what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Default Personality disorders and type/stackings

Lately I've been wondering if there is any relation to personality disorders and enneagram type & stacking. For example, I wouldn't be able to see anyone who has borderline personality disorder as anything but sx first (intense turbulent emotions and constant need for stimulation). It would also be kind of difficult to view someone with narcissistic personality disorder as not having so in their stacking. I was wondering if personality disorders would be examples of the unhealthy extremes our natural instinct stacking could be capable of getting to.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

cool post. i agree that people's natural propensities (given their type/stacking) can become unhealthy in such a way that they would result in personality disorders.

i can see sx/sp instinct also being subject to narcissistic personality disorder - instead of seeking their narcissistic gratification from a multitude of other people (like an so-instinct might), they will focus their energies on one single person (e.g. a codependent) and "suck them dry", so to speak.

i think hoarders probably tend to have strong sp-instinct and/or Si-Te ego. strong sp gives the focus on survival. hoarders often become hoarders after experiencing major trauma that may be internalized as a life-threatening experience. weak Ni = fear about the future leads to overcompensating in preparing for it with material goods. Caregiving and Fi-seeking can also lead to animal hoarding (animals can't reject your love.)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    cool post. i agree that people's natural propensities (given their type/stacking) can become unhealthy in such a way that they would result in personality disorders.

i can see sx/sp instinct also being subject to narcissistic personality disorder - instead of seeking their narcissistic gratification from a multitude of other people (like an so-instinct might), they will focus their energies on one single person (e.g. a codependent) and "suck them dry", so to speak.

i think hoarders probably tend to have strong sp-instinct and/or Si-Te ego. strong sp gives the focus on survival. hoarders often become hoarders after experiencing major trauma that may be internalized as a life-threatening experience. weak Ni = fear about the future leads to overcompensating in preparing for it with material goods. Caregiving and Fi-seeking can also lead to animal hoarding (animals can't reject your love.)
    Strong and/or valued Ne could also lead to hoarding. Keeping stuff around just in case you might want/need it later. (I primarily hoard books, notes, and hobby supplies. My interests cycle and change and I try to get the best books/info/tools on a subject I can, so that it'll be available to refer to as needed.)

I've been told that I'm not sp in part because of the borderline-hoarding and clutter it causes, even though I've also expressed frustration and annoyance by the clutter.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Lately I've been wondering if there is any relation to personality disorders and enneagram type & stacking. For example, I wouldn't be able to see anyone who has borderline personality disorder as anything but sx first (intense turbulent emotions and constant need for stimulation). It would also be kind of difficult to view someone with narcissistic personality disorder as not having so in their stacking. I was wondering if personality disorders would be examples of the unhealthy extremes our natural instinct stacking could be capable of getting to.

Thoughts?
    Borderline: likely E4 but can also be E2, 6 and 7.
    Narcissistic: tend to social first, E3 more likely, E7 also likely.
    Antisocial: E8 is associated with psychopathy/sociopathy, also E3; E6 counterphobic can also have this disorder.
    Histrionic: E2 and E4 more likely.
    Schizoid: E5
    Avoidant: E6 phobic.
    These are the ones I remember now.

TIM
    IEE-0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have depression, borderline personality disorder, PTSD.

I usually have sp/sx stacking. Though I've recently switched from 4w5 to 6w7. I'm also focused on survival, always. Emotions come last, and that's probably why they're so turbulent when they happen. I have no idea how to handle even mild "threats" to my sense of safety.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You raise a good overall point, which is that too often we see in enneagram discussions where people assume that what they're discussing in enneagram, etc, are just ideas floating within that isolated typology, when in reality the same ideas are likely appearing elsewhere. It helps to, when one is talking of a certain psychology, just realize it is what it is, to some extent, whether it appears in personality disorders, enneagram, socionics, or wherever.

This is why to really deliver a good system one must ask what the relevance of those concepts to the system itself is -- that's the sense in which the system's version of those concepts differs potentially from other versions. It's near impossible to totally get rid of the overlap, and more importantly, there's no reason to.

I think one other point comes to mind... I often wonder how exactly to differentiate the point of stackings vs the point of the main types as sometimes I find it's done in a haphazard way. The sense I'm getting is that the instincts are much closer to raw emotional impulses which aren't formulated around some kind of well-defined complex/worldview.