Thread: The feel of each enneagram type

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The feel of each enneagram type

How well does the following describe the essence of each enneatype?
    What would you change/modify about each description?

Quote Originally Posted by FromAnotherThread
    Gut: physical presence in the way that a person takes up space.
    -8 fixers take up space unapologetically and just seem solid...
    -9 fixers take up space apologetically and seem unsubstantial physically in the unhealthier levels while more in flow in the healthier levels
    -1 fixers take up space somewhere in between, rigid, tense, clenched

Heart: information a person consciously or unconsciously presents about him/herself.
    -2 fixers present as more unimportant, humble, a 'servant'...
    -3 fixers present as more of a consistent winner, sometimes regal....
    -4 fixers present as more intense, self-referential, deep, sometimes erratic

Head: orientation towards thinking and ideas.
    -5 fixers think more for the delight of 'big ideas' about human behavior and creating new concepts to keep reality aligned with their 'cerebral landscape'...
    -6 fixers think more for the responsibility of assessing and defending current beliefs/people to figure out what/who is reliable and what they can be certain about...
    -7 fixers think more for the delight of staying on the move (mentally or physically) in search of new ideas to stimulate their minds with
    @Galen, @Aylen, @silke, @Radio
    And whoever else spends a lot of time with enneagram
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These seem like okayish superficial descriptors, but none of them really get to the heart of what each type is about. I guess I'll contribute in a bit.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've experienced all 3 of the gut-fixes at different points, but I usually alternate between being really clenched/rigid and somewhat fluid, which matches up with my self-typing. I'm sometimes not afraid of taking up space but I still feel honed in physically for the most part. 3 and 4 elements also feel obvious in me, and 6 make the most obvious in the head triad although I'm not as immediately conscious of it.
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-25-2015 at 12:47 AM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

My EII sister is probably a core 9 and I cannot relate the 9 part to her. I don't particularly see the 2s that I know as feeling unimportant. If anything they tend to make themselves important by being overly helpful, and butting in, when I don't want it. My aunt was a very pushy and unhealthy 2, I believe. Whenever there was a crisis she was there to save the day and you could not say no to her.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    My EII sister is probably a core 9 and I cannot relate the 9 part to her. I don't particularly see the 2s that I know as feeling unimportant. If anything they tend to make themselves important by being overly helpful, and butting in, when I don't want it. My aunt was a very pushy and unhealthy 2, I believe. Whenever there was a crisis she was there to save the day and you could not say no to her.
    I didn't get the sense that 2s _feel_ unimportant so much as they are "humbley" there to help, thus helping you or showing how helpful/nice they are being is more important than themselves. My wording isn't coming out right. I guess it's that 2s seem to push the focus onto the helpful actions more than onto the helper. Unfortunately to get someone to focus on the helper's actions implies the helper, if that makes sense.

Interesting that you can't relate your e9 sister to the e9 description there. How would you describe it?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I didn't get the sense that 2s _feel_ unimportant so much as they are "humbley" there to help, thus helping you or showing how helpful/nice they are being is more important than themselves. My wording isn't coming out right. I guess it's that 2s seem to push the focus onto the helpful actions more than onto the helper. Unfortunately to get someone to focus on the helper's actions implies the helper, if that makes sense.

Interesting that you can't relate your e9 sister to the e9 description there. How would you describe it?
    I don't know how to explain it but I think it is because this level (below) would describe her best when she is being authentic/true to herself, which is where she has been for awhile now. I tend to forget how she is when unhealthy, when she is healthy. hahah I would not say her physical presence has ever come off as unsubstantial but then again I have seen her as one of the most fragile members in the family when she is having problems so it might fit. I just use a different word? When less healthy she tends to allow the men in her life determine her actions, or something, and it bothered me when she would not speak what she really felt and just go along with them. She would just parrot their beliefs and thoughts.

"Level 3: Optimistic, reassuring, supportive: have a healing and calming influence—harmonizing groups, bringing people together: a good mediator, synthesizer, and communicator."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For myself, going by these descriptions,

I am definitely constantly assessing and analyzing things, even my own perception, trying to figure out what i can rely on, what i can use to guide my decisions and my actions. Where might things be off, and how can i fix my understanding of it, etc. And when i don't have anything to fret over like that, i seek out mental stimulation, pursue new ideas...which inevitably leads to assessing/analyzing something new. It's an exhausting cycle.

For the gut one, i annoy myself by how often i apologize for taking up space, for being in someone's way; for taking up their time, even if they are being paid for it; and for being afraid to want something, or to say i want it, because I don't want to impose upon their own wants. But when I do stand up for myself, i do so in a rigid and tense manner. On the one hand wanting to run away, but forcing myself to stay and do this because i think it's important enough. People talk about 9s as being peacemakers, like being a 9 is something to aim for, but all i see is the unhealthiness and self-limiting of it. But then I also see the person in my life that i think as an e9, and while his doesn't seem so unhealthy, he also is at risk of being a mat, so he avoids situations/people who might otherwise walk all over him.

As for the heart one, i still have a difficult time openly admitting aspects of the 4 fixation, other than acknowledging my erraticness and sometimes intenseness. I'm definitely quite self-referential, and find it annoying in myself. I wouldn't say deep, though. This is a side I'm not ready to analyze too much yet, i think it hits too close, too deep, and that i'm not fully ready to see that part of myself too clearly, yet. Lol, possibly due to it being a self-image thing, lolol.

Personally, on a superficial level, I liked the descriptions. But my liking it and seeing its relationship to myself doesn't mean it fits others.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp