Thread: Hatred for pop culture

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hatred for pop culture

I see pop culture as incredible dumb and humiliating. Can anyone relate to this?

TIM
    IEI 4w5 2w1
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SadbutTrue View Post
    I see pop culture as incredible dumb and humiliating. Can anyone relate to this?
    I know several people who are similar to you in this way.

I personally don’t really have an opinion, but I know there are people out there who can relate. My parents and several of my other family members get really upset sometimes with all the Grammy Award hubbub and stuff like that, particularly my second oldest brother. I’ve wondered if it’s related to personality before, but I’ve never looked into it thoroughly enough to be confident of a striking correlation. I noticed you posted this in the Beta forum and I know it’d be really interesting if there are other Beta’s who can relate, but it might not be related to Quadra-valued functions as much as it is to having particular functions in PoLR position and stuff like that.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

These things are kind of on my periphery and I give them very little thought except if I see a thread here and there. It isn't something that has much influence in how I live my life and I don't care how others live their lives.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI 4w5 2w1
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it really fun thinking about this whole “relatable” thing. It seems like @Aylen and I relate to each other in this way.

I always find it really interesting thinking about all the various attitudes of these things. When I was little, I’d always find myself in the middle of Saturday night family dinner parties and I’d sit listening to other people discuss their opinions about Lady Gaga and Obama, but it never really mattered to me, although I thought it was really fun for me, just sitting and listening to other people rant about how terrible MySpace was or how to fix church problems, ect… I don’t know if it’s related to the Information Elements, but my guess is probably not, since I’ve never really cared much for anything and I think the apathy’s related to undiagnosed identity problems or some sort of disorder. Actually, it'd probably be more related to instinctual variants. (But, that's just guessing, I don't really know. )

I’ve always felt like there’s something wrong with me, like the way I’ll sit and listen to those other people and find it really interesting listening to their thoughts, but then I never really have any convictions of my own. I get a buzz from listening to these other people, and like to cause all these ridiculous conversations, actually. Then, after I’m done listening, I’ll pretend I feel similar to them and go out of my way to discuss with people my horrible hatred for all that’s wrong with the Wii… stuff like that. I think it’s so that I’ll feel like I relate to the other people. When in reality, I should probably be alright with myself not having an opinion.

One thing I do relate to about disliking pop culture and similar things is, I get really upset when people do things that mess with kids. That’s the most terrible thing in the world, because I tell myself I know it’s practically inevitable, but it’s horrible seeing it happen in reality. I think that’s the one thing that really bothers me. Honestly, I thought it was really interesting how you thought it was humiliating. I’ve heard my older brother say similar things, but I just never really understood it, although I’ve always been really intrigued by it. Maybe it's humiliating because people seem so shallow when in reality it feels like they're not being realistic, and then it feels like 'oh man, look at how terrible we are compared to other places'?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
    One thing I do relate to about disliking pop culture and similar things is, I get really upset when people do things that mess with kids. That’s the most terrible thing in the world, because I tell myself I know it’s practically inevitable, but it’s horrible seeing it happen in reality.
    This is how I feel whenever I have an urge to type you. but I am relaxing about that, a bit. From past experience I have learned it is best not to let children know how you type them, in any personality theory, until they are able to understand that it is not a truth, just a theory. hahah I believe you understand that better than most adults though. Once a kid expresses clear interest and some maturity while exploring these kind of things then I think it is fine. I prefer to keep talking and let you figure yourself out.

Maybe pop culture helps some people feel a sense of belonging or something, like personality theories do for some.

I have seen people do way more humiliating things than following pop culture but I guess it depends on your perception of what is humiliating. I can see how the girls who participated in the "Girls Gone Wild" series might feel humiliated days or even years after. Like that was so mainstream. It was not hidden in the shadows. Their parents could see them on late night infomercials.

Playing with that link merc posted.

Emotional range 98%
    Fiery 98%
    Prone to worry 91%
    Melancholy 100%
    Immoderation 90%
    Self-consciousness 100%
    Susceptible to stress 94%

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not really.

In a general sense I don't have any particular love or hate for pop culture, it just is.

I don't pay attention to most of it. Alot of it doesn't interest but I don't hate it and I don't scorn the people who do like it.

It's stupid to like something just because it's popular. It's also just as stupid to dislike something because it's popular.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop culture is what you get when you try to push the most amount of people's buttons.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, pop music is the best! One Direction, Guy Sebastian, 5 Seconds of Summer I love that stuff. I don't know what else is in pop culture. I love movies, I love a few TV shows, I love Reddit. No complaints about pop culture from clowns.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like more attention-seeking pretentious bullshit

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SadbutTrue View Post
    My sentiment isn't quite as strong as yours, but i've tended to regard pop culture fairly neutrally my whole life. Sometimes i do happen to like some pop culture stuff, some things coming through the pop culture pipeline i can't stand (e.g. Jersey Shore), and some just simply dont interest me (without a preference either way). I've never been one to closely follow pop culture happenings though.
    Last edited by Suz; 03-13-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't define yourself by what you don't like, but rather what you do. Otherwise, in the absence of irritation - you have no sense of self.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think @Radio has a point. Most of us say we don't really care about pop culture, yet how can anyone avoid looking at or thinking about a lady attending a highly publicized event in a meat dress?

I find I'd rather not spend valuable minutes of my life pondering meat dresses, yet I do. I do my best to avoid it, because there's better use for my time, but I'll admit that I've lost a train of thought or two for those exceptions. However, if people start talking about The Bachelor or Jersey Shore or any of those reality shows, my ears shut off completely. I suppose I really don't care, but also, those things aren't crazy or wild enough to capture my attention.

And that's a bit frightening. To what extent will people lower their morals and values in order to obtain attention?
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    I think @Radio has a point. Most of us say we don't really care about pop culture, yet how can anyone avoid looking at or thinking about a lady attending a highly publicized event in a meat dress?
    LOL but the funny thing is... I didn't even know about the Lady Gaga in the meat dress until a long time after it happened, and didn't even know it was Lady Gaga at first when i came across the photo by accident.

I can be oblivious like that.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    I'm pretty sure Radio was referring to the OP as the pretentious attention seeker.
    Oh!

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't hate pop culture but I do hate poop culture.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If it's good, I'll like it; no shame.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think hating pop culture was edgy until it became a part of the pop culture.

Seriously, I don't mind. I like a lot of pop music as well as classic rock, I don't see a contradiction or necessity to choose here.
    I remember when "...Baby One More Time" came out (yeah, I'm that old ) and was always amused how people kept saying "oh, I hate Britney, she's so mainstream" and then we went to a party and when her song was on miraculously the same people knew the lyrics to most of her songs... I still like this song and am not afraid of admitting it.
    Also like a lot of classic stuff which seems obscure to some people or just plain embarassing (like 1940s musicals), although dislike "Jersey Shore" and the like.

With Internet available I don't think it's too difficult to escape the pop culture tbh.

lalala
    loosen up a bit

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pop culture is bonkers. Pop culture exists. Other than that, I don't know much about it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that's sad about pop culture.

Ok, American Sniper, big movie in America. But, to me, there is something deeply wrong and insidious about this propaganda film. Here is a movie that paints a picture of a reluctant hero. In real life he was a racist, bigoted, murderer. Snipers are not heroes, they are the most cowardly soldiers in the theatre of war, right beside drones. Death from 2 km away. I know, I know, no honour in war. But does this guy need to be venerated as a hero? He killed people in a war for empire?

I see his face on People magazine in the checkout stand, with his pretty wife. The all american hero. Its just sickening. The american people are lying to themselves, by creating deep seated rasism against other cultures of the world in order to stir up fervant war mongering. As a man who stepped out of culture long ago, I am disturbed at the fact that it seems "Rome" is a live and well in todays age. Is it human nature to worship warriors? Has mankind really changed in this regard from tribal monkeys of yesterday? I see pop culture as an extension of what is and always will be there.

Obviously I don't go around ranting about this kind of stuff, its just on my mind sometimes.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's dumb and humiliating to me not because it's dumb and humiliating but because it always has to have an agenda. Like I enjoy the song 'fucken perfect' by Pink because it's sort of that song loser-ish people can relate to, yet RL you kinda have natural doubts about the sincerity of the work, like it's just so hard to relate to celebs because they have so much more money even if they are doing the moral thing and protecting you etc.. There's this wall between you and them that is tempting to smash. Also mainstream artists lack purity. They just come across as selfish reptile whores that will do anything for fame. Their identity is never solid, just another cloak they can use for whatever situation. That's why one song will be about aw shucks protecting the shy loser at the high school lunch table and another song will be about being a wild and cruel slut, and how that's okay. Typical Illuminati deliver peace with arrows etc.

They want it both ways, to be both moral and immoral with always a price that they never have to pay. I think that's why people can be pissed at them. At least why I am? lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop culture has its down, no doubt about it...

But come on, you gotta admit, it connects all of us together, and gives us common ground to work with.

Not everyone can talk about grand opera or gamelan music.

But ask that old lady her opinion on Fifty Shades of Grey...I'm sure you'd get her talking!!