TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Best Time to Buy or Sell a House
    http://business.time.com/2012/10/10/...-sell-a-house/

"Here are some timing tips from real estate agents that can save home buyers and sellers a lot of money:
    - The best time to stop renting and buy a house is when it costs less to buy than to rent. Makes sense, but how do you figure that out? Find two similar houses – one for sale and one for rent – and divide the asking price by the annual rent. A rent ratio of 20 or more usually means that it costs considerably more to own than rent after you factor in the mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs and other expenses. It makes financial sense to buy when the rent ratio is a lot closer to 10 than to 20.

- The best month to make an offer on a house is January. Fewer buyers are willing to house-hunt during cold, nasty weather, so there’s less competition and few, if any, bidding wars. Sellers also tend to be more motivated than they will be in the spring, when there are more buyers. Why? They may have just received their credit card bills that reflect Christmas spending and may be feeling financially insecure. And their decision to try to sell their houses in the winter means they’re willing to risk listing during a time of the year when properties tend not show particularly well."

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q9A9di]
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    Except some do jump.
    And some little bastards don't care how big an animal is, they'll go after it it if it dares disturb the lettuce leaves.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Meditation is a way to be narcissistic without hurting anyone” Nassim Taleb

“I actually feel quite self-indulgent at the moment, telling you all about me, me, me.
    (...)
    On the other hand, you're a human -you should understand self obsession.” Markus Zusak

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    C and E come closest to my sleeping position. Personality wise, C sort of fits me. E, yeah right.

Actually I sleep with one arm under the pillow and one arm above it as if I'm trying to protect it. LOL.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I got sucked into reading this this morning after discovering in the back of the refrigerator a suspicious yet hope-instilling can of mayo that was outdated but still seemed usable: tips for keeping food safe (pdf)

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

10+ day old chicken based food led me to this nifty website: StillTasty.com - The Ultimate Guide to Shelf Life

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this will fit in sp. Seriously, if you know someone who develops cancer and is considering delaying traditional treatment in favor of alternative medicine, please hook them up with good info. I have had one friend die of cancer within the last year, and another who is currently dying from it, and both of them began their treatment approach with things like green smoothies and quackery and now it's too fucking late for them.

http://gawker.com/green-juice-will-n...cer-1705579750

Green Juice Will Not Cure Your Cancer

By Kavin Senapathy
    5/28/15

Cancer misinformation runs rampant on the internet. Headlines on “natural living” websites expose the alleged truth about doctors and scientists in cahoots with Big Pharma. According to the self-styled experts behind these stories, so-called studies claim that everything from baking soda to coconut oil to green juice can cure cancer.

Despite the lack of well-controlled studies in medical literature showing that “natural” or food-based therapies are effective in treating cancer, figureheads from politicians to popular bloggers buy into and promote cancer misinformation. Despite persistent and dangerous myths, cancer is not a fungus. Herbs and spices won’t prevent it; soursop, green juice and baking soda won’t cure it. Sugar doesn’t feed cancer, underwire bras don’t trap cancer-causing toxins in your tatas, and “acidic” diets don’t cause it. When it comes to cancer, thinking that food and natural measures are a good alternative to Big Pharma greed can be a deadly choice.

Cancer quackery is among the most heartbreaking unscientific rhetoric. It undermines scientists who spend years of their lives devoted to finding treatments. It minimizes the value of every life saved by science-based medicine. So-called natural beauty treatments and diet fads are all relatively benign bullshit, so we can let them slide. But so-called natural cancer treatments aren’t so benign. This propaganda leads to the deaths of those who could have otherwise survived with science-based medical treatment.

Still, I understand why these myths are so ubiquitous. Cancer is a menacing specter—if we haven’t suffered from it ourselves, chances are at least one of our loved ones has been among the million-plus Americans diagnosed with the disease each year. Add pervasive distrust of Big Pharma and science and a dash of the “natural is better” fallacy, and we have a recipe for misinformation gone awry.

All-natural cancer

At the most basic level, cancer is cells growing out of control. Despite popular myths that it’s a modern man-made disease, cancer is as natural as a tornado in Kansas, and it is caused by genetic mutations. When the genomes in our cells function properly, they tell our cells when to multiply and prosper, when not to grow, and when to kick the bucket. Other genes code for proteins that repair damage to DNA.

Our DNA is constantly replicating itself; every time a cell divides it has to copy three billion characters. Errors that aren’t corrected during cell division are known as mutations, and these mutations accumulate as we age. This happens regularly, and usually doesn’t cause major problems. Sometimes a mutation will eventually cause diseases including cancer when combined with new mutations in subsequent cell divisions. Certain people are born with mutations inherited from one of our parents, drastically increasing our risk of developing cancer (like Angelina Jolie’s BRCA mutation). If certain genetic loci eventually hit a “perfect storm” of mutations, cells will begin to grow out of control and boom, cancer.

The earliest description of cancer was discovered on a papyrus in Egypt and dates back to 3000 B.C. There is evidence of cancer in mummified human remains. The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, is credited with the origin of the word, having used “carcinos” and “carcinoma” to describe tumors. Unless ancient Egyptians were mired in Big Pharma conspiracies or caused their own cancer with toxins, it’s safe to say that cancer is an inherent part of human life. Modern, man-made disease? I don’t think so.

Further, cancers are not one umbrella malady. The heterogeneity of cancer cells within even one patient or one tumor is astounding, meaning the mutations in one part of a tumor will vary from those in another part. Many cancers are primarily due to bad luck and are not preventable, though this doesn’t stop purveyors of cancer myths from implying that eating the right foods or avoiding alleged toxins can keep the disease at bay or cure it.

Fraud vs. fact

While we do have control of certain aspects of our health, it’s misleading to imply that one’s choices in diet dictate whether or not they get or survive cancer. Depending on the situation, sometimes lifestyle does contribute to a cancer diagnosis, though much of the time genetics and bad luck are the main culprits. The big cancer-causing lifestyle and environmental factors are obesity, drinking alcohol, tobacco use, sun and radon gas exposure, certain infectious agents like HPV, and environmental pollutants.

Factors that don’t cause cancer include genetically engineered foods, vaccines, sugar, and caramel coloring in lattes. Things that don’t prevent or treat cancer include organic foods, herbal remedies, coconut oil, coffee enemas, kale, turmeric, and green juice. Yes, cancers are immeasurably more complex than I’ve described them here and yes, healthy diet and lifestyle are important. But what experts deem healthy comes from the weight of scientific evidence. What alternative medicine shills deem “healthy” comes from an alluring fairy tale.

Let’s take BRCA mutations and breast cancer. Experts advise early screening, “prophylactic” (preventative) removal of breast and or ovary tissue, or chemoprevention drugs to reduce cancer risk. Natural health proponents, on the other hand suggest “preventing cancer naturally,” with “the best foods on the planet,” including grapes and peanuts. The expert recommendations are evidence-based, whereas the Green Med Infos and Food Babes of the world? Their advice usually has roots in lone, cherry-picked scientific studies that are grossly misinterpreted, turning molehill results into mountains of false hope. Again, just because a compound found in a certain fruit or nut interacts favorably with cells in vitro doesn’t mean that eating lots of grapes will prevent cancer if you have a deleterious mutation.

Alternative medicine hawkers almost always have something to sell, even as they demonize Big Pharma for greed. Articles cloaked in seemingly scientific terms are nothing more than convincing drivel disguised as expertise. Sites like Natural News, Eden Prescription, and Truth About Cancer boast that certain herbs or fruits “kill cancer cells in vitro!!!” Just because something kills cancer cells in vitro, meaning in a petri dish or test tube in a lab setting, doesn’t mean it will do the same in a living organism’s body (in vivo). It’s actually not that hard to kill cancer cells in a dish. It is quite challenging to do the same in a living breathing person, without harming his healthy cells.

“Natural” treatments that kill

Twice as many people are surviving cancer today than in 1992. According to National Cancer Institute data, cancer deaths fell by 22 percent from 1990 to 2011. This is largely because of advances in DNA sequencing technologies and genomic medicine, and the hard work of scientists at government agencies, academia, and private sector. We’re now in the infant stages of treating cancer patients based on the specific mutations unique to their cancers, and these breakthroughs are tremendously promising.

When asked whether cancer will be a far less dire sentence for my children’s children than for millennials like me, Mayo Clinic cancer researcher and Technology Assessment Committee Chairman Dr. David I. Smith told me, “You don’t even have to go out as far as your children’s children. As a matter of fact, and I’m a generation and a half back from you, my generation needs to hold on a little longer. For your children? We’re going to have such levels of sophistication. It moves so quickly.”

Sophistication indeed. Treatment is different from one breast cancer patient to another, from one colon cancer patient to the next. To think that people are raking in money promoting foods, herbs, and oils to prevent and cure cancer would be laughable if it weren’t so damn tragic.

But it happens. Simultaneously a victim and a perpetrator of cancer quackery, Jess Ainscough, an Australian blogger, model, and fashion writer, died earlier this year at the age of 30. She suffered from epithelioid sarcoma, an aggressive and rare form of cancer that presented as tumor masses in her arm and shoulder. She was diagnosed with this cancer at age 22. After unsuccessful chemotherapy, doctors advised amputation of her left arm and shoulder.

Instead Ainscough embraced the Gerson Protocol, which involves consuming the juice of over twenty pounds of fruits and veggies, downing castor oil, and taking up to five coffee enemas on a daily basis. She branded herself the “Wellness Warrior,” claiming that she was healing naturally and encouraged others to do the same. The American Cancer Society condemns the Gerson Protocol as ineffective and even harmful, and U.S. Food and Drug Administration hasn’t approved it. Still, Ainscough gained legions of fans worldwide who followed her “natural” approach to the disease and cheered on her recovery.

But Ainscough did not recover. She died, and so did her mother, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in the spring of 2011. Sharyn Ainscough also pursued the Gerson Protocol as treatment for her cancer. She died in October 2013. Doctors say this was Sharyn’s expected prognosis without recommended medical treatment.

Ainscough’s story could have ended differently. Though she and her supporters argued that her cancer was incurable, experts disagree. Well-known surgical oncologist and blogger David Gorski wrote, “Jess Ainscough had a shot, one good shot. That’s usually the case for most cancers; your first shot is your best shot, and we as cancer doctors need to make it count.” While Ainscough’s only hope to extend her life was an amputation that would have left her with one arm, most cancer patients’ science-based treatments aren’t quite as horrific. Though combinations of chemotherapy and radiation are far from pleasant, they pale in comparison to life without a limb.

Yet, Ainscough encouraged cancer patients with more promising prognoses than her own to heal using ineffective methods, potentially putting them in harm’s way. She was also making a tidy profit on this line of advice, turning her belief system into a business. While kale and coffee enemas demonstrably will not cure cancer, Ainscough hid her deteriorating condition from her adoring fans. Though she eventually admitted that Gerson therapy wasn’t working, the damage had already been done. Patients with far better odds than her own lost precious time during which mainstream treatment could have helped. Though it’s hard to quantify how many people Ainscough’s false hope doomed, even one death from rejecting mainstream treatment is one life too many.

“Natural” treatments that work

Mother Nature sometimes does offer cancer treatments, but they don’t come in the form of herbal supplements and powders from questionable online dispensaries.

When something “natural” has cancer fighting properties, like the drug Taxol, which is derived from the bark of the Pacific yew tree, it’s not the “natural cure Big Pharma doesn’t want you to know about.” Scientists systematically study the naturally occurring compound over years and even decades, and sometimes it can be developed into a lifesaving drug.

As Dr. Smith told me about distrust of scientists, “If there were cures for cancer, we’d be seeing them. It’s not like we have something that we don’t want to make available to people.” Though alternative medicine shills would like you to believe you can simply consume a dietary supplement to naturally fight or prevent cancer, it just doesn’t work that way. Indeed, researchers are doing their best and we should cheer them on. The real villains are those telling you that fruit pills will cure cancer. Anyone who says mainstream medicine is a conspiracy? I’ll hand you a tinfoil hat and send you on your way.

-----
    Kavin Senapathy is a mom of two, a freelance writer, and a science popularizer. Her passion is debunking unscientific media misinformation, often known as “woo.”
    Her regular column about unscientific gaffes in the media can be found under hashtag #KavinCantEven. Find her on Facebook and Twitter.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't care about the vast majority of these topics. maybe i'm not really sp first.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    i don't care about the vast majority of these topics. maybe i'm not really sp first.
    I don't either.

I'm actually thinking about so/sp/sx stacking for myself for a different reason.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    I don't either.

I'm actually thinking about so/sp/sx stacking for myself for a different reason.
    Post something you care about then

I think self-pres expresses itself differently depending on the entire stacking - sp of so/sp is quite different from sp of sp/sx to the point that they may not completely relate to each other.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post

I think self-pres expresses itself differently depending on the entire stacking - sp of so/sp is quite different from sp of sp/sx to the point that they may not completely relate to each other.
    I care about socionics.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post

does it ever express itself in ways unrelated to food, heath, interior decorating, painting your nails, guarding your stuff like a hound dog, or stocking resources for the apocalypse?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

does it ever express itself in ways unrelated to food, heath, interior decorating, painting your nails, guarding your stuff like a hound dog, or stocking resources for the apocalypse?

Self-preservation instinct is the first instinct to have evolved. This is an orientation towards survival, health, and comfort. SP drive checks in with the body: "Is this not enough or too much?" and orients by what the body reports on its needs. Of the three instincts, this is the oldest one; it dictates: “I must survive.” Animals are highly attuned to their self-preservation needs. Modern humans, however, are somewhat more distant from basic survival needs. That is, we have more sophistication in the sphere of physical needs and more complex regulation—once survival is taken care of, we aim for comfort and pleasure.

The SP energy manifests as "conserved", "grounded", "tightly coiled", "planted", "immovable". The energy is usually heavy in its nature, as if the person is carrying some great weight on his or her shoulders and conserving energy for later personal use. This subtype will "sacrifice for self" to insure survival, rather than look to their group or mate to resolve their problems and challenges. Self-preservation types may forgo social standing or intensity of experience for physical comfort, security, and other factors that ensure their own survival. For example, a sp-first person may have "princess and the pea" syndrome, refusing to sleep on most mattresses because they simply don’t feel right. These people "look inward" based upon an inherent recognition that "I'm on my own" and "I have to take care of myself."

Self-preservation instinct responds to practical concerns of everyday life. SP types express concern centering around issues of security, food and health, employment, sustainability. At times this may make them look like enneagram head types, because they be in habit of planning to predict unforeseen mishaps or possible breaches in their security. In addition, the comfort seeking element to SP types can cause them to appear like gut types because of their desire to avoid too much complication or “fuss”.

In relationships, sp-first people focus on nesting, building a cozy home with someone, or may fantasize about such scenarios. Key words: self-maintenance, domesticity, practical know-how, finances, work, establishing practical foundation in life, back-up plans, fear of scarcity.

In neurotic SP types, there is fear of not having enough resources, food, shelter. This fear can distort the natural use of the instinct and turn into eating disorders, compulsive buying, or hoarding. There is a tendency to shore up resources and possibly a strong sense of being frugal or sometimes even downright cheap. This is because resources must be properly maintained to ensure survival for themselves and those within their sphere.

Self-preservation drive is fundamental to virtually all life forms. In threatening conditions all of us are become dominated by survival instincts. However, in circumstances where our health, life or security are not in any immediate danger, this instinct will take a back seat in individuals dominated by the sexual or social instincts.

Topics SP types might bring up in conversation: food, dining out, dieting, nutrition, health, fitness, appearance and looks, money, savings and sales, shopping, quality or durability of objects, clothing, design, home decor, employment, benefits, insurance, comfort, strength, vitality, sickness, death, discomfort, noise, safety, security, environment, resource management, physical sciences, engineering, architecture.

Summary of SP instinct:

primary concerns - physical safety, comfort, and well-being; securing an orderly and aesthetically pleasing way of life (food, clothing, money, housing, and physical health)
    primary focus - security, comfort, and well-being of the environment (lighting, temperature, comfortable furniture, aesthetics, food quality)
    primary ambition - using practicality and financial sense to create a secure environment in the home and workplace (paying bills, acquiring skills to ensure the orderly flow of life)
    primary stresses - money, sustenance (how they will get food, when it will come, if they will like it, if it fits their diet)
    coping methods (unhealthy) - over-stocking, overbuying, overeating, overpurging, oversleeping, undersleeping, overindulging in aesthetics or comfort foods, mistreatment of comfort and security as is skewed by the secondary instinct

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm adding in that it's not just about physical survival. SP includes protecting one's self psychologically and/or emotionally as well.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

http://reichandlowentherapy.org/Content/Challenges/survival.html(yeah I know not limited to sp only, but still the overall theme and everything...maybe one facet of the whole picture, just like with everything...)
    Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 03-28-2016 at 09:21 PM.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)