Seriously Judicious Emotivist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10 foods to stop eating...

I think this list of ten not-to-eat foods is very useful. I guess being a Negativist, I have always favored lists of the "bad stuff to avoid", especially when wanting to get healthier than I am. As long as I trust the source, anyway. I am not sure of the sources here but for sure this list is all true from what else I have read. (Most of it's common sense).

If you are only getting started on better diet, this is a good place to start. If you find this is hard, you can at least completely avoid the things on the list that you don't like much anyway. And for anything you love, just substitute as much as possible.

The only thing hard for me is processed meat. I already avoid deli meat, except for the nitrate -free, and that's expensive, but its not a big deal because we don't use it often. But I have gotten chintzy about paying the extra money for nitrite-free bacon, so, I guess I'll start again. We pretty much just have it on Sundays anyway. My husband likes sausage. I need to find a nitrate-free sausage he likes.

Oh, and of course High Fructose Corn Syrup we all know to avoid even though its not on the list.

Also not mentioned here, but of course we all know white sugar is best saved for occasional occasions.

My naturapath tells me ALL grains as well as the processed sugar should be avoided, and that's a challenge, but I constantly work on this. He also tells me certain common food combinations should be avoided:
    -no meats and veggies in the same meal,
    -no starch and legumes with meat protein.

I do this and his other recommendations as much as possible. Its a challenge, but I feel satisfied and energized when I follow. I still love potato with that special-occasion steak, but I save it for next day's lunch. I find the meal doesn't make me so full, so its better anyway. (my husband likes his potato with the steak, and I am not going top press him on it)...

When ever I get off routine/fall off the wagon that my naturapath recommends, I feel lousy. I get back on it and feel great, very quickly. So its worth the effort!

The article reprinted below is from here: https://www.yahoo.com/health/get-it-...773255238.html

TEN FOODS TO AVOID

1. Processed Meats

In a 2013 study published in BMC Medicine, researchers concluded that of 26,344 deaths studied, high consumption of processed meat was responsible for 3.3 percent of them. Apart from being packed with preservatives and sodium, processed, packaged meats are high in nitrates, which have been linked to stomach cancer, says Jim White, R.D., spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and owner of Jim White Fitness training studios. And many processed meats are shockingly low in protein, giving your cold-cut sandwich little if any redeeming qualities, says dietitian Georgie Fear, R.D., author of Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss.

2. Margarine

Billed as a healthy alternative to butter, margarine’s trans fats, which put you at risk for heart disease and diabetes, are far worse than the natural saturated fat you’ll find in butter, Fear says. Does your margarine’s label say, “0 trans fat.” That might be a flat-out lie. The Food and Drug Administration currently allows food manufacturers to claim their products are trans-fat free as long as they contain less than 0.5 grams of trans fat in each recommended serving. While you’re tossing out your margarine, you should also take a look at the labels on any frozen food and bakery items you have in your kitchen. Many contain margarine as an ingredient, Fear says.

3. Sugary Cereals

Millions of guys start each and every day in one of the worst ways possible. High in sugar and low in nutrition, sugary cereals set you up for fat gain and a 3pm slump. Meanwhile, it’s basically impossible to eat a recommended serving of cereal, which, for many brands, is just ¾ of a cup—not even half a bowl. “The sugar and crunch produces a dopamine surge in the brain, which urges us to keep going,” Fear says. And since most guys don’t buy cereal in single-serving packages, it’s easy to eat five or more servings in a single sitting. Congratulations, you’ve just consumed three days’ worth of sugar.

4. Fast-Food Burgers

“Ultra cheap food is made from ultra cheap ingredients, and burgers are no different,” Fear says. “Even if you try to minimize the bacon, fries, soda, cheeses, and sauces added to your fast-food meal, the meat in your burger is a far cry from what you’d buy from a butcher. In one Annals of Diagnostic Pathology study, researchers studied eight fast-food brands and found that all of their burgers contained between 2.1 percent and 14.8 percent meat. The rest was water, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves, fat, cartilage, and, in some, even parasites. Gag.

5. Donuts

“Considering that refined grains, sugar, and deep-fried foods are all independently unhealthy, you have to admire the donut for falling into all three categories,” Fear says. And, as if the 400-plus calories of sugar and fat (including trans fat) per serving wasn’t bad enough, some food manufacturers and donut shops use nanoparticles such as titanium dioxide, which the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

6. Microwave Popcorn

Does anyone eat popcorn because they are actually hungry? Either way, microwave popcorn doesn’t have much going for it in the nutrition department. All of its trans fats pretty much outdo any benefits its fiber holds. Meanwhile, some brands contain diacetyl-containing butter flavorings, which when breathed in, can cause life-threatening lung disease such as bronchiolitis obliterans, according to research from Brown University. And, in many popcorn manufacturing plant workers, it has. While some manufacturers have subbed out diacetyl with other chemicals, study researchers believe many of them may be just as harmful. If you have a hankering for popcorn, pop it yourself on the stove or in an air popper.

“My local food bank has stopped taking these,” White says. “If your food bank doesn’t want them, they have to be bad. I honestly think they are one of the worst foods you could possibly eat.” These are typically high in sugar, trans fats, and low in protein and fiber. Plus, they have minimal vitamins and minerals. And just look at the ingredients list. It’s staggering that food manufacturers could even manage to fit all of those ridiculously long chemical names on the package.

8. Blended Coffee Drinks

By itself, coffee can be great for you. But your blended beverage probably contains more sugar and fat than actual coffee. “Guys can easily consume a quarter of their daily recommended calories in a single drink,” White says. And that’s in a drink—it won’t even fill you up. Plus, by spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels, it guarantees a sugar and energy crash that will leave you raiding the snack drawer 30 minutes later.

9. Bagels

As far as we’re concerned, any refined carb can suck it. But, if we had to pick the worst offender, we’d have to go with bagels. Not only are their carbs refined, leaving you with little more than sugar in bagel form, they can weigh in at 400 calories each, White says. And that’s before you slather them in cream cheese or cut them in half and fill them with bacon (see #1!).

10. Soda

Right now, soda is arguably public enemy number-one—and for good reason. The list of reasons you shouldn’t drink the stuff are staggering. Among them, you’ve got weight gain, diabetes, and heart disease, White says. But if it hasn’t stopped you from drinking soda, let us ask you one thing: do you smoke? Of course not, right? Well, according to 2014 study in the American Journal of Public Health, drinking soda can age you by as much as smoking. It’s something to think about.

>>>
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aaand... the slightly hidden no.7
    7. Toaster Pastries
    “My local food bank has stopped taking these,” White says. “If your food bank doesn’t want them, they have to be bad. I honestly think they are one of the worst foods you could possibly eat.” These are typically high in sugar, trans fats, and low in protein and fiber. Plus, they have minimal vitamins and minerals. And just look at the ingredients list. It’s staggering that food manufacturers could even manage to fit all of those ridiculously long chemical names on the package.

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with that entire list... great list!

the nitrates and stomach cancer link association is weak though, just so you all know... that's still under debate.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Good, because I never eat any of the other shit on this list except processed meats once and awhile for breakfast.

How people drink soda is beyond me. It's so fucking gross.
    As long as it's just once in a while, any of those foods listed is ok... just once in a while.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid grains? Don't eat meat with vegetables? Most of those are obviously unhealthy, but I think avoiding grains or meat-with-vegetables is absurd.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Good, because I never eat any of the other shit on this list except processed meats once and awhile for breakfast.

How people drink soda is beyond me. It's so fucking gross.
    I have avoided soda for a long time. Its not worth the calories and I would never drink diet. However, I have discovered Stevia soda and I get that once in a while for a treat.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Avoid grains? Don't eat meat with vegetables? Most of those are obviously unhealthy, but I think avoiding grains or meat-with-vegetables is absurd.
    Well this is my own thing and has nothing to do with the list I posted here. (And I am the only one at this house eating like that).

Oops, no, I did not say "no vegetables with meat"! No starch with meat. Potato=starch. Meat with veggies, like greens or salad - that's my daily go-to. Avoiding grains - I would not call it absurd, but, its big challenge for me. (Just as avoiding meat is a challenge others take up). It helps me to focus on how much better it makes me feel.

I am motivated to try it because everything else my Naturapath has said that I or my loved ones need has worked so fast and so astoundingly well, and he is quite firm about the efficaciousness of this diet, so its hard for me to ignore (I tried though!). When I go off it (like I did this winter - holiday-eating started the downhill slide) I feel increasingly low-energy, while craving all the wrong foods, and when I get back on it I quickly feel better and energized. So, that's all motivation for me.

If you are curious about the what/why of the for meat/starch and grains, here is the detail:

"Do not eat starch as in potatoes, squash or legumes with animal protein.
    Digestion begins with the sight, smell and thought of the food we are about to eat so that saliva and digestive fluids are ready when the meal begins. Protein and starch require opposite solutions for fermentation. Eating them at the same time causes opposing solutions to mix and neutralize stopping the digestive process and causing buildup of methane and other harmful toxins."

"Do not eat grain or seeds. Period.
    We simply cannot break open the cellular structure of insoluble fiber through chewing and the three hours of our digestive process in the stomach, making the nutrients in the grains and seeds completely unavailable to us. Since this is so, eating grain requires excessive insulin in the effort of digestion which creates a very high acid environment, acidosis, causing an optimum opportunity for Candida overgrowth as well as several other equally disturbing and undesirable conditions."

That's from here (scroll down): http://bodyelectrician.com/-l9NMDBQo...-/healthydiet/