Thread: Frustrated when things don't work

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Frustrated when things don't work

By 'things' I'm talking about machines and other mechanical type things. I panic and get upset when they don't work the way they should. I've never been good at troubleshooting them either. The troubleshooting in the instruction sheet rarely helps because the specific issue I have is not addressed by the instructions or even if I follow them to the letter it still doesn't work.

I've always been this way with machines and the like. I've never cared to learn how they work either, I just want it to meet my needs. When driving the car, as long as it gets from point A to point B, I'm happy. The Internet, as long as I can find what I'm looking for in a reasonable time, I'm happy.

I love exploring the underlying workings of theories and abstract things and the like but when it comes to actual physical objects, oftentimes I'm at a loss.

With computers, I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software issues but computer hardware I find difficult.

What socionics functions do you think tie in to what I'm describing?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

No clue on which function but a lot of people get frustrated with their computers when they don't work the way they are supposed to. I used to get frustrated with repairs. Especially when I had to install hardware but nothing too bad. I am more frustrated when memory is low.

So I can only tell you that the types I know who have a similar problem to you with computers were an EII, SLI, ESE, ILI (because he is just frustrated in general) and an EIE. I used to fix friend's and family computers because most of them were clueless.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    By 'things' I'm talking about machines and other mechanical type things. I panic and get upset when they don't work the way they should. I've never been good at troubleshooting them either. The troubleshooting in the instruction sheet rarely helps because the specific issue I have is not addressed by the instructions or even if I follow them to the letter it still doesn't work.

I've always been this way with machines and the like. I've never cared to learn how they work either, I just want it to meet my needs. When driving the car, as long as it gets from point A to point B, I'm happy. The Internet, as long as I can find what I'm looking for in a reasonable time, I'm happy.

I love exploring the underlying workings of theories and abstract things and the like but when it comes to actual physical objects, oftentimes I'm at a loss.

With computers, I'm pretty good at troubleshooting software issues but computer hardware I find difficult.

What socionics functions do you think tie in to what I'm describing?
    I didn't want to hit your thread with "not type related" but the bold part seems to describe the majority of people.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm the same, makes me punch walls in a second when some machine doesn't work the way it should. Don't care how it operates, it should just perform how it's supposed to. I destroyed my ex computers hard disk this way, punching it repeatedly when something didn't work. So now I try to cool my temper, because it's really not worth it. It's NTR, many people are like this. The ones that actually understand how technology works and are interested in it, are usually more patient and less panicky

But it is a bit unusual for LII to not be interested at all in how machines (computers, cars) operate.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    I'm the same, makes me punch walls in a second when some machine doesn't work the way it should. Don't care how it operates, it should just perform how it's supposed to. I destroyed my ex computers hard disk this way, punching it repeatedly when something didn't work. So now I try to cool my temper, because it's really not worth it. It's NTR, many people are like this. The ones that actually understand how technology works and are interested in it, are usually more patient and less panicky

But it is a bit unusual for LII to not be interested at all in how machines (computers, cars) operate.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Aylen That is creepily close to me when it gets bad

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really good at troubleshooting machines/gadgets/computers.....which surprises most people.

Also- when in doubt: youtube it.

If after youtube + trial and error and it still does not work... I will want to smash it.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe I am an EIE after all, but I haven't gone as far as to throw my laptop off of a building-- yet.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post

Very true in my case; I am profoundly interested in the inner workings of things. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be type-related.

When I was little, I would disassemble mechanical pencils or pens to see how they worked, try to shut myself in the clothes dryer to figure out why it dried clothes, turn the stove on and off (my parents weren't pleased), take apart my grandpa's old model plane engines, etc.

I think it has to do with Ti because after disassembling something I would piece it back together, and in doing so would create a basic principle of why it worked: the pen works because of the spring's reaction against the pressure of your finger on the button, the engine's piston moves up and down, etc.

Maybe attesting to my Se-POLR, however, I was frightened (and still am) by things working in a way that could easily physically harm people, like a big truck or train or something. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to safety in general. Maybe NTR, IDK...

I build and repair computers and have maintained an interest in both the hardware and software of them. Software is generally more interesting to me because it is so much more intricate, and it can fully utilize the potential of the hardware involved. I suppose this is akin to my interest in the theory behind what makes something work: then the possibilities are endless for the application of the theory.

As for troubleshooting, I am generally level-headed when dealing with something that isn't working, but if my troubleshooting efforts end up being in vain then I become irritated.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hacim View Post
    Very true in my case; I am profoundly interested in the inner workings of things. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be type-related.

When I was little, I would disassemble mechanical pencils or pens to see how they worked, try to shut myself in the clothes dryer to figure out why it dried clothes, turn the stove on and off (my parents weren't pleased), take apart my grandpa's old model plane engines, etc.

I think it has to do with Ti because after disassembling something I would piece it back together, and in doing so would create a basic principle of why it worked: the pen works because of the spring's reaction against the pressure of your finger on the button, the engine's piston moves up and down, etc.

Maybe attesting to my Se-POLR, however, I was frightened (and still am) by things working in a way that could easily physically harm people, like a big truck or train or something. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to safety in general. Maybe NTR, IDK...

I build and repair computers and have maintained an interest in both the hardware and software of them. Software is generally more interesting to me because it is so much more intricate, and it can fully utilize the potential of the hardware involved. I suppose this is akin to my interest in the theory behind what makes something work: then the possibilities are endless for the application of the theory.

As for troubleshooting, I am generally level-headed when dealing with something that isn't working, but if my troubleshooting efforts end up being in vain then I become irritated.
    Thanks for your explanation. I've noticed this profound interest for inner working of things in all LII's I know, it makes sense for Ti supported by Ne.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely every type ever

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    absolutely every type ever
    Except for LII.........

TIM
    &*self
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I get frustrated but I get constructively frustrated and fixing it and learning something becomes irritatingly fun.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

sounds like a feminized brain.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    sounds like a feminized brain.
    Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the male vs. female brain theory?

I mean it's possible male and female brains tend to differ, not arguing with you there but I didn't see anything in the article that really related much to my situation.

I am female by the way.

As far as mechanical skills go and fixing things with my hands, part of it could rely on spatial skills, which the article does mention that men tend to be stronger in this. But my spatial skills have always been pretty good, so I don't know.

I've just never been good at fixing things with my hands and always found it frustrating. My parents struggled with that as well. I was never taught basic mechanical things. I don't think it's just because I'm a female, my parents lacked interest so never thought it important to teach me that kind of thing. I tended to lack interest as well and wasn't encouraged much anyway. Don't take it apart, you'll break it and won't be able to put it back together again.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this is becoming a bit of a skill deficit in general in society as the years go on... both because we don't have time (especially when one is in a job that is about other things) to go through the possibly hours of time needed to fix something (as that's time away from higher priorities) against a backdrop of fast-paced society; and because it just seems like this escapes the radar of the average person, and even of businesses... almost like it just costs less time/effort to throw out a piece of equipment that doesn't work than it does to repair it (i'm thinking of things like office printers). this keeps everyone buying equipment more frequently which the corporations that make the equipment may well be perfectly happy with. things are designed not to be repaired but to be replaced. it's because we are wasteful and impatient, and we will run ourselves into the dust.

the actual hands-on work on these things would be trades (and society is moving away from trades it seems)... training is needed and it seems fewer people have any training as time goes on. maybe it's caught in a loop where the fewer of these "craftspeople," the more costly the labor, thus the less demand for the labor, thus the fewer the craftspeople, etc. i imagine if there was money to be gained through such trades there might be more of them? there only seem to be certain sorts of mechanics for bigger things, but not smaller things. as in you can get an expert to fix your car but not your printer or vacuum cleaner or whatever. hah. maybe plumbers could add these things on, or computer repair places... that's probably impractical...

i find it incredibly stressful if any of these mechanical matters find their way to my doorstep, although i am good at trouble-shooting if it doesn't involve the actual physical parts. when i was little i had some curiosity of mechanical things, but i no longer do. they're just headaches that delay other priorities, and represent yet more things i feel unable to deal with. if i wasn't so stressed out all the time i could probably open space for such things... but ever since i started "working in the real world" i haven't had much energy for really any physical-ish mechancial-ish task.

i've also noticed that men seem to have more of a handle on these things than women, though this may be in decline. i suspect that it may arise out of the passing of skills from father to son, but not from father to daughter, or brother to sister.

i've actually been meaning to find a workshop on computer repair, as in the parts, as i think this would be a good skill to have. and that's all this is... our ancestors created complex tools out of rocks that take hours to make and skill to make right... all of us really can do these things, but one would need to acquire the skills, have a reason/need, and most importantly have the time. for most people these things aren't going to be priorities and so it will just come up every now and then as one of those stressful things one knows nothing about and wishes would just go away so one can get back to their lives/more important stuff.