Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hot Veggie Recipes

I'll start with Julia Child's Carottes Glacees (Glazed Carrots!) which we have enjoyed twice now. This dresses up that ordinary winter root veggie and my husband loves it:

2 lbs. carrots
    2 c. beef stock
    6T unsalted butter
    2 1/2 T. sugar
    3-4 turns of the pepper grinder
    salt, to taste
    fresh or dried parsley, optional

Peel, quarter and cut carrots to 2" strips. In large heavy bottomed pan, boil stock, add butter, sugar, pepper. Add carrots, continue boiling, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes until carrots are tender and liquid has reduced to a thick glaze. Taste and salt, sprinkle with parsley.

Its a man-pleaser. Also they have plenty of time to cook while the broth reduces, so quarter them, only. When I cut them to matchstick size the result was like a carrot-mush (but dh liked it anyway!)
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 02-09-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"