Thread: Gustav Klimt

281 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)

Default Gustav Klimt

"I have the gift of neither the spoken nor the written word, especially if I have to say something about myself or my work. Whoever wants to know something about me -as an artist, the only notable thing- ought to look carefully at my pictures and try and see in them what I am and what I want to do."

"I can paint and draw. I believe this myself and a few other people say that they believe this too. But I'm not certain of whether it's true."

"There is nothing that special to see when looking at me."

"Art is a line around your thoughts."
    "All art is erotic."

"True relaxation, which would do me the world of good, does not exist for me."

... As this incident suggests, Klimt was a man of few words, but he made a forceful physical impression. Alfred Lichtwar, the director of the Hamburger Kunsthalle, described him as "a stocky man, more or less chubby" with "the cheerful, brusque manners of a nature boy, a sailor's brown skin, strong cheekbones and little darting eyes. When he speaks, it is with a resounding voice and strong dialect.

A young woman named Frederike Beer-Monti rang on Klimt's doorbell in 1915, hoping he would paint her portrait. She found him both taciturn and formidable. "Klimt took her hand, looked at it, turned it over and for a long time, said not a single word." Beer-Monti was finally allowed to enter. But, "It took a lot of talking to make him a little friendlier." Klimt eventually agreed to paint her - an arduous business which took three sittings of three hours each per week for six months. Though the result was a magnificent picture, Beer-Monti was ambivalent about the artist. "Klimt was exceptionally animal-like. His body exuded a peculiar odour. As a woman, one was really afraid of him.""

(wax figure)

LSI 5w6 sx/so
    144 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

I used to think ILI or IEI. He VIs as a T type though.

His paintings are highly symbolic (archetype-and-myth-oriented) and luxuriant. Abundant eroticized dream-like sequences...

sx/sp > sx/so