Thread: "Goal" of introverted sensing Si

Default "Goal" of introverted sensing Si

thought this was interesting:

"I don't think Si is about "feeling good" persay, or necessarily about aesthetics, good food, being healthy, etc. I think that misses the point and is not the fundamental nature of the function. I realize this isn't Socionics canon, but in my view, Si is more about vying to achieve stability and constancy in one's environment as a means to maintain the homeostasis of one's inner state. Si creates a sense of immergence with one's physical environment, both inside and outside of the body. This is apparent if you read into the information element composition of Si: EFD - Dynamic External Field. Dynamic refers to perception of changes, External refers to what is physical/tangible/apparent, Field refers to the observer being one with the observed. So what happens here with Si, is that one's self blends seamlessly with the physical environment, and can be treated as one indivisable unit. The desire to maintain a fluid coherence between the self and the environment is the overriding "goal" of Si. Disturbances in the parameters between self and environment are constantly monitored for. Fluctuations which produce decoherence between the two and disrupt that seamless flow are considered undesirable from the standpoint of Si." https://forum.socionix.com/topic/736...out-socionics/

what do you think, does this describe the goal of Si?

also, could a parallel be drawn with the other introverted functions, eg. Ti being a seamless blending of the work, motion of oneself and the world, Ni a blending of the potential will of oneself and the world, Fi a blending of the emotions of oneself and the world ?
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 02-21-2015 at 12:27 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

To reexperience the pleasant sensation. Isn't that the goal of every sensory type....chasing experience?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    thought this was interesting:

It is bad in that it contradicts itself:
    So what happens here with Si, is that one's self blends seamlessly with the physical environment, and can be treated as one indivisable unit
    which I think is right and then proceeds to describe it in terms of boundary/seam between "self" and environment.
    The desire to maintain a fluid coherence between the self and the environment is the overriding "goal" of Si. Disturbances in the parameters between self and environment are constantly monitored for. Fluctuations which produce decoherence between the two and disrupt that seamless flow are considered undesirable from the standpoint of Si.
    Which I think is wrong. There is no "disturbance" if everything is an affect. Affect is either good and fitting in well or it isn't. So fluctuation, change, new, "disturbance" can be welcomed, unwelcomed or unknown/suspect. The goal is some idea of good experience, sensation, wellbeing for the things/affects to come together in to. Constancy is not necessarily implied.

also, could a parallel be drawn with the other introverted functions, eg. Ti being a seamless blending of the work, motion of oneself and the world, Ni a blending of the potential will of oneself and the world, Fi a blending of the emotions of oneself and the world ?
    Utterly terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    It is bad in that it contradicts itself:

which I think is right and then proceeds to describe it in terms of boundary/seam between "self" and environment.

Which I think is wrong. There is no "disturbance" if everything is an affect. Affect is either good and fitting in well or it isn't. So fluctuation, change, new, "disturbance" can be welcomed, unwelcomed or unknown/suspect. The goal is some idea of good experience, sensation, wellbeing for the things/affects to come together in to. Constancy is not necessarily implied.

Utterly terrible.
    hm perhaps the boundary arises when there is a change to a static field element, Ti or Fi, which would cause some affects to be more welcome than others and trigger a desire to change the combination of affects to align with the new Ti/Fi ideal state. if the combination didn't change, i'd imagine the person would feel increasingly uneasy about the difference between actual and ideal conditions and that would disturb their wellbeing
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 02-20-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this has the slant you see in dcnh harmonizing. I don't know that there is a "the" psychology of Si, more like viable candidates.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The goal of IP people is to do nothing
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    lol, if so perhaps the goal of EJs as their opposite is to do something all the time

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    But doing nothing is doing something and that something is nothing.

"If you choose not do decide you still have made a choice."

Okay, I'll stop now.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LIIbrarian View Post
    But doing nothing is doing something and that something is nothing.

"If you choose not do decide you still have made a choice."

Okay, I'll stop now.
    I actually vote that this is an IJ kinda equivalent. Because IJs want to do the right thing. Or make the right decision. So they see all of their decisions as a decision, not as "doing nothing".

Whereas EPs want to do whatever they want at the time.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty much in line with how I view Si, and more importantly with how I perceive and relate to my environment.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    I actually vote that this is an IJ kinda equivalent. Because IJs want to do the right thing. Or make the right decision. So they see all of their decisions as a decision, not as "doing nothing".

Whereas EPs want to do whatever they want at the time.
    EPs want to do what their irrational impulses tell them
    IJs want to do what their own rules tell them
    IPs want to harmonize their inner and outer worlds as much as possible
    EJs want to make an impact on their inner and outer worlds (maybe ?)
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 02-20-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    In mainstream psychology, the pathological manifestation of Si is known as "excessive discomfort avoidance". So Si basically boils down to attitudes of comfort creation/discomfort avoidance. SEIs are mainly focussed on confort creation, whereas SLIs are more into discomfort avoidance.

Interesting. What causes SEI's to want to create comfort as opposed to avoiding discomfort like SLIs, in your own opinion? and where do the mainstream psychologists draw the line between "excessive discomfort avoidance" and normal discomfort avoidance?

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sort of IMO, actually pretty good Si is experiental sensing which involves interpreting the external environment so it senses 'just right' to them. Nice post.

As for the part I edited out, not sure, I would have to think about it