View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens/extraterrestrials exist?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll believe it when I see one

    7 13.46%
  • I do believe in aliens

    23 44.23%
  • I don't believe in aliens

    2 3.85%
  • I think we have made contact with aliens, the government knows, and they aren't telling the public

    7 13.46%
  • I've seen a UFO/alien

    7 13.46%
  • The men in black told me I can't say anything

    4 7.69%
  • I am an alien

    14 26.92%
  • I think aliens could actually be gods, angels, demons in history

    10 19.23%
  • Aliens could be responsible for missing link

    3 5.77%
  • Aliens could be real/we haven't made contact and/or it's not intelligent

    17 32.69%
  • Aliens have made contact/government isn't hiding anything

    0 0%
  • Other

    9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 110

Thread: Do you believe aliens exist

  1. #1
    To the Waters and the Wild reverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Do you believe aliens exist

    .
    Last edited by reverie; 07-19-2015 at 09:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Do I believe aliens exists? Like illegal immigrants... Sure. Like alien vs predator... No. Is it possible there is life on other planets... Yes. Is it possible they have contacted us and the majority of us don't know... Not very likely.

  3. #3
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,809
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Duh, they exist. Given the size of the universe, it'd be ridiculous to say otherwise.

    That said, I don't believe that we have been contacted or visited by any extraterrestrials, but I'm open minded to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  4. #4
    Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Duh, they exist. Given the size of the universe, it'd be ridiculous to say otherwise..
    Indeed, the universe is too immense for it to only have humans as "evolved" beings




  5. #5
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    we're arrogant enough to think something like us needs to exist, maybe because we're too scared of accepting the possibility that we're completely alone in the cold unfeeling cosmos.

  6. #6
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    I will explain my votes later, maybe. since the reasons I voted, the way I did, is probably not what you may think. It is more of an "inner" experience.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you mean aliens in general or aliens that have already visited earth? Specifically the theories that religious figures were aliens? Then moving onto aliens mixed their DNA with bonobos to create humans? As I think that is what ancient aliens refers to.

    If so then no but they make entertaining stories until the brainwashing stalwarts get onto it.

  8. #8
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,809
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    we're arrogant enough to think something like us needs to exist, maybe because we're too scared of accepting the possibility that we're completely alone in the cold unfeeling cosmos.
    It's more satistics than arrogance. I think it'd actually be more arrogant to believe that earth is "special and unique" in that it's the only place in the whole universe that has the right conditions to support life. Mathematically, this is quite unlikely.

    Also, just because another planet can support life doesn't mean it has to be intelligent life, or anything like us. I actually believe super advanced civilizations are probably a lot more rare than say, planets that only house simpler lifeforms like bacteria. Hell, it's been proven that even Mars had bacteria at one point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  9. #9
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's very likely organic compounds from comets/meteorites have reached earths and have perhaps introduced extra-terrestrial organic substances into the ecosystem, I won't believe intelligent aliens have reached earth, but there's a good bit of evidence and statistically its' quite possible in the last few hundred million years something of a life form hit this planet via a comet/meteor.

  10. #10
    Cat Lady aixelsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To super advanced extraterrestrials, I say doubtful. I suppose it's possible, but considering the age of the universe, it would be fantastical for life of that intelligence to have evolved in the 13 some billion years since the Big Bang.

    Alien animals and species comparable to homo sapiens, I can believe it.
    Life's a bitch and she's got me pussy whipped.

  11. #11
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If amino acids can spontaneously form from organic molecules and propagate with fecundity on our planet, then in all likelihood it has done so on others. But no, I do not think that aliens have had a hand in any human culture ever. I've seen that guy's TV show, and all he asks are leaning questions with no real merit. Its all pure rhetoric.

    Would be so amazing though, to encounter another species that is conscious of its own consciousness and reaches out across the empty universe to find other life. I think they would have had to solve the distance problem, as the known upper absolute limit in physics is the speed of light, and light is not fast enough to travel within the parameters that life must follow, which is another set of laws in physics.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  12. #12
    The sleeping beauty Velvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just private.

  13. #13
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    If amino acids can spontaneously form from organic molecules and propagate with fecundity on our planet, then in all likelihood it has done so on others.
    that's an idiotic generalization....just because human life occurs here neither increases nor decreases the likelihood of alien life forms.

  14. #14
    Chains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes they exist, and they need to know that Jesus died for their sins.

    aaa.jpg

  15. #15
    Roro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    TIM
    6 sp
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There's that possibility. My thought is yes, until proven otherwise. Not seeing them doesn't mean that they don't exist, so I tend to dismiss "but you haven't seen them, so you're a loon for believing" comments that some throw out -- isn't it just as loony to claim the knowing the 'truth of non-existence' when you yourself have no evidence?

  16. #16
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,727
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course they exist. Many of them are from Mexico.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't believe in the existence of anything outside my own town.

  18. #18
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    that's an idiotic generalization....just because human life occurs here neither increases nor decreases the likelihood of alien life forms.
    Of course it does, but not directly as you are insinuating.

    Just by the improbable fact biological life has occurred on Earth means statistically speaking the spontaneous ordering of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and carbon must have occurred numerous times on alien worlds throughout the Universe's history. Why? Because of the sheer volume of life supporting planets that actually exists in the known Universe. Some of them have been discovered in recent years.

    If life arose here than in all likelihood it is actually a very common event, we just don't have the ability to perceive life's ubiquitous nature because we are limited by our natural faculties, such as sight, smell, intelligence as well as our technologies. These can extend our ability to investigate other worlds with vision never before seen, such as viewing the universe through a gamma ray, radio, or ultraviolet telescopes. Maybe some day we will have the capacity to directly observe organized organic matter on other worlds, but for now we rely on common sense: because life occurred on our planet, against all odds, then in fact it must be quite a resilient enough phenomenon to have occurred on other planets as well.

    And when did I say human life exclusively? Why could not an alien life form evolve by process of natural selection and develop higher forms of intelligence, such as developing the ability to alter its own genetic destiny, or alter the physics of its planets and space to further their own evolution?

    Humans are not the center of the universe, we are just a highly evolved form of great ape that likes to be clever. Is it not incredible that a form of life reaches out into space and ponders its own existence? Its incredible, actually.

    Curiosity might not be the exclusive property of mankind.
    Last edited by wacey; 02-04-2015 at 04:45 AM.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  19. #19
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,472
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Americans are the real aliens in what was Northern Mexico.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  20. #20
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Of course it does, but not directly as you are insinuating.

    Just by the improbable fact biological life has occurred on Earth means statistically speaking the spontaneous ordering of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and carbon must have occurred numerous times on alien worlds throughout the Universe's history. Why? Because of the sheer volume of life supporting planets that actually exists in the known Universe. Some of them have been discovered in recent years.

    If life arose here than in all likelihood it is actually a very common event, we just don't have the ability to perceive life's ubiquitous nature because we are limited by our natural faculties, such as sight, smell, intelligence as well as our technologies. These can extend our ability to investigate other worlds with vision never before seen, such as viewing the universe through a gamma ray, radio, or ultraviolet telescopes. Maybe some day we will have the capacity to directly observe organized organic matter on other worlds, but for now we rely on common sense: because life occurred on our planet, against all odds, then in fact it must be quite a resilient enough phenomenon to have occurred on other planets as well.

    And when did I say human life exclusively? Why could not an alien life form evolve by process of natural selection and develop higher forms of intelligence, such as developing the ability to alter its own genetic destiny, or alter the physics of its planets and space to further their own evolution?

    Humans are not the center of the universe, we are just a highly evolved form of great ape that likes to be clever. Is it not incredible that a form of life reaches out into space and ponders its own existence? Its incredible, actually.

    Curiosity might not be the exclusive property of mankind.
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

    picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

    see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.

  21. #21
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    I did this before and scored higher. My interests have changed somewhat. hahah

    http://pleiadesx.com/starquiz.htm



    How Did You Score?
    Auto-Computed Score from above: 82

    40 + ... You may have some ancestral roots in the Pleiades
    50 + ... You have some cousins out there
    60 + ... They are 1st cousins
    70 + ... You will be, or have been, contacted ~ do not be afraid -- it was for a family reunion.
    80 + ... You will have a special place in the 5th world, prepare for it.
    90 + ... Start preparing NOW! In some way they will connect you to your purpose.

    Last edited by Aylen; 02-04-2015 at 03:58 PM.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I did this before and scored higher. My interests have changed somewhat. hahah

    http://pleiadesx.com/starquiz.htm



    How Did You Score?
    Auto-Computed Score from above: 82

    40 + ... You may have some ancestral roots in the Pleiades
    50 + ... You have some cousins out there
    60 + ... They are 1st cousins
    70 + ... You will be, or have been, contacted ~ do not be afraid -- it was for a family reunion.
    80 + ... You will have a special place in the 5th world, prepare for it.
    90 + ... Start preparing NOW! In some way they will connect you to your purpose.

    Nibiru is on it's way, didn't you see there was a .0083 seismic register along the Great Glen fault line which was really caused by the orbital probe crash landing and is awaiting reactivation from the more benevolent Greys?

  23. #23
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Nibiru is on it's way, didn't you see there was a .0083 seismic register along the Great Glen fault line which was really caused by the orbital probe crash landing and is awaiting reactivation from the more benevolent Greys?


    I was in chat once, a few years ago. I think it was around the time Nibiru was supposed to either pass or hit earth. I forget the specifics. Everyone was talking about how they would react and this guy said he would make a sign that said "HithereNibiru" and hold it up in his front yard. It was a typo and I read it as "hit here Nibiru" so I asked why he wanted it to hit us. He said it was supposed to read "Hi there Nibiru". Not sure why that has stuck in my memory. I found it funny at the time.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  24. #24
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

    picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

    see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.
    Polar bears are remarkably specific. Of course there are no polar bears in other parts of the Universe!

    However, the basic chemistry that caused life to occur on Earth is extremely common. The base biological elements are found in abundance everywhere in the Universe. Astronomers are discovering planets that have liquid water, AND oxygen. Carbon and hydrogen are basically the most common form of matter in the Universe...so, you have all four of these elements, then no its not blind optimism, its realistic pragmatism that life exsists elsewhere.

    Your stupid rebuttal is incredibly myopic.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  25. #25
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,288
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Planet Earth is a typical rocky planet in a typical planetary system, located in a non-exceptional region of a common barred-spiral galaxy. Are you familiar with the concept of mediocrity?

    "if an item is drawn at random, from one of several sets of categories, its likelier to come from the most numerous category than from anyone of the less numerous categories ".

    This principle is what I am suggesting when I say there is nothing very unusual about the evolution of our solar system, the Earth, organic life, humans. The idea is to assume mediocrity, rather than starting with the assumption that the phenomenon of life is somehow special, privileged, exceptional or unique to this planet alone.
    "Traffic lights and loneliness. Paper cans and tape cassettes. When the world feels like this. Static shocks and bitterness."

  26. #26
    The sleeping beauty Velvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I scored 83. I believe in a lot of unorthodox things.

  27. #27
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I believe they exist, though not as intensively as I used to. sightings/contact are generally unreliable, not just because there are government projects which have overlap, but I still think there's something to them (although being abducted by greys is another matter). generally I would assume intelligence relatively superior to our own, and modes of communication/travel that exceed the bounds of our senses/normal perception.

    I experienced something like contact when tripping 2ce for the first time. after about a capsule and a half, I basically reached a point of consciousness where I couldn't even seriously conceive of death, it was as if I was coasting on this kind of para-platonic level where all there was was pure, unadulterated reality. anyway I soon began seeing vivid shapes and figures forming, more as shadows/apparitions than actual objects, but what stood out to me was a weird, almost invasive sense of recognition... I don't know how to explain it other than consciousness recognizing itself. and that carried on, on and off, for about thirty minutes.

    other than that I've seen a handful of UFOs, but am hesitant to believe they were (all) of alien origin.
    Last edited by strrrng; 02-07-2015 at 06:04 AM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  28. #28
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,472
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We live in the outer regions of the galaxy, far away from the interior. The interior is older than the periphery and has a denser concentration of stars; assuming that these conditions are amenable enough for a greater concentration of life to emerge, it's our best bet for finding civilizations that are more advanced than we are.

    Further away from core, closer to the edge of the galaxy, we're more likely to find younger and less advanced civilizations than us.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  29. #29
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    re: "statistics" and "math"

    we are not the masters of the universe and our current understanding of nature on that scale ranges from extremely limited to delusional. how much do you think we know about other planets in our solar system even? embarrassingly little. we are still figuring out how black holes actually work. no idea why gravity decides to randomly defy the norm sometimes in far off objects / what dark matter or dark energy is / whether the universe is expanding or not. no idea whether carbon-based life is the only form of life that can exist, and what environments would it thrive in. you would think a species so advanced that they can make blanket statements about life being a statistical necessity would know these rudimentary facts about the universe, but hey math. alright.

  30. #30
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can they bring me food?

  31. #31
    killer wolf lemontrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    emotionz
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to believe aliens don't exist, but then I started believing in socionics so...

    things I now believe to [possibly] exist:

    -enneagram
    -a weird spiritual order to the universe
    -afterlife ?
    -aliens (??!)
    There was no place that destruction did not touch...At best it made everything feel flooded, urgent, while pushing towards decay and exposing the imminent failure of managing to maintain a form at all. Inside this was the kernel of wholeness. She could be broken down into a small, granular piece, a bit of debris jostling against other bits of debris, and in that friction there was some sense of having a boundary or a presence, and that thing-ness of the self, reduced to a basic instinctive sensation, was an almost-nothing feeling that, in its small hard knot of a numb halo, made it clear to her that you were here, you were now.

  32. #32
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    50:12 We created man. We know the promptings of his soul, and are closer to him than the vein of his neck.


    86:11 For every soul there is a guardian watching over it. Let man reflect from what he is created. He is created from an ejected fluid that issues from between the loins and the ribs.

    and that's from the Koran? way to put us in our place. kinda harsh.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  33. #33
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its always bugs me why most people who believe in aliens or whatever-its-out-there, thinks they are anthropomorphic. Like, what if they are like... wasp-alien-form of silicon or simply created from other elements. Anyway, I do believe in life outerspace. Source: I'm an alien (?).

  34. #34
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    its always bugs me why most people who believe in aliens or whatever-its-out-there, thinks they are anthropomorphic. Like, what if they are like... wasp-alien-form of silicon or simply created from other elements. Anyway, I do believe in life outerspace. Source: I'm an alien (?).
    I think that they would appear to someone in a way the person could relate to. I personally like the electric blue zig zag energy type of aliens.

    Could this be true? I don't see why not. Perception is a funny thing.


    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  35. #35
    ouronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    TIM
    &*self
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Aliens fucked monkeys and here we are.

  36. #36
    Cat Lady aixelsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I used to believe aliens don't exist, but then I started believing in socionics so...

    things I now believe to [possibly] exist:

    -enneagram
    -a weird spiritual order to the universe
    -afterlife ?
    -aliens (??!)
    It's a slippery slope.
    Life's a bitch and she's got me pussy whipped.

  37. #37
    Chains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


  38. #38
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    OMG only when they bring me pizza

  39. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Perhaps we should first establish if there is intelligent life on earth.

  40. #40
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    A good example of Ne PoLR. Almost textbook. To support again my ESI typing of you.
    always start your argument with a healthy dose of confirmation bias.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Our solar system has 8 planets and 5 dwarf planets. Of those 8 planets, we know for sure life is on 1, of course, out of the 8, and it's most probable that there was life on Mars as well (some scientists suggest this is proven, but we'll give benefit of the doubt, and consider this a 'maybe'). So you can say at least in our solar system, there was a 12.5% chance of life per planet, 1/8, and *maybe* a 25% chance of life per planet, 2/8. We're still buffooning around trying to conclude the existence of life on a planet right next to us; but even in our small sample set, we know there was a 12.5% chance of intelligent life. 25% chance *maybe* of some kind of life.
    if we're counting arbitrary quantities why not include asteroids, moons, and dwarf planets, some of which fall technically under our definition of "habitable", and exclude gas giants which technically could never host life? questions questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    What if we applied that same ratio to other known solar systems within our Milky Way Galaxy?
    slow down carl sagan.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Well, our solar system is actually the largest with 8 planets. There are 2 solar systems with 7 planets (14 more planets), 2 solar systems with 6 planets (12 more planets), 15 solar systems with 5 planets (75 more planets), 49 solar systems with 4 planets (196 more planets), 98 solar systems with 3 planets (294 more planets), and about 300 solar systems with 2 planets (about 600 more planets). That gives a total of about 1,199 planets in 467 solar systems, or 1,191 planets outside of our solar system.

    If we use the same ratio of 12.5% chance of intelligent life, as taken from the sample set of our very own solar system, and apply it to the rest of the known solar systems in the Milky Way Galaxy, we could estimate there are approximately 1,199*12.5%=149.9 planets out there with intelligent life in our area of the galaxy. Let's round down and say only 149. And there would be an estimated 1,199*25%= 299.8 planets with some kind of life.

    Astronomers have found over 500 solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy, and that number is constantly growing as new ones are discovered. But here's way it gets crazy - those 500 solar systems are only in our small 'neighborhood' of the Milky Way Galaxy. Scientists estimate there are tens of BILLIONS of SOLAR SYSTEMS - possibly as many as 100 billion solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy.

    100 billion is a big number. That's 100,000,000,000. Most of us won't ever make that much money or dollars in our lifetime - but consider that each of those is a SOLAR SYSTEM with a chance of intelligent life. - so whatever $$$ you make in your bi-weekly paycheck, think of each dollar as an entire SOLAR SYSTEM with a sun just like our own, and a chance of intelligent life.

    In our known solar systems, we have about 1,199 planets in 467, or about 2.567 planets per solar system. Let's apply that same ratio to the estimate of 100 billion solar systems in our galaxy, and we can estimate there are 256,700,000,000 planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. If we apply the same ratio of 12.5% chance of intelligent life, we can estimate there are 32,087,500,000 planets with intelligent life in the entire galaxy, or 64,175,000,000 planets with some kind of life.

    The chances of the Earth being some immaculate exception are statistically extremely low. If my point hasn't been proven yet, here's where it gets even crazier. Astronomers estimate there are at least 100 billion GALAXIES in the observable UNIVERSE. So if we apply the same ratio of intelligent life from our solar system and the same ratio of planets to solar systems from our galaxy to other galaxies, we can estimate there are 32,087,500,000 (# of planets with intelligent life estimate) * 100,000,000,000 (# of galaxies in the observable universe to get 3,208,750,000,000,000,000,000. That means there are an estimated 3,208,750,000,000,000,000,000 planets with intelligent life in our universe, or 6,417,500,000,000,000,000,000 planets with some kind of life.

    But what if the Earth is somewhat of an anomaly? What if the chances of having a habitable planet are smaller in other solar systems and in other galaxies? Well, logically, the chances of it being 'less' for things we don't know could also be the same likelihood that it could be 'more'. But what do the professionals think?

    As of January 2013, the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics estimated that there are 17 billion, or 17,000,000,000 planets with Earth-like planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. (More than the estimates I gave above!) But according to researchers at the University of Auckland in April of 2013, there could be 100 billion, or 100,000,000,000 Earth-like planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. NOW - multiply that with their estimates of 500 billion galaxies in the universe (again, higher than the conservative estimates I gave above!), and that results in 50 sextillion habitable planets in the universe, or 5x10^22, or 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 habitable, Earth-like planets in our universe.

    So what are the chances that the Earth is some special exception, considering there are an estimated 49,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 other Earth-like habitable planets like us? As you can see, Radio, the chances are MATHEMATICALLY, STATISTICALLY, extremely low.
    castles in the sky, because you don't understand how statistics work (see above) and you are basing your entire argument on a faulty premise. i get the general idea you're trying to convey, but i'm not forgiving that creative Ti of yours to get something so rudimentary so so wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It's not really a question of IF there is intelligent life, but a question of WHEN we'll meet intelligent life besides us.
    yeah and there's an invisible immaterial unicorn dancing on my table but you can't touch, feel, sense or smell it. okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    As you can see, Radio, your blanket dismissal of math and the probability of other life existing on other planets based on some blanket emotional assumption of 'arrogance' and 'delusion' is, well, as Starfall put it, actually more arrogant.
    sure, i am still making logically sound arguments with a basis in empirical facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Ne is defined by the Socionics Institute as "Capabilities, ability, guess, uncertainty, suddenly, polysemy, ability to see the gist, perception of the whole, inner structure, invention, chance"

    and Ne-PoLR topics that break communication are "Superfluous information, vague perspectives, “what if?”
    not interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •