Thread: Misconceptions you've had about other places / countries

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Misconceptions you've had about other places / countries

I'll start:

I'd heard that European countries were the whitest countries on the planet, so I used to think that "Redneck" meant someone so pale that you can see the arteries under his neck.

Because I'd never seen blond hair before, when I first saw very light-haired Western women, I assumed that their hair turned gray in their teens / twenties.

Discuss.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to think pickles were actually normal sized cucumbers that had to be shrunk in consecutively smaller vats of pickling juice until they shrunk down to the right size.

Creepy-bg

when i was very young i thought that people who spoke other languages were trying to speak English, but really bad at it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

When I was a child I moved to the US from Greece. I thought that Americans were special because they accepted people of all races and religions to join their special country. I felt I was going to be someone important when I grew up because we were allowed into this country.

They really sold me on it since I did not want to move here and leave my extended family there but I imagine I have a better life now than I would have if I had remained in our small village. I am grateful anyway. This is all hearsay since I do not really remember any of this. I was told I rambled in Greek to everyone on the plane that I was going to move to America and it was going to be some kind of big adventure. It has been but probably not how my young mind imagined it to be.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW