Default The Mindy Project

Mindy Lahiri: Fe-leading
    Danny Castellano: Ti-leading
    Jeremy Reed: Se-leading

Gwen Grandy: EII
    Betsy Putch: ?
    Shauna Dicanio: ?
    Morgan Tookers: IEE
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with you on Danny being Ti-leading but for others I see it shaking out differently

Mindy Lahiri: LIE
    Danny Castellano: LII
    Jeremy Reed: ESE

Gwen Grandy: ?
    Betsy Putch: ?
    Shauna Dicanio: ?
    Morgan Tookers: SEE

Adam Pally: SEE
    Brendan Deslaurier: ILI
    Duncan Deslaurier: IEI
    Cliff Gilbert: ESI

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you mind expanding your thoughts of Mindy as an LIE?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm yeah maybe I can try to expand on it. Let me think this out..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohoho I wrote this bit off and on over the course of the last 2 weeks:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, to take a stab at this : ))

To start with a pretty straightforward explanation.

A recurring major plot element for a lot of the show has been variations of: Mindy gets a new boyfriend or becomes involved again with an old one. The way she goes about it, in particular, has been her kind of chasing after them, or coming on to them. Deciding to go here, or follow them there, without really a ton of coaxing from them. On her schedule, sort of. This looks aggressor-ish. Then, combined with how a fair amount of her humor is related to putting herself down, to try to be relatable to other characters/the viewer, gives it a pseudo-aggressor slant. Which means vaguely gamma: either INTp or ENTj

While a lot of stuff happens to Mindy and some of it could probably be characterized as character/emotional development, she doesn’t act with much explicit emotional nuance in response to anything except maybe the largest changes. Maybe a lot of witty comments directed at emotional affairs or other characters but not a lot of nuanced emotional responsiveness. Which pushes her towards xxTj.

Then, there’s just the way she dresses compared to all the other characters. It’s pretty out there in the way that says more xNTx than xSFx. Again, her rapid fire and conceptual sense of humor seems xNTx and then ENTj in particular.

To a certain extent, I feel like both child and victim types have a flexible performance ability to take on characteristics of people outside their type. This would explain how they could be satisfactory, up to a certain extent, for aggressors and caregiver types, even if the match is not correct. This would also explain why Mindy can kind of look ESE in her relationship with Danny. And why Danny started to look somewhat more ESI-like to me once he got with Mindy. They may have sensed what the other wanted and stretched to accommodate out of respect for the relationship. Overall, they still seem LIE and LII though.

All this said, the strongest factor for why I type her as ENTj is actually initial video VI. For my own judgments, I use VI for a variety of reasons (though I can only do video VI or in-person VI, photographs are way too up in the air). I can't exactly depend on VI explanations to make an argument. So in this area I'll note that I think that actors, especially less skilled ones (like Mindy..), can't easily fully embody different types. I think they often act as their own type but in a particular character's story context. Which is why I typed Mindy through video VI both in-character and in interviews. The way she talks and stares at things.. is pretty similar to me --and what I’ve compared to other’s overall VIs of ENTjs. Then as I worked through articulating my explanation, checking her behavior against the other Fe-leaders, she still came out a Te-leader.

With this process in mind you could say that I suffered from confirmation bias (via VI) for her type.

But.. since my argument here was presented in the reverse of that thought process, it's kind of up to your judgment whether or not my argument is mostly bias or whether it holds any water.

Now that's my bit of nerding about the Mindy Project <*3
    Last edited by may; 04-02-2015 at 07:16 PM.

TIM
    IEI 4w3 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol she's not an LIE! She seems like an ENFj to me!

Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mindy Kaling - ESTP(?)
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate to her a lot, lol, I vote EIE.. and Danny seems LSI to me as well. She's internally a hard worker and Exxj sort of rigid, but externally bubbly, silly and even a bit foppish, like myself. I find that EIE females can often seem a bit frivolous

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari