Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a narcissist? Take the test and find out.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    this is consistent with what i've read as well.
    I know, my ex was never aggressive or abusive in a physical or verbal way.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    You know what, I have been thinking about this before...it feels like being in relationship with narcissists somehow rubs off on you in behavior and thinking patterns over years. I've also noticed this at work - I've been working with a bunch of seriously fucked up NPD's for years and I feel like you become more full of yourself and cut-throat just for the sole reason of survival of the fittest. If you're not on your A game and constantly observant of office games and how to survive the back-stabbing, you get stomped on. So I agree these are very unhealthy environments. Probably why all people in Hollywood or politics increase in douchiness over time, even when they were naive in beginning : )
    I totally believe it.

You're an amazingly strong woman to have put up with that kind of environment without breaking down.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, my ex was never aggressive or abusive in a physical or verbal way.
    NPDs are abusive emotionally, verbally and non-verbally, but often in very subtle ways that accumulate over time, but very damaging to the recipient's psyche. They also subtly manipulate to make it seem like the recipient is the bad person, and if it goes on long enough the recipient actually starts believing it. Physical abuse can also co-exist but doesn't have to.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

yep i totally hear u darya on a bunch of points you made there. Actually, as far as your narcissistic traits -- could it be possible that those are just remnants of narcissistic abuse by your ex? sometimes that can happen.... just something to consider. I absolutely agree with you on spectrum, incidentally, never said otherwise.
    When I think about it that way it just sets off a chain reaction in my mind. Like dominoes falling. It would be like tracing it back to the original narcissist because one could imprint upon others who go on to imprint on others and so on.

This is why I try to take complete responsibility for what I choose to do now and it is a choice. I don't always do the "right" thing but I also try not to do anything that will bother my conscious. I like to check in with it first and think about how it would just make me feel if it happened to me. Doesn't mean I won't get angry and say terrible things to someone but usually I don't even mean them.

I apologize when I think I am the one who hurt someone, except in cases where it is clear that they do not want an apology. I would never force one on someone who did not want to forgive me for whatever bad behavior I might have pulled on them. The only thing to do in those cases is to forgive myself and move on which might even sound narcissistic but holding onto guilt/shame will take years off my life so I choose not to do it.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    When I think about it that way it just sets off a chain reaction in my mind. Like dominoes falling. It would be like tracing it back to the original narcissist because one could imprint upon others who go on to imprint on others and so on.

This is why I try to take complete responsibility for what I choose to do now and it is a choice. I don't always do the "right" thing but I also try not to do anything that will bother my conscious. I like to check in with it first and think about how it would just make me feel if it happened to me. Doesn't mean I won't get angry and say terrible things to someone but usually I don't even mean them.

I apologize when I think I am the one who hurt someone, except in cases where it is clear that they do not want an apology. I would never force one on someone who did not want to forgive me for whatever bad behavior I might have pulled on them. The only thing to do in those cases is to forgive myself and move on which might even sound narcissistic but holding onto guilt/shame will take years off my life so I choose not to do it.
    You being concerned about how your actions affect others, to me, does not sound consistent with the NPD psyche. I am not an expert though, I can only comment on the gestalt i've gotten from interacting with NPDs and from the extensive reading i've done on the subject in the past week or so.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

NPDs are abusive emotionally, verbally and non-verbally, but often in very subtle ways that accumulate over time, but very damaging to the recipient's psyche. They also subtly manipulate to make it seem like the recipient is the bad person, and if it goes on long enough the recipient actually starts believing it. Physical abuse can also co-exist but doesn't have to.
    Yeah, some are more openly abusive and others have their subtle ways, more like brainwashing your perception, that in the end you believe you are just one of the objects in their universe with it's special role, while they are the ones that are entitled to everything and that everything revolves around.

I totally believe it.

You're an amazingly strong woman to have put up with that kind of environment without breaking down.
    Thanks suz : ). I really didn't want to gather sympathy for myself, I'm ok, I just wanted to explain how I see NPD. In my opinion, NPD's can be completely unaggressive, but by definition these are people that have huge sense of entitlement, completely lack empathy for others and are unable to ever love anyone but themselves. And I will stop talking now lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"NPD" is a label for a collection of symptoms used by psychologists to communicate. Psychologists work to connect and understand these people to help them. They don't tag them and write them off. To go around tagging people with disorders (speculatively) and avoiding them... its like a 10 year old has been handed a stun gun. Next thing you know the whole group is rallied against the 'disordered' person (like in the chatbox with hkkmr) - that is a careless use of psychology and was never the intent; it proves you do not actually understand the disorder or the person (what it's really about, how it develops, etc.), you actually do more harm than good this way... it would be better if you did not use these terms at all. If a person is a dick to you, than they're just a dick. Leave it at that.
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-14-2015 at 12:11 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I'm not enough bad-ass apparently unlike OP.

There is no clear indication that you might have a psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.
    You reached, however, 56,25% of Factor 1
    You reached, however, 27,78% of Factor 2
    Score: 16 of 38 [16:9/5/2]

There is no indication that you might have a narcissistic personality disorder.
    Score: 3 of 9

There are strong indications that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.
    [D:6/I:6]

...I echo thoughts of another poster "HPD? Really? There are some traits but I hardly fit in that stereotype."

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NPD is a serious mental illness. Unless you're a deranged masochist or a pathological narcissist yourself, you want to avoid these people like the plague.

The Mind of the Narcissist
    http://samvak.tripod.com/msla.html

Narcissistic Supply and Sources of Supply
    http://samvak.tripod.com/faq76.html

The Narcissist's Victims
    http://vaksam.tripod.com/faq38.html

Victim Reactions to Abuse by Narcissists and Psychopaths
    http://vaksam.tripod.com/personalitydisorders70.html

How Victims are Affected by Abuse
    http://vaksam.tripod.com/abusefamily21.html
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Keep your lifestyles well and intact, ignore the rest. But do feign concern for victims when necessary / use them to justify your apathy.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My results:

There is no clear indication that you might have a
    psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.

You might have certain traits of antisocial or psychopathic personalities but certainly not in a form that would justify a personality disorder diagnosis according to the standards.
    Score: 9 of 38 [9:4/5/0]

You might have certain traits of narcissistic personalities but certainly not in a form that would justify a personality disorder diagnosis according to the standards.
    Score: 4 of 9

There is no indication that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.[D:1/I:0]

You meet 100% of the range of general personality disorder criteria.
    However, there are no clear indications of you having a psychopathic/antisocial, narcissistic or histrionic disorder, so there might be another problem not captured by this test.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, some are more openly abusive and others have their subtle ways, more like brainwashing your perception, that in the end you believe you are just one of the objects in their universe with it's special role, while they are the ones that are entitled to everything and that everything revolves around.
    Ambient Abuse and Gaslighting
    http://samvak.tripod.com/abuse10.html

Abuse By Proxy
    http://samvak.tripod.com/abuse11.html

Quote Originally Posted by SV
    The fostering, propagation and enhancement of an atmosphere of fear, intimidation, instability, unpredictability and irritation. There are no acts of traceable explicit abuse, nor any manipulative settings of control. Yet, the irksome feeling remains, a disagreeable foreboding, a premonition, a bad omen. This is sometimes called "gaslighting".

In the long term, such an environment erodes the victim's sense of self-worth and self-esteem. Self-confidence is shaken badly. Often, the victim adopts a paranoid or schizoid stance and thus renders himself or herself exposed even more to criticism and judgment. The roles are thus reversed: the victim is considered mentally deranged and the abuser – the suffering soul.

TIP: Run! Get away! Ambient abuse often develops to overt and violent abuse. You don't owe anyone an explanation - but you owe yourself a life. Bail out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SV
    If all else fails, the abuser recruits friends, colleagues, mates, family members, the authorities, institutions, neighbours, the media, teachers – in short, third parties – to do his bidding. He uses them to cajole, coerce, threaten, stalk, offer, retreat, tempt, convince, harass, communicate and otherwise manipulate his target. He controls these unaware instruments exactly as he plans to control his ultimate prey. He employs the same mechanisms and devices. And he dumps his props unceremoniously when the job is done.

Another form of control by proxy is to engineer situations in which abuse is inflicted upon another person. Such carefully crafted scenarios of embarrassment and humiliation provoke social sanctions (condemnation, opprobrium, or even physical punishment) against the victim. Society or a social group become the instruments of the abuser.

TIP: Often the abuser's proxies are unaware of their role. Expose him. Inform them. Demonstrate to them how they are being abused, misused, and plain used by the abuser. Trap your abuser. Treat him as he treats you. Involve others. Bring it into the open. Nothing like sunshine to disinfest abuse.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what, I have been thinking about this before...it feels like being in relationship with narcissists somehow rubs off on you in behavior and thinking patterns over years. I've also noticed this at work - I've been working with a bunch of seriously fucked up NPD's for years and I feel like you become more full of yourself and cut-throat just for the sole reason of survival of the fittest. If you're not on your A game and constantly observant of office games and how to survive the back-stabbing, you get stomped on. So I agree these are very unhealthy environments. Probably why all people in Hollywood or politics increase in douchiness over time, even when they were naive in beginning : )
    Is narcissism "contagious"? Can one "catch" narcissism by being in the presence of a narcissist?

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An online forum isn't exactly an environment where mental illnessess can be diagnosed, especially by people without sufficient professional preparation.
    (And I highly doubt people who are professional mental health practicioners would diagnose others online without direct interaction in real life. Sounds like sth going against medical ethics.)

However, a good rule of thumb is to avoid certain people in your life. And you don't really need a mental disorder label to know when sth's off in the interaction.

If smn's abusing your trust or repeatedly trying to manipulate you and/or others or putting emotional pressure on you/others whenever some wish of theirs is not swiftly fulfilled or makes you/others walk on eggshells in fear of having to deal with their vicious behaviour etc. ...or smn's doing all of the above... you might not be professionally suited well enough to decide whether they have a mental disorder or not. (And if they do what kind.)
    You are however well enough suited to decide whether you want to put up with abuse in your life. And someone might not fit the criteria for a mental disorder/illness and yet still be abusive.

And if smn suspects in themselves some traits that might be hurtful towards others - well, human beings are capable of change and self-growth. Depending on what the issue is - this might include smn needing some help from a professional or not.

I don't think all people displaying unhealthy behaviours should be ostracised. Especially if they are aware of things they wish to change about themselves and are working towards it. There are however also people who expect to be accepted and supported by others no matter what sort of abuse they put others under. People who go on hurting others throughout the course of their lives. They are probably unhappy themselves, which is a shame. But they also leave a trail of other people - traumatised by them along their way. Such people are best avoided if possible imo.

Basically, you have the right to protect yourself, your mental and physical well-being from malicious influences.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    And you don't really need a mental disorder label to know when sth's off in the interaction.
    No, but it helps to be informed and knowledgeable. Both in order to identify and be able to more effectively deal with what is going on.

You are however well enough suited to decide whether you want to put up with abuse in your life.
    The problems with this are addressed in the articles I posted. When it comes to abuse, things are not as clear-cut as to generalize and assert that one is "well enough suited to decide" whether they want to put up with it or not. Or let say that by the time one gets well enough suited to decide this, things can, and very often do, reach the extremes. And by "things," I mean the effects of the abuse.

The following article (and it's sub-articles) covers the whole spectrum of abuse, it's forms, gradations, consequences and reactions.

What is Abuse?
    http://samvak.tripod.com/abuse.html

"Most abusers abuse surreptitiously. They are "stealth abusers". You have to actually live with one in order to witness the abuse.

Covert abuse
    revolves around the abuser's need to assert and maintain control over his victim. It can wear many forms, not all of which are self-evident, unequivocal, and unambiguous.

Ambient abuse is the stealth, subtle, underground currents of maltreatment that sometimes go unnoticed even by the victims themselves, until it is too late. Ambient abuse penetrates and permeates everything – but is difficult to pinpoint and identify. It is ambiguous, atmospheric, diffuse. Hence its insidious and pernicious effects. It is by far the most dangerous kind of abuse there is.

The abuser mistreats only his closest – spouse, children, or (much more rarely) colleagues, friends, and neighbours. To the rest of the world, he appears to be a composed, rational, and functioning person. Abusers are very adept at casting a veil of secrecy – often with the active aid of their victims – over their dysfunction and misbehavior. This is why the abuser's offending behavior comes as a shock even to his closest, nearest, and dearest."

And someone might not fit the criteria for a mental disorder/illness and yet still be abusive.
    True. But certain forms of abuse are typical of certain mental disorders, which helps identify them.

And if smn suspects in themselves some traits that might be hurtful towards others - well, human beings are capable of change and self-growth. Depending on what the issue is - this might include smn needing some help from a professional or not.
    Unfortunately, certain mental disorders like NPD cannot be "cured," although people having them can be reconditioned to an extent. This is the consensus among experts and mental health professional, not my personal opinion.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder Treatment Modalities and Therapies

http://samvak.tripod.com/faq77.html

"Narcissism pervades the entire personality. It is all-pervasive. Being a narcissist is akin to being an alcoholic but much more so. Alcoholism is an impulsive behaviour. Narcissists exhibit dozens of similarly reckless behaviours, some of them uncontrollable (like their rage, the outcome of their wounded grandiosity). Narcissism is not a vocation. Narcissism resembles depression or other disorders and cannot be changed at will.

Adult pathological narcissism is no more "curable" than the entirety of one's personality is disposable. The patient is a narcissist. Narcissism is more akin to the colour of one's skin rather than to one's choice of subjects at the university.
    "

Furthermore...

The Narcissist is in Love with His Own Disorder
    http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/journal15.html

"The narcissist is emotionally attached to only one thing: his disorder. The narcissist loves his disorder, desires it passionately, cultivates it tenderly, is proud of its "achievements" (and in my case, makes a living off it). His emotions are misdirected. Where normal people love others and empathize with them, the narcissist loves his False Self and identifies with it to the exclusion of all else - his True Self included."

Basically, you have the right to protect yourself, your mental and physical well-being from malicious influences.
    The right, yes. But you don't always have the necessary tools and/or the awareness.
    Last edited by Park; 04-19-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On one hand there are people mentally disordered', on the other hand there's the institutions which hold them. A doctor is proud of their social achievements, an NPD is proud about undermining society. But, you are blinded by the label "NPD" and you do not see people. If an NPD individual gets their life together, becomes a part of society, starts controlling themselves, there isn't a problem. Suz, Park, you are too stubborn... It is disappointing recognizing that institutions are arbitrary and there really isn't such a grand point of success as you had hoped. Now, people like yourselves and 'NPDs' like myself can get along, I am right now willing to get along with both of you.
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-20-2015 at 05:30 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rust View Post
    But, you are blinded by the label "NPD" and you do not see people.
    Or maybe you're blinded by your ignorance and don't know what you're talking about.

If an NPD individual gets their life together, becomes a part of society, starts controlling themselves, there isn't a problem.
    Most NPDs, like most psychopaths, do have their lives together (at least in the sense you're alluding to), they ARE a part of society, they DO control themselves, and that's when they cause the most problems. Especially when they rise through the ranks of power and authority.

Narcissists in Positions of Authority
    http://samvak.tripod.com/narcissistsinauthority.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People can do good things with money, or they can use it for selfish ends. Yeah there's alot of good that can be done with it. What matters is when things get very hard, people stay true to eachother, they dont dip out.

I have NPD, I'll tell you this. It takes alot of faith in others for me to be the real me. I have to be able to trust that people won't immediately stab at me, or literally stab me.
    For example, 3 days ago I smoked some pot, came onto this forum, and talked about a time in childhood where I hunted wild cats and enjoyed it. Next thing I know a Mod from this forum is telling me she's going to rip my balls out, ban me from the chatbox and the forum, socially ostracizes me, I've got to explain myself to the mod staff now, she attacks me in the thread, she will not be rational, she's got support from all these other drones one upping your comments. Now thats a really mild incident, but this goes deeper and it's my core personality, these things are on the threshold of happening constantly. I have NPD = I cannot be the authentic person I am. Obama, Madolf, Bush... same problems. THey cannot be themselves, they cannot be honest, it would be disastrous for them.

So there is this alter ego which develops in place, which is a lie.
    NPD is not a moral problem, it is a social problem, and psychology defines mental disorders by social standards.
    It can only be a moral problem if you approach it from a religious standpoint.
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-21-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised Presidential Address (NPD free edition)
    Listen, nation.... There isn't any possible way we are going to stop global warming, or the extinction of the planet. We know it's happening, but we simply cannot stop it without killing off a large chunk of you; and even that probably wouldn't work, otherwise we might have tried it. We are hoping to sterilize some of you through your food, but that's about as far as we've taken it; we've generally accepted that the world is dying away ... we got over that 2000 years ago. Now, China is waging a psychological war on you through your TV set and by shipping in large amounts of heroin into the country; infact they recently used an ionospheric heater to attack fukushima with an earthquake. They've also imbalanced the food supply to make you sick and weak with excessive sugar and starch, leaving you with an excess taste of bitterness, i.e. wormwood. But don't be alarmed, their aim is to collapse our Christian institutions and bring the country down by flooding us with drugs and whoredom, and corrupting / buying out the government from within... something they have mostly accomplished. And btw we did collapse the twin towers ... we weren't that concerned about nuclear weapons, but we needed into Iraq in order to establish a corporate stronghold there, to spread democracy throughout the middle east, undermining Islamic values with Jewish values so that we can stop fighting about the life of the planet, because we already know it's dead; at least our children can all die on this rock in peace - we did all this because it payed well and it resulted in a more pleasant death for us; given the arbitrariness of the choices, this one won out. It also may help us stage an apocalypse, though it looks eerily similar to a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. So in the meantime we recommend you don't reproduce, but do let your intelligence decide. Oh yeah, and the election is a media campaign, nothing more. Now for all these problems, there is nothing I could ever do about this, but if I tried, I would be assassinated. By the way this isn't a Christian nation, it's always been a secular nation; I'm not a true Christian; if I was, I would not be doing this job; and neither are 99% of you. Infact, if there ever is a Mystery Babylon, you are most likely living in it. That is all for now, God bless America... errr, well, may Satan bless America... all economic decisions are made with witchcraft, voodoo economics hahhaa not a joke. Oh and the aliens are lies we propagated to make you fear God and shut up more, though there is a supernatural counterpart to them. Hahahaha, anyway, carry onward.
    Sincerely,
    President Ronald Raegen
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-21-2015 at 01:45 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suz, Park, you are too stubborn... It is disappointing recognizing that institutions are arbitrary and there really isn't such a grand point of success as you had hoped. Now, people like yourselves and 'NPDs' like myself can get along, I am right now willing to get along with both of you.
    I'm not really sure why i'm being referred to here as i haven't contributed to this thread in quite a while and haven't said anything to the effect you state here.

In any case, I've closely interacted enough with narcissists to know that's not the kind of behavior i want to be around, simply because it's damaging to my own psyche, self-esteem, and functioning. I am making no judgements on the person themselves, and i know for a fact that an NPD individual can still have good values and be a person who does good things. But it doesn't mean i have to interact with them closely. It's my choice, and i think i'll take it.

I think it will be difficult for someone with NPD to really know what it's like on the receiving end. The NPD psyche is just different. Not better or worse, just different. But, unfortunately, potentially damaging to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure why i'm being referred to here as i haven't contributed to this thread in quite a while and haven't said anything to the effect you state here.

In any case, I've closely interacted enough with narcissists to know that's not the kind of behavior i want to be around, simply because it's damaging to my own psyche, self-esteem, and functioning. I am making no judgements on the person themselves, and i know for a fact that an NPD individual can still have good values and be a person who does good things. But it doesn't mean i have to interact with them closely. It's my choice, and i think i'll take it.

I think it will be difficult for someone with NPD to really know what it's like on the receiving end. The NPD psyche is just different. Not better or worse, just different. But, unfortunately, potentially damaging to others.
    I referenced you here because I had witnessed you perform a public lynching of a supposed NPD in the chatbox the day prior to me making this post. If you want to talk about being damaging, don't be a hypocrite. Thanks, bye.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I referenced you here because I had witnessed you perform a public lynching of a supposed NPD in the chatbox the day prior to me making this post. If you want to talk about being damaging, don't be a hypocrite. Thanks, bye.
    Calling it a "lynching" is a wild exaggeration. I am allowed to express my thoughts, which were as professionally expressed in the chatbox as I have done in this thread. I'm a clinician, and I am approaching the subject in this way. Any impressions of "lynching" is due to your own subjectivity and/or that of certain members of the audience, and any theoretical "damage" brought about by pointing out things that happened and were experienced as a result, is only damage to the person that was brought about by themselves. I feel that my experience was very eye opening to me, and i feel a duty to educate. I am sorry if it hits a sore spot for you, the world does not revolve around you.

In any case, i have made an intentional effort to leave names out of all contributions i have made to the threads, and it's unfair and inflammatory of you to be bringing up particular individuals in a discussion that is not specifically mentioning them.
    Last edited by Suz; 04-24-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling it a "lynching" is a wild exaggeration. I am allowed to express my thoughts, which were as professionally expressed in the chatbox as I have done in this thread. I'm a clinician, and I am approaching the subject in this way. Any impressions of "lynching" is due to your own subjectivity and/or that of certain members of the audience, and any theoretical "damage" brought about by pointing out things that happened and were experienced as a result, is only damage to the person that was brought about by themselves. I feel that my experience was very eye opening to me, and i feel a duty to educate. I am sorry if it hits a sore spot for you, the world does not revolve around you.

In any case, i have made an intentional effort to leave names out of all contributions i have made to the threads, and it's unfair and inflammatory of you to be bringing up particular individuals in a discussion that is not specifically mentioning them.
    You did not approach this with any clinical expertise, you were rambling vengeful ostracism & hatred for 20 minutes ... even I took a step back - that's saying something. You may be a medical doctor but you are not qualified to diagnose and treat NPD. The way you justify your behavior, you sound no different than someone with NPD. Infact, you should go read Parks link on how narcissism can be contagious; victims developing NPD... when I read it, I thought of you clearly. Here is the link:
    http://www.toddlertime.com/sam/42.htm
    some quotes:

When Victims Become Narcissists
    Some people adopt the role of a professional victim. In doing so, they become self-centred, devoid of empathy and, abusive and exploitative. In other words, they become narcissists.
    These victim "pros" are often more cruel, vengeful
    They make a career of it. They identify with this role to the exclusion of all else. It is a danger to be avoided.
    These affected entertain the (false) belief they can compartmentalize their narcissistic behaviour and direct it only at the narcissist. In other words, they trust in their ability to segregate their behaviour patterns: verbally abusive towards the narcissist - civil with others, act with malice where the narcissist is concerned - and with Christian charity towards all others.

They cling to the "faucet theory". They believe that they can turn on and off their negative feelings, their abusive outbursts, their vindictiveness and vengefulness, their blind rage, their non-discriminating judgment. This, of course, is untrue. These behaviours spill over, into daily transactions with innocent others.

One cannot be partly or temporarily vindictive and judgmental any more than one can be partly or temporarily pregnant. To their horror, these victims discover that they have been transmuted and transformed into their worst nightmare: into a narcissist.

Narcissism is contagious and that many victims tend to become narcissists themselves: malevolent, vicious, lacking empathy, egotistical, exploitative, violent and abusive.

As someone who's studied psychology for ~10 years, & after witnessing what you did in the chatbox and your attitudes here, I can say with confidence that, despite your pristine self-report test results, you fit this bill perfectly; you have victim NPD.
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-24-2015 at 03:22 AM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are strong indications that you might have a psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.
    You reached 100,00% of Factor 1 which captures the core personality traits of psychopathy that define the interpersonal and affective deficits of this personality disorder (e.g. shallow affect, superficial charm, manipulativeness, lack of empathy) and that are correlated with narcissistic personality disorder, low anxiety, low empathy, low stress reaction and low suicide risk. But Factor 1 is also associated with extraversion and positive affect - affected persons usually score high on scales of achievement and well-being, so some aspects of the personality disorder may even be beneficial for the psychopath (in terms of nondeviant social functioning or if it comes to profit from manipulation or lies).
    You reached 83,33% of Factor 2 which captures the traits of antisocial behavior (e.g. criminal versatility, impulsiveness, irresponsibility, poor behaviour controls, juvenile delinquency) and is associated with reactive anger, social deviance, sensation seeking, anxiety, increased risk of suicide, low socio-economic status, criminality, and impulsive violence.
    You reached 100,00% in other relevant traits that can indicate this personality disorder.
    However, there are disputes over the correct diagnosis of psychopathic resp. antisocial personality disorders, and the standardization of clinical testing for APD/PPD is still in the process.
    Regarding the perspective for psychopathic/antisocial personalities and treatment options, please refer to my article about psychopathy and antisocial behavior in the "Papers" section of my website.

Score: 35 of 38 [35:16/15/4]

There are strong indications that you might have a
    narcissistic personality disorder.
    There are slight differences between the major diagnostic manuals in how to diagnose a narcissistic personality disorder, with the ICD-10 manual stating that a person may only be diagnosed with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder if she/he does not meet the diagnostic criteria for a dissocial (antisocial, psychopathic), histrionic or any of the other personality disorders at the same time. For the DSM-IV manual, there is no such exclusion. It is unusual for NPD personality types to seek therapy, as they unconsciously fear exposure or inadequacy and will usually disdain therapeutic processes or the idea of psychotherapy itself, sabotage the therapeutic process or openly oppose it. Pharmacotherapy is rarely effective.
    Score: 7 of 9

histrionic personality disorder.
    There is, however, no scientific test to confirm this diagnosis other than to verify the symptoms by subjective means. Thus, some people may be wrongly diagnosed as having the disorder while others with the disorder may not be diagnosed - with the result that treatment is often only prompted by depression associated with dissolved romantic relationships. Medication does little to affect this personality disorder, but may be helpful with symptoms such as depression. Psychotherapy may be of benefit and will aim at self-development through resolution of conflict and advancement of inhibited developmental lines.[D:5/I:5]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres my friend

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did not approach this with any clinical expertise, you were rambling vengeful ostracism & hatred for 20 minutes ... even I took a step back - that's saying something. You may be a medical doctor but you are not qualified to diagnose and treat NPD. The way you justify your behavior, you sound no different than someone with NPD. Infact, you should go read Parks link on how narcissism can be contagious; victims developing NPD... when I read it, I thought of you clearly. Here is the link:
    http://www.toddlertime.com/sam/42.htm
    some quotes:

When Victims Become Narcissists
    Some people adopt the role of a professional victim. In doing so, they become self-centred, devoid of empathy and, abusive and exploitative. In other words, they become narcissists.
    These victim "pros" are often more cruel, vengeful
    They make a career of it. They identify with this role to the exclusion of all else. It is a danger to be avoided.
    These affected entertain the (false) belief they can compartmentalize their narcissistic behaviour and direct it only at the narcissist. In other words, they trust in their ability to segregate their behaviour patterns: verbally abusive towards the narcissist - civil with others, act with malice where the narcissist is concerned - and with Christian charity towards all others.

They cling to the "faucet theory". They believe that they can turn on and off their negative feelings, their abusive outbursts, their vindictiveness and vengefulness, their blind rage, their non-discriminating judgment. This, of course, is untrue. These behaviours spill over, into daily transactions with innocent others.

One cannot be partly or temporarily vindictive and judgmental any more than one can be partly or temporarily pregnant. To their horror, these victims discover that they have been transmuted and transformed into their worst nightmare: into a narcissist.

Narcissism is contagious and that many victims tend to become narcissists themselves: malevolent, vicious, lacking empathy, egotistical, exploitative, violent and abusive.

As someone who's studied psychology for ~10 years, & after witnessing what you did in the chatbox and your attitudes here, I can say with confidence that, despite your pristine self-report test results, you fit this bill perfectly; you have victim NPD.
    I didn't say i am approaching this with clinical expertise. I meant i have a clinical interest in the topic now and am trying to see NPD as a clinical disorder, not as a scourge or stigma (despite how i have been hurt by these kind of people). I didn't claim to make an "official diagnosis", but people dont have to be medical professionals to be able to recognize NPD -- the features are very striking and unmistakeable, once you know the signs of it. In fact, people who have been victimized by narcissists and are in close proximity to them in some way, are probably better at recognizing narcissists than a therapist or psychiatrist would be in a clinical setting, for the very reason that NPDs are likely to present a "mask" or their "pretend self" to the mental health professional (or others whom they aren't interacting with frequently). I've read that actually makes official diagnoses of NPD difficult to make, and that may also be one of the reasons why therapy doesn't help with NPD.

I am certainly within my rights to have an opinion about someone being NPD if I feel i have identified it for myself.

And yes, for sure, i have felt my personality starting to change with increased interactions with these narcissists. It is going completely against my nature, and i HATE that feeling, I HATE being that way. It's traumatic to me. I need to put a stop to that once it gets to a certain critical point. In a way I have a certain allergy to narcissists that has been like that even before i realized what it was, and about 6 months of interaction is usually where i've had enough and cant stand it anymore. I also am not a very submissive person, and i resist the crap narcissists try to pull and do often feel at liberty to call them out on it. Perhaps all of this has kept me from actually becoming one, because i just cant tolerate that narcissistic crap for long.

That is also why I choose to steer clear of such people, and why i would rather not interact further with you either. You're doing the same sort of manipulative bullshit, incidentally, that they do also; I see it so clearly now.

I think in this case, rather than me being a "victim narcissist", what is going on is, i am calling a spade a spade, and you want to silence me.
    Last edited by Suz; 04-24-2015 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revising history to change your 20 minutes of vengeful childish ranting into a civil discourse is manipulative, but also ineffective because most the forum was there and saw it.
    What is unmistakable is that you fit every part of the victim-NPD article I just quoted.
    If you want to avoid developing this victim NPD complex further, I suggest you not lump me in with those you ostracize and humiliate; I have spoken frankly with you; I suggest you recognize your problem and come to terms with it.
    You are free to choose who you develop intimate relationships with, and who you remain superficial with; but you are not free to socially degrade a person the way you did in the chatbox, simply because you think they are a 'danger'. Nor are you free to inform me, openly, of how you will now on avoid me because I am such a similar monster. This makes you a victim-narcissist. Again, read the article.

Now, I think I am done with our interaction Suz, because I have said everything I need to. Now have a nice day.
    Thanks, bye.
    Last edited by Ian Rust; 04-24-2015 at 04:37 AM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revising history to change your 20 minutes of vengeful childish ranting into a civil discourse is manipulative, but also ineffective because most the forum was there and saw it.
    What is unmistakable is that you fit every part of the victim-NPD article I just quoted.
    If you want to avoid developing this victim NPD complex further, I suggest you not lump me in with those you ostracize and humiliate; I have spoken frankly with you; I suggest you recognize your problem and come to terms with it.
    You are free to choose who you develop intimate relationships with, and who you remain superficial with; but you are not free to socially degrade a person the way you did in the chatbox, simply because you think they are a 'danger'. Nor are you free to inform me, openly, of how you will now on avoid me because I am such a similar monster. This makes you a victim-narcissist. Again, read the article.

Now, I think I am done with our interaction Suz, because I have said everything I need to. Now have a nice day.
    Thanks, bye.
    why are you bringing short-lived chatbox drama that ended weeks ago into a civil discourse on NPD that is going on in this thread, is my question? What was your purpose in doing so? Did you want to resurrect the drama to continue in here? Manipulative. It is not the purpose of this thread, nor of the posts i've made in it.

Incidentally, NPDs are notorious for projecting their own issues onto others, and you are doing the same here.

oh and I have read more about NPD in the past month than you can imagine. Dont twist things around and say i called you a monster, that's manipulative. As i've said before, I choose not to interact with people like you, to retain my own sanity and character. I am allowed to avoid whomever i want to, that's not called "ostracism".

As far as 'lumping you in" with whatever entity you are referring to... i couldn't care less about doing so. You are a speck of dust to me. NOw please let us get back to intellectual conversation, instead of this petty defensive bullshit you've started.
    Last edited by Suz; 04-24-2015 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodnight Suz.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodnight Suz.
    oh... good NIGHT, Ian...

jk

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

why are you bringing short-lived chatbox drama that ended weeks ago into a civil discourse on NPD that is going on in this thread, is my question? What was your purpose in doing so? Did you want to resurrect the drama to continue in here? Manipulative. It is not the purpose of this thread, nor of the posts i've made in it.

Incidentally, NPDs are notorious for projecting their own issues onto others, and you are doing the same here.

oh and I have read more about NPD in the past month than you can imagine. Dont twist things around and say i called you a monster, that's manipulative. As i've said before, I choose not to interact with people like you, to retain my own sanity and character. I am allowed to avoid whomever i want to, that's not called "ostracism".

As far as 'lumping you in" with whatever entity you are referring to... i couldn't care less about doing so. You are a speck of dust to me. NOw please let us get back to intellectual conversation, instead of this petty defensive bullshit you've started.
    NDPs, and other related PDs, will drive you crazy, then when you loose it, they will use THAT against you to justify THEIR actions. Stay away from these crazies is my advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of you care about what is actually true.

TIM
    ILI-NI / LII-?
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Score: 5 of 38 [5:2/1/2]

You might have certain traits of narcissistic personalities but certainly not in a form that would justify a personality disorder diagnosis according to the standards.

There is no indication that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.[D:2/I:1]

You meet 100% of the range of general personality disorder criteria.
    However, there are no clear indications of you having a psychopathic/antisocial, narcissistic or histrionic disorder, so there might be another problem not captured by this test.
    Thus, is strongly recommended you seek a professional diagnosis to be sure what exactly you are dealing with.
    It might turn out useful to print the previous page including your selections and take it to a psychotherapist, psychiatrist or psychologist.[G:5]

I can be a bit OCD however.

Take all these strings
    They call my veins
    Wrap them around
    Every fucking thing

TIM
    α-ω
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no clear indication that you might have a psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.
    You reached, however, 37,50% of Factor 1 which captures the core personality traits of psychopathy that define the interpersonal and affective deficits of this personality disorder (e.g. shallow affect, superficial charm, manipulativeness, lack of empathy) and that are correlated with narcissistic personality disorder, low anxiety, low empathy, low stress reaction and low suicide risk. But Factor 1 is also associated with extraversion and positive affect - affected persons usually score high on scales of achievement and well-being, so some aspects of the personality disorder may even be beneficial for the psychopath (in terms of nondeviant social functioning or if it comes to profit from manipulation or lies).
    You reached, however, 27,78% of Factor 2 which captures the traits of antisocial behavior (e.g. criminal versatility, impulsiveness, irresponsibility, poor behaviour controls, juvenile delinquency) and is associated with reactive anger, social deviance, sensation seeking, anxiety, increased risk of suicide, low socio-economic status, criminality, and impulsive violence.
    You might have certain traits of antisocial or psychopathic personalities but certainly not in a form that would justify a personality disorder diagnosis according to the standards.
    Score: 13 of 38

There is no indication that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.

As for narcissim, everyone exhibits narcissism to some extent and narcissism in itself is still considered as a healthy, i.e.normal and even necessary part of individual's psychological development / personality structure and, face it, a certain level of narcissism can be very, very beneficial. Nowadays the ability to know how to sell yourself and to present yourself in a favourable light has become key competence in our society and without having a "first-me" and "doing whatever it takes"-attitude you won't succeed. Unless this is not a defining feature of an individual's personality and only used selectively, i.e. situational, it is not unhealthy.

However, kids already get taught that stuff at home and in school, this increases during apprenticeship / in college and is later taken to extremes and has a formative influence on partnerships, family, neighborhood, circle of friends and relationships at work. To me it's no surprise that one-person households sharply increase.

And let's not forget that since the market gets harder and harder people get harder... and colder. Furthermore, the perception amongst people that if you don't make it up to the upper class you might end up in poverty increases. So the motto is, adapt in order to not left behind.

Besides, the strong desire for fame and success in our time and society and the fierce competition on the way to the top and also the rude dealings with others, especially towards those who lost, show striking similarities to a phenomenon that is labelled narcissism.

People need to keep in mind that all of this can be taken too far which results in large consequences for society. Basically, this development is a 'time-delayed trap' and it will bite society in the ass some day and the first who'll suffer from the overall decrease of warmth in society are the weakest and most vulnerable, like e.g. the ill, elderly, handicapped, underprivileged. And since we all get old and/or perhaps ill or handicapped some day society needs to ask itself the question what those people mean to us.

Anyway, despite the diagnostic criteria for NPD, it's difficult to draw a clear-cut line at which normal or healthy narcissism ends and the pathological level (NPD) begins. In-between is a bulk of individuals who do not fully meet the diagnostic criteria for NPD but have more or less tendencies in that direction which can make them unfun to be around and destructive. Besides, an individual with NPD can be high functioning, productive and successful and can be well liked by business partners (and random acquaintances) and can pursue an impressive career, though this is not permanently uncritical during such an individual's lifetime.

Needless to say, whether someone reaches the pathological level can be diagnosed by mental health professionals only, though they're also not free from making mistakes but in our society "ill" is, who society declares ill.

Anyway, if you're feeling up to it, take this narcissism test that is only used by clinicians

"The spirit of resistance to government
    is so valuable on certain occasions,
    that I wish it to be always kept alive.
    It will often be exercised when wrong
    but better so than not to be exercised at all.
    I like a little rebellion now and then.
    It is like a storm in the atmosphere."
    Thomas Jefferson

TIM
    α-ω
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are strong indications that you might have a psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.
    There are strong indications that you might have a narcissistic personality disorder.
    There are strong indications that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    There are strong indications that you might have a narcissistic personality disorder.

or here if that YouTube video doesn't run
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...68&pnref=story

Sometimes you need to see stuff like this to think, ya know what? Maybe I'm not so fucked up after all. : ))
    "The spirit of resistance to government
    is so valuable on certain occasions,
    that I wish it to be always kept alive.
    It will often be exercised when wrong
    but better so than not to be exercised at all.
    I like a little rebellion now and then.
    It is like a storm in the atmosphere."
    Thomas Jefferson

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Score: 4 of 38 [4:1/3/0]
    Score: 2 of 9
    There is no indication that you might have a histrionic personality disorder.[D:2/I:2]
    You meet 80% of the range of general personality disorder criteria.
    Thus, is strongly recommended you seek a professional diagnosis to be sure what exactly you are dealing with.
    It might turn out useful to print the previous page including your selections and take it to a psychotherapist, psychiatrist or psychologist.[

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Score: 15 of 38 [15:6/6/3]

narcissistic personality disorder.
    Score: 6 of 9

histrionic personality disorder.

You meet as little as 40% of the range of general personality disorder criteria.
    Having a result indicating either a psychopathic/antisocial, narcissistic or histrionic personality disorder but not meeting important criteria for a general personality is unusual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12