Thread: Si & Health Deterioration

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Si & Health Deterioration

Is Si responsible for being aware of how unhealthy or healthy you're becoming over time?

Say you drink a lot, eat crap a lot and you don't notice your body gradually becoming more sucky at digestion, burning fat, keeping muscle, healthy skin, etc, is this a result of unvalued and/or unconscious Si?

Personally, I'm aware of this kind of thing. Very aware, it almost provides a natural check on my health. I am instantly aware if I'm unhealthy, and going without eating for more than 5-8 hours squeezes my brain together til I can barely think.

I'm interested in your experiences and your type to see if I can put a pattern to this.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hmm I gotta think about this

Si derives experience from impressions that the objects or things make on the person.

For example while Se strives to eat ice cream, Si re-lives the taste of the pleasantness of the ice cream.

So what we are talking about with Si is simply the experience is not sought because it is often in the person's mind

While Se is busy acquiring experience, Si is sitting or laying on the couch and day dreaming

I have Si in my subconscious. I don't like sitting on the couch and day dream nor do I get lost in pleasant sensations. As far as observation of states in others I think it's only in so far as they can tell what relaxed is so when they observe others rushing or in an unpleasant feeling they comment on it based on their experience.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 01-22-2015 at 05:48 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Si is related to touch, objects give off kinetic energy () which 'touches' your body and makes you feel pain or pleasure. How this relates to health, eg. when you eat something your body's digestive system feels the kinetic impact of these foods being broken down, and strong Si feels the pain of certain foods strongly and begins to resist them and next time they eat something different, recalling past experiences ()
    weak needs a stronger 'kinetic impact' to register that some foods hurt, and so are going to go longer without resisting them, without changing their diets or lifestyles to be more optimal. Over the years this causes physical deterioration.
    Also the resistance itself creates additional sensations in the body that add onto the original ones.this is where the subjectivity of si comes in, si egos don't only feel the kinetic energy of the object, but also their opposition to it, making their si experience inseparable from the object itself (and creates 'muscle memories', which trigger everytime the object is experienced again, giving it added impact)

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think the best, broadest definition of Si is "homeostasis," defined here as something like, "maintaining the stability of the internal environment."

Everyone needs homeostasis. You'd systemically break down without it.

Si, having a rich interior world of sensory information, can apparently enact this process directly and without neurosis.

Any type of person can be out of touch with their health status, though. If bad health is type-related at all, maybe it would be in the how. Work yourself to death? Eat yourself to death? Stay in an overaroused emotional state until your health breaks down? Disconnect from people, when relationships are vital to long-term well-being?

To answer your question using Si-polr as a case study, ime some Si-polr people I've known are extremely negligent of their health. Some are hypochondriacal. Some fall in the middle. I've known a couple of them who were very sporty, so apart from injuries, they stayed in good physical condition. And others have someone in their life who firmly pushes them to look after their health in a loving way.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think the most health unaware people I know are IEE. The ones I know are so hard on their bodies.

IEE 1. She owned a donut shop and her diet was 90% donuts. This lasted for 5+ years. She was naturally thin and had a nice figure so she never thought about changing her diet. The only reason she eats real food now is because her husband (LSE) cooks and makes her eat. He brings her oatmeal in bed every morning, etc.

IEE 2. She went from doing the atkins diet to becoming a strict vegan to becoming anorexic and working out non-stop. She goes from extreme to extreme. She went from having tattoos all over her body to getting all of her tattoos lasered off.

IEE 3. He will starve himself because he wants to be model chic but then we'll go out to dinner and he'll eat an entire pizza (by himself) with thick crust, extra cheese, nacho cheese and ranch smothered all over it. Every meal we have together is a version of this. He drinks Starbucks iced espressos all day with extra shots of espresso, and chain smokes. He'll complain about having a stomach ache and then eat an entire pint of icecream. Now he's losing muscle mass, he's thinner than he used to be but in a bad way. Becoming skin and bones.

IEEs 4 & 5. They eat only fast food. Hypochondriacs - google/webmd everything. Constantly going to the doctor or calling their doctor over nothing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like dining at McDonalds and drinking energy drinks. Does this make me anti-Si???

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si interprets the sensory world through their inner sensory impressions of it, so if the body isn't healthy, they'll have a poorer inner experience of the external world.

Maintaining health is then a by-product of this, but essential, it means Si dominant types, being attuned to how their body interprets the world, wants to have a good working body to maximize their interface with it (Si).

Any type can become unhealthy, but Si base - and ego types, will have a better idea of how much they need to go to restore a balance of a healthy body. If your weakness is Si, or you're seeking it, you'll not really know how much is too much, or too little, or the little attenuations required to get just the right body/world balance.