only to find two green hands. It had something to with Romeo and Juliet...At any rate, my dreams are pretty unrealistic. Some of them do make sense, especially when they involve people I KNOW. Their actions in the dream usually involve the way I analyze their actions and how I discern their true motives. Just my 2 cents all!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not sure my type but it's a thinking type and i've experienced a number of dreams in which i am being insulted about something concerning my behavior or how i treat people and they make me feel really shitty and depressed when i wake up. I also have a lot of dreams about the end of the world, an insane amount of dreams about the end of the world.