Thread: Evoking the Sublime

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Evoking the Sublime

Post anything that you think is of a sublime nature.

Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains California, by Albert Bierstadt.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Energy sex on the astral plane.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

*** it starts from min. 5 or so in the first video

***** screening of Zora Neale Hurston's novel (one of the first names in African Amer. lit.). It's not the classic sublime, ofc, but you can't deny the connection with the idea of divinity which is within the realm of the sublime.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The whole book/film is a combo of sublime and grotesque (or a lesson about turning one into the other...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beloved_%28novel%29
    Last edited by Amber; 03-22-2015 at 06:45 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This tune.

Another sublime rendition.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I agree. I've only seen the movie, but there's something about Baby Suggs, particularly, in the movie, that stuck with me for some reason. I really like her character. I own the book, but haven't read it yet, mainly because I found the movie so disturbing. I've only listened to the Bluest Eye on audiobook with my grandmother, who was a fan of Morrison. Was the book, Beloved, not much different from the movie, then?

The movie emphasizes the grotesque aspects more. Well, the book is still as disturbing as a "modern doppelgaenger novel" about the atrocities and effects of slavery can get. However Jonathan Demme´s take zooms in on a more physical/concrete kind of disturbing. The character Beloved is not that repelling and beast-like in the book. Apart from a few strange "signs" and details, she can easily pass for a "normal" being....at least in the first stages of the novel, before she totally engulfs Sethe to destroy her. And with Morrison style is a very important part ... her imagery is not rendered in the film (and it probably cannot properly be). I think Morrison is EIE-Ni btw. In the book you can interpret Beloved as a metaphor for the past or an externalization of Sethe's repressed memory/history which is necessary for healing and identity reconstruction ... that doesn't happen when you watch the movie. For instance, the ending of the novel is "unscreenable". Just to give an example of Morrison's style ... very poetic and powerful in a hit-you-in-your-gut way. Her imagery in the novel is not so much evocative of Gothic literature darkness, but rather something "bittersweet" (combo of tragic and sublime), elusive, and boundary-breaking. In the end of the book you are basically told that Beloved is something hanging between absence and presence ..it could have been only a dream or a chimera from other people's stories ... or a "real" ghost ...it doesn't really matter, cause all you have of her is a trace. It's hard to represent all these meta-narrative elements in a film.

Everybody knew what she was called, but nobody anywhere knew her name. Disremembered and unaccounted for, she cannot be lost because no one is looking for her (…).
    It was not a story to pass on.
    They forgot her like a bad dream. After they made up her their tales, shaped and decorated them, those that saw her that day on the porch quickly and deliberately forgot her. It took longer for those who had spoken to her, lived with her, fallen in love with her, to forget, until they realized they couldn’t remember or repeat a single thing she said, and began to believe that, other than what they themselves were thinking, she hadn’t said anything at all. (…) It was not a story to pass on.
    Down by the stream in back of 124 her footprints come and go, come and go. (..)
    By and by all trace is gone, and what is forgotten is not only the footprints but the water too and what is down there. The rest is weather. Not the breath of the disremembered and unaccounted for, but wind in the eaves, or spring ice thawing too quickly.

** Toni Morrison is probably my favorite American writer btw ...along with Nabokov... but my "relationship" with Morrison is far more personal.
    Last edited by Amber; 03-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This video seems a little artificial to me, but maybe it's not a bad idea after all. I guess in music Bach would be closest to "the sublime" of everyone I can think of -- which is different from "merely beautiful". There are several things posted in this thread that I wouldn't qualify as "sublime" (in the real aesthetic sense). I think Mayr posted a good definition before: something that inspires awe and can have a compelling, overpowering, or destructive quality to it.

Last edited by Amber; 03-25-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Amber; 03-25-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    I think Mayr posted a good definition before: something that inspires awe and can have a compelling, overpowering, or destructive quality to it.
    Deleted it, because I wasn't sure if I grasped the meaning of the word correctly. Here my old post -- in order to see, what was referenced to:
    sublime is an adjective meaning:awe-inspiringly grand, excellent, or impressive, of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe.
    https://instagram.com/p/0Voo5CIaFA/?taken-by=nasa, https://instagram.com/p/y-ya1TIaDC/?taken-by=nasa, https://instagram.com/p/yyuLgFIaHw/?taken-by=nasa

Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 03-28-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

L'Erg Chebbi, Sahara (photo by Takaki Watanabe)
    Last edited by Amber; 03-26-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tham Lod cave (Thailand)

view of Tham Lum Khao Ngu (Snake Mountain cave) which houses the world's tallest cave column (...) a monolith that stretches to a staggering 62metres. the downward falling stalactites take on a striking orange colour
    Last edited by Amber; 03-26-2015 at 07:11 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romantically sublime.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Faye wong duh..

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought someone finds it too pathetic to post their fav painters in such a thread.

----------------------------

So I have to say I'm not a fan of Romanticism, but William Turner has his shit together sometimes.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

step 1: write your song in e major
    step 2: you're done

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lmao

the Jazz videos and the Asian anime don't belong with the Sublime. Not even Caspar David Friedrich in my personal view ...but I know he touches your heart. And as a Romantic painter it was kind of his duty to approach the Sublime in nature at least in a programmatic way.
    Last edited by Amber; 04-15-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm gonna post what I consider to be the best definitions of the Sublime:

Paradigm cases of the natural sublime are characterized principally by perceptual and expressive qualities relating to great height or vastness (the mathematically sublime) or tremendous power (the dynamically sublime). A range of more specific multi-sensory qualities can be identified, such as darkness, obscurity, greatness, massiveness, the tremendous, towering, dizzying, shapeless, formless, boundless, blasting, thundering, roaring, raging, disordered, dynamic, tumultuous, and so on. . . . Sublime qualities cause intense, mixed emotional responses characterized by feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious, combined with excitement and pleasure. (Emily Brady)

The experience of sublimity comes down to quality that persuades or addresses an audience not in a rational manner, but in a form that sweeps them away as in a fit of 'transport' (ekstasis), overcomes and ravishes them e.g. "Great writing does not persuade; it takes the reader out of himself”. Being convinced is usually within our control whereas amazement is the result of an irresistible force beyond the control of any audience."
    (Longinus)

The sublime event is both a moment of anxiety, and also a moment of quickening. As something unknown, still emerging, it shares properties such as obscurity, darkness, or formlessness. Sometimes it strikes us through a lack or absence - of form, of light, of clarity.
    (Lyotard)

--------

I'm sure many ppl just use this notion for whatever they may find nice/pleasing.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also some dude discusses the psychiatric sublime which I find quite amusing. But interesting as a tangent anyway.

So the mad had lost sight of the sublime, so to speak, by entering into it. They therefore required a new, stronger dose of the sublime to be administered by their doctors, one strong enough to recalibrate their sense of proportion so that they could take up once again a more realistic relationship to the world.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-...blime-r1129548

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna post what I consider to be the best definitions of the Sublime:

Paradigm cases of the natural sublime are characterized principally by perceptual and expressive qualities relating to great height or vastness (the mathematically sublime) or tremendous power (the dynamically sublime). A range of more specific multi-sensory qualities can be identified, such as darkness, obscurity, greatness, massiveness, the tremendous, towering, dizzying, shapeless, formless, boundless, blasting, thundering, roaring, raging, disordered, dynamic, tumultuous, and so on. . . . Sublime qualities cause intense, mixed emotional responses characterized by feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious, combined with excitement and pleasure. (Emily Brady)

The experience of sublimity comes down to quality that persuades or addresses an audience not in a rational manner, but in a form that sweeps them away as in a fit of 'transport' (ekstasis), overcomes and ravishes them e.g. "Great writing does not persuade; it takes the reader out of himself”. Being convinced is usually within our control whereas amazement is the result of an irresistible force beyond the control of any audience."
    (Longinus)

The sublime event is both a moment of anxiety, and also a moment of quickening. As something unknown, still emerging, it shares properties such as obscurity, darkness, or formlessness. Sometimes it strikes us through a lack or absence - of form, of light, of clarity.
    (Lyotard)

--------

I'm sure many ppl just use this notion for whatever they may find nice/pleasing.
    Everything I posted touches on these exact qualities. You can't say it "doesn't belong" just because it doesn't invoke anything in you. It's entirely subjective.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The shadow boxing at the end of this movie

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Mood_for_Love

The film ends at Siem Reap, Cambodia, where Chow is seen visiting the Angkor Wat. At the site of a ruined monastery, he whispers for some time into a hollow in a ruined wall, before plugging the hollow with mud.
    Last edited by Amber; 04-16-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

video.concact(itmfl,2046)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

actually in response to what @Galen said .... I would count in the universality of the experience among the prerequisites of the sublime. Kant used the phrase "universal communicability" to talk about a validity beyond a personal judgement of beauty only.

Now that I think of it, this increeedibly mysterious user put it quite nicely: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...m-other-forum)

Beauty exists in the apprehension of the sublime, which is a subjective experience that is characterized by its universality (despite its subjectivity); when you have an aesthetic experience, i.e. an experience of the sublime, you believe that everyone should judge the object of your experience as an exalted, higher, beautiful or 'sacred' object. If you do not believe that everyone should accept the beauty of the object of your experience, then you cannot be said to have an experience of something beautiful, but then you can only be said to have an experience of something likable or agreeable to your constitution. The beautiful is something that makes you realize, perhaps only upon reflection, that it has a universal value that goes beyond the sort of value that is a result of one's personal taste or preference, so to say.
    Last edited by Amber; 04-17-2015 at 06:25 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paradigm cases of the natural sublime are characterized principally by perceptual and expressive qualities relating to great height or vastness (the mathematically sublime) or tremendous power (the dynamically sublime). A range of more specific multi-sensory qualities can be identified, such as darkness, obscurity, greatness, massiveness, the tremendous, towering, dizzying, shapeless, formless, boundless, blasting, thundering, roaring, raging, disordered, dynamic, tumultuous, and so on. . . . Sublime qualities cause intense, mixed emotional responses characterized by feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious, combined with excitement and pleasure. (Emily Brady)[I]
    Well, that is quite specific.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Post anything that you think is of a sublime nature.

Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains California, by Albert Bierstadt.
    Nothing.

Except I think - evoke or invoke, the former involves emotions.

I don't know what the sublime means, in this context but I'll relate your Nevada mountains to the Scottish mountains.

If you want to tackle them, be prepared, my mind constantly thinks of terrain, obstacles, fitness, food breaks, calculating the variables of weather and time for daylight whilst factoring in every member of the parties fitness, mood, contribution and support required.

Please explain sublime.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Nothing.

Except I think - evoke or invoke, the former involves emotions.

I don't know what the sublime means, in this context but I'll relate your Nevada mountains to the Scottish mountains.

If you want to tackle them, be prepared, my mind constantly thinks of terrain, obstacles, fitness, food breaks, calculating the variables of weather and time for daylight whilst factoring in every member of the parties fitness, mood, contribution and support required.

Please explain sublime.
    I think this sums it up pretty well, at least one interpretation of the sublime: